Driving from MD to FL - any good stops? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Getting There (and Back!): Your Journey to Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Quicksilver Tours & Transportation
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Day-Tripper

Driving from MD to FL - any good stops?

In July we're driving from MD to FL for our vacation. For 4 of us, flights would be well over $1250 - thats just too crazy.

We purchased two books regarding I-95 and all the stops along the way, but nothing beats some first hand recommendations. Besides the obvious stop of South of the Border, does anyone have any personal favorites along the way that are worth seeing?

It'll be my wife and I, and our two 7-year old sons.

We're doing about 12 hours on a Wednesday, staying overnight in Jacksonville, then a quick 2 hour hop to disney the next morning and checking in. We dont want any stops that are really long, since we do have a 12 hour drive, but we're planning on about 4 hours worth of stops for food, sightseeing, buying tacky things, etc

Thanks!

Last edited by lorddamax; 03-21-2011 at 10:07 AM..
lorddamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

we may end up driving too, except from PA so I'd love to see some suggestions as well. WHen we drove down in '07 we didn't do too many stops other than rest stops. stayed overnight in savannah, ga and then drove the rest of the 4 hrs the next day.
1986 - off site..........1983 - Contemporary Resort
My Countdown Counting down to: Our Disney Vacation!
Woohoo - the day is here!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1983 - Contemporary; 1986 - off site; 1995 - Dixie Landings (honeymoon); 1999 - Dixie Landings; 2003 - Wilderness Lodge; 2005 - off site; 2007 - off site; 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter
Eeyore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Red face

Hi. We are from MD as well. What part of Maryland are you in? We will be flying to FL in Nov.
CynBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

We drive from NC and stop for the night in St. Augustine Fl,just below Jacksonville. It's a really nice small town. South of the Border is not that great. It is dirty and run down,we stopped there once(I remembered it from traveling when I was younger)and was very disappointed. We don't really make any sightseeing stops just restuarants that have play areas for the kids.
jackandjennasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Marylander too! We are flying down however and it was $950 for 4 of us. And South of the Border and Perkins were the only places we used to stop on our way down when we drove down.
My Previous TripsWDW FW camp 1988, WDW FW camp 1992, WDW POLY & DCL 1996, WDW WL 1998, WDW FW cabins/ASRS 2000, WDW ASR music 2003, WDW AKL sept. 2006 (solo trip) WDW SSR/AKL May. 2007, WDW OKW Nov. 2007, WDW SSR May. 2008, WDW AKLV Nov. 2008, WDW CONTEMP March. 2009, WDW BW Sept.2009 WDW AK Kidani Village Sept.2009, WDW BLT Jan. 2010 WDW BW Dec. 2010. WDW WLV May. 2011. WDW AKLKV Oct. 2011. WDW SS Oct. 2011. WDW BCV Oct. 2011. WDW SS May, 2013
NarnianDVCmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
South of the Border isn't a very good stop. Very run down and dingy looking and really a bunch of tourist trap type shops. Stopping in South Carolina or in Georgia would be good too. I have family in MD and we live in Ga. When they travel that's where they stop when we are going down. Good Luck!
My Previous TripsWDW Mar 2007 off site, WDW May 2008 POFQ, WDW Oct 2009 ASM, HHI Feb & July 2010, WDW Oct 2010 AKL-Kidani April 2011-HHI, July 2011-HHI, October 2011-Disney Magic, May 2012 HHI, October 2012-SSR, May 2013-GF, November 2013-HHI
dkfajr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Location: Where the Military sends us: Germany,GA,NC,VA,NC,MD,CA, Camp Lejeune NC
We used to drive from southern Maryland but did it slightly different.
We drove through the night and booked a room only at a value for our arrival day ( day before package began). T
We would leave around 8pm. The kids slept and we ( DH and I) divided up the driving /sleeping to 6 hours each. The drive is wonderful because of less traffic and it is pretty quiet, plus I had control of the radio :-)
Upon arrival we took turns with the kids. One would nap while the other took the kids to the pool. That night we hit DtD and turned in early to start our package fresh and rested :-)
This method isn't for everyone but it really worked well for our family.
Our trips back were straight through . We liked to stop just outside Savannah, and at the VA/NC border, South Hill I believe. We would have a picnic lunch and dinner just to get out of the car and stretch our legs.

St. Augustine would be my pick for an overnight if we were going that route.
HAPPY PLANNING!!
coasties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

We've driven from PA several times with our kids and we don't usually make any sightseeing stops along the way. We stop for lunch and whenever we need a rest stop and that's about it. We take a frisbee and some bubbles to help the kids run off some energy while we're at the rest stops and I always make up bags of things to keep them busy on the drive. We try to stop for the night by 7:00 or so and get a room at a hotel with an indoor pool. The kids really get a kick out of swimming in an indoor pool. And then we order pizza from a local delivery place -- which they also love to do since we don't have any pizza delivery where we live.

The one place we stop at consitently on every trip is the Florida Welcome Center. Free orange juice!!!
allgiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

We drive everytime from South Jersey and when our kids where little we drove to St Augustine and stayed over then on to Disney since then we have stayed in Daytona and gone to the race track, and we have driven straight through but stopped at museums on the way there and on the way home. This time we are going to stop in Ga or St Augustine not to sure yet and stay the night then to Disney and on the way home we are going to stop in NC or VA we are going to visit some museums on the way home. We do not do South of the Border very dirty Enjoy your Trip!
My Previous TripsWDW 1978 Senior Trip, WDW Oct 1992, WDW Aug. 1996, WDW Aug 2000, WDW Aug 2002 WDW Aug 2005, Aug 2007, Aug 2009, Dec 2011
kimjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

.......we'll be doing "the WDW drive" again the last week of August....from here in central NJ. Our stopping point (after 12.5 hrs in the car) is Brunswick, Ga. Some decent hotels there....and good restaurants.

.....when I was a kid (like...40 yrs ago)...I heard many a friend speak of South of The Border....but....times must take their toll on stuff...because the place is a dump...and I've never even thought of stopping there.

.....I do however like the St. Augustine area. We stopped there to do some outlet shopping on our way to Port Canaveral (cruise on The Wonder)...and it seems like a nice area.

My Countdown Counting down to: ....something 'different' in 2014
My Previous TripsApril '04 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'04 - All Star Music // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'05 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'06 - POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'07 - DCL & POP // Nov._"Jersey Week"_'08 - POP // Dec '09-Jan '10 and Aug-Sept 2010 - POP //Aug-Sept 2011 - POP //Aug-Sept 2012 - POP//Aug-Sept 2013 - POP
JerseyDad is offline   Reply With Quote