Nearby non-Disney hotels - your recommendation? - Page 2 - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Disneyland Resort California > DL: Staying in Style: The Hotels
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
I will be staying at the Paradise Pier on a business trip but I am looking one additional night before or after. I would like to do something less expensive than the on-site hotels but I will be by myself so I want to pick somewhere that I will be safe and feel comfortable. Any more suggestions?
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Nbr1wdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

WE stayed at the Carousel Inn. It is fine for one night and we felt safe there. There is also a Fairfield Inn close by that would be a little more but the breakfast will be better.

Fun at Jambo House
My Countdown Counting down to: Christmas in a Treehouse
146 days, 8 hours, 23 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDLR '82, WDW '89, '91, '95. POR'97,DLH'03, DLH'06, OKW Jan. & SSR June '08 VWL March 09, BWV Jan 10, VWL March '11, Branson MO June 2011, DLR Sept 2011, Tree House Adventure & Harry Potter Birthday Bash June 2012! Haunted Mansion holiday DLR Oct 2012, ASM & AKL June 2013, BWV Spring Break 2014
Kynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

Concierge Level: 2
Can anyone comment on the hotels a bit farther south down Harbor Blvd from DL (addresses actually in Garden Grove)? There seem to be a lot like Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, Embassy Suites, etc. They look just a block or two away from DL on a map, but how far are they really?
Old 09-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

Concierge Level: 3
Ashli, how did you like the Park Vue Inn? I was looking into that place for a trip next summer, I'd love to hear what you thought about it

My first TR:A Very Merry SurpriseHere we go again: Goin' Down the Bayou Our Anniversary Trip: Happy 10 Years

My Countdown Counting down to: Our Second Cruise
327 days, 19 hours, 23 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsYearly trips to WDW as a child with my family (1982 - 1989), WDW/Universal 1992, Senior Class Trip to WDW June 1994, WDW 2001, First Family Trip with my girls 2009, First MNSSHP October 2010, First MVMCP November 2011, POR November 2012, POR and our first cruise on the Dream August 2013
JKnott17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #20 (permalink)

I think I have decided on the Fairfield Inn. Does anyone have any experience / opinions to share?
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Nbr1wdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohj80 View Post
Can anyone comment on the hotels a bit farther south down Harbor Blvd from DL (addresses actually in Garden Grove)? There seem to be a lot like Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, Embassy Suites, etc. They look just a block or two away from DL on a map, but how far are they really?
For us, those are not really in the walking range. We don't have any special health issues or anything- maybe it's just perceptual but those are very long blocks. We do walk to the Hojo (Howard Johnson) and even that feels far but seeing DL right across the street compensates for it ;-) You get a higher quality of hotel in those you mentioned but dealing with either parking or shuttle service is not something we have liked. We stayed at the Holiday Inn once on short notice from Hotwire and the shuttle took FOREVER b/c of traffic congestion at one light. I don't like to deal with traffic once we have driven all the way down so I prefer the hotels you can walk to. We used to stay at BW Park Place Inn and mini-suites which is literally across the street at the light, but the Hojo has nicer rooms and the castaway water play area. Also they offer a good Annual Pass discount.

My Countdown Counting down to: early halloween celebration
boo!
My Previous TripsDisneyland 2007, WDW first visit Aug 2008, DD's Birthday visit to DL-March 2009, First Calif Adventure Visit 3/09,DL 6/2009, DL 9/09, DL 10/09, DLR Birthday trip 11/09, DLR New Year's Trip 1/10, DD's birthday trip 3/10, Escape to DLR 4/10,6/10, 8/10, 1/11, 9/11, 3/12, 9/12
sbJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKnott17 View Post
Ashli, how did you like the Park Vue Inn? I was looking into that place for a trip next summer, I'd love to hear what you thought about it

We really enjoyed it. We would definitely stay there again. The location can't be beat - it is literally across the street from the main entrance to the DL parks! (I was especially surprised about how decent the price is when I saw just how short of a walk it is to the parks.) It was about a five minute, easy walk to the turnstiles. The rooms were clean, the hotel was quiet, and the breakfast was nice.

Me and DH Kyle in Natal, Brazil to see the US beat Ghana!!
My Brazil World Cup 2014 PTR: http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...ml#post4321335
My Countdown Counting down to: MNSSHP and our first stay at Saratoga Springs!
56 days, 5 hours, 23 minutes
My Previous TripsVarious day trips WDW 1990-99; DL 1995; GF WDW Jan. 1997; POFQ WDW May 1999; AKL WDW Jan. 2002 (during which I became engaged at Disney Boardwalk); WDW most Fridays 2002; MNSSHalloween WDW 2002; ASMovies & all parks WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2006; CB WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2007; POFQ WDW May 2008; POR WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2008; WL WDW May/June 2009; POP WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2009; ASMu WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2010; CSR WDW January 2011; DLR (Park Vue Inn) June 2011; ASMo WDW & MNSSHP Oct 2011; CBR WDW January 2012; DL Paris - Davy Crockett Ranch May 2012; Art of Animation & AS Sports, MNSSHP Sept 2012; CSR & MVMCP Nov/Dec 2012; Pop MK May 2013; ASMO MNSSHP Oct 2013 Other countries I've visited: Brazil, South Africa, Kazakhstan, Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Czech Republic, Poland, and Canada.
Ashli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #23 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr1wdwfan View Post
I think I have decided on the Fairfield Inn. Does anyone have any experience / opinions to share?
We've stayed there twice and really enjoyed it! They redid the rooms after we stayed there, there is a McD's in the parking lot on the way to the park. When you go into the lobby area there are elevators that take you up to your rooms, there are no indoor corridors though, fyi, but I felt perfectly safe. The floors are the types that have a small walkway alongside that are outside, but you are more secure because you can't get to them other than the elevator.

There was a Seattle's Best Coffee & a Pizza Hut in the building, and an arcade/deli in the same area. They will hold your luggage in a separate room if you get there too early, and they will call you when your room is ready.

They also had lemonade when we walked in the door after a long day at the parks, which was a small gesture, but very much appreciated!! I highly recommend them. You can also see (and hear) the fireworks from the balconies!
marriedtoeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

We're headed to DLR Dec 11-14 and would love some feedback from y'all about Camelot Inn. (The price on Expedia was decent and the ratings reasonably positive.)

We've stayed at the Candy Cane Inn before & enjoyed it, but our boys are big enough to not need a shuttle as long as we're close to the crosswalk.

Thanks!

Now, Beakie, we'll just flip this switch and 60,000 refreshing volts of electricity will surge through your body. Ready?
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew
My Countdown Counting down to: 4 Days at DLR with the family!
Big doings today!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDLR Jul 2012, DLR Dec 2008, DLR Dec 2007, DLR Dec 2003, WDW Jun 2000, WDW May 1996, DLR Mar 1992, DLR Mar 1985, DLR Apr 1982, DLR Apr 1981, DLR Apr 1980, DLR Jun 1979, DLR Aug 1976, DLR Aug 1974, DLR Jun 1972, DLR Jul 1970, DLR Aug 1968
aka pastor guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohj80 View Post
I love love love the Hilton, only place we stay at DL. The price is similar to those across the street from DL, but way more co comfy beds. You can also get a balcony facing the theme parks too. The breakfast buffet is wonderful, staff always nice. Its more of a luxury hotel and you get the comforts of that. Plus you can use the Anaheim shuttle if you dont want to walk to the parks.

First family vacation

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDLR monthly until 2010, POP 1/2007, CSR 3/2012, POP 5/2012, DLR 12/2012, BC 11/2013
mrswhitbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #26 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Mark, we were there in '11 and it was okay, decent room but nothing spectacular. But they were doing major, major work and the thing looks like it changed dramatically. But for our October trip last year vs 2011 prices went from about $85/night to almost $150!

I stayed at the HoJo for a seminar last year and will do so again this year. Nice, rooms, two nice water areas, easy walking distance and it's one of the stops on the cheapest and easiest DL Express routes. Walking distance was okay, but we were there mostly for the seminar, although Disney made us take some 2 day hoppers. Sigh. What I do for my business.

The hotels down into Garden Grove are a trek. The map doesn't give a true feel, pull up the satellite images.
dmpyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #27 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

I was wondering where to stay with my 84 yr old mother. We will need a scooter for her and I just can't spend the crazy cash to stay onsite. Which hotel do you think should it be? So many choices but I'm afraid to stay too far away because of Mom.

My Previous TripsWDW May 1983, May 1985 (Fort Wilderness), August 1988 (off-site), March 1998 (off-site), May 2008 (off-site), May 2010 (off-site), May 2012 (off-site), October 2012 Port Orleans, Riverside, May 2013 (off-site), June 2013 Port Orleans, Riverside, December 2013 offsite, June 2014, Fort Wilderness Cabins!
jjjmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

I stay at the travelodge behind the DL parking garage, about 15 minutes to walk around in the morning, but at night, 5 minute direct exit out through the CM parking lot through the parking garage- across the street. Not too bad, but it's only good for a bed and shower, nothing more, breakfast sucks, but its something at least.
My Previous TripsSunterra Resort(Cypress Pointe), 2 weeks in Florida & 4 days at WDW in June/July 2000; December 11th-18th 2005 at Pop Century; May 11th-19th 2006 at All Star Sports; December 17th-23rd 2006 at All Star Sports; January 3rd-12th 2008 at All Star Sports; January 3rd-10th 2009 at Pop ;May 8th-15th 2010 at Pop; Jan 9th-16th 2011 at POP
Jolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #29 (permalink)

We just returned from a week at DL. We stayed at the courtyard by Marriott for the first four nights as I was there for a conference. We then moved to DLH for the next four nights. The courtyard was very nice and within easy walking distance. I would say 15 minutes at a stroll. No shuttle though, which was fine with us as we are walkers.
Disney918 is offline   Reply With Quote