What are your pre-trip "rituals"? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Getting There (and Back!): Your Journey to Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Quicksilver Tours & Transportation
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

What are your pre-trip "rituals"?

Regardless of our destination, there are certain things that I want to get done before leaving home. Feel free to add yours - I'm sure I've forgotten something important.

At home:
- clean the house and change the sheets so we come back having less to do
- get a pedicure or at least paint my toenails
- haircut within 2 weeks of leaving. My hair is spoiled by soft water here and the less of it there is to act weird because of hard water in a hotel, the better.
- get my eyebrows waxed
- Repack my carry-on bag about 45 times

On the plane and in the hotel:
- wipe down everything with a Clorox wipe. Toddlers find a way to touch everything.

Rachel

Blogging about whatever comes to mind at The New Smiths.
My Previous TripsWDW - Contemporary 1987, Off-Property 1989, Off-Property 1994, Dixie Landings 1996, Swan Dec 1998, Off-Property 2001, Dolphin Mar 2012, Boardwalk Villas Feb 2013
thenewsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
We pack the cars the night before we leave and I check everything before we do it. As we drive away we get to the end of the high street before I do an emergency stop and check tickets, passports, etc then we can go.

My Countdown Counting down to: Weekend at Warner's Movie World and Seaworld on the Gold Coast
6 days, 18 hours, 41 minutes
Thomhazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
I'm with you on the packing and repacking. My biggest ritual, I guess, is snuggling all my furkids and assuring them we'll be back soon. The cats are happy enough to see us come back, but the rats go out of their little rattie minds with delight to see their humans again. I also make sure I've left adequate instructions for the petsitter and contact info so she can call us anytime if there's a problem. I post it on our front door, so it's a good last minute double check thing.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
We always get as much washing done as we can before we go, so we don't have much to do before we get back and we always try and get a haircut (and colour for me ) a week or so before we go.

Meeting Captain Mickey on our magical Mediterranean vacation - the trip report is now underway. The trip report for our weekends in Scotland for the Commonwealth Games is now underway.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.
My Countdown Counting down to: Back to Glasgow for athletics action
Exploring Glasgow and the surrounding area
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Besides cleaning the house I like to plug in some lights to automatically go on at dark and off in the morning, so lights are on in the house. Also like to put freashners in the toilet bowls, and be sure there is no trash in any cans. Make sure someone takes the garbage down so we dont come home to it scattered from the racoons, or bear. I also do the pack, repack, take out put in I am going to try to not pack for the next trip till a month before the trip.
My Previous TripsHRP 90, 93,95,97,98,2001 ALL AT CB, 2002-WL. In 2003 WL,CB, CS 2004 CB,WL 2005 CB,BC/WL ,2006 PC,WL,PC, 2007 FW, PC, 2008-PC , SS, PC. 2009 Poly. PC ,WLV. 2010 PC,AKL. 2011 & 2013 WL.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

We have timers on some of our light switches and I always make sure they are set to come on at the right time. I always do this before we walk out the door.
MichaelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

All trash out, dishes cleaned, beds made. petsitter instructions out , doors locked, enough food bought for animals, haircuts done, passports-cash-tickets-adr's in carry ons-house key taken, all toiletries-clothes packed two weeks in advance
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW SEPT 2012 BEACH CLUB VILLA WDW SEPT 2010 BEACH CLUB WDW DEC 2009-CORONADO RESORT WDW APRIL 2009-CORONADO RESORT WDW MAY 2007-CARIBBEAN RESORT WDW AUG 2004ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE WDW JUNE 1997 CARIBBEAN RESORT
mike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

Concierge Level: 5
Rundown the freezer stock (in case of power outs while we are gone), spotless house, fresh sheets and towels out for our return, we also have the lights and a radio on timers, check all the windows are keylocked (about 50 times I check this)! Put new chlorine drum on pool mixer, mow lawn and wash windows (I really want it to look like we are home). I cut the kid's hair, DH goes to the barber, I pack our oldest tennis shoes so we can buy new ones, relabel the suitcases, triple check the passports are in date and re-confirm the travel details, exchange some Aussie cash for foreign currency and overpay the credit card just to make sure! I try to make sure in the previous month that I am only buying essential items if I go shopping and I schedule any bills to be paid automatically before I go.
When we go away in January each year I make sure the kid's new school item are all ready for the new school year starting a few days after our return. I have now just realised my youngest child has a uniform change and the shop does not open until 30 Jan!!! Oops! I did try to be organised but FAILED.

Our recent trip to DLP means we have now visited every park worldwide TWICE!
Now I'm working on sailing each of the cruise ships...
My Countdown Counting down to: Disneyland 2015
395 days, 23 hours, 11 minutes
My Previous TripsDLR 1995, DLP 1998, DLR 1998, DLR 2002, WDW 2005, WDW 2006, WDW 2008, TDR 2010, HKDL 2010,WDW 2011,TDR 2012,HKDL 2012, DLP and Magic cruise 2013
Tigger71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

You mean besides obsessively checking to make sure you put the package info in the car--and then getting five miles down the road and discovering no big brown envelope??? Oh, yeah, we did that this year, when my husband "helped" me pack the car. It was fun tossing the whole packed car into the parking lot of a gas station (yes, it was in there, just not where I had put it originally). At least we didn't make it to Florida without our reservation info. I know our crack TA could have gotten it fixed for us, but still. Who needs the hassle?

So I'm going back to putting everything directly into my PassPorter and then into the glove box as they are received. And checking it twice. Three times, maybe...

Nik & his favorite guy Goofy at DHS Osborne Lights
Sandra in Northern VA
My Countdown Counting down to: Our next stay at All Star Music with free dining!
99 days, 23 hours, 11 minutes
My Previous TripsOff-site 1973, 1975, 1984, 1985, 1988. All Star Music 2001-2012; Swan 2011. All Star Movies 2013.
yalibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

I usually am the last one up on the night before a trip. I clean the house and finish laundry. Then I walk around the house unplugging those things not needed, check the doors and make sure the fish feeder is working.

If it is summer, I fill two liter bottles with water and then stick them in the soil of all my flower pots so that they self water while I am away.

DH, DW, DS18, DD12
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Cruise July 2013
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Polynesian March 1990, WDW Polynesian May 1992, WDW Caribbean April 1997, WDW All Star Music May 1998, WDW Contemporary June 2000, WDW Contemporary 2003, WDW Contemporary April 2005, WDW Polynesian July 2007, DCL Magic-Eastern Caribbean/WDW SSR March 2008, DCL Magic - Western Caribbean July 2009, BLT - June 2010, Pop Century Thanksgiving Trip - Nov 2010, Treehouse Villa Spring Break trip - April 2011, Saratoga Springs adults only trip - May 2011, Saratoga Springs - April 2012, Girls Only 3 Night Magic Cruise - December 2012
pago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Another one I thought of is to clear all unnecessary apps from my phone and clear out the photos.

ETA: I just realized that Photo Stream will only hold 1000 pictures. I suppose I should clean that out too.

Rachel

Blogging about whatever comes to mind at The New Smiths.
My Previous TripsWDW - Contemporary 1987, Off-Property 1989, Off-Property 1994, Dixie Landings 1996, Swan Dec 1998, Off-Property 2001, Dolphin Mar 2012, Boardwalk Villas Feb 2013

Last edited by thenewsmiths; 01-14-2013 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: Add
thenewsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

We clean pics off our phones and cameras, charge all electronics and pack chargers, move all necessities to travel purse and wallet, notify house sitter, put trash at the curb, flush all toilets, in winter we lower the heat and in summer we shut off the AC, adjust water sprinklers, lock all windows and doors, stop mail delivery, order photo pass, order groceries to be delivered to resort, buy Disney gift cards, wrap Tinker Bell gifts, pre-buy snacks and wine and pack them, get a new game or ap for the children's electronics, buy new books for everyone to read on the trip, set out DVR, and figure out how to surprise the children for the seventh time

(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
«.·°·. Melissa .·°·.»
(¸.·º(¸.·¨* *¨·.¸)º·.¸)

My Countdown Counting down to: Time to get away from the in-laws
Chaos ~ Confusion ~ and fun
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsSummer 1976 - Yogi Bear Campground Summer 1983 - Off Site Summer 1996 - Off Site October 1999 - Polynesian May 2002 - Off Site October 2004 - Off Site October 2006 - All Star Music/Orange Lake Timeshare March 2007 - POR September-October 2007 - Caribbean Beach Resort/Bonnet Creek/POP Century Feb 2008 - ASMU/Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2008 - Bonnet Creek May 2009 - First Solo Trip POFQ Oct 2009 - POR April/May 2010 - All Star Music Oct/Nov 2010 - Bonnett Creek/POP Feb 2012 - Bonnet Creek/Vacation Village Oct 2012 - Bonnet Creek
Tink1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Oh - and buy pins and Leggo Minifigs in advance to trade in the parks.

(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
«.·°·. Melissa .·°·.»
(¸.·º(¸.·¨* *¨·.¸)º·.¸)

My Countdown Counting down to: Time to get away from the in-laws
Chaos ~ Confusion ~ and fun
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsSummer 1976 - Yogi Bear Campground Summer 1983 - Off Site Summer 1996 - Off Site October 1999 - Polynesian May 2002 - Off Site October 2004 - Off Site October 2006 - All Star Music/Orange Lake Timeshare March 2007 - POR September-October 2007 - Caribbean Beach Resort/Bonnet Creek/POP Century Feb 2008 - ASMU/Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2008 - Bonnet Creek May 2009 - First Solo Trip POFQ Oct 2009 - POR April/May 2010 - All Star Music Oct/Nov 2010 - Bonnett Creek/POP Feb 2012 - Bonnet Creek/Vacation Village Oct 2012 - Bonnet Creek
Tink1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Do the laundry, pack like a fiend, load the car the night before. Then we usually have to get up at 3 am to drive to the airport listening to Disney road mix after stopping for cappuccinos at Sheetz. Have breakfasts at the airport.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Tripsover 25 trips to WDW starting in 1972-some with my family, others just with my spouse have stayed at Old Key West x 3, Vacation Villas x2,POR (was still Dixie Landings then), All Star Sports x3, Vero Beach x2, POP x 5
sk8mom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

We always call the credit card company to put a travel notification on our account so we don't have any problems using the card on our trip.

My Countdown Counting down to: Mardi Gras at Bay Lake Tower
Let the Memories Begin!
pinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote