What do you talk about? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Villa: Sharing the Fun Together > The Family Room: Family and Friends
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

What do you talk about?

This may seem silly, but what do you and your s/o talk about?

We are either talking to the kids, about the kids, or about dh work. When not talking about those things, we sit in silence. Dh is very quiet in nature and I'm not. This presents a problem, hard to have a one sided conversation. He isn't going to open up and offer information I have to ask and pry it out of him. We will be going away (alone) for one night next week and I'm afraid there will be a lot of silence, unless I have a plan. LOL. I need topics stored away so we will have things to talk about.

So, how do you hold daily conversations with your spouse?
My Previous TripsFirst trip to WDW, May 1999 for senior trip. Worked at WDW college program Jan to May 2000. First family trip, June 10-18 2009, ASMO. Surprise trip May 31 - June 7, 2010, Wilderness Lodge. Oct 26-Nov3 POP.
elisa1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 3
we talk about books we are reading/have read, the news, plans for the day/week, places we'd like to go, things to do, what to do when we retire,
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Aug 1983, WDW Aug 1998, WDW June 1999, WDW June 2001, WDW May 2006, WDW Dec 2008, WDW Dec 2009, WDW Oct 2010, WDW Oct 2011, WDW Dec 2012
oldmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

We talk about politics or world news a lot
My Previous Trips2014 BWI, 2013 BC, 2013 GF, 2012 BC, 2012 OKW, 2012 BWI, 2011 BWI, 2011 BC, 2010 BC, 2010 CSR, 2010 Kidani, 2009 GCV, 2009 BC, 2008 BWV, 2008 Grand Californian, 2008 BC, 2007 BWI, 2007 POFQ, 2007 Grand Californian, 2006 BC, 2006 POR, 2006 WL, 2005 BC, 2005 BWI, 2005 CBR, 2004 CR, 2005 Poly, 2004 GF, 2004 POFQ 2004 Poly, 2003 Poly, 2003 CSR, 2003 POR, 2002 AKL, 2002 GF, 2001 AKL, 2001 Poly, 2000 CBR, 1999 CBR, 1998 ASMo, 1997 ASMu, 1996 ASMu, 1995 ASSp, 1991 Wyndham, 1989 off site, 1985 Off Site
jimmymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
We talk about what's happening in the world, both in our area and further afield, family, friends, Disney - pretty much everything.

Enjoying the beauty of Sirmione on Lake Garda on our Italy road trip. The trip report for our cruise on the Magic around Greece and Turkey is now complete. Trip reports are now also underway for a day out in London and a day out in Paris.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.
My Countdown Counting down to: A photowalk at Leeds Castle
1 days, 21 hours, 7 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Do the two of you have any hobbies or sports that you both enjoy (to watch or play)? DH and I talk about soccer a lot, because we are both really into it (watching, not playing). We also reminisce a lot about the places we have gone together and our favorite parts of those trips. We love planning new adventures and talking about where in the world we still really want to go and what we would like to do in those places. My DH is similar to the OP's...he can sit quietly for hours, but if I start on a topic I know interests him (and me, LOL, I'm not talking about Star Wars for anything no matter how much he likes it!) he will open up.

DH and me with our favorites
My Countdown Counting down to: Going to Tampa for a USF game. Go BULLS!
9 days, 2 hours, 7 minutes
My Previous TripsVarious day trips WDW 1990-99; DL 1995; GF WDW Jan. 1997; POFQ WDW May 1999; AKL WDW Jan. 2002 (during which I became engaged at Disney Boardwalk); WDW most Fridays 2002; MNSSHalloween WDW 2002; ASMovies & all parks WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2006; CB WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2007; POFQ WDW May 2008; POR WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2008; WL WDW May/June 2009; POP WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2009; ASMu WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2010; CSR WDW January 2011; DLR (Park Vue Inn) June 2011; ASMo WDW & MNSSHP Oct 2011; CBR WDW January 2012; DL Paris - Davy Crockett Ranch May 2012; Art of Animation & AS Sports, MNSSHP Sept 2012; CSR & MVMCP Nov/Dec 2012; Pop MK May 2013; ASMO MNSSHP Oct 2013; SSR MNSSHP & all WDW parks Sept 2014 Other countries I've visited: Brazil, South Africa, Kazakhstan, Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Czech Republic, Poland, and Canada.
Ashli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisa1006 View Post
This may seem silly, but what do you and your s/o talk about?

We are either talking to the kids, about the kids, or about dh work. When not talking about those things, we sit in silence. Dh is very quiet in nature and I'm not. This presents a problem, hard to have a one sided conversation. He isn't going to open up and offer information I have to ask and pry it out of him. We will be going away (alone) for one night next week and I'm afraid there will be a lot of silence, unless I have a plan. LOL. I need topics stored away so we will have things to talk about.

So, how do you hold daily conversations with your spouse?
My DH is really quiet natured also. He doesn't ever say much. He waits until he has something to say before he says anything.

I usually do most of the talking.

He is gone out of town for work for 28 days then home for 14. When he is at work we talk on the phone for several hours a day and sometimes we will just be sitting on the phone not even saying anything.

Sometimes you can get him talking a little bit if you ask him about things he is into, like his Harley.

That's one reason I am not really into long sit down meals because he just doesn't even try to have a conversation. We just sit there or I talk and he just listens.

We had a very quiet trip when we drove to Disney. 12 hours of nobody talking.

If I was someone to talk to I will call my 72 year old dad because he can talk for 4 or 5 hours straight without stopping. It's hard to get him to shut up.
10/27-11/4/12 All Star Music Family Suite (DDP) --Family Trip
4/14-4/19/13 Quality Suites Lake Buena Vista- Adults Only Trip
11/10-11/17/13 Wyndham Bonnet Creek- Adults Only Trip
11/2015 Wyndham Bonnet Creek- Family trip
My PassPorter Bookshelf
MsPeggySue911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 6
Lots of good suggestions here!

My mom told one of her grandsons: Holding a conversation is like passing a ball around, so you need to return the ball by asking questions, too.

I told my DS17 this, then added: "If you feel like you're playing dodgeball, it's because you're not throwing any of the balls back!" He found that amusing and it helped, some.

He and my DH are introverts and can comfortably sit in a companionable silence, while DS12 and I are extraverts with lots to say, so I do see where you're coming from. (I once sat silent and fumed for over an hour on a car ride over something DH said...come to find out, he didn't even notice!)

My suggestions:
1) Think about other topics, like where/when do you want to retire, what do you picture our life like when the kids go to college/move out, what would you do if you won the lottery, where would you visit given unlimited time & money.

2) Use the opportunity to discuss some of the things that can be hard to bring up: should we have a will; do you want burial or cremation; where would you like to be buried? (Make sure he understands this is not a threat that he talk or else!)

3) (this one's for the car) Set up a soundtrack for whatever kind of music system you have or, better yet, get books on CD from the library that you'll both enjoy. Humorous books are a great bet; we love Dave Barry, for instance.

4) Reframe the way you think about this. This may be the best for both of you, for at least some of the time. My DH actually told me, early in our relationship, that he felt really comfortable around me; his silence is a reflection of that, not him withholding, and I bet it's the same for you. Not saying you should spend the whole time sitting and staring at the table, but understand that you don't need to fill all the silences. Maybe think about letting some silences fall as a quiet gift to him...and you can use that time thinking about the next topic to bring up!

Good luck, and I feel for you, girlfriend! I'm sure you'll both have a great time.

Ginger

What happens in the castle...stays in the castle! (Sisters trip, Sept. 2014)
WDW visits: 1977, 1985, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 3-2014, 9-2014
Disneyland(no kids): 1984, 1993, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 6-2014 (DS19 & me!), 8-2014 (solo)
My PassPorter Bookshelf
GingerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
Can't relate really since DH and I are so talkative that when we are dining out our food often gets cold because we're too busy chatting.

Since you say your DH is quite comfortable with companionable silence, I'd suggest cutting an agreement with him that you'll respect his preference for silence if he'll agree to spend a certain amount of time talking with you so as to meet both your needs better.

Trying to get him to talk more than he naturally does may satisfy you but irritate him if chatting isn't his cup of tea.

Just a thought...
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Nov. 2013--GF; WDW January 2010--GF; WDW July 2004--CR Tower/ DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984, Me DL 1969.
Her Dotness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

My husband and I talk about various things like our jobs, politics, current events, tv shows we are watching, etc. If, however, he is quiet and I want him to participate, I'll read him an online article about a topic he enjoys (e.g. video games, Star Wars, computers, etc.). He can find plenty to gab about on those topics.

He works in Arlington weekdays and drives home (three hour drive) for three day weekends, so he claims he likes me to read to him while he is driving--he wears his Bluetooth. I read online articles about current events. Sometimes, though, we just sit in silence or we get into arguments because his swears I breathe too loudly into my cell and his Bluetooth picks it up. Whatever!

I would agree that a shared hobby might give you two something to discuss. I just bought my husband a GoPro, so we have been discussing how and when we'll use it such as on hikes, 10ks, theme parks, etc.

Good luck!
sheldoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
I feel for your DH. I'm the quiet one in the relationship. I don't have a problem with sitting in silence. DH and I talk a lot about the kids, the dogs, weather, and work. Do you have any hobbies in common?

Rico: He's not a mutt, he's a "Designer Breed."
My Countdown Counting down to: Our Well Deserved Winter Break
79 days, 5 hours, 7 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW Nov 1987, offsite WDW-April 2007, AS-Movies WDW-Dec. 2007, Contemporary WDW-Jan. 2009, Caribbean Beach WDW-April 2009, AS-Music Family Suites WDW-Dec. 2009, Port Orleans French Quarter WDW-May 2010, Boardwalk Inn WDW-Nov. 2010, Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW-Jan. 2011, Port Orleans Riverside/Polynesian WDW-Oct. 2011, Pop Century WDW - Jan. 2012, Wilderness Lodge WDW - Jan. 2013, Art of Animation and Yacht Club WDW - Oct. 2013, Coronado Springs WDW- Jan. 2014, All Star Sports
JoanneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

My hubby is not a talker either, I usually talk at him. lol I usually just chat away about work and the books I am reading, he throws in an occasional comment. It does get a bit annoying at times but I guess it is better then never being listened to. Have fun on your night out.
feonag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Navigator

We talk about our dreams for the future. We both love to travel, so where we would like to go someday. We talk about what is going on in the world. We try and steer clear of work stuff because its stressful, but sometimes talking about it eases the stress.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

My DH will bring up news articles that he reads (and he reads a lot of them!) and we discuss those. I personally do not care for the news at all but find it a necessary evil, so that works for us. Some times he gets too over heated about things so that becomes a topic all on it's own! You've gotten some good ideas so far. One of my favorites is thinking about places I'd like to travel and talking about "what - if" plans. DH is not so much a fan of that, but he goes along with it. We also discuss things we need to do for projects around the house, grocery shopping, yard projects and other typical mundane stuff like that.
tinker_me_happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

Rae is the talkative one between us. Don't get me wrong, I will strike up my conversations; namely work, the kids, plans, news, etc...but she is the one who yaps and yaps. On our drives to Houston and San Antonio, the time flys because we are non-stop in the car. During our trips together, the topics have always been about sports (she is a Spurs fan and I am an Astros fan), music, future trips, our siblings, news, the past (namely my crazy high school and early college days).

My Countdown Counting down to: February 13, 2015 Rachel and I get away from here for the weekend
116 days, 1 hours, 7 minutes
My Previous TripsPOFQ...2007, Allstar Movie Resort ....2012
Charlie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

My dh and I talk at about the same rate. We love to people watch and discuss them, analyse our families (that takes ALOT of time Lol), talk about trips, the news (which I don't watch), even about the existance or non exsistance of Saskquatch...things like that LOL. Throw topics out and see how he feels about them.
I enjoy talking to my dh as long as it isn't him analyzing my skiing or other things, we are basically fine
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote