Help me understand RAC - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Getting There (and Back!): Your Journey to Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Quicksilver Tours & Transportation
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 3
Help me understand RAC

Okay, here's they background: In an effort to save some money next year, we're contemplating taking DME to Disney and renting a car at the CCC. I don't want to take DME back to the airport because I like to get there really early for shopping, a leisurly lunch, etc so at 3 hours before, I want to be AT the airport, not just leaving for it. That means we'll use our rental to get ourselves back to the airport (there doesn't seem to be any price difference for returning it there, just renting from there). In another thread I had, someone mentioned that even if we don't use DME to return to the airport, we can still use RAC as long as we're on a participating airline - which we would be. We'll use Southwest. So is this how everything would work?

1. I contact DME with my airline info, etc,
2. We check our luggage at our departing airport with the DME tagas and do things the way we normally would (security, etc)
3. We arrive in Disney and just make our way to DME while our bags go wherever
4. Our bags magically arrive in our room, all intact (hopefully)
5. We enjoy our vacation
6. At the end of our vacation, we go to the Resort Airline check in desk with all our luggage at least 3 hours before our take off time
7. They label it for our destination airport and take it away
8. We get our boarding passes
9. Once at the airport, all we have to do is return the car and go through security
10. Our luggage will make it home with us where we actually collect it ourselves.

I know I made a short story long, I'm really good at that but not only would I like to save a little bit of money next year, I'm also trying to make it easy on me. I'm an overpacker which means we take alot - and it's usually up to me to make sure the skycaps get everything, that we get everything off the carousel once in Disney, everyone gets appropriate tips etc. And on top of it all, it was embarrasing last year when the luggage porter made a comment about everything we had. It doesn't matter that I tipped him nicely for his help (I gave him 20 for 6 bags) I didn't like the comment. So if I'm understanding everything correctly, that means I can avoid the "hassle" of skycaps and luggage porters (plus comments) at MCO, correct (and therefore save myself all those tips?).

And now that I've said all of that, I should tip the people at RAC, correct? And should I tip them what I would the skycaps at the airport?

If you've stuck with me through my long, drawn out explanations and questions, I appreciate it - and thanks for any help/information/personal experiences/etc.

Lenny and Abby before dinner at 1900 PF

Looking for all of my previous reports? Click my PTR link.

I've started it! My NEW 2014 PTR UPDATED 7/26 Posts 32 & 33

My Countdown Counting down to: We hadn't planned on going to Disney this year, but since we're able to we're going to do it and enjoy it
8 days, 20 hours, 56 minutes
My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music
CinderAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
DMA
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Concierge Level: 4
We've always used DME both ways, so I never realized you could make use of RAC without actually riding the bus, but I guess you could! They do not check your DME info at the RAC counter. Just your photo ID.

I know what you mean about avoiding baggage handlers. The only time we've used them and of course tipped them is when they deliver our bags to the room upon arrival, (We're usually in the room when they're delivered. The one time we were not there, we did not leave a tip.) and when we leave them at the RAC counter.

~Donna

August 2011 - Girls Trip to the World

Nov/Dec 2012 - Our First Christmas Trip to the World

How much ice cream can we possible consume in one week?
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsApr. 1976 - off site, Nov. 1991 - Port Orleans, Nov. 1994 - off site, Sept. 2004 - POR, Jan. 2008 - All Star Music, Sept 2009 - POFQ, Sept/Oct 2010 - POFQ, Aug 2011 - POR, Nov/Dec 2012 - BLT Sept 2013 - BCV
DMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
I always thought that DME would not just transport your bags. It was you and your bags, or no you and no bags. I could be wrong, but I thought you had to actually ride DME to have your bags transported.

You can always ask for an earlier DME reservation on your departure day.

Rico: He's not a mutt, he's a "Designer Breed."
My Previous TripsWDW Nov 1987, offsite WDW-April 2007, AS-Movies WDW-Dec. 2007, Contemporary WDW-Jan. 2009, Caribbean Beach WDW-April 2009, AS-Music Family Suites WDW-Dec. 2009, Port Orleans French Quarter WDW-May 2010, Boardwalk Inn WDW-Nov. 2010, Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW-Jan. 2011, Port Orleans Riverside/Polynesian WDW-Oct. 2011, Pop Century WDW - Jan. 2012, Wilderness Lodge WDW - Jan. 2013, Art of Animation and Yacht Club WDW - Oct. 2013, Coronado Springs WDW- Jan. 2014, All Star Sports
JoanneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
I always thought that DME would not just transport your bags. It was you and your bags, or no you and no bags. I could be wrong, but I thought you had to actually ride DME to have your bags transported
At the beginning of our trip, we will be taking DME but at the end, we'd be using RAC, which according to Allears has absolutely nothing to do with DME, therefore you can use it without using DME

Quote:
* This service is separate from Magical Express. You do not have to participate in Magical Express to utilize the Resort Airline Check-in Service.

My Countdown Counting down to: We hadn't planned on going to Disney this year, but since we're able to we're going to do it and enjoy it
My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music
Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Concierge Level: 6
That sound amazing to me, and less stressful as well. I hope it all works out.

Last time I went to WDW, I got the rental car and my DH took the kids on DME so we didn't have to mess with luggage. We made sure that the DME tags were all for people who were actually using DME so that way my bags got to the room as well. On the way back, we did the same thing.

Really wish I had know that RAC and DME were totally separate.

We are not renting a car this time around, but good to know for our next trip.

Thank you..

My Countdown Counting down to: Our Next WDW Vacation
WE MADE IT
My PassPorter Bookshelf
JanetCatherineB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

WE always do what you plan on doing. We take DME from airport to resort, we pick up our rental car at the Disney Car Care Center, and on the return trip we always use RAC for our checked bags, and we tip at least $1 or $2 per bag. Sometimes we take the DME bus, sometimes we take the rental car to airport.
RAC is a separate service from DME. Both work well.
Shoes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

You could always request an earlier dme pick up for the return flight home that would save you renting a car.
1989+1993 Carribbean Beach,1996 ASS+Dixie Landings,1998 DL,2000 CB Hurricaine Floyd!!,2001 DL,2003 CS,2004 WL,2005 POR,2006 seven night eastern carb. disney cruise!!!,2006 Halloween Liki Tiki,May 2007 off site Orange Lake,May 2007 AKL,Sept 2007 CS,Oct 2008 Halloween ASM,May 2009 PC+ a seven night eastern carb. cruise,Feb 2010 GCV,BCV + BLT Sept 2011; OKW 8/12;Kindani 9/13: POR 3/13; Jambo Club Level & SS 6/14
disneydeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

I think you have to get your luggage turned in to the RAC desk in the morning of your departure day. The desk is only open for certain hours. Check on that when at your resort.

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum
HiddenMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

This plan will work exactly as you described it. We have used Resort Airline Check-in when we were returning a car at the airport, and it does reduce time spent in line at the airport. We do tip the RAC staff what we would tip a brllxap at the airport.

It is definitely important to check the hours at the RAC desk to be sure you drop off your bags before they close for the way. I think the desk usually has a sign with the hours even when it's closed.

Happy planning!
Melissa
My Previous TripsWDW offsite December 1976, 1979, 1981, 1984, 1986, 1988; DL 1995, 1996; WDW Boardwalk Inn May 1997, January 2000; WDW Boardwalk Villas September 2001; DL Hyatt May 2002; WDW Beach Club/DCL Wonder October 2002; WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge October 2004; DL Hyatt August 2005; WDW Wilderness Lodge/DCL Wonder February 2006; DCL Magic Western Carib. January 2007; WDW Boardwalk Villas October 2007; Animal Kingdom Lodge/DCL Magic Eastern Carib. January 2008; WDW Beach Club Villas/Vero Beach June 2008; DL Grand Californian June 2009; DCL Wonder January 2010; WDW Boardwalk Villas June 2010; WDW Saratoga Springs October 2011; DCL Dream January 2012; DL Grand Californian Villas June 2012; WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo November 2012; DCL Magic Mediterranean June 2013; WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo/DCL Magic February 2014
MelissaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenMickey View Post
I think you have to get your luggage turned in to the RAC desk in the morning of your departure day. The desk is only open for certain hours. Check on that when at your resort.
Thanks for mentioning this - I'll make a note to make sure I find out the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaL View Post
This plan will work exactly as you described it. We have used Resort Airline Check-in when we were returning a car at the airport, and it does reduce time spent in line at the airport. We do tip the RAC staff what we would tip a brllxap at the airport.

It is definitely important to check the hours at the RAC desk to be sure you drop off your bags before they close for the way. I think the desk usually has a sign with the hours even when it's closed.

Happy planning!
Melissa
Thanks Melissa for confirming what I was hoping. And thanks to you too about mentioning the times. I'll make sure I note to find them out.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

The RAC desk is open from 5 am - 1 pm. We used RAC last month (in conjunction with DME) and it really couldn't be any simpler. I would definitely recommend it.

Disney's Magical Express and Resort Check-in Service Scroll down for the RAC info.
My Previous TripsApril 2014 - Disney Fantasy, March 2014 - AoA, November 2013 - CSR, October 2013 - BWI, August 2013 - AoA, March 2013 - BWI, February 2013 - Disney Dream, October 2012 - Dolphin, September 2012 - POFQ, June 2012 - Pop, March 2012 - CBR, October 2011 - BCV, September 2011 - AKL, June 2011 - Pop, May 2011- Yacht Club, January 2011 - POFQ, December 2010 - Swan, October 2010 - BWI & CSR, September 2010 - GF, May 2010 - Poly, December 2009 - WL, May 2009 - CBR, May 2009 - Disney's HHI, March 2009 - CR, December 2008 - Disney's HHI, December 2008 - CR, August 2008 - AS Sports, March 2008 - POR, July 1999 - Off-property, Several childhood trips - Off-property
annc98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Recovering VMK Addict!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

There are 3 separate companies at work here:
1. DME - which is Mears contracted by Disney
2. RAC - Resort Airline Check-in Service, which allows you to check your luggage, and receive your boarding passes. This is a third party, not DIsney, and is approved by the TSA to collect luggage.
3. BAGS- transports you luggage to your resort in you use DME and back to the airport if you use RAC.

Upon arrival at MCO, you must use DME in order for BAGS to transport your luggage from MCO to your resort.

When you return to MCO you do not need to use DME, but rather just check you luggage with RAC and BAGS will transport the luggage.

The RAC desk is usually open from 5 am to 1 pm. You can check your luggage with them anywhere from 12 before your flight to 3 hours. I suggest allowing more than 3 hours because lines at the RAC desk can be quite long and you could miss DME, if using it, or even your flight.

Robin aka Fortissimo Guide for: Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans, Getting There and Back, Central Florida Attractions, and Running at Walt Disney World
My Countdown Counting down to: Harvest Moon 70.3 Half Ironman
38 days, 23 hours, 56 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDLR 6/1976 & 3/1986. WDW offsite Sept. 1985, Jan. 1988, Dec/Jan 1990/91, July, 1999. Enough of the off-site stays! CBR June 2000; PO-R June 2002; POP, CBR and Daytona Beach June 2005; 40th b-day celebration PO-R & AKL, June 2006; POFQ, Daytona (to watch Stinky win Nationals!) and back to the Fish (Dolphin) 2007.
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Sounds like you've gotten some good info already Darlene!

One thing I will add, even if you do not use DME to go back to the airport, you may still want to provide them with your return flight information. The last time I was at the resort they printed my boarding pass for me and it was in an envelope on my door the morning of checkout, all I had to do was check my bags with RAC.

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDL 1990/1993/1996 :: WDW Aug 2003 (offsite) :: WDW Oct 2008 (offsite) :: WDW Oct 2009 Pop Century :: WDW Dec 2009 ASSports :: WDW April 2010 AKL-Kidani :: WDW Oct 2010 ASMovies :: DCL Oct 2010 Western Magic :: DCL Sept 2011 Bahamian Dream :: WDW Oct 2011 SSR :: WDW March 2012 OKW :: DCL Sept 2012 NY to Canadian Maritimes Magic :: DCL June 2013 Alaska Wonder :: WDW March 2014 ASMovies
unewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

Think of RAC as curbside check-in, only the curb is 20 miles from the airport.
karen63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Think of RAC as curbside check-in, only the curb is 20 miles from the airport.
I like that description - thanks.