Any homeschoolers out there? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Villa: Sharing the Fun Together > The Family Room: Family and Friends
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Any homeschoolers out there?

I am back to considering homeschooling my son. He is currently in kindergarten and while he's doing well socially and academically, he hates the school schedule. I understand-7 hours with one short recess is rough on my active boy. We are reaching a point where everyday he begs me to pick him up early, stay home, go late, anything to not be bored! And I am getting tired of the same ( and I mean exact same) homework tasks that we have had for 5 weeks running and that he is a master at. Unfortunately that is the state of our schools today with the rigid curriculum, varied skill sets in the students, overworked teachers, and poor funding. I get it, I was a teacher, but I feel like my son is not being served and that I could do it better but then....

I taught high school science for 7 years but am worried about handling elementary skills like reading, writing, etc.

Any homeschoolers out there with advice, encouragement, stories to share?

Oh and socially- he has baseball, basketball, and will start cub scouts this fall so we have social life covered I think

Thanks for listening!
My Previous TripsWDW 1992, WDW 1999, WDW & All Star Sports May 2009, Kidani Village and WLV 2010, POFQ 2011, Disney Dream 2012, All Star Music Jan 2013, WLV and AKV Oct 2013, AsSports and VGF 2014
kellensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 7
I do not home school, not because I am opposed to it, but because I knew that I would be one of those parents who loved the idea but were really bad in the follow-through. We seriously thought about it for our kids, but it just wasn't something I thought I could do well.
Since you've taught, you are more than qualified for it. I have quite a few friends who either do or have home-schooled. 20 years ago, when I first looked into it, there were almost no support services and anyone who home-schooled was considered a religious nut case. Things have sure changed!!
I know there are some areas where the schools help provide curriculum, etc. and work with the parent. There are lots of home-school groups out there, and tons of child friendly places that offer home-school times (roller rink is the one that comes to mind, as well as the YMCA).
I also know there are quite a few PPers who do, and I'm sure they'll be along to help you out. Good luck!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

We have homeschooled and I sent you a long PM with our experience.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Tripsmany times as a child, Dec 1993 Poly, Feb 2002 WLV, Sept 2003 CSR, Dec 2005 CSR, May 2008 POR Sept 2009 AKL, Sept 2010 CBR, Mar 2012 BC, Nov 2012 CSR, Mar 2014 CSR & ASp
dluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Can't help you with home school but maybe he is over scheduled and needs to learn to sit still and focus and learn to entertain himself. It is also a good lesson that sometimes(actually most of your life) you have to do things that you do not want to. I know as parents we want our kids happy but giving in to that is actually worse for them. I think what schools lack in academics is makes up for in other life lessons like working with others and following rules and pretty much figuring out that as special as you are at home to mom and dad, that to the rest of the world you are just one of the many. But you should definitely talk to the teacher about your concerns that he has mastered what they are doing and to maybe give him something to work on. Kindergarten is tough because so many people now hold their kids back to start that some are turning 7 during the year instead of everyone being 5/6 years old like it should be and so trying to get everyone on the same page is tough but it all evens out in first and second grade.
feonag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by feonag View Post
Can't help you with home school but maybe he is over scheduled and needs to learn to sit still and focus and learn to entertain himself. It is also a good lesson that sometimes(actually most of your life) you have to do things that you do not want to. I know as parents we want our kids happy but giving in to that is actually worse for them. I think what schools lack in academics is makes up for in other life lessons like working with others and following rules and pretty much figuring out that as special as you are at home to mom and dad, that to the rest of the world you are just one of the many. But you should definitely talk to the teacher about your concerns that he has mastered what they are doing and to maybe give him something to work on. Kindergarten is tough because so many people now hold their kids back to start that some are turning 7 during the year instead of everyone being 5/6 years old like it should be and so trying to get everyone on the same page is tough but it all evens out in first and second grade.
I believe what is stated above is very good information. Kids are often bored in kindergarten but kids need to learn to follow along and do what the group is doing. He will have to get use to schedules in the real world and kindergarten is as good a place as any to start learning that. As he gets up in higher grades he will have more opportunity to do work that is more stimulating. My dd was very bored in kindergarten but we stuck with school (although moved her from catholic school to public school) and she has done very well in school to the point where she will be attending Princeton University next year. Schools offer so much more in addition to the education. Sports teams are good but the socialization in a school setting is very important.

My Countdown Counting down to: Magical trip to Yacht Club
We just can't stay away
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsOct 2002 AS Sports - Oct 2004 AS Movies - July 2005 POFQ - April 2007 Beach Club - June 2008 Coronado Springs/Polynesian - August 2009 AS Music - August 2011 Pop/Coronado Springs- Oct 2011 Boardwalk- July 2012 AS Sport/POR- Aug 2013 CBR
krisk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Another variation would be to speak to the teacher about not doing such repetitive work if he gets it. Something similar has been discussed at rageagainsttheminivan.com. There are other learning activities her children does to reinforce lessons instead of the same worksheet over and over again.

Search locally for homeschooling groups in your area. Around here there's a homeschooling co-op. You can start by looking for an attachment parenting group online in your area. Many times AP parenting feeds into homeschooling or unschooling. I know that different states/cities have different criteria and you may need to get paperwork started now for next Fall. Another blog that I can think of that discusses unschooling with her 7 or 8 year old daughter is http://harmonioushomestead.com/

Rachel

Blogging about whatever comes to mind at The New Smiths.
My Previous TripsWDW - Contemporary 1987, Off-Property 1989, Off-Property 1994, Dixie Landings 1996, Swan Dec 1998, Off-Property 2001, Dolphin Mar 2012, Boardwalk Villas Feb 2013
thenewsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the thoughts! I have at minimum a few more months to decide which direction to go. Our state home school conference is in May so I plan to head over for a day and see what strikes me. Having taught, I have say I am not worried on the socialization front if he's homeschooled. People skills are people skills and can be learned in any group setting, school or not. I am just tied up and frustrated with what we call "learning" today. My kindergarten kid doing 30 minutes of worksheets a night is not real world. Being disciplined and self controlled is a must of course, but I question how valuable that lesson is from a boring, one dimensional education model that most of our schools are stuck with today.
My Previous TripsWDW 1992, WDW 1999, WDW & All Star Sports May 2009, Kidani Village and WLV 2010, POFQ 2011, Disney Dream 2012, All Star Music Jan 2013, WLV and AKV Oct 2013, AsSports and VGF 2014
kellensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

I was homeschooled as a child and my mom was a pioneer for it back in 1984 and she still homeschools today with her grandchildren. My brother wanted to be homeschooled because he is a very intelligent person and his school refused to let him advance a couple of grades even though they gave him an IQ test and he had a 160 at the age of 8 but the school kept giving my parents the run around and that it wouldn't be fair for the other students if he advanced, also my sister has ADD and was also having problems in school. My mother decided for the sake of us kids she would look into it and started homeschooling us, there wasn't a lot of resources back then but my mom was creative and found other ways with other homeschool moms for our lesson plans. My brother graduated and had his choice of universities to pick but decided he didn't want to go, my sister with ADD went to an Ivy league Christian school with a softball scholarship, my other sister went to a bible college and I graduated with 42 credits and a 3.8 GPA but decided I wanted to travel instead. As a homeschooler I never felt unsocialized as the common misconception is, I played softball, took dance, acting and vocal lessons, was in a homeschool choir that did competitions, took vacations during the school year and many more experiences that I had the chance to do that I would not have had had I been in a regular school. I never learned less than my public school friends I actually learned more and retained more information then they did from school, even though by the time I was in high school my lessons were laid out and I did six subjects in one hour by myself. I understand that it isn't for everyone and it takes a special kind of parent to be able to work and be a teacher for their child and I am forever grateful for my mom for doing it knowing that I wasn't an easy student to deal with. There are more options for you now and places where you can find what you need and some states are better with homeschoolers than others, I am not going to lie and tell you that it is easy because it isn't and it takes a while to find a rhythm that works for you and your child and if they excel in a certain subject feel free to bump them up a grade or two that is part of the beauty of the homeschool world. My best advice is to find other homeschool moms that may have experience in subjects that you are not too certain in and they will help with making lesson plans for/with you, it is a tightly knit community that is willing to help other parents help their child to succeed.
My Previous TripsWDW FW camp 1988, WDW FW camp 1992, WDW POLY & DCL 1996, WDW WL 1998, WDW FW cabins/ASRS 2000, WDW ASR music 2003, WDW AKL sept. 2006 (solo trip) WDW SSR/AKL May. 2007, WDW OKW Nov. 2007, WDW SSR May. 2008, WDW AKLV Nov. 2008, WDW CONTEMP March. 2009, WDW BW Sept.2009 WDW AK Kidani Village Sept.2009, WDW BLT Jan. 2010 WDW BW Dec. 2010. WDW WLV May. 2011. WDW AKLKV Oct. 2011. WDW SS Oct. 2011. WDW BCV Oct. 2011. WDW SS May, 2013
NarnianDVCmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
Hi there,

We just recently decided to homeschool our daughter, who will be finishing 2nd grade this year. (In fact, we began the discussion during our most recent trip to Disney and I researched options on the ride home!)

If it's any help, my family has decided to go with the Calvert School (http://homeschool.calvert.org), which offers a complete curriculum & lesson plans for K-8 grades. I like it because I don't have to figure out lesson plans (there's prep involved, but I don't have to find source materials, figure out the calendar, etc.) It's a solid program that meets my state's SOLs.

As for teaching reading, I've just begun a book called The Well-Trained Mind. I'm not very far into it, but I remember seeing some ideas for how to teach phonics to emerging readers. There's also a curriculum called Five in a Row, which uses popular children's books (like Goodnight Moon --- too young for your son, but you get the idea) to pique interests, pose questions, etc. I believe it may also have some good ideas for teaching early reading.

Good luck with your journey! (How timely --- UPS just rang the doorbell --- my curriculum just arrived!) The more I've read, the more I think homeschooling can be quite successful, as long as families are able & willing to adapt the lifestyle changes. If you like blogs, I enjoy following simplehomeschool.net. The mom follows unschooling, but many of her writings apply to homeschooling in general.

Good luck!
Carol

DS-almost 3 & DD-6 with Meeko & Pocahontas in 2012

DH, "Commando" (Let's get a move on, folks!) ~ Me, "Pokey" (Just a moment...Look at this cool trinket!) ~ DD, born 4/2005, "Ride! Ride! Ride!" (Roller coaster! Cars! Dumbo!) ~ DS, born 3/2009, "Charge!" (I wanna goooooo!)
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDL annually 1978-1984 ~ WDW Xmas 1984 ~ WDW 1991 (performed at Epcot!) ~ CSR 2001 ~ Swan (or was it Dolphin?) Oct. 2002 ~ CBR Dec. 2008 ~ POR Feb. 2010 ~ POFQ Feb. 2011 ~ POFQ Jan. 2012 ~ BCV Jan. 2013
2Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Concierge Level: 6
I homeschooled oldest DS through 8th grade and my younger 2 DS until 7th grade. This is my last year homeschooling, and it's bittersweet. It's been a wonderful experience. My kids all loved it, and we got a lot out of it. I've made some wonderful friends. I'd suggest joining a homeschool group, and taking full advantage of the museums in your area. My kids took classes at MIT, the aquarium, the science museum, the audubon society, etc. We participated in book groups, co-ops, sports days, etc. There are tons of options for curriculum - the catalog I get each year from Rainbow Resources (Home - Rainbow Resource Center, Inc.) is thicker than a phone book!!

Good luck and have fun!

Beth

p.s. feel free to PM me if you want to talk more
My Previous TripsBWV/Disney Fantasy/BCV April 2013, Disney Magic NYC-Canada (20th Anniversary!) Sept 2012, BLT/BVW/Royal Pacific June 2012, BWV/Disney Dream Jul 2011, Universal/AKL/Disney Wonder Aug/Sept 2010, BWV/BLT Oct 2009, POR May 2009 (DOD), BWV Oct/Nov 2008, AKL Feb 2008, BWV/Caribe Royale Oct 2007, POR Feb 2007, BWV Nov/Dec 2006, Disneyland Paradise Pier Sept/Oct 2005, BWV Oct 2004, BWV Nov 2003, CSR Jan/Feb 2003, BWV Oct 2002, CBR May 2002, CR Oct 2001, Dix Lndgs May 2001, OKW Nov 2000, Dix Lndgs Oct 1999, Poly May 1998, WL Oct 1997, Dixie Landings Oct 1994, Disneyland (offsite) Jan 1994, POFQ/WL/Dis Institute Oct 1992 (honeymoon!), Poly 1991, Poly 1989, CR 1988, offsite 1987, offsite 1986, Poly 1984, Poly 1980 or 81, CR 1976, CR 1973
MBUS is offline   Reply With Quote