DIY princess makeover instead of BBB - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans for Walt Disney World > Disney For Kids
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

DIY princess makeover instead of BBB

We've never been to Disney before and our first trip will be in Oct. My daughter will be 4 and I know she would love dressing up as a princess. However, I will not pay for BBB. I bought a princess dress from Target from the dress up clothes (we don't have a Disney store here) for $15.

What does BBB do to the girls? I read someone post about hair extensions, but where can you find them? I think I would prefer pink or purple extensions. Do they wear makeup of some sort as well? I can bring a curling iron to curl her hair and attempt to put it in some sort of updo. Most likely I will just pull it back though with long curls.

It would be helpful to know what we should bring with us. Thanks!
sixkristy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Concierge Level: 7
How they do the hair, depends on the package you purchase. I think the "rockstar" look is the one with the hair extensions and colored strands. The look I see on most little girls though is the top bun. They pull the hair back to the crown of the head and roll the hair down into like a barrel-roll, which is secured with probably lots of bobby pins and hairspray (LOTS of hairspray). They put in a small tiara up front and a mickey barrette in the back. If you google image the BBB you can find lots of pics of girls done up.

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDL 1990/1993/1996 :: WDW Aug 2003 (offsite) :: WDW Oct 2008 (offsite) :: WDW Oct 2009 Pop Century :: WDW Dec 2009 ASSports :: WDW April 2010 AKL-Kidani :: WDW Oct 2010 ASMovies :: DCL Oct 2010 Western Magic :: DCL Sept 2011 Bahamian Dream :: WDW Oct 2011 SSR :: WDW March 2012 OKW :: DCL Sept 2012 NY to Canadian Maritimes Magic :: DCL June 2013 Alaska Wonder :: WDW March 2014 ASMovies :: WDW Sept 2014 Wyndam Bonnet Creek
unewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

OK thanks. I don't want to attempt a bun and I doubt my daughter would go for it.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

I thought some pics would help, my DD had princess package at BBB.

The fairy god-mother in training did hair

painted fingernails

Makeup

Sprinkled her with glitter and here she is, all done.

She also put a sparkley flower on her cheek.

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDL. 1965, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1989, 1991, 1998, & 2008. WDW off site 1995, May/June 2011 ASMusic & DQ Chicago 1999, Pigeon Forge TN June 2012.

Last edited by Alaskan Mom; 01-02-2013 at 12:52 PM..
Alaskan Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

Concierge Level: 1
We did BBB our first year (DD was 4), and did the bun. However, each year since, my DD has dressed as someone without a visit to BBB. Ariel, Alice, Vidia... she hasn't decided for this year.

Whether you do the "official" BBB hair and dress up or not, she will be referred to as "princess" by many CMs. Especially if she is dressed up.

One other idea is to go by the Barber Shop. They don't do the updo's anymore from what I understand, but she can get coloring and confetti in her hair. This has become our new tradition. Especially for DS who has shown no interest in the Pirate's League.

One more suggestion - bring an extra outfit for her to change into. Sometimes we've needed to change, others we haven't, but I was glad to have the option.

We'll be there in October too. Can't beat the crowd levels and the weather at that time of year!
MilyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilyD View Post
We did BBB our first year (DD was 4), and did the bun. However, each year since, my DD has dressed as someone without a visit to BBB. Ariel, Alice, Vidia... she hasn't decided for this year.

Whether you do the "official" BBB hair and dress up or not, she will be referred to as "princess" by many CMs. Especially if she is dressed up.

One other idea is to go by the Barber Shop. They don't do the updo's anymore from what I understand, but she can get coloring and confetti in her hair. This has become our new tradition. Especially for DS who has shown no interest in the Pirate's League.

One more suggestion - bring an extra outfit for her to change into. Sometimes we've needed to change, others we haven't, but I was glad to have the option.

We'll be there in October too. Can't beat the crowd levels and the weather at that time of year!
Do you need an appt. for the barber shop? I doubt we'll go (I plan to bring cute hair accessories from home), but I understand the price is reasonable if we do go. She wants to dress up as Rapunzel (as of right now) and Belle. She will receive dresses for her birthday (thanks to the grandparents and aunts) so we won't need to buy much.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

We have always walked in, but they do take appointments. We've had the best luck early in the morning. Last year we went after lunch and waited for a bit because there were a couple of people in front of us. After checking in, you really can't leave, but DH went to the bakery, so we had something to keep us busy.

And, yes, the prices are reasonable - especially compared to BBB - and if you only do the pixie dust, it's very affordable.
MilyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

we are also going in october my DD(3 wll be 4 then) has an appointment at BBB for the 1st time this trip. We are bringing her dress and not paying for the big $189 package. I think the bun is cute and I'm sure if i played w/ her hair long enough before the trip i could probably do it myself....HOWEVER my precious little munchkin saw some you tube videos of girls at BBB and has decided she is all about the big hair look and no bun I bet you could find the pink/purple extensions at any beauty supply store or at target or walmart. Maybe you could make a big deal of it the morning you decide to do it and you can paint her nails and give her some lip gloss in your hotel room. The CM's will always call her princess anywhere she goes in costume or not... i think thats a disney rule and if its not it should be I have read alot of people on here commenting about the barber shop doing the hair now. going to look in to that when we are there w/ DH family in june. Have fun !!!!
My Previous TripsToo many to count in my childhood but most recent trips I can remember is our honeymoon at Grand Floridian 2002, OKW 2004,2005, Disneyland Grand Californian 2007, SSR 2009, BCV & Kidani 2010,BCV May 2011,WLV 2012, SSR 2013

Last edited by Tigger25; 04-30-2012 at 10:38 PM..
Tigger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Visitor

BBB

We will be going in May and I have three nieces that will be going for the first time. BBB can get very expensive and there was no available times for the week we are going. Looking online I found that you can call the Ivory Trellis Salon at the Grand Floridian and they will do a Princess Make over for much less then it cost at BBB. They will do hair and makeup, you will need to bring the dress, tiara and glitter. This is a more intimate setting and my nieces will still get to have a princess make over. Just ask for the flower girl bundle plus make up. If you are interested....
My Previous TripsWDW 2011
RhZarkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Community Rank: Passenger

My daughter and I took our first trip to the world when she was 5. It was an amazing experience. I also brought dresses purchased at home and did the DIY. I would recommend it. As someone else suggested bring a change of clothes with you or have her wear a tank top and shorts under the dress and simply take it off if she gets tired of it. You can purchase the exact tiara that BBB uses at many of the gift shops. I did her bangs in a ponytail at the top of her head to give the tiara something to hold it in place. Bring some nice sparkly make up and she'll be all set. It is true that she will gets tons of attention from cast members if she is wearing a costume, weather from the BBB or brought from home. It makes no difference and you see lots of little girls doing it.

To answer what the BBB "does" our last trip we splurged for hair and makeup. (Brought our own dress from home) The Fairy Godmothers in Training are great and really make the experience. The most popular do' was the hair pulled up in a bun with a cover of extensions put over it. Glittery makeup and nail polish. My daughter really enjoyed the after make over photo shoot more than the make over. There is also a photopass photographer at the BBB to capture the whole experience.

In all BB was a nice addition to our trip, but not a "must do." I would strongly recommend you bring a dress, some fancy lip gloss, face glitter and nail polish. My favorite updo is a high ponytail, gel it and twist into a bun. Hold the ends in with a few bobby pins. This is a great base to attach a tiara, ribbons or hair extensions. When you take it down the twist will leave a nice curl.

Have a great trip !
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW April 2009, WDW December 2011, WDW April 2013
MsLydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
Btw, I got free pixie dust in my hair one night when we were just wandering around shops. The CM's in the nearby BBB came out into the Emporium on Main Street because they weren't busy, they said, and were offering free pixie dust to anyone who wanted it.

An older lady near us remarked that the stuff doesn't come out as easily as you'd think, but when it does, will go all over your house. Even though I've long since washed everything I wore that evening, I occasionally see little glimmers of pixie dust in the seams of the shirt I had on then.

So, overgrown kids can enjoy the fun sometimes, too, if you happen to get a bit of magic as I did.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.
Her Dotness is offline   Reply With Quote