anyone else hate long road trips? - Page 2 - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Getting There (and Back!): Your Journey to Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Quicksilver Tours & Transportation
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Me! lol i dont care for it. 7 hours is my max, anything over that is too long. lol

thinktink79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

Concierge Level: 5
I hate to fly, too...

But driving from Oregon takes 45 hours. We could do it in the past but now that kids are grown, it's not possible; they only have so much time off from work.

So flying it is. At least we are bringing lots of things to distract us on the future flight.

Good luck!

My Countdown Counting down to: First trip with grandkids
785 days, 23 hours, 54 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDL Spring 2007, WDW Fall 2001 Shades of Green, WDW Spring 1994 SofG, WDW Fall 1993 SofG, can't remember others....
WDW2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

I hate driving long distances. Flying is the way to go for us. Only about a 2 1/2 our flight from Michigan to MCO.
MichaelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

reading this s I am literally in the middle of a road trip from Long Island to Chicago - which is 15 hours non-stop. Thankfully, we break it up and hit a few places along the way. We just did our biggest stretch - 8 hours - DH is snoring on the bed, DS is zoned on the iPad and DD is already in bed in pj's resting, lol. We don't mind road trips BUT we stop at hotels and usually don't do more than 8-9 hours at a time. When we were younger and DD was 1.5 yo, we did straight through to Chicago. God only knows why That said, we fly to WDW. We fly usually because of time constraints, if we did it over the summer I'm sure we'd drive. Not so much for savings (since we'd probably make a few stops) but more so for the experience for the kids. They are good travelers and we like them to see/do different things.
My Previous TripsWDW 1982, WDW GF Sept. 1998 honeymoon, WL April 06, WL Nov. 08, BWV March 10, BCV Oct. 11, GF Nov. 13
notjustamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

It has been ages since I did a really long road trip. I didn't mind them at all. We have a road trip coming up in August. We are driving from Los Angeles to Orlando. I am the only driver so won't be doing a long day of it. We will start out early and try and end by 1 or 2pm. We will also be traveling with our dog. That will be interesting.

The last road trip I did was to San Francisco with our girl scout troop. We did a stop for lunch and one to gas up. It is really just an 8 hour drive to SF from our area.
Finally totally in our new house.
My Previous TripsCountless Saturdays at Disneyland (Premium AP) 9/12 Disneyland Hotel,10/12 VGC WDW 7/05 All Star Movies 12/06 All Star Movies 12/10 ASMO/CBR 4/11 POFQ Spring Break with our friends 8/11 OKw/AKL DVC stay
Disney4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney4us2 View Post
It has been ages since I did a really long road trip. I didn't mind them at all. We have a road trip coming up in August. We are driving from Los Angeles to Orlando. I am the only driver so won't be doing a long day of it. We will start out early and try and end by 1 or 2pm. We will also be traveling with our dog. That will be interesting.

The last road trip I did was to San Francisco with our girl scout troop. We did a stop for lunch and one to gas up. It is really just an 8 hour drive to SF from our area.
Now THAT is a roadtrip. Probably doesn't get much more cross country than that! LOL

Good luck to you!

Our Disney Vacation Trip Report - September 2012
My Previous TripsWDW (Offsite) Nov 1991, WDW (All Star Movies) Sept 2006, WDW (Pop Century) Sept 2008, WDW (Pop Century) Sept 2010, WDW (Caribbean Beach) Sept 2012, WDW (Pop Century) Dec 2013
DisneyMamaSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

I loathed road trips mostly because I grew up in Chicago in the 70's with parents who wouldn't even drive to Michigan, if it was more than two hours we were on a plane and that's what I was used to. My husband loves road trips because it's how he grew up. He is from Florida and now we reside in St. Louis, after about 10 road trips over the years to visit his family I have now come to really enjoy them especially since we have two little ones. We try and find little dives to try along the way and it has made for some wonderful memories and experiences. We like to watch the Food Network and especially Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives we have been to some places and tried foods we never would have if we flew. It's all what you decide to make of it.
My Previous TripsWDW Grand Floridian Club Level Sept. 97, WDW Grand Floridain Club Level Sept 98, WDW Grand Floridian Club Level June 99, WDW off site Feb 03, WDW Port Orleans March 09, WDW Yacht Club Sept 2011, Yacht Club Sept. 2013
ParkieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

I am dying right now! We are planning on driving 20 hours (WITHOUT STOPS) from Iowa to Flordia next year. Yes. 20 hours, with three kids. Should be fun. I have a feeling myself and DH won't be speaking too much on the drive either. I'm hoping to drive through the night while he sleeps.

Suzanne

My Previous Trips2010 All Star Movies 2003 All Star Sports 2000 All Star Sports 1999 All Star Sports 1995 Port Orleans 1993 All Start Sports 1990 off property 1987 off property 1982 off property
suzq62982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #24 (permalink)

Yuck, I do not like long drives in the car. Prior to moving to Korea, we lived in Utah, just a little north of Salt Lake City and Las Vegas was about a 6-7 hour drive and that is long enough for me. I just get bored to tears on long drives and I find the longer I'm cooped up in the car with the hubby, he starts to get on my nerves. I can't read while we're traveling, it causes me to get motion sickness. And I've learned I can't even play or text on my phone for too long of a time, as that also causes me to get motion sickness. True, flying can be a hassle, but a couple of hours in the air (depending on exactly how far you are flying) beats a couple of days in the car IMO.

Celebrating Tokyo Disneyland's 30th Anniversary and DH's Birthday!
My Previous TripsWDW Summer 83, College Program 95, Off-site 96, Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea Aug 2007, May 2009, and June 2010, DL & CA May 2011, POFQ September 2011, Disneyland Hotel Dec 2011, Off-site DLR March 2012, Grand Californian May 2012, MiraCosta & Tokyo Disneyland Hotel December 2012, Tokyo Disneyland & DisneySea at Tokyo Bay Hilton May 2013, December 2013, and Spring Break/My Birthday April 2014
LizCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
Community Rank: Day-Tripper

Unhappy

The only part of long road trips or any road trip I hate is the return trip. Once we pack-up and hit the road we know the fun we were having is ending and it's back to the real world.
Kentucky Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #26 (permalink)

I hate driving! Unfortunately with the price of airline tickets, a 20+ hour drive may be in my future.

Kim

My Countdown Counting down to: My next trip!
My Previous TripsWDW Aug 2013 (Caribbean Beach Resort) - WDW Sept/Oct 2012 (Port Orleans - French Quarter) - WDW August 2011 (Yacht Club) - WDW Apr/May 2010 (Off-site) - WDW Aug/Sep 2009 (Wilderness Lodge) - WDW July 2008 (Beach Club) - WDW July 2003 (Beach Club) - WDW September 1995 (Beach Club)
kangelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #27 (permalink)

I enjoy long road trips. We've driven to Florida many times and love the freedom of when you leave you're house, you're actually on you way. The time spent with my family is also wonderful. We are so busy, it's the one of the only times my DH and I actually do have long conversations. I have to say, the trip home is not enjoyable.
My Previous TripsPOFQ-2004, POR/Poly-Nov 2007, POR 2008 POR 2012 Radisson Celebration 2012 AK-Kidani and Jambo 2013
patclairesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #28 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
I use the drive to get into my "Disney bubble". It allows me to slowly transition into my alternate reality. Get rid of all of real life and enter my happy place.
mawmaw to 3 beautiful granddaughters: 5, 3, 1 and #4 due in February
16 trips to WDW
My Countdown Counting down to: Finally back to Disney!!!
On our way!!!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1978, 1982, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1997, ASMu 1998, 2000, FW 2004, FW 2006, FW 2006, FW 2008, FW 2010, SoG 2011, CB 2012, POR 2013
mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

I like driving with dh. It is fun and we enjoy ourselves, but with the kids, that is another story. They get so restless so fast and it takes the fun out of the trip. We did a 20 day road trip last summer while waiting for our house to be ready to move into, and that was challenging with the kids.

But, I hate flying too. I really really do not like flying. It will be a loong flight from the West Coast to the East Coast and I can only tolerate 2 or 3 hrs up in the air at a time, but get really anxious after that.
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #30 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 2
I agree that if it was just dh and I it wouldn't be as bad. But our kids are very restless and don't like to ride a long time either and that makes it very stressful and difficult as well.
phoebec is offline   Reply With Quote