Advice from other nervous flyers - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Getting There (and Back!): Your Journey to Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Quicksilver Tours & Transportation
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Tourist

Advice from other nervous flyers

I think I've come to a decision to fly instead of driving. I haven't been on a plane since 1974 so I'm a little nervous.

Do those Earplane plugs really work? I remember as a kid having hell of a time getting my ears to pop after we landed.

What about sinus medicine, what works best in your opinion?

I'm hoping I get get over my anxiety about flying. It would be nice to get there in 3 hours instead of 20+ hours of driving.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

My daughter had a lot of problems with her ears when flying. She could never get them to pop and always ended up with an ear ache. On these boards I first heard about earplanes and we tried them. They worked good for her. She still has mild discomfort once in a while but the ear aches are gone and she looks forward to flying.
MichaelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Day-Tripper

Concierge Level: 7
I use the earplanes everytime I fly. They are a little uncomfortable to wear, but if they work I am willing to wear them. I also found if you take a nasal decongestant an hour before the flight helps as well. Make sure to put them in before the cabin door is closed and leave them in until you're on the ground. Good luck and happy flying!

Jennifer
My Countdown Counting down to: Mother/Daughter Birthday Trip
Time to Party
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW 1997, All Star Movies 1999, All Star Movies 2000(MNSSHP), Boardwalk 2002, Off Property April 2011, Caribbean Beach 2012(MNSSHP), Pop Century February 2014,
crewof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 6
Bring something to keep you busy. My DH likes to do Sudoku and Word Find puzzles on the plane to keep his mind off the fact he's flying. Other people bring movies on their electronic devices to watch or books to read.

Chew gum during take offs and landings.

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum
HiddenMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
I tried something new for my last flight and it worked great. I used 1 sudafed and 2 ibuprofen and used PSI bands on the flight. It was the first time ever I could visit a park the same day I flew in and not feel sick. I was still a little dry-mouthed on the airplane, but I brought my own water bottle onto the plane and used that.

The ibuprofen helped prevent the sinus swelling and the half dose of sudafed stopped the post nasal drip and fluid in my ears. PSI bands are similar to SeaBands, but are reuseable and I found them at Target. No air sickness at all!

Rico: He's not a mutt, he's a "Designer Breed."
My Countdown Counting down to: Our Well Deserved Winter Break
77 days, 11 hours, 58 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW Nov 1987, offsite WDW-April 2007, AS-Movies WDW-Dec. 2007, Contemporary WDW-Jan. 2009, Caribbean Beach WDW-April 2009, AS-Music Family Suites WDW-Dec. 2009, Port Orleans French Quarter WDW-May 2010, Boardwalk Inn WDW-Nov. 2010, Animal Kingdom Lodge WDW-Jan. 2011, Port Orleans Riverside/Polynesian WDW-Oct. 2011, Pop Century WDW - Jan. 2012, Wilderness Lodge WDW - Jan. 2013, Art of Animation and Yacht Club WDW - Oct. 2013, Coronado Springs WDW- Jan. 2014, All Star Sports
JoanneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
Earplanes are fantastic although fairly expensive. One pair will last you roundtrip. Get the brand name ones; the store brand ones I've tried didn't work as well.

I never found that chewing gum helped me much. Earplanes, however, work!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.
Her Dotness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipped View Post
I think I've come to a decision to fly instead of driving. I haven't been on a plane since 1974 so I'm a little nervous.

Do those Earplane plugs really work? I remember as a kid having hell of a time getting my ears to pop after we landed.

What about sinus medicine, what works best in your opinion?

I'm hoping I get get over my anxiety about flying. It would be nice to get there in 3 hours instead of 20+ hours of driving.
Hi and Welcome to the boards.

I have inner ear problems and in the past, my head has felt like it was going to explode my pain was so bad but in 2011 when I flew, I heard about those earplanes here on the boards, so I got some. It so happens I also had an appointment with and ear doctor and she told me to take a Sudafed (from behind the pharmacy counter, not the ones on the store shelves) and use some Afrin an hour before departure time and to use the earplanes on the plane. Other than just a little discomfort in one ear - from the earplane itself (one ear has a smaller opening than the other) and it went away shortly after it was removed - I had no problems whatsoever. I plan on doing all that again this year when we fly back to Disney.

Celebrating Lenny's birthday at Epcot August 2014

Looking for all of my previous reports? Click my TR link.

Our FROZEN filled TR UPDATED 10/13 POSTS 258 & 259

My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music
CinderAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

I use bonine and that helps me fly I chew gum, and keep busy with doing something, the Grandkids keep me occupied keeping them busy that always helps me not think about discomfort, mind over matter.
My Previous TripsHRP 90, 93,95,97,98,2001 ALL AT CB, 2002-WL. In 2003 WL,CB, CS 2004 CB,WL 2005 CB,BC/WL ,2006 PC,WL,PC, 2007 FW, PC, 2008-PC , SS, PC. 2009 Poly. PC ,WLV. 2010 PC,AKL. 2011 & 2013 WLV-.2014 WLV
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

I take Advil Cold & Sinus about 1 hour before departure and chew gum during take off. Since starting this routine, I have had no problems. I too am a nervous flyer. I take Pocket Posh puzzle books and a mechanical pencil with me. I can do the puzzles during take off when electronic devices have to be turned off. The Pocket Posh books come in different types of puzzles - sudoku, word search, logic, etc. I personally like the word roundup books because it gives you a category - for example six colors - then you have to find six colors. A little more work than word search but I work my brain enough that I don't think about flying. Good luck and enjoy your flight.
Belle320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

I read the book: Flying without Fear. It is really good. It explains every noise you will hear and makes things more realistic. I take it on every flight. I just find it is a good book and it calms my anxieties abit. I am not a seasoned travler so anxiety will always be an issue for me.
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Navigator

Concierge Level: 5
I bought 2 boxes of Earplanes for my DGS and DGD. It just happened that neither one of them needed it. That was great. We all chew gum and that helps for us.

My Countdown Counting down to: A WONDERFUL FAMILY TRIP!!
413 days, 7 hours, 28 minutes
My Previous TripsNOVEMBER 1994-LARSON'S LODGE/NOVEMBER 1996-LARSON'S LODGE/JULY 1998-LARSON'S LODGE/ OCTOBER 2008 -POP CENTURY/ 2010- POP CENTURY/ SEPTEMBER 2012-POP CENTURY/OCTOBER 2013-POP CENTURY/SEPTEMBER 2014~POP CENTURY
Roxie2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Concierge Level: 3
I was getting over a cold and worried about my head when flying. I had a retired military pilot tell me to take Afrin nasal spray, they would use it upon landing for pressure in the nose/sinuses. I bought the Afrin sinus and as I felt the pressure on the plane used it. It worked great!
My Previous TripsWDW AKL Nov 01, POP CENTURY Nov 04, Yellowstone May 06, Michigan UP July 07, WDW offsite Aug 08, WDW CSR June 09, NYC/Gettysburg/DC June 11 Houston/San Antonio June 12 BWV January 2013
mmsportsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

All great tips. The ear planes work,way better than I thought they would. I have to have good music,especially the Animal Kingdom CD. One of my co-workers gave me the best tip,2 actually. When you take off count to 10,if you're still in the air,you're doing OK,you can relax. The other was watch the flight attendants. If they are calm relax. If they look nervous,then...

"Life can be as easy as a fall,it's all so easy once you just let go."
My Countdown Counting down to: 2013 Vacation
6 hours, 58 minutes
My Previous TripsHoneymoon(after 14years!)2010 at AKL,Nov'11(First as DVC members),November'11 BLT,September '12 Old Key West,April 2013,a last min. Trip at the "Swolfin"
ChukkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Community Rank: Tourist

Thanks everyone for great advice.

Also just found out that Jetblue now does nonstop flights from an airport that's closer to home and easier to get to so that's a plus.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

We buy earplanes for our oldest DD who has multiple issues. She hardly complains on the flights anymore. And won't go to the airport, until I show her they are packed!
My Previous TripsWDW 1985, WDW 1989, WDW 1995, WDW 2007, Disney Wonder 2008, SSR 2009, AKL 2010, DCL 5 night cruise May 30th 2010. WDW Jan 2011. 6 days at Treehouses and 7 day on the Fantasy. Old Key West Nov 2012. Treehouses Oct 2013. Beach Club villas and Bay Lake Towers May/June 2014. Sept 2014 Offsite 4 days and OKW for 5. Hoping to returnÖ.
nurse_mom is offline   Reply With Quote