Weight Watchers POINTS at WDW restaurants - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

FREE Shipping & 50% Off E-Books!
FREE MediaMail Shipping on domestic orders in the PassPorter Store until midnight, April 21, 2014. This is a great time to order a new 2014 edition of PassPorter's Walt Disney World guidebook!

You can also save 50% off any of our 15 e-books with code easter!

Details at http://www.passporterstore.com/store/images/freeshipping.jpg

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Feasting and Snacking: The Eateries at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2002, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

Weight Watchers POINTS at WDW restaurants

Does anyone know if there's a listing somewhere of either the nutrition information or the Weight Watchers points for various WDW menus? I just joined WW and I'm wondering how much I"m going to have to cheat next January in WDW!
Steph W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Re: Weight Watchers POINTS at WDW restaurants

While I don't know the answer to the nutrional/points question (I'm sure another fellow Passporter will jump in with some help), I can say this, you shouldn't need to be that worried as long as you continue eat there like you will have been doing for the remainder of this year before you go. All of the exercise you get at WDW will certainly help for the 'cheating'. Just remember to continue to make good choices and you should be okay.
PS - I LUV WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
SMG
Community Rank: Jetsetter

All I can say is "BANK, BANK, BANK"!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
WDW is the reason I started WW on-line about 6 months ago! I gained 5 lbs last year when we went to WDW, and just couldn't ever loose it!
www.dwlz.com is a great source of info. It has a huge list of all kinds of restaurant food and their POINTS.

[ 03-26-2002, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: SMG ]
SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 12:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

WDW is part of the reason I joined WW. My poor feet couldn't tolerate holding my body up all week. My mind said "Do More! See More!" but my feet were crying "Please, we beg of you, do don't this to us!"

Maybe, if I call WDW, I can get some sort of nutrition info. I'm really curious to know how many points are in the Kingdom Feast at Cindy's!

The good thing is, by the time I go, my stomach will probably be much much smaller, as I hope to have lost at least 50 pounds by then. Maybe I'll still be able to get the Kingdon Feast and then only eat half of each item. We'll have to see.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

I've been doing WW for almost a year, sometimes more dedicated than others! Anyhoo, what I plan to do is to take some Skinny Chips (you can get single serving packs on-line) and probably purchase my main meal (hot dog, hamburger (0 cheese) and then supplement with chips, carrots, etc. That way I still feel like I'm getting the good stuff, but, I'm not going way over the top at every meal. We also will eat breakfast in our room so that should help as well. I'm terrified to know how many points are in a mickey bar! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] . I'm also going to take my pedometer so I can see how far I truly walk when we're there.

We go in 10 days (pardon me while I do the happy dance) and I'll let you know what I find out! Hopefully it is not that I fold like a cheap suit and eat my way around the world (although I may be willing to pay the consequences for that)!
Disney Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

I have been following WW for a couple of years now. Two years ago I was in the weight loss mode and following program very closely. I brought down those breakfast bars, then went to the Beaches & Cream every morning for a skim milk or a fruit boat. I think most hotels have snack bar type places. I ate at Cinderella's for breakfast. They have a yogurt and granola choice instead of the regular entree. Yogurt and granola can still be fattening, but I felt like I made a healthy choice. I tried not to indulge in too many sweets, but did still eat out most meals. We were staying at the Beach Club that year and I got up a little earlier than the rest of the fam and walked around the Boardwalk a couple of times while the rest of the fam was showering, etc. I packed other healthy items for snacking when we were in the parks - some fat free muffins, WW bars, etc. I managed to lost 3 lbs. while on the trip, and I can honestly say I never felt deprived while there. I still had a Mickey bar - just not every day like I would have in the past. If you are doing the program for a while before you go, you know what choices you can make and stay within a fair point system. We are leaving a 6 days, and I can honestly say I always worry that my vacations will be the springboard for overeating. I like the Skinny chips idea and wish I would have known they sold them in individual bags. I always back an entire suitcase full of snacks to carry into the parks for me and the kids. You can do it! Thanks for posting this thread - it is nice to know that others out there worry about the "points system" while away on vacation!
Mickey Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

One more thought (sorry) - if you really like to plan ahead, the wdwig.com website has most of the menus for most of the restaurants. If you look up ahead of time where you are eating, you can kind of plan what you might eat while there, or at least know that they don't have any lo-cal options, so you should eat lighter during the rest of the day. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Concierge Level: 2

I would have to say that the fruit they sell in Disney parks is better than anywhere else! (If you saw K-PAX, remember when he said "The produce alone is worth the trip?" That is what I think of Disney fruit) Of course, the apples are HUGE, so I would probably count them as about 2 1/2 points. One of these at breakfast and afternoon snack will be great filler-uppers between meals. And ask the wait staff about healthier entrees, they can prepare things without oil which helps. Stay away from the bread basket, but treat yourself to two or three desserts (split with someone else) during your trip. If you plan ahead to cheat a little, it will keep you okay otherwise. It helps to decide ahead of time what the desserts will be, so when you pass on that mickey bar, you'll know that you'll be having a treat later on, and you won't feel so deprived.

All that said, wear your pedometer and earn those extra activity points...you'll use them!
infinity&beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Day-Tripper

It's so great to know some of you are on WW. I just joined WW Online last Saturday. Our WDW trip is in June of this year, and I am worried about my points too. You guys give great advice!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
monkyshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

monky and all the other WWs on here....I wish you much success! Hopefully, our feet will be less and less sore everytime we go to WDW!!!!!!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2002, 05:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Club President
PassPorter Author

PassPorter's Club Passholder
What's this?

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 7

I started Weight Watchers Online last August and had no problem staying on program during my August, October, and December trips. I wrote an article about healthy eating at WDW -- you might find it interesting:

Eating Healthy at Walt Disney World:
Keeping Your Commitment to Health On Vacation
by Jennifer Watson

Burgers, fries, 24 oz. Porterhouses, Mickey ice cream bars, Beavertails, Kungalooshes... the list of tempting treats at Walt Disney World goes on and on. Anyone who says diets and Disney don't mix is right. Would you believe Mickey Bars are over 350 calories apiece? Some lucky Disney vacationers set their diets aside and still manage to come home at the same weight or even a few pounds lighter, but that doesn't work for everyone. If you'd rather maintain your full-time commitment to healthy eating, I'm here to tell you it IS possible to keep your promise to yourself on vacation.

I've always preferred healthier foods, but last July I got serious about "eating healthy" on a regular basis. Since then, I've spent more than five weeks at Walt Disney World and Disneyland. Through trial and error, I've come up with tips that help me stick to my health goals. It isn't always easy to resist that Mickey Bar (and I did give in once), but it's a lot easier than you might think, too. Here are my top 10 tips and tricks for healthy eating:

1. Be Good Before You Go. This doesn't mean denying yourself necessary food so you can splurge at Disney, nor does it mean starting your vacation a little early with treats. Instead, stick to your goals and stay on track. Confidence in your ability eat well at home will give you added resolve once you arrive. And if you aren't exercising regularly yet, this is the perfect time to start. Get in shape now and you'll have more stamina once you arrive, plus more lean muscle mass to burn even more calories.

2. Plan Your Meals in Advance. Decide when and where you'll eat before you arrive at Walt Disney World. If you've never been to Walt Disney World before, pay a visit to Deb's WDWIG Web site and her wonderful collection of menus (http://www.wdwig.com/menu/menus.htm) to help you choose eateries. And, since I got serious about healthy eating, I've been making a list of health-friendly eateries at Walt Disney World -- you'll find them all noted in the new 2002 edition of PassPorter. If you have special dietary requirements, call Disney (407-WDW-DINE) before you arrive -- with notice, they can accommodate virtually every request.

3. Pack Healthy Snacks. This is one of my biggest lifesavers. Before I leave home I pay a visit to my grocery and health food stores for my favorite snacks -- those that are individually wrapped work best for this purpose. I pack most of them in a plastic container (to avoid crushing) and throw the rest in my waist pack for the plane. Then every morning before I depart for the parks, I stock my waist pack
with treats I'll feel good about eating. (Before you ask,technically Disney requests that guests not bring in food. However, in all the time I've been doing this, I've not had one security guard question my granola bars.) Here are some ideas for healthy snacks you can grab and go: Fibar low-fat granola bars, Odwalla Bars, and Pria bars (made by Powerbar). There may be other brands available in your area, too.

4. Do Breakfast In Your Room. Pack a box of whole grain cereal, along with a bowl and spoon. Grab some milk and OJ at the food court/store, and you can do breakfast in your room. If your resort has a refrigerator in the room, or offers one for a daily fee, even better -- if not, you can bring individual containers of soymilk that don't require refrigeration. Doing breakfast in your room not only saves time and money, but it's easier to avoid those tempting pastries at the Main Street Bakery when you've got a full tummy. Besides, you'll discover it is quite a challenge to eat healthy at a sit-down restaurant. That doesn't mean you can't do a character breakfast, but you'll want to choose carefully -- some of the buffet-style character meals go very light on things like fresh fruit and cereals. You may walk away feeling grossly overcharged. If you're in a crunch, see if the kitchen can whip up a made-to-order egg-white omelet with lots of veggies

5. Know Where To Eat. Inevitably, you're going to get hungry at the parks... and you may not want that granola bar. Rather than head for the first ice cream cart, consider other alternatives. Every park has at least one fresh fruit stand -- you'll find it marked on your park's guidemap. Another easy-to-find snack is a small bag of pretzels. Here are other ideas: fruit juice bars, Dole Whips, turkey legs, pickles, a cup of chili, or a turkey sandwich.

6. Make Your Own Meal. No, I don't mean cook it yourself (though that's always an option at a Home-Away-From-Home resort or a campsite). Instead, feel free to make special requests about the food choices and side dishes at eateries. Order salad dressing on the side, hold the cheese, keep the sauce off, and replace the fries with a veggie. Virtually every table-service restaurant I've eaten at had no problem accommodating these simple requests. Keep in mind that you may have worse luck doing this at counter-service eateries, where many dishes are pre-made and cannot be altered.

7. Don't Dread Dessert. If you're a dessert connoisseur, or your dining partner(s) are, there are healthy options. Without calling ahead, you can usually request a bowl of fruit or a sugar-free cheesecake. If you're planning a special meal and want a special dessert, you'll do best to call ahead.

8. Drink, Drink, Drink. Did you know your body really needs about 1/2 oz. of water for every pound you weigh? And when you're walking around in the hot Florida sun all day, you need even more. Water keeps you hydrated and feeling full -- often hunger is really a sign of thirst. I recommend carrying a water bottle with you at all times. You can buy the bottled water at Disney, but at $2.50 a pop it'll add up quick. Instead, get yourself a good water bottle and refill it from the refrigerated water fountains. I use a Brita water bottle for better tasting water -- you can get Brita bottles at grocery stores (look in the bottled water section).

9. Keep Up Your Exercise Program. I'm not kidding! It's really quite fun to do, and one of the benefits of vacationing. If you walk, almost every resort has a beautiful walking path. I'm particularly fond of the BoardWalk/Yacht & Beach Club/Swan and Dolphin route around Crescent Lake. You won't knew how much fun walking can be until you've done it just as the sun is coming up on Walt Disney World! If you prefer machines, take advantage of your resort's exercise facilities (if they have them) -- they're often very convenient and even likely to make you feel pampered.

10. Be Nice To Yourself. You're on vacation, after all! You shouldn't be overanxious about your health -- just accept that you're doing your best and enjoy yourself. If you find temptations too great to resist, don't beat yourself up over them. Have the Mickey bar and enjoy it. But don't let it be an excuse to slide into lazy eating. One Mickey bar won't undo all the wonderful things you're doing for yourself. And don't deny yourself things because you're concerned about the temptations. You can do the Hoop-Dee-Doo dinner show and have a healthy meal at the same time -- just let Disney know in advance!

Congratulations on your commitment to health. If you've made it this far in the article, you can make it through a trip to Walt Disney World -- you'll discover plenty of wonderful, healthy foods you've never thought to try at home and have the time of your life! And if you discover new menu items and snacks you think others would like to know about, please e-mail me at jennifer@passporter.com and I'll pass them along in a future newsletter.
Jennifer Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 06:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

A friend of mine and I just joined WW last Tues. Glad to know there are so many of you out there in PassporterLand!
Great tips, everyone! I'm going to have to try them out!
The www.dwlz.com site is awesome, and I found some software to help me keep track of my journalling.
If "a dream is a wish your heart makes," then my poor heart is wishing to be at goal weight and not having to carry around the extra baggage on the next trip! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Cinderella_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 07:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Jennifer,
I LOVED your article! What fabulous tips! I have consulted the menus at wdwig.com so I kind of have an idea of what to order at all of my priority seatings. With all the "Disney" planning, it's easy to forget the planning involved in Weight Watchers. Reading your article made me feel good about myself for trying to meal plan before I go. So many people say to me - it's a vacation, live it up! But as you know, the vacation goes so quickly, and I don't want one of my souvenirs to be extra pounds. Thank you to everyone of you WW's out there who has given your ideas and support. These boards are the greatest!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Please login or register to hide these ads -- it's free and easy!