Disney's World of Color - Page 3 - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Disneyland Resort California > DL: Touring the Lands: Disney Parks
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #31 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechurchlady View Post
scroll up as the post before you qoutes me.

FIASCO
I have some not adult friendly words about the whole thing. The site is a lovely picnic ground and entertainment area for meet and greets. There are so many fences and architectural things in the way that one has to stand up to see. Expect to stand 2 hours down in the first tier. Second tier in our area was reserved so we could lay down for a while. Spread out a bit with the kids but in the end I was leaning to see around the arms up in the air video taping the show.

I AM SO BLEEPING TIRED OF THE BLEEPING VIDEO TAPING BUFFOONS. They are not watching the show nor are they experiencing the show. They cannot see the show like the rest of us. I so wanted to wap someone. Was that kid friendly enough a rant.

On all tiers kids, short people and disabled are at a disadvantage because they cannot see. The show is great but I do not see me paying nearly $100 for two meals and then wait 2.5 hours for the end of the show. That is right, even with the dining package you are going to be there for at least 2 hours. I am saddened that Disney did not plan this out and think about everyone who cannot stand for 2 to 3 hours. This is asking too much of guests and there is no places to lean like rails.

Fantasmic boxed desserts is 3 Bonbel and two Tilamook one ounce cheeses individual servings packaged. A white chocolate ball with a fruity cream filling, a chocolate ball, and various desserts and a handfull of yummy red grapes.

THERE ARE NO GLUTEN FREE OPTIONS. No vegan, no allergens, NOTHING.
Fantasmic desserts are ok but they were nice enough to get me a Mickey bar and two boxes of popcorn. They are so not Disney in not offering anything but fruit plates as an option. I am insulted by fruit plates as I can go and buy fruit if I wnat it. I want ice cream, gluten free cakes, something special. How hard is it to have ice cream sundaes, something beside garbage fruits plates.

For World of Color bring CASH as the vendors do not do cash. I was not walking around the park to find popcorn and only have $5 cash on me. I am so mad about the whole event. I loved the show and the preshow. Staff are nice also.

Diamond in the rough is a good name for World of Color. I love it so much but just cannot see me going back again. Make sure you get to your reservation at the restaurant early.
Again - Thank YOU!!!
Your review is definitely the same thing I am reading on other sites as well...
They built this mega-production and completely - COMPLETELY - neglected to think about the viewing area!!
P*ss-Poor-Planning on someone's fault for sure!

And as for the people with cameras in the air and kids on their shoulders...
Castmembers need to get on the ball and be more diligent about stopping that!
(Yes, I know it's not "Disney" to tell a guest they can't do something... but in allowing one guest to get away with it, it is ruining the experience for dozens more.)

My two awesome grandsons with an all-time favorite!
My Previous Trips2012 - WDW Beach Club Resort 2011 - DL Grand Californian; 2010 - DL Disneyland Resort Hotel; 2008 - WDW All-Star Movies; 2005 - WDW Shades of Green; 2004 - WDW Grosvenor (now Regal Sun); 2003 - WDW Coronado Springs Resort; 2002 - WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; 2001 - WDW Contemporary Resort; 2000 - WDW Dixie Landings (Riverside); 1999 - WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; 1998 - WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; 1998 - 2004 (multiple vacation and weekend trips too numerous to count while working as a Disney Store Castmember); 1997 - WDW Best Western Kissimmee; 1996 - WDW Best Western Kissimmee; 1994 - WDW Best Western Kissimmee 1992 - WDW Fort Wilderness Campground; 1989 - DL (Honeymoon); 1987 - DL Disneyland Hotel; 1986 - DL; 1984 - WDW; 1980 - DL; 1978 - DL; 196? - DL (I even remember riding the mules!)
MeRSiamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #32 (permalink)
Community Rank: Day-Tripper

Quote:
Yes, they are prepared ahead of time but my bone of contention is that when making the reservations there was no option for allergens, medical, pharmaceutical, religious or lifestyle limitations. When I make a reservation for a restaurant I note my limits so they are prepared. At Fantasmic you get fruit or the dessert box. I might as well have paid someone $50 to reserve us seats at Fantasmic and used the other $70 on dinner at Plaza Inn, popcorn, drinks, a sundae, baked potato at troubadour tavern, and lunch at Taste Pilots' Grill. We might even have enough for cotton candy, a pickle and a balloon. I know that if I said here that I will pay $50 for someone to reserve two spot then I would have takers.
They do offer a fruit plate instead, to cover most options you listed. I'm sorry you don't want their substitute. Like I previously said, the options they did give you (ice cream and popcorn) wouldn't work for others with dairy allergies or corn allergies. I think it would be impossible to cover every possible scenerio in the small limited area of Fantasmic.

Since your mother is handicapped, perhaps using the handicapped seating would work better for you, thus saving you the money to spend on other desserts.

I am not sure who AVP is, but if you tell me, I can tell them hi.
rlnakp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

Community Rank: Globetrotter

Concierge Level: 6
The disabled seating for Fantasmic is on either end thus not having as good a view as the the ones in the center. I have done the disabled seating over by the Mark Twain dock and you get a side view which is not that great. Seating in disabled areas can go fast if there are large parties.

You do not understand special diets apparently. The point is to meet the limitations based on an individual need. They cannot make one dessert or meal that meets all dietary limitations. If they took out all the nuts, dairy, soy, corn, wheat, barley, oats, rye, meat, chochineal, honey, etc then all would be left is fruits and veggies of which some would have to be removed like citrus and tomatoes.

They should have the chefs in charge of making boxes prepare an ingredient list to have on hand at the event and have a list of items that are allergen free.

The good thing about parks is the CMs and yes they went out of their way to make me happy. I just wanted one scoop of ice cream with a little sauce and a Mickey head or maybe some Rice Dream or something. It did not have to be elaborate but just something to show they cared.

As for dealing with guests who break the rules the policing and enforcement can cause greater disruption. Also it is hard for CMs to tell a guy who is 10 feet away to put the kid down. CMs get the "Who me?" attitude from guests. Do you want to see a show and every few minutes hear "Put the child down" or "Put the video down"?

It is ludicrous to ask people to stand for 120 to 180 minutes. No consideration for little people, kids or the disabled. My section was almost empty as was much of the reserved area until just before show time and there was still room. A lot of space was waste if the flower beds even if the flower beds hold important stuff. I love the show but poorly designed theater deters from the show. People stand in line for an hour or more for fastpasses then get there really early for seating then wait 3 hours for the show to start and stand for up to 3 hours. That is 7 to 8 hours of my life I am not giving up on any show. We have done 2 hours wait for Electric Parade and that was one time.

She is gone but keeping signature. Laundry is getting done. My purpose in life is to help poor people in FL. Farewell, will miss you.
My Countdown Counting down to: Laurie's Birthday
Happy Birthday and may you have a grand day.
My Previous TripsWDW, DLR for 50 years, NYC, San Antonio, Midwest, Catalina Island, San Diego, Vegas, lots of places I have been. I have seen the Atlantic Ocean over 20 times and never been in it.
mechurchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
You do not understand special diets apparently. The point is to meet the limitations based on an individual need. They cannot make one dessert or meal that meets all dietary limitations. If they took out all the nuts, dairy, soy, corn, wheat, barley, oats, rye, meat, chochineal, honey, etc then all would be left is fruits and veggies of which some would have to be removed like citrus and tomatoes.
I understand dietary needs VERY well. I deal with them day in and day out. And I do not expect any place to cater to my needs, the way I want them. Obviously, they did have an item for dietary needs, the fruit plate. I would not expect them to make separate plates for dairy free, gluten free, nut free, soy free, etc... Yes, they should have a nutritional list available, and if the item contains something the person cannot have, they should then avoid that item. I would never go to Fantasmic and expect a Kosher box. You may expect everyone to cater to your needs, but the $59 is for the seat, the dessert box is extra. If you have an issue with the box, you need to decide if the seat is worth $59. The dessert box is not "You don't have what I want, so make me happy with other items out of your pocket" deal. Yes, the cast members went way over the top to accommodate you.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #35 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

mechurchlady, I love a good baked potato but where in the world is this Troubadour Tavern you spoke of? Never heard of it before. It's not anywhere at DLR that I know of.

My Previous TripsSeveral times each year from Jul. 17, 1955 to Jun. 18,1963 and 6 to 12 visits a year from 1971 to Present Day & 9/8/08 to 09/19/08 WDW (First Visit)
w-steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w-steele View Post
mechurchlady, I love a good baked potato but where in the world is this Troubadour Tavern you spoke of? Never heard of it before. It's not anywhere at DLR that I know of.
Disneyland&reg - Troubadour Tavern
To be honest, I've never noticed it either. I just googled it.
AGentlRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #37 (permalink)

This page better explains where it is.
Culinary Quest: Troubadour Tavern at Disneyland | The DIS Unplugged Disney Blog
Old 06-22-2010, 03:34 AM   #38 (permalink)

Thank you AGentlRose, that would explain everything. Not having any children, we hardly ever get that deep into Fantasyland execpt for iasw and the Railroad Station but I remember seeing it now from the train both before and during the transformation to the new place. Just never went there to find out what it was. Can you imagine that? After going to DLR for just about 55 years I find a "new" spot to check out. Hahaha. Darn, I know I am old but I had to reopen this post because I just remember we have been back there when they had the stage play of Snow White, before what it is today.

My Previous TripsSeveral times each year from Jul. 17, 1955 to Jun. 18,1963 and 6 to 12 visits a year from 1971 to Present Day & 9/8/08 to 09/19/08 WDW (First Visit)

Last edited by w-steele; 06-22-2010 at 03:37 AM.. Reason: Added an 'elderly' remembrance. lol
w-steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w-steele View Post
Thank you AGentlRose, that would explain everything. Not having any children, we hardly ever get that deep into Fantasyland execpt for iasw and the Railroad Station but I remember seeing it now from the train both before and during the transformation to the new place. Just never went there to find out what it was. Can you imagine that? After going to DLR for just about 55 years I find a "new" spot to check out. Hahaha. Darn, I know I am old but I had to reopen this post because I just remember we have been back there when they had the stage play of Snow White, before what it is today.
You're welcome. I LOVE being able to see new things when we go and I so hope that we will get to see World of Color without a hassle next month. After reading the posts, I said to my DH that I think I want to cancel this trip, I don't think I can deal with the crowds, especially when I am in the wheelchair because honestly, my DH is a terrible wheelchair driver and I'm always afraid he is going to hit someone. He said, Let's Go and make the best of it, especially since it will probably be in the 110ºs here in Las Vegas at that time and at least we'll be out of the real heat. So we will go and hope for the best.

Have a magical trip!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #40 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

Community Rank: Globetrotter

The baked potato restaurant used to be a little snack shop next to the Fantasyland Theater where shows like Dick Tracey ran. It was a mini play. This was taken over by Princesses. There are bathrooms and an ATM machine there.

Go up the hill and stay to your left. First building is the restrooms and second is the restaurant. It is hidden by trees and plants so that it just does not seem to exist. They also serve sausages. It is across from the train station. I think it is not so much a kid-free thing but that it is so secluded. The only thing that is not gluten free is the buns and they can do the sausage without a bun. Me very very happy.

As for the Fantastmic seating, enough already. Say hi to the people back home already and drop it. I know what Disney can do and what is reasonable. I am not asking for a three scoop sundae with sliced bananas, roasted almond slivers, blueberries, jicama slices and a dash of saffron but just some accomodation like chocolates, pudding with no eggs, ice cream, and gluten free baked goods. I can be done. If I get rich and there is a next time then I will bake me brownies, cupcakes, and other treats.

She is gone but keeping signature. Laundry is getting done. My purpose in life is to help poor people in FL. Farewell, will miss you.
My Countdown Counting down to: Laurie's Birthday
Happy Birthday and may you have a grand day.
My Previous TripsWDW, DLR for 50 years, NYC, San Antonio, Midwest, Catalina Island, San Diego, Vegas, lots of places I have been. I have seen the Atlantic Ocean over 20 times and never been in it.
mechurchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #41 (permalink)

can you see this show without a package
BWV- 2005 Steven's 6th Birthday\DVC Member since 2003-BCV 2005 SSR\POLY,BWV,SSR,VWL,DCL,AND BCV-2007\ BWV & Cabins-2008\ Disneyland 2009\ Disneyland & Disneyworld- 2010 wdw. universal.vero beachand disney dream aug 2011. wdw 15yr anny june/july 2012
My Countdown Counting down to: 4 nite Vero Beach Resort, 5 nite BLT, 4 nite BWV. Our 15th Wedding Anniversary!!!
By work!!! We are out of here!!!
My Previous Tripsjune 27 2012 disneyland 6 days wdw 7 days
tigersprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersprinkles View Post
can you see this show without a package
Absolutely. The seating area is pretty limited, something like 60 people only. But the rest of the area is open and generally they may have 10-15,000 people per show. Unlike WOC, sight lines are pretty easy, and the front area remains seated. We often pick up dinner at Riverbelle or Rancho del Zocolo and eat while waiting for the show.

If you are disabled, they have areas specifically set aside, but the views aren't the best. However, wheelchairs are not limited to the Handicapped area. You can also be in the rear portion of the seating area. We frequently will line up with the back line of the roped off area for the seating area. You can ask cast members where the ropes will be so you can aim for the back of the seated area. Works well for us.

Last edited by rlnakp; 06-22-2010 at 05:36 PM..
Old 06-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #43 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

I'm looking forward to trying the Troubadour Tavern - this sounds exactly like food my mom and dad would enjoy. Thanks for the tip!

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsSeptember 26, 2004 - CBR/Disney Wonder (Land and Sea Package); March 28- April 4, 2009 - POP Century/WDW - Celebrating Munchkin's 10th Birthday October 8 - 12, 2010 - Howard Johnson Disneyland, CA June 5 - 12, 2013 - Beach Club/WDW
dolphin041599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
As for the Fantastmic seating, enough already. Say hi to the people back home already and drop it. I know what Disney can do and what is reasonable. I am not asking for a three scoop sundae with sliced bananas, roasted almond slivers, blueberries, jicama slices and a dash of saffron but just some accomodation like chocolates, pudding with no eggs, ice cream, and gluten free baked goods. I can be done. If I get rich and there is a next time then I will bake me brownies, cupcakes, and other treats.
As this is a discussion board. and you continue to want to discuss what is appropriate "alternative" for the dessert box. The dessert box contains a number of gluten free items.

Part of the issue is you are asking for items that they have no way of keeping cold. There is no storage for ice cream or pudding style products. If you call in to arrange seating, let them know you need a special diet then. Ask what will be in the special diet, then you can decide if it is worth it to pay $59. It really isn't fair to the front line cast members to have to make these changes and concessions because you don't like the option.

As far as getting rich, it really isn't that expensive to purchase gluten free mixes and bake them yourself, then you could bring them with you.

I said hi to my son. I am not sure who you are referring to, but that's ok.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #45 (permalink)

Got this in a Disney Blog

Great News for ‘World of Color’ Fans and Guests Who Stay at Disneyland Resort Hotels
We have some exciting news to share this holiday weekend. Starting tomorrow morning, Sunday, July 4, the Disney California Adventure park gate at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will open at 9:00 a.m. exclusively for Disneyland Resort Hotel guests so they can get in line for Disney’s FASTPASS tickets to each evening’s performances of “World of Color.” The Disneyland Resort hotels include the Disneyland Hotel, Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel and Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa.‬ The main entrance will open, as scheduled, at 9:30 a.m. for all other day guests.
While Park hours may vary, please check disneyland.com for the most up-to-date schedule. The early access for Disneyland Resort Hotel guests at the Disney California Adventure park gate at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will be 30 minutes earlier than the opening listed for main entrance.
This is a great benefit for guests staying at Disneyland Resort Hotels, but guests not staying at the hotels will still have access to Disney’s FASTPASS tickets for “World of Color.