Pin Trading - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Disneyland Resort California > DL: Planning Your Disneyland Adventure
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 6
Pin Trading

In everything I've read or heard, pin trading is between CMs and park guests, but what about between park guests? If we have a line wait, I thought some trading might help pass time for the 6 yr old. Anyone ever traded guest to guest?
14 hours, 53 minutes
My Previous Trips(2 many 2 count b4 1994)~~DLR 5/1994~~DLR 11/1999~~WDW/Disney Cruise 10/2005~~DLR 4/2008~~DLR 10/2008~~DLR 5/2010~~DLR 3/2013
Lilianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Faith, Trust, Pixie Dust

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 7
I have traded with guests on occation, but overall have found that experience to be less than desireable. Have encountered several "rude" folk who love to tell you why your pins are less valuable and desireable than yours...and that has been after they have approached me to trade. I stick with the friendly CMs!!
DebiDebiDebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

I'll keep that in mind, Debi.
14 hours, 53 minutes
My Previous Trips(2 many 2 count b4 1994)~~DLR 5/1994~~DLR 11/1999~~WDW/Disney Cruise 10/2005~~DLR 4/2008~~DLR 10/2008~~DLR 5/2010~~DLR 3/2013
Old 02-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

We stick with CMs because they have to trade.
My DD wanted to trade with another park guest when she was about 6 and he said no because her pins weren't "good enough" and his were all "more valuable."

My Previous Trips1974 w/mom and best friend -- 1976 w/parents -- 5/2002 ASMo DD's 1st visit -- 11/2002 ASMo w/hubby and the Princess (2 trips that year - what luck!) -- 2005 POP holiday trip -- 2006 ASMo w/ DH, DD, B and SIL for niece's graduation -- 2/2009 DLR -- 11/2009 ASMu -- 11/2010 POFQ & 12/2010 POP -- Non-Disney trips: too many to mention
Carousel96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Seems to be a running theme with the park guests.

I was actually thinking more of helping my 6 yr old trade with another kid in line.
14 hours, 53 minutes
Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

My kids have traded with others a few times and one time my DH nearly got run down by someone wanting a pin we had (it finished his collection and was just a trader to us). All the times we have done it has been okay, but make sure your kids are aware that CM's have to trade whereas guests do not. As long as they understand that give it a try. I can't believe people are so rude to say their pins are "more valuable", geez what happened to being polite and saying something like the pins are special to you or there aren't any you want to trade right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 4/25/1/8/2000+ TR (Sept. 7-14, 2013)
Surf & Turf 2014! (February 22-March 6, 2014)
My Countdown Counting down to: Surf and Turf 2014
Cruising for Fun!
My Previous TripsDLR twice before I turned 5 (don't know exact dates but 1974-78 - off property) - DLR 1990 (off property) - WDW June 1992 (off property) - WDW July 2003 (off property) - WDW May 2007 (Animal Kingdom Lodge) - DLR June 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) - WDW Nov. 2008 (Boardwalk Villas) - WDW Jan. 2010 (Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani) - DLR Oct. 2011 (Disneyland Hotel/Grand Californian Villas) - DLR Feb. 2012 (Grand Californian Villas) - WDW April 2013 (Animal Kingdom Villas - Jambo Club Level) - WDW Sept. 2013 (Old Key West)
TuffyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

I agree with Stefani (TuffyCO).

Over the years when this subject comes up with everyones experiences, pros and cons. there is a fact that very seldom is mentioned and your children should be aware of is the fact that many, many adults whom wear lanyards with pins are not pin collectors. They are adults whom love a character and possibly a particular ride, etc. and enjoy pins.

Not being pin collectors they purchase theirs pin from the pins shops and wear them proudly on a lanyard around their neck as pin collectors do. This is why you see the good pins" on their lanyard. They paid more money for them. You will see such adults and pins in the parks.

How much did you pay for your child's pins? Probably not nearly as much as the non pin collector. So why do you expect a higher priced pin for the cheaper ones bought in lots?

I have seen several children ask these adults if they would like to trade pins and in each case with a surprise look on their face (the adult) they politely smiled and said no thank you. The children are diaappointed, of course, because they probably have already seen a pin that they assumed will be traded and if young enough they might not understand it because all the CMs will trade any pin freely. Remember that children are not generally aware of the quality and prices, only it's a one for one trade.

A few years ago Disney was passing out a double set of pins labels as something like one for me and one to trade. They were nice Tinkerbells with tiny colored rheinstones. A small boy waiting to trade with a CM (with his parents) came up to me and wanted to trade for a small Tinkerbells that he liked which to me I should have thrown away. I asked him what he had to trade and he showed me another Tinkerbell which was larger, very nice and for his mother. Instead I showed him the rheinstone Tinkerbell which I think mom had bought (not a trader). No way, he wanted that tiny one "for his mother". In the meantime mom was trying to talk him out of the trade without results. He was here to trade and wanted the Tinkerbell I had. I had to duck to miss the daggers mom was quietly throwing at me. I told him being it was for his mother I would give it to him. His mom was out of dagges until the kid said, NO, I'm suppose to trade. Mom found the daggers and I ducked again. I traded with the boy but while he was hiding it from his mother I slipped the pin back to mom which immediately went into her purse. As one would say, "she was a happy camper."

Let your child know in advance that it is only the CM adults whom do the pin trading with children. Yes I know, there are exceptions.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Concierge Level: 1
DH had a child come to him to trade while on the bus. It was a simple trade and it made the child happy - no harm. We usually trade with CM's but DH was happy to trade with another guest.

My Countdown Counting down to: Oct 25, 2014 - Land and Sea!!!
190 days, 9 hours, 23 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW April 2010 CSR (1st trip ever), WDW Nov 2010 AKL (honeymoon after 14 years of marriage), WDW Nov 2011 (1st DVC trip) BLT, WDW Sept 2012 OKW, 2013 Christmas time split stay - SS/OKW
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

I would totally trade with a child if they asked me, but I wouldn't encourage my child to trade with an adult. As I said, I was thinking more of kid to kid trading while waiting in line.
14 hours, 53 minutes