Becoming a Disney Travel Agent - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Universe: General Trip Planning and Discussion > Ask the Travel Agents: Your Q&A
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Talking Becoming a Disney Travel Agent

I am interested in becoming a travel agent that specializes in Disney Vacations. We travel to Disney often. All my friends come to me for advice. I help with their resort choices, dining choices and putting together an itinerary. I would love to do this for a living and make some extra money. I am a stay at home mom whose children are in school all day. I would like to work for myself or out of my home. Any advice on where to begin? What classes to take? Any help is very much appreciated.
June 2005 - Allstar Music
Dec. 2005 - Wilderness Lodge
May/June 2006 - Pop Century/Animal Kingdom Lodge
June 2006 - Disneyland
Dec. 2007 - Poly / AKL
My PassPorter Bookshelf
threeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Navigator

"There are probably as many ways of being a home-based travel agent as there are home-based travel agents. No one does it exactly the same."

That is quoted from Kelly Monaghan, of the Intrepid Travel's site Becoming a Travel Agent - The Home-Based Travel Agent Resource Center. He offers a good course which will give you a lot of details, information and point you in the right direction once you decide if this is what you want to do.

It's not hard to become a home-based agent but there are questions and decisions that you will have to make. What type of agent: booking or referral? To use a host agency or not? Will you need specialized training or courses?

The work can be sporadic and frustrating yet equally rewarding, both financially and personally. It may take time to establish a client base so it helps to go into it with your eyes wide open as to the limitations (and potential) to this type of work.

Feel free to email or PM me with any additional questions!

Yes, I am a Disney Addict... and I'd rather be cruising!.
My Countdown Counting down to: Megan's Suite-16th surprise birthday cruise!
Ahoy, Mickey!
My Previous TripsAug 97, Inaguaral DCL 1998, Sept 98, Aug 02, Dec 03, May 04, Jul 07, Aug 04, Nov 04, May 05, WDW & DCL Dec 05, May 06, Jul 06, Oct 06, DCL Mar 07, WDW & DCL May 07, Dec 07, DL & DCL EB Panama Aug 08, non-DCL Dec 08, Aug 09, DCL Jan 10
OffKilter_Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

I'm going to second everything Lynn has to say about Kelly. His books are top notch and the Desk Reference is always close at hand. In addition, I'd recommend the books by Tom and Joanie Ogg (Home Based Travel Agent Information Center).

There's more to selling travel than just knowing the destination, although that's an important part of it. It's a business, and you have to treat it as one.

I would recommend taking Disney's course work. I would also recommend taking several of the CLIA courses. They have courses that teach you about valuable skills such as telephone sales and groups.
dmpyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Passenger

Smile Disney Training

Hi,

To become a Disney Travel Agent you should also take the free Disney classes they offer online. These are Disney's College of Knowledge training classes. You must be a travel agency or join a travel agency to get access to these training classes.

The Disney College of Knowledge classes will teach you about Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line and Adventures by Disney as well as their reservation system. They also have additional classes and a great deal more information at this site. You also "earn your ears" and will get some very cool Mickey ears when you graduate. Don't worry, you can take the classes at your own pace and you can retake the online tests. It's about 7 hours to do all the classes, and you can split this up over time.

Joining a travel agency " a Host Agency" allows you to get access. I would look at travel agencies that specialize in Disney vacations. Find out what they charge to join, what training other than the Disney's College of Knowledge they offer, what support they offer, commissions they pay, etc.

Lisa and I love Disney and that is why we got started planning guest vacations. We started off as cast members at Walt Disney World in our college years and worked at Disney World for many many years. It's so much fun.

Have fun learning about Disney.

Disney Vacation Planners
Pixie Vacations
http://www.PixieVacations.com
stevegriswold is offline   Reply With Quote