How do I know if a USA travel agent is legitimate? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Universe: General Trip Planning and Discussion > Ask the Travel Agents: Your Q&A
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 6
How do I know if a USA travel agent is legitimate?

Hi,

I'm from the UK and have got a quote from kingdom magic travel, it's a great price but I'm not sure how to check if the company is legitimate. They lady seems lovely and so helpful but I am a little concerned as in the uk travel agents work very differently to the US ones.

Sorry if these are silly questions but

Please can you advise if you have heard of this company and if its ok and also how to check USA travel agents for validity.

Thanks guys
Clare
Proud DVC owner at BWV from March 2011

My Countdown Counting down to: WDW Wedding and DCL honeymoon
I am now a married lady
My Previous TripsDisneyland (Cali) 1993, Disneyland Paris 2000, International Drive - Sept 2007, Disney World POR Aug 29th 2009, BWV and Universals Royal Pacific Dec 2012, BWV DFTW and Disney Fantasy Cruise Oct 2013
Clare loves Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

PassPorter's Club Passholder
What's this?

Community Rank: Explorer

I've known the folks at Kingdom Magic for many years, though I've never booked travel with them. They don't participate here on the PassPorter message boards, so I'm not sure how many PassPorter folks will know of the agency or be in a position to make a personal recommendation, though asking in our WDW, DLR, or DCL planning forums is always a good step. (Only travel agents and some moderators can reply to posts in this forum.)

Generally, travel agents in the U.S. are required to register with their state authorities. Those requirements vary state by state, and I'm not certain that every state requires it (some states have a strong interest in consumer protection, some states lean more towards "caveat emptor"). Kingdom Magic's site lists their Florida Seller of Travel number. This registration number helps you to check with (or complain to) the state agency in charge of such things. You'll very commonly see a "CST" number on web sites as well. This is "California Seller of Travel," and many web-based agencies will have this, as it's required of agencies both inside and outside of California that sell to residents of California. Again, it's not a seal of approval, but a license number. Here's the California Attorney General's web site, which explains how it works. It's common to see two registration numbers on a site - the agency's home state registration number, plus California's. Each state has different licensing requirements, but commonly, in addition to conforming to the state's general business registration and taxation requirements, the agency must also follow certain financial/insurance requirements in order to safeguard their client's payments.

You'll also often see the logos of the IATA (International Air Transport Association), CLIA (Cruise Lines International Association), and others. Both of those large industry organizations offer agent/agency training/accreditation/certification programs. I'm not sufficiently expert to explain specifically what the IATA and CLIA logos on an agency web site represent.

"Authorized Disney Vacation Planner" also has meaning, as it indicates the agency has a contractual relationship with Disney and that it conforms to specific Disney requirements. Again, I'm not sufficiently expert to explain all the specifics.

I trust that the agents here will fill in the gaps, and explain where I may have gone wrong .

Co-Author, PassPorter's Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line, and PassPorter's Disneyland and Southern California Attractions

http://www.passporter.com/
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Magic Post-Drydock
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsToo many to recall!
Dave Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Sorry for the delay ... But thank you so much for this info dave its great thanks
Proud DVC owner at BWV from March 2011

My Countdown Counting down to: WDW Wedding and DCL honeymoon
I am now a married lady
My Previous TripsDisneyland (Cali) 1993, Disneyland Paris 2000, International Drive - Sept 2007, Disney World POR Aug 29th 2009, BWV and Universals Royal Pacific Dec 2012, BWV DFTW and Disney Fantasy Cruise Oct 2013
Clare loves Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Florida Seller of Travel requires some rather large bonding requirements. And each agent who does business with anyone in FL is required to register and pay a fee each year. It wasn't worth it to me so I don't work with anyone from FL.

But anyone show the CLIA or IATA logos should be considered "legit". Both organizations watch for improper use of their logos.

One thing to be safe is to make sure the agency doesn't directly handle your money. When a client gives me their credit card numbers I call it directly to the supplier and the charge shows up as that supplier. As long as this is what you are seeing you should be vary safe.
dmpyron is offline   Reply With Quote