NO IDP NEEDED FOR CANADIANS - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Getting There (and Back!): Your Journey to Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Quicksilver Tours & Transportation
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

NO IDP NEEDED FOR CANADIANS

You do not need to get an IDP for driving in Florida. No Florida law enforcement agency will be enforcing it. It's all over the news up here. Even the insurance bureau of Canada is saying that its not needed as well as car rental agencies. I feel sorry for all of those people who went out and got one. What a cash grab its been for CAA up here!! The law was originally instated because officers couldn't read drivers licences that weren't in English.
My Previous TripsDisney has always been a part of vacations!!!
cdnmickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
I hope the information about this is right, as I've just found this on the AA (Automobile Association for the UK) website, which appears to contradict this:

R USA (Florida) compulsory IDP 1 January 2013
A law introduced in Florida, USA, on 1 January 2013 requires all persons who hold a licence issued outside of the US to carry an International Driving Permit along with their national driving licence. Without an IDP, a driver is therefore driving without a valid licence. If stopped, law enforcement has the options of:
  • Arresting the driver and taking them to jail
  • Or giving the driver a citation with a mandatory court appearance

Enjoying time in beautiful Verona on our Italy road trip. The trip reports for our cruise on the Magic around Greece and Turkey and a day out in Paris are now complete.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.
My Countdown Counting down to: Our wedding anniversary
11 days, 12 hours, 12 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think they didn't really think this one through. The law was intended for non-English drivers licenses so that officers would be able to verify the licence. It was never intended for English written drivers licences. Plus they are now saying that the law is against the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic. Several if not all Florida police agencies have said they will not enforce this law and the law itself is being reviewed. Yes if you have a non-English drivers licence I would get an IDP but if your drivers licence is in English I wouldn't get an IDP. We are going in may and won't be getting one.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

Community Rank: Globetrotter

Concierge Level: 6
Does anyone know if the rental agencies are enforcing this new law? That could be a determining factor in whether people with licenses in English really need to get the IDP.
shazza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

According to the news up here , they will not be asking for an IDP.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

To me it is too confusing and I'm just not going to take the risk

My Countdown Counting down to: Sneaky extra trip home to Scotland
12 days, 23 hours, 42 minutes
Thomhazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

I am advising all of my clients to get it anyway. For the sake of a couple of pounds it is worth not having the hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tishypops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

What's this?

Community Rank: Explorer

There's an awful lot of Canadian "sunbirds" driving down to South Florida every year. They definitely did not think this through. It's easy to see how a "Canadian exception" is a business necessity (presuming the rest of the law stands).

Not only are there international conventions to consider, but the treaties between the US and Canada. Those trump anything a state or province might try to do.

Co-Author, PassPorter's Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line, and PassPorter's Disneyland and Southern California Attractions

http://www.passporter.com/
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Magic Post-Drydock
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsToo many to recall!
Dave Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marx View Post
There's an awful lot of Canadian "sunbirds" driving down to South Florida every year. They definitely did not think this through. It's easy to see how a "Canadian exception" is a business necessity (presuming the rest of the law stands).

Not only are there international conventions to consider, but the treaties between the US and Canada. Those trump anything a state or province might try to do.
From something I was reading earlier (the Orlando Sentinel), they're also saying that this law may feel in the face of various international treaties. Visit Orlando are reportedly concerned about the impact this could have on international tourism to the state, particularly from Canada and the UK.

Enjoying time in beautiful Verona on our Italy road trip. The trip reports for our cruise on the Magic around Greece and Turkey and a day out in Paris are now complete.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.
My Countdown Counting down to: Our wedding anniversary
11 days, 12 hours, 12 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

It seems this law that quietly went into effect is now totally backfiring on them. They have so confused everyone with this. I can't believe that they seriously did not think this through. I have no doubt that either the law will be restated to exclude English written drivers licences or just repeal the law entirely.

This is such a mess!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

I heard about this yeasterday. Wow crazy. I did hear that they along with 2-3 other states will not be inforcing it. Thank heavens
Old 02-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

What's this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnmickeyfan View Post
It seems this law that quietly went into effect is now totally backfiring on them. They have so confused everyone with this. I can't believe that they seriously did not think this through. I have no doubt that either the law will be restated to exclude English written drivers licences or just repeal the law entirely.

This is such a mess!!!
The legislature probably doesn't get a chance to either repeal or amend. The state simply has no jurisdiction, English-language exception or not. If someone gets this before a judge before the legislature reconvenes, it's gone.

Co-Author, PassPorter's Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line, and PassPorter's Disneyland and Southern California Attractions

http://www.passporter.com/
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Magic Post-Drydock
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsToo many to recall!
Dave Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 2
I left for Florida Jan 18, hadn't even heard about this "law" then, and I had no problem renting a car from Alamo. I wasn't asked about IDL, and didn't even hear about this law, until a few days ago when it was on the BCTV news hour!

I'm glad I hadn't heard about it before my trip, I'd have been a nervous wreck, I need a car rental because I fly into Ft. Lauderdale first to visit family, then drive up to WDW. I never use a car rental at WDW, we return it after check in.
My Previous TripsWDW Aug 2003 LBV Marriott Courtyard, Universal/Sea World/Busch Gardens Aug 2005 Hilton Garden Inn SeaWorld, WDW Aug. 2007 CBR, WDW Jan. 2008 POP & WL, Universal/SeaWorld/Aquatica Aug 2008 Hyatt Place,Sheraton 4 Points, Hard Rock Hotel & Doubletree Universal., St. Pete Beach Aug 2008, WDW Jan 2009 AKL, WDW Aug 2009 POR & WL, WDW Jan 2010 Poly, WDW Jan 2011 POR, WDW Aug 2011 POR & BC CL, WDW Jan 2012 WL, WDW Aug 2012 AKL CL, WDW Jan 2013 POFQ, WDW Aug 2013 Pop, GF, YC: WDW Jan 2014 POR, WDW & Universal August 2014 GF & Portofino Bay, And too many trips to count to DL in the 80's.
Sue M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnmickeyfan View Post
You do not need to get an IDP for driving in Florida. No Florida law enforcement agency will be enforcing it. It's all over the news up here. Even the insurance bureau of Canada is saying that its not needed as well as car rental agencies. I feel sorry for all of those people who went out and got one. What a cash grab its been for CAA up here!! The law was originally instated because officers couldn't read drivers licences that weren't in English.
Cash grab for CAA?? Really? That would infer that the CAA has anything to do with this law. They are the ones that supply the IDP, so don't shoot the messenger here, it isn't their fault some Florida politician baked their head a bit too much in the hot sun

My Dad just got a message back from the Governor's office as both he and my Mom winter in Fla, and was told that Canadians (or at the very least Ontarioans) will not need the license. It seems like this has been a huge mis communication, probably a case of some bureaucrat coming up with a "great idea" that is going to cause more trouble than it's worth

Tim
Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Here's the latest info on foreign driving in Florida.

HSMV: New Law Impacts International Drivers