The Wave at The Contemp - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Feasting and Snacking: The Eateries at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

The Wave at The Contemp

We are looking to eat 1 Night at the Wave in the Contemporary.......Does anyone have input on the food and atmosphere? We have never been.
disneycast89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 2
We've eaten here twice. The first time the food and service was outstanding and we couldn't wait to go back. The second time we couldn't get out of there fast enough. The only good thing about that entire meal was the appetizers. We ended up talking to the manager because our entrees were terrible. My mom's chicken was cold and soggy and my pork was overcooked and hard as a rock. The manager was kind enough to comp us the entrees and offer us replacements free of charge and a free dessert but we just wanted out of there. We haven't been back since.

Next trip: November 2014

Previous trip: too many to count
My Countdown Counting down to: First Stay at All Star Movies
45 days, 0 hours, 11 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

How About Kona Cafe?
disneycast89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
Although we only have eaten once at The Wave, our experience was not pleasant either.

The server had some difficulty understanding American English, and my husband who's allergic to peppers got potatoes loaded with them despite our having specified that he cannot eat any kind of peppers which was also on our ADR.

The omelets and fried potatoes we both had were swimming in grease and barely lukewarm. We decided to cut our losses and escape without taking the time to complain as we, too, weren't interested in hanging around to see if they could do better.

The atmosphere is nothing much. Stark modern restaurant. For a place that emphasizes it serves natural foods, I thought the decor somewhat chain restaurant.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Nov. 2013--GF; WDW January 2010--GF; WDW July 2004--CR Tower/ DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984, Me DL 1969.
Her Dotness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tinkerbell's Aunt
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

We had great food at our dinner at the Wave this past December, but the service was not as good. Luckily we were dining with a great group of friends so we had fun, but I certainly won't rush back there. I have heard that their breakfast is great!

As far as Kona - it's a favorite! I love the breakfast options. We at there in December also - for breakfast and I had the Samoan and really enjoyed it for a change of pace. It's been awhile since I ate there for dinner so I can't really give you any feedback on that menu.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW - Summer '72 (Poly), Spring Break '75 (Off site), June '83 (LBV), September '92 (CBR), March '94 (DXL), November '97 (DXL), April '03 (ASM), Nov 19-24 '04 (CBR), Sep 30-Oct 7 '06 (POFQ), Dec 4-11 '07 (SSR), May 3-10 '08 (Pop, BCV, BWV), December 10-17 '08 (SSR), May 1-8 '09 (AKV Kidani/CR/SSR), December 8-15 '09 (OKW/BCV), March 14-19 '10 (BWV), October 18-23 '10 (AKV Jambo), December 15-21 '12 (WL Concierge), May 30-June 8 (BWV/BCV), Oct 29-Nov 5 (BCV) DL - Spring 1965, Spring 1980 DCL - WB PC Cruise May 2008
WDWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycast89 View Post
How About Kona Cafe?
Kona is one of our absolute favourite restaurants. We've had only 1 issue regarding a server but it wasn't so huge that it would make us not return. The server came out and instead of coming to our table first like she was supposed to, she went to a table that had only just been seated, even though she had not even come to our table once and we'd been there maybe 5-10 minutes already. Not something that would make us take it off our dining plans.

We eat at Kona at least once every trip, sometimes twice. We almost always do a dinner here and if we can work it in, a breakfast as well. My mom absolutely LOVES the teriyaki steak and I love the stir fry, although on this last trip I tried their new lamb dish and it was absolutely delicious. We have Kona scheduled for our trip in February for both dinner and breakfast (gotta have those macadamia nut pancakes!)

My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 01-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her Dotness View Post
The server had some difficulty understanding American English, and my husband who's allergic to peppers got potatoes loaded with them despite our having specified that he cannot eat any kind of peppers which was also on our ADR.
Did the chef not come out and speak to your husband about his allergy? If not that would have been a huge red flag for me. I have noted allergies a number of times on various reservations and every time I have had one of the chefs come out and speak to me. Most recently at Chefs de France, the chef came out and asked me what my allergy was and what I was thinking of ordering so he knew if he had to alter it at all. Even on Wild Africa Trek, they confirmed my allergies with me at the start of the tour so that I would have the appropriate "snack" delivered.

My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 01-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 1
we had breakfast twice at The Wave a few years ago and it was outstanding! Great coffee too. I think I saw that they are now buffet for Breakfast tho?
We had dinner once in 2009 or 10 and it was literally, not memorable...none of us can remember what we ate so that tells you something. The atmosphere is kind of stiff and buttoned down,but our kids loved the entrance.

As for Kona - we've had dinner here three times and really loved it. Atmosphere, food, everything about it (even the ceiling fans are ) Tuna Oscar with hollandaise and fried green tomatoes - oh, yeah!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsFW camping and Pop, then Royal Pacific at Universal, March 2012, POR Surprise trip Jan 2011, Pop (adults only) May 2010, POFQ Oct 09, Pop Sept 08, Pop Jan 08, FW Cabins Feb 07. 3 one-day trips from Daytona as a child
Suzie-Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Did the chef not come out and speak to your husband about his allergy? If not that would have been a huge red flag for me.
No, and you're right, that should have been a warning, but we didn't think about it until afterward when we realized that the server probably didn't understand what we meant at all. We ought to have asked for the chef, I agree.

We had another server not appear to understand readily what we meant but did ask to speak to the chef that time, having long since had our morning coffee. We just didn't think to request to speak to the chef at The Wave. Weren't awake yet, I guess.

This may also have been a problem with lots of trainees new to their jobs as it was right after New Year's. We were told by another guest that we might have some not-so-Disney service everywhere due to that fact.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Nov. 2013--GF; WDW January 2010--GF; WDW July 2004--CR Tower/ DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984, Me DL 1969.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her Dotness View Post
No, and you're right, that should have been a warning, but we didn't think about it until afterward when we realized that the server probably didn't understand what we meant at all. We ought to have asked for the chef, I agree.

We had another server not appear to understand readily what we meant but did ask to speak to the chef that time, having long since had our morning coffee. We just didn't think to request to speak to the chef at The Wave. Weren't awake yet, I guess.

This may also have been a problem with lots of trainees new to their jobs as it was right after New Year's. We were told by another guest that we might have some not-so-Disney service everywhere due to that fact.
If you have allergies, regardless of what they are, always make sure you ask to speak to the chef if the server does not get them for you.

When we were at Chefs de France we tried to tell the server not to bother the chef as I already knew what I was ordering did not have anything it that I couldn't have but she told us that she doesn't have a choice in the matter, she has to get the chef if there are allergies noted on the reservation.

The reason it's important to have the chef come out and speak with you is more for their benefit than yours. It's not just that they need to make sure the ingredient that you are allergic to is not in the dish, they need to make sure that none of your food has come into any kind of contact with that ingredient so that there is no cross-contamination. This is because many food allergies have serious and sometimes fatal reactions.

I can remember when we did the tea at the Grand Floridian. I had noted that I couldn't have mayonnaise, along with a few other things on the reservation. The chef came out and spoke to me and I got a plate of ham and cheese sandwiches that were strictly for me and I wasn't even allowed to have the standard dessert on the off chance it was made with one of those ingredients. I got a completely separate dessert.

My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 01-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie-Q View Post
we had breakfast twice at The Wave a few years ago and it was outstanding! Great coffee too. I think I saw that they are now buffet for Breakfast tho?
When we were there in 2011, there was a breakfast buffet (not a character meal), but you could also order off the menu. The food was outstanding indeed. I still dream about those eggs benedict...

"Wag more. Bark less."

Victoria L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

I eat at The Wave regularly. I usually just have an appetizer and a drink at the bar, but I've never had any problem.

ilovedisney247 - Heather PassPorter Guide for The Backyard
Guide for Making More Magic
Guide for Sharing the Magic
My Countdown Counting down to: Leap 2012
24 Hours!
My Previous TripsWDW 1985 off property, WDW 1987 Contemporary, WDW 1989 Poly, WDW Sept. 2006 Pop, WDW Sept. 2007 CBR WDW Aug 2008 ASMu Dec 2008 SSR, May 2009 SSR, June 2009 SSR/VWL, Oct 2009 AKVC, Dec 2009 AKV, June 2010 SSR, Oct 2010 BWV, Nov 2010 CR, Dec 2010 ASp, April 2011 AKVC, June 2011 SSR/ASM, July 2011, ASp, Oct 2011 AKVC, Dec 2011 VGC
ilovedisney247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
If you have allergies, regardless of what they are, always make sure you ask to speak to the chef if the server does not get them for you. etc., etc. etc.
I get it, Mystic. I know all these things you suggested. No offense taken because I know I often have likely informed people of what they already know. Easy to do when we aren't familiar with the person.

We were in a hurry, chatting with each other, excited to get to the MK and simply got careless in not asking to speak to the chef.

Apparently, you took my saying that you were right to mean that I hadn't ever thought that we should have asked for the chef.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 01-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

What's this?

Community Rank: Globetrotter

I've eaten at The Wave four or five times, both breakfast and dinner, and have had good experiences, both food and service, each time.

A beautiful day in the neighborhood!
My Previous Trips10/13 - F&W, BCV, SSR [1st stay]; 5/13 - Bob and Cam's Retirement, BWV; 12/12 - Holiday Reunion, BLT; 4/12 - Bob's 65th Birthday Bash, BLT, AKV Club Level [1st stay]; 12/11 - BCF Reunion VWL, BLT [1st GV stay]; 9/11 - Labor Day BCV; 4/11 - VWL [NATREC]; 4/11 - AKV; 10/10 - Epcot F&W Fest BLT [1st stay], VWL [1st stay]; 9/10 - Labor Day BWV; 5/10 - Memorial Day AKV Kidani Village; 12/09 - Sousefest AKV Jambo House; 09/09 - BWV [1st DVC stay!]; 05/09 - PP DoD CR GW and MK View; 12/08 - Mousefest YC Club Level; 4/08 - BWI, POFQ; 4/07-5/07 - WL, Poly MK View; 4/06 - WL OFC; 1/06-2/06 - AKL; 4/05 - BC, POR; 2/04 - AKL; 4/03 - POR; 2/02 - WL, CBR; 1/01 - DxL; 4/00 - DxL, WL; 12/95 - CBR; 11/85 - Offsite; 8/74 - Royal Inn; 6/73 - Offsite; 4/73 - Offsite
LLaffinPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

Concierge Level: 1
We ate there once. Won't go back. I was not impressed. We had breakfast and I ordered the sweet potato pancakes and they were like rocks. DH had a rubbery frittata. Also had a heck of a time just getting acknowledged or a cup of coffee. They weren't even busy - just treated us like we were an annoyance. Very un-Disney.

My Countdown Counting down to: Oct 25, 2014 - Land and Sea!!!
23 days, 5 hours, 41 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW April 2010 CSR (1st trip ever), WDW Nov 2010 AKL (honeymoon after 14 years of marriage), WDW Nov 2011 (1st DVC trip) BLT, WDW Sept 2012 OKW, 2013 Christmas time split stay - SS/OKW
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote