best time for dolphin swim at Discovery Cove? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Florida Destinations Beyond Walt Disney World > Central Florida Attractions: SeaWorld, Discovery Cove, Busch Gardens
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

Question best time for dolphin swim at Discovery Cove?

I have my DC confirmation and it states that the dolphin swim times can be reserved up to 48 hours before your visit. I'm wondering if it's better to do the swim in the morning (will the water be colder in the AM?) or in the afternoon after lunch. I'm thinking our 2 sons (12 & 9) might be better off doing the dolphin swim in the AM because by afternoon they may be tired after swimming all day.

I'd love to hear from those of you who did the dolphin swim part at DC.

Thanks,
Kathy

kplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
I'd love to hear some answers as well. When we last went, we didn't have an option on the dolphin swim times - we were told when we arrived in the morning. I seem to recall we had a swim around lunchtime, as we did the swim and then had a late lunch.

Enjoying time in beautiful Verona on our Italy road trip. The trip reports for our cruise on the Magic around Greece and Turkey and a day out in Paris are now complete.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.
My Countdown Counting down to: Our wedding anniversary
12 days, 15 hours, 39 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Legend

We didn't have that option when we went. I would think the water temp will not differ as they can't have too much variance for the dolphins. I would recommend doing it earlier than later. I know the photos and such available for purchase take a bit to get printed, etc. The complimentary photo they took of us, took forever to get as they were way behind. Ours was right around 11 if I remember correctly. I know we ate lunch afterwards.

Have fun!

Next trip _ Feb 2012
My Countdown Counting down to: Adults Only Winter Getaway
105 days, 2 hours, 39 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsJune 1992-offsite, Sept 1998-Honeymoon at WL, Dec 2000 CBR, April 2001-offsite, Aug 2002-AS Sports, May 2004 Mother/Daughter trip w/ my mom AKL&CBR, Jan 2005-Graduation trip AKL&CBR. May 2008-POR, Aug 2008-AS Movies, Jan 2011-AS Sports, June 2012-SSR Treehouse Villa (First trip home as DVC owners), Dec 2012-SSR Treehouse Villa, May 2013-SSR/AKV, Feb 2014-OKW, July 2014-POFQ
wdwlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

best time for dolphin swim

Thanks for the replies! I think I will definitely ask for a time before lunch and hope they will accomodate us. I'm also thinking of surprising my husband with the special event package---for our 17th anniversary since we'll be there for it! I believe they have a dolphin come up to you with a buoy with a special message on it. I have to check on the details...price...availability, etc.

Kathy

Old 05-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

I arrived at Discovery Cove around 9 am and my dolphin swim time was around 11:15. I did the swim and had lunch afterwards. The water temperature felt like 60 degrees and never changes. After being in the water for a few minutes, you get used to the cold.

I suppose you could request a specific time, though.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

We did DC just last Saturday. We also did not have an option; we were given our time when we checked in. Our swim time wasn't until 12:40, and I think that was perfect! We don't have kids, though, it was just me and my husband. The water temp is always around 74 degrees for the animals (thank God for wetsuits). Our pics and videos were ready for us no problem when we left around 4:30-5:00. I, personally, was glad to have eaten lunch before my dolphin time, and we were able to snorkel and do the Lazy River a few times each! Have fun when you go!!

Bakelins chillin' at the pool after a fun week at Disney!
BeatlesBran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Smile best time for dolphin swim

Thanks, Brandi!

Love the picture! I think we'll have to get the wetsuits...I don't want all of us to be shivering! Did you wear the wetsuits all day or just for the dolphin swim?

Another question---they say they give you a sample of the special sunscreen and that you can buy more there. Is it pricey? I think I read online they use a special Panama Jack sunscreen that's safe for the animals and I think at the Panama Jack site it was about $7.00 a bottle. I was just wondering if the price is much higher buying it there. I know we'll all need more than just the sample because we're all very fair.

Thanks again,
Kathy

Old 05-14-2007, 03:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

We have gone twice and both time were a little different first time I we got a 9:ish time then second was around 10:30 or so. Both times seemed to be good for us. Kids were 10 and 11 at the time. They enjoyed it much. We kept our wetsuits on the whole time as they helped the boys float a bit in the lazy river. Kept you a little warmer also. This was an awesome experience for us. We loved it. Just wish there was a little more time with the dolphins. We Had Capricorn both times. If you get him tell him the Coulombe's said Hi.
SWOOPERDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

I attempted the vest for, oh, about 5 minutes. Then Tom talked me into the wetsuit. THANK GOD he did. We wore ours all day. They certainly help with the cold water, and the staff told us to wear them in any water with animals.

We never even bought the sunscreen. The samples they gave us were plenty for us (and my hubby has a bald head). We got 2 samples each in our bags, and with the wetsuits, you didn't have as much skin to cover. I never even checked the price on it. Sorry I can't help you there.

I WILL recommend water shoes, though. I grabbed some at the WalMart before we went ($4.88) and they were great, especially in the coral reef. You can't wear them with the dolphins, but I wore them all day otherwise!

Old 05-14-2007, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Smile best time for dolphin swim

Thanks again for the replies! Great info! Now we're all extremely excited!

Brandi...thanks for the info on the sunscreen and wetsuits. I'll make sure we all get them---we'll be warm and it will cover us up from the sun too! I'm glad they give you a couple packs of the sunscreen too.

Only a week and a half to our trip!

Kathy

Old 05-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

No problem! I hope y'all have a great trip. You will LOVE DC!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
We had a 9:00am time, and we really liked it, since we got to do the swim straight away and never once looked at the clock the rest of the day. We had a most relaxing day that way...You're going to love it! We are a super-fair family of 5 and the samples of sunscreen were plenty for us. We reapplied mid-day, and no one got sunburned (which is a miracle in itself ).

Fantasyland Fun!

Rebecca Guide DL Feasting and Snacking:The Eateries and DL Touring the Lands: Disney Parks
My Countdown Counting down to: Disneyland 10k
Running for Fun!
My Previous TripsToo many DLR trips to count! WDW Nov. 2004, July 2005, Jan, Mar, & Nov. 2006. DCL Nov. 2004 & Nov. 2006
Tink and co. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

Smile best times for dolphin swim

Great info! We're less than a week away from our trip to Orlando so we're all getting excited!

Thanks to all who replied for all the wonderful tips!
Kathy
Blakely, PA