Disney in 21 days gallbladder surgery 1 week ago ... - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans for Walt Disney World > Disney for Adults
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Passenger

Concierge Level: 3
Disney in 21 days gallbladder surgery 1 week ago ...

Please tell me I can do this! I was in such good shape; walking about 21 miles a week and then I had emergency gallbladder surgery after pancreasititus attack on 10/25! Leaving for WDW on 11/25! Should we use our trip insurance?
LesliePR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

You sound like a very health person. Take a week to see how you do with the surgery and then decide. Walking was easy for me after mine, but bending over to tie shoes did not happen. Thank heavens for crocs.
My Countdown Counting down to: Long Weekend #2 I blame the pins
Next Visit?
My Previous TripsWDW July 1974, Childhood trip date Unknown, May 1994, July 1996, September 2003, Sept/October 2006, January 2007, December 2008, Sept/October 2008,April 2010, Sept 2013, March 2014, September 2014
Hugmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

I have no advice for you, but lots of healing coming your way.

By the Terrace of the Lions on Delos Island on our magical Mediterranean vacation. A trip report for my day out at Leeds Castle is now complete.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.

My Countdown Counting down to: A day out in London and Kylie in concert in the evening!
8 days, 21 hours, 58 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

a week

I have had numerous surgeries in my life including Gall Bladder surgery. Not sure if they made an incision for yours or if they did it Laproscopically, but if they did it Laproscopically the recovery should be one week or so.

With no incision and the Gall Bladder gone, the only thing there is TO HURT is the puncture wounds from where they went into you to get your Gall Bladder out. There is very minimal pain, compared to other surgeries I have had.

I had my Gall Bladder surgery on a Tuesday and was back at work the following Monday with no restrictions (as a nurse) and probably could have gone back sooner.

I definitely would not cancel the trip especially since you have several weeks to go before your trip.

I have had 3 C-Sections and I was up and about after one week even with those. Not sure I could walk ALL DAY after a C-Section, but 3 weeks after, absolutely.

I have had about 12 surgeries in my life, including 4 abdominal surgeries and I have never had it take 3 weeks to recover from anything, including a Hysterectomy.

Now I know everybody is different and some ppl have a very low tolerance for pain and take the pain of recovery harder than others, but most average ppl heal pretty quickly unless it is something like Brain surgery or open heart surgery.

If they had to actually cut you open (make an incision) to get your Gall Bladder out I would give yourself closer to 2 weeks before I would attempt all that walking. But even when you have surgery IN THE HOSPITAL they usually get you up walking that day or the next morning and tell you, walking helps you heal faster.
10/27-11/4/12 All Star Music Family Suite (DDP) --Family Trip
4/14-4/19/13 Quality Suites Lake Buena Vista- Adults Only Trip
11/10-11/17/13 Wyndham Bonnet Creek- Adults Only Trip
11/2015 Wyndham Bonnet Creek- Family trip
My PassPorter Bookshelf
MsPeggySue911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

you can always get a wheelchair to limit the amount of walking in the park.
happy travels
steph steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

@mspeggysue!!! You are awe inspiring!!!! Thank you!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

If ur a fast healer u should b fine, had mine out a year ago, and I am not a fast healer, and I definitely agree with the tying shoes comment. Watch your twists and bends as well. I was back to campus and walking fine two days after surgery, just not able to do the other things. Have a great, safe journey. For speedier healing!!!
My Previous TripsUp to trip 10/11starting back in 1983,1985,1987 all off property, CBR 4's 2001,2002,2003, 2004 2005, AS MU 1999, 2000, ASMO 2007, 2008 Poly 2009, Pop 2013, 2014 CBR Graduation Trip
NOT A PACKER'S FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Everyone heals at a different rate...but Gall Bladder surgery is one of the easiest ones I have ever had. My age plays against me... but I would not cancel my trip due to the surgery. In fact, three weeks ago when it needed to be done, I had a similar conversation with my surgeon. I told him Disney was set in stone...if we could work the surgery and healing around it I would do it then, if not it would have to wait until I got back. He assured me I would be fine.

Well, we leave in a little less than a week, and he was right!

Nini
My PassPorter Bookshelf
QuiltsbyNini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 2
It took me a few weeks to recover from my gallbladder surgery in 2011, but then my gall bladder was in really bad condition when I had it removed. I was lucky that the surgeon was able to do the minor invasive surgery because he didn't think that he would be able to because it was in such bad condition. I know that for me personally, if I had been travelling a month after my surgery I probably would have rented an ECV just in case and to give me the opportunity to rest without having to return to the hotel. Also, you may have to be more aware of what and how much you're eating. I know it took me a good six months to get back to eating normally.

Next trip: November 2014

Previous trip: too many to count
My Countdown Counting down to: First Stay at All Star Movies
55 days, 16 hours, 28 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Red face

How was the trip and how are you feeling?
CynBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

I did great everybody!!! I just made sure to take a 2 to 3 hour break every day and I stayed off the roller coaster! I was walking so fast that my DS16 said "you are booking Mom! Slow down so WE can keep up!" So thanks for the encouragement ALL!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Red face

Glad you are doing well. Please tell us all about the trip.
CynBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

I know the original poster is back and all went well I just thought I would throw in my two cents if others read these like I do when something catches my eye. I too had GB surgery about 2 months ago. Non invasive it was the hardest week of my life! I have had two c-sections and a knee surgery by far this was the hardest to recover I even told my DR. I was sorry I had had the surgery ! But ,saying that, my recovery was only 6 days by the 7th I was feeling almost normal. Two weeks after mine I also headed on vacation to WDW. I wore a long dress on the plane as my tummy was still very sensitive and swollen but other than that no issues. I still have a few diet issues but not enough to really make any changes. (I had heard some horror stories).

[img][http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;0/st/20080412/e/Disney+Cruise/dt/-2/k/b69f/event.png[/img]
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Tripswdw1992,wdw dcl 2003,WDW DCL 2008, WDW 2012,WDW 9/2013,disneyland to many times to count
Kathleenlovesmickey is offline   Reply With Quote