Tips on Photographing at Disney World - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Villa: Sharing the Fun Together > The Darkroom: Photography and Videotaping
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Tips on Photographing at Disney World

I did a blog post this weekend about tips I recommend with regards to photographing a Disney vacation (as a result of lots of recent questions.) Thought I'd share here in case anyone's interested. These are basic things that I have been asked about.

Most Magical Place- Panama City Beach Family Photographer | Panama City Beach, 30a, Destin, Northwest Florida Beach Portrait Photography | Melissa Dobereiner Photography

Mel

COMPLETED (includingl MNSSHP)-Most Everyone's Mad Here

Ongoing and Never Ending TR: Updated 9/13- The Perpetual Disney Adventures with the D Family
mdobereiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Batman's Gal/Mickey's Pal
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 6
Great list of tips, Melissa! But I still have a question, what settings are you using for the MNSHHP and MVMCP parade photos? Did you use a tripod, too? I've tried several settings and my photos are still just lousy.

Meeting my favorite Mouse and he talks!

Scrapbook pages completed in 2014 = 190/250 pages

Our most recent WDW Adventures are here A Spring Adventure: Wilderness, Flowers, and the Force PTR (with Cam and Luke)

Cam22 PassPorter Co-Guide: The Darkroom , Sharing the Adventure: Disney World Trip Reports ,
The Porch , The Library , WDW Touring Plans and Globetrotting: General Trip Reports
My Countdown Counting down to: Fall Trek Home
Heading Home
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsVWL May 2014--SSR October 2013--AKL/Kidani June 2013--CBR October 2012--BWI June 2012--AKV Jambo House/Kidani Village June 2011 -- November 2010 Beach Club -- June 2010 Beach Club -- October 2009 CBR and Gaylord Palms -- June 2009 AKV/Kidani Village -- June 2008 VWL --June 2007 OKW--June 2006 Disney Wonder/SSR -- June 2005 SSR -- June 2004 VWL -- June 2003 AKL -- August 1997 Off Property -- March 1980 Cocoa Beach
Cam22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Original BagMan

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Legend

I'm not Melissa, but you've seen my photos. I usually go manual, push the ISO up to 800, sometimes 1600 depending on the camera, and hand hold at 1/30 or 1/50 using my body as a tripod or set the camera on a trash can, bench, or tree...

I'm hoping to post some pics from the last trip within the next few weeks, I can still only upload one photo at a time.

You can see some of my latest on Facebook, I've set up a number of albums... Got some good Tiger pics this trip!

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisneyland twice in 1970. WDW - 1985, 1987, and many times since 1999
LizardCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
Thanks for the tips. I need to follow several of them everyday not just at the park. You never know when a great shot will pop up.

My PassPorter Bookshelf
rhinohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam22 View Post
Great list of tips, Melissa! But I still have a question, what settings are you using for the MNSHHP and MVMCP parade photos? Did you use a tripod, too? I've tried several settings and my photos are still just lousy.
Hey Cam,

I'm happy to share my settings (I almost did in that post but that's venturing into more detail than what I've been asked about lately so I pulled out those parts )

Here are a few of the pictures:
IMG_2635.jpg
My settings were: F2.0, 1/200, ISO 3200

And

IMG_0659.jpg
My settings were: F2.2, 1/160, ISO 3200

As a general rule, I don't push my SS below 1/160 unless I'm shooting something stationary or unless I'm trying to achieve motion blur in a shot (think of the shots of car lights on a bridge type of thing...)

Depending on what you are shooting with, you might struggle to push your ISO too high within it becoming too grainy. The best way to combat that is with exposure- you will not notice grain in a photograph shot with a high ISO if it is exposed properly nearly like you see it in shots that are underexposed.

The next adjustment I make once I've pushed my ISO as far as I'd like is aperture. I shot these at F2.0 and F2.2 but for a parade, I'd drop that down to F1.8, maybe F1.6 before sacrificing shutter speed.

I didn't use a tripod (we are already lugging too much into the parks for Stella ) but I do have a tiny table top tripod I could throw in my bag if I felt like I needed it and then put in on a trash can. The other option, similar to what Lizardcop mentioned, is almost making yourself a human tripod. Depending on your balance, I will usually squat and brace my elbows on my thighs or just sit criss cross applesauce and brace my elbows on my thighs.

I hope that helps Cam!
Mel

Ongoing and Never Ending TR: Updated 9/13- The Perpetual Disney Adventures with the D Family
Old 12-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardCop View Post
I'm not Melissa, but you've seen my photos. I usually go manual, push the ISO up to 800, sometimes 1600 depending on the camera, and hand hold at 1/30 or 1/50 using my body as a tripod or set the camera on a trash can, bench, or tree...

I'm hoping to post some pics from the last trip within the next few weeks, I can still only upload one photo at a time.

You can see some of my latest on Facebook, I've set up a number of albums... Got some good Tiger pics this trip!
Bill, I'd love to check out your FB pictures- do you have them in a public album that I can see?

Oh Tiger, his orange fur is an editing nightmare!!!

Mel

Old 12-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinohunter View Post
Thanks for the tips. I need to follow several of them everyday not just at the park. You never know when a great shot will pop up.
Me too I'm thinking of trying to do a 365 day challenge in 2013- I'm just afraid I'll run out of ideas, lol!

Mel

Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Great Tips. And, wanted to add that I just love your Photos, Melissa!

Re shooting the parade, I found that it worked well shooting without a tripod. In fact, using a tripod would be difficult because the floats and characters are moving as they go by, so longer exposures won't work.

I shot the Christmas Parade at ISO 5000 and f/2.8 (which is the widest aperture setting I could get on the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens). My Canon 5DMIII is pretty good at higher ISO, but I could have probably dropped it to 3200 in retrospect.

Lightroom 4 is pretty good at helping reduce noise in the hi ISO photos, especially if you only want to make small prints or use them on the web.

I didn't really need as much telephoto as I used, but I wanted to get some close ups, like this one:

settings: ISO 5000, f/2.8, 1/500 sec, 138 mm (This was my first night time parade, so really wasn't sure what would work)

I used the same lens for the MSEP, and found I would have been better off going with my 50mm f1.4 lens.

Last edited by shazza; 12-17-2012 at 11:09 AM..
shazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza View Post
Great Tips. And, wanted to add that I just love your Photos, Melissa!

Re shooting the parade, I found that it worked well shooting without a tripod. In fact, using a tripod would be difficult because the floats and characters are moving as they go by, so longer exposures won't work.

I shot the Christmas Parade at ISO 5000 and f/2.8 (which is the widest aperture setting I could get on the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens). My Canon 5DMIII is pretty good at higher ISO, but I could have probably dropped it to 3200 in retrospect.

Lightroom 4 is pretty good at helping reduce noise in the hi ISO photos, especially if you only want to make small prints or use them on the web.

I didn't really need as much telephoto as I used, but I wanted to get some close ups, like this one:

settings: ISO 5000, f/2.8, 1/500 sec, 138 mm (This was my first night time parade, so really wasn't sure what would work)

I used the same lens for the MSEP, and found I would have been better off going with my 50mm f1.4 lens.
What a great shot!!!! My daughter just got very excited seeing Donald and Dasiy

I agree with you on the tripod, and if I wanted to bring something to provide some stability to my camera, I think I'd probably bring a monopod.

Mel

Old 12-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Original BagMan

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

On Facebook, most of my photos (that don't have personal family type pictures) are public. Search by e-mail and use bill@lizardcop.com. Friend me (let me know how I know you) and you can see them all...

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisneyland twice in 1970. WDW - 1985, 1987, and many times since 1999
Old 12-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Original BagMan

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdobereiner View Post
Me too I'm thinking of trying to do a 365 day challenge in 2013- I'm just afraid I'll run out of ideas, lol!

Mel
Looks like you live in or near Panama City Mel, you should have NO problems with ideas!!!

My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 12-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardCop View Post
Looks like you live in or near Panama City Mel, you should have NO problems with ideas!!!
Lol, during tourist season we sure don't!!!

Mel

Old 12-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

I loved the article. Gorgeous photos. I am thinking of buying a new camera. All of the comparisons and options make my head spin.
MomOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Thank you, Bill, Melissa, and Sharon! I love all three of your photos and just wish I would be more patient with myself when practice. Bill, I have your information on a post it that I care with me everywhere, and I've been using trash cans and anything else I can for support, but they are still either too dark or too blurry. I'm not remembering adjusting the f/s so that may be my problem. Melissa and Sharon, I'm making post its of your info and I'm determined to practice until I can get the colors as clear as you three and the pictures as crisp.

Our most recent WDW Adventures are here A Spring Adventure: Wilderness, Flowers, and the Force PTR (with Cam and Luke)

Cam22 PassPorter Co-Guide: The Darkroom , Sharing the Adventure: Disney World Trip Reports ,
The Porch , The Library , WDW Touring Plans and Globetrotting: General Trip Reports
Heading Home
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsVWL May 2014--SSR October 2013--AKL/Kidani June 2013--CBR October 2012--BWI June 2012--AKV Jambo House/Kidani Village June 2011 -- November 2010 Beach Club -- June 2010 Beach Club -- October 2009 CBR and Gaylord Palms -- June 2009 AKV/Kidani Village -- June 2008 VWL --June 2007 OKW--June 2006 Disney Wonder/SSR -- June 2005 SSR -- June 2004 VWL -- June 2003 AKL -- August 1997 Off Property -- March 1980 Cocoa Beach
Old 12-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

BTW -- I have a Sony Alpha 100 DSLR.

Heading Home
My PassPorter Bookshelf