anyone else hate long road trips? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Getting There (and Back!): Your Journey to Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Quicksilver Tours & Transportation
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 2
anyone else hate long road trips?

I do. I mean I hate them a lot. I dread them. Problem is, my husband refuses to fly. So we have a problem. We are planning on Disney next June and he refuses to fly and I dread driving to the point it sucks the enjoyment out of the trip (not totally, but it really is dreadful for me). The trip is 16 hours to drive. That does not include stops. We break it up, but it is still awful. We can't afford to do both (him drive and me and the kids fly). So, it is basically drive or don't go to Disney. Sorry for lamenting, I know there are worse problems to have
phoebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

sorry to hear that, I for one love to drive, have drove from N.Y to fla, N.Y to south dakota, and when my parents lived in S.C we would drive straight through also,, I love driving on long road trips.
fourdrawfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 1
I like road trips with most people , but DH...not so much. I love the man , but he takes the trip as a challenge. He wants to get there and it is serious business. He doesn't like to stop or entertain distractions. The last couple of trips were not as bad because we drove through the night so the kids and I napped through most of it. He is a truck driver so he can drive and drive and drive and be fine. Just riding is mind numbing...So yes , I would rather fly also. 2 hours from Metro Detroit to Orlando ..no sweat.

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW- August 1993,Feb 2000, Jan 2002,Feb 2003, Jan 2005, JAN 2007 and and Jan 2009, August 2011.
guitardiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Navigator

Concierge Level: 5
We just came from a long road trip to Orlando for our nephews wedding and I can tell you "I Do Not Like" long road trips. When we were younger with young kids it was okay. Now we can afford to fly, so we fly. This trip was planned with our whole family, some who cannot afford to fly, we rented a big van so everyone can be at the wedding. We are going back to WDW in October for our vacation and we are flying!!!!

My Countdown Counting down to: A WONDERFUL FAMILY TRIP!!
27 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes
My Previous TripsNOVEMBER 1994-LARSON'S LODGE/NOVEMBER 1996-LARSON'S LODGE/JULY 1998-LARSON'S LODGE/ OCTOBER 2008 -POP CENTURY/ 2010- POP CENTURY/ SEPTEMBER 2012-POP CENTURY/OCTOBER 2013-POP CENTURY
Roxie2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 5
Me. I hate long road trips.

We just did the 8 hour drive to and from Disney and I was tired of it by hour 4. thank goodness I had my Ipod and kindle fire handy for when I wasn't driving.

And I decided I'm flying on my next solo trip in September. I found a decent sale so I booked it. I don't want to do that drive again this year.

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips6 Trips Offsite, Jun05 ASMo, July 07 RPR for SW and US, Sept08 CR, Nov08 Pop, Mar09 CSR,Apr09 CBR, May09 POR Solo Trip, Jun09 WL, May10 POFQ and HRH, Dec10 BWI Solo Trip, Feb11 WL, May11 AKL Solo, Sep11 POFQ Solo Trip, May12 POR solo, Jun13 ASMu, May14 AoA and AKL, Disneyland Jun11
ShellingConnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 3
If we lived a lot closer to Disney than we do (say only a few hours) it probably would be doable but living in MA, I don't like it anymore (even with the Auto Train). The first year with Lenny, it was fine but the more we drove, the more we ended up arguing on the drive. I don't like admitting that (and I probably "glossed" over it in my TR's) but it's the truth. If we're not yelling at each other (usually I'm yelling at him to shut and and calm down because Abby starts to get upset), we're driving in complete silence and any kind of comment by me - even a simple one like our exit is coming up - can start it all over again. Now that I've gone back in time and relived that in my mind (it was just as unpleasant now as it was then) I still say I hate the long road trips and maybe short ones wouldn't work either.

Celebrating Lenny's birthday at Epcot August 2014

Looking for all of my previous reports? Click my TR link.

I've Started it!! Our FROZEN filled TR UPDATED 9/01 POSTS 147 & 148

My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music
CinderAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

I am always impressed with families that do drive to Disney! But my boys would KILL ME if I even suggested about driving to Disney when they were younger! I guess I am just spoiled... flying is the only way for me to go to Disney!

I don't mind driving but if it is longer than 5 hours then I might have a problem with it. Hats off to you all that drive way longer than 5 hours!

I know I would be B-O-R-E-D out of my mind, of course if someone else did the driving! I hope you find something to keep you going! : )

There's no turning back now! (with an evil laugh)
Kate in PA
My Countdown Counting down to: Big Number Birthday- May 2015
259 days, 23 hours, 30 minutes
My Previous Trips1994 Dixie Landings, 1998 All Star Music, 2000 All Star Movies, 2002 Contemporary, 2003 Caribbean Beach, 2004 Outside WDW, 2005 Caribbean Beach, 2006 All Star Sports, 2007 Coronado Springs, 2008 Beach Club, 2012 Wilderness Lodge, and 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Caribbean Beach Resort!
lovewdw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

I'm always a passenger as I've never gotten a license. Having said that, I do & don't like long road trips. I like them if the getting to & from home & the destination is made in to part of the trip by stopping to along the way to do & see things. However, if it's just the way to get to the destination then no I don't like them.

My Previous TripsDL not sure probably 20+ DW ASMu December 07-17, 2007 ASMu January 26-February 03, 2009 POR February 01-09, 2010
revral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Me, too! I am particular (fussy) about things, and long rides in the car can be tough to handle. I'm not a big fan of long rides in winter months...definitely.no.
mouseketeer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

I Love road trips. My ex hated them, and our trips were silent on the way to our destination and silent on the way back. Really! We would not talk on the road unless it was "stop I need to go" or "stop I am hungry". When Charlie came along, and got a little older, I at least had someone to converse with.

Rachel loves to travel as much as I do, and the trips that we did take on our own, we were non-stop chatter. When we went to WDW last June, the tension was a bit high; but that was because Charlie re-entered our lives and we seemed to be walking on eggshells. On our way back, the mood was different, and everyone was laughing and talking about the trip...and how JG (DS 5 at the time) grew a moustache. That is what happens when you are the first person to fall asleep!!!!!!!!!!!

My Countdown Counting down to: One Direction concert in San Antonio...With a car load of Teen Girls....someone save me please
18 days, 5 hours, 30 minutes
My Previous TripsPOFQ...2007, Allstar Movie Resort ....2012
Charlie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
I love road trips and hate to fly. I like being in control of my schedule. I can leave when I want, change plans easily. Pack as much as I want. Stop when I want. Slow down, speed up (within reason). Find a place to eat that doesn't cost a fortune. See so many things. My kids are all great travelers though. The times we have flown, I have been super stressed, grumpy, and nauseated. I hated spending $90 for sandwiches at the airport. I hated the long layover or rushing to the next gate because the plane arrived late. When I am on vacation, I don't like a schedule.

My favorite drives have been when we can stop along the way and not go straight to our destination but either way is better than flying as far as I am concerned.
mawmaw to 3 beautiful granddaughters: 5, 3, 1 and #4 due in February
16 trips to WDW
My Countdown Counting down to: Finally back to Disney!!!
On our way!!!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1978, 1982, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1997, ASMu 1998, 2000, FW 2004, FW 2006, FW 2006, FW 2008, FW 2010, SoG 2011, CB 2012, POR 2013
mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

My kids could go a maximum of 4-5 hours on a car trip when they were young so we fly a lot. I cannot do much more than that now. I find driving tiring and boring.

We save money at the airport by bringing sandwiches from home or sharing something. I always get a rental cr, no matter where we are.

I think I'd like driving more if we had an RV (although I hate paying for gas) so I would move around. I get too stiff in the car.

Charlie
Huntermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

Aww I am sorry to hear that..
We are driving to Disney but its only 6.5 hours.. Which is horrible enough to me. but we leave super early. try to avoid traffic. Hubby does most of the driving.
I try to rest. LOL.
But I do hate driving. 6 hours is my limit. but of course then I would fly.
My mother has never flown and never will....But then again. they miss out on a lot of good trips too.

I hope it \all works out for ya!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Lady427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 2
As a family of 5, it's either drive (from NH, mind you!!) or don't go. Plane tix are just TOO expensive (we'd spend almost as much to GET there, as on the week at WDW itself!! ).

That said, I don't love road trips. Not ones that long. And not ones that are just for the purpose of getting somewhere. If I had all the time and money in the world, I'd love to hop in a car and make a trip out of the traveling, stopping at various points here and there.

We are actually considering if we are willing to make the drive next year for our hoped-for trip. It's that much of a drag that it may put us off going at all! Ugh....

~ There's nothing like a little Rope Drop music to start your day! ~

My Countdown Counting down to: Girls escape weekend!!
Pina Colavas by the pool, baby!!!!
My Previous TripsWDW: 1987 off-site, 1996 Ft. Wilderness, 2004 ASMovies, 2006 POR, 2008 POR, 2010 POFQ, 2011 AKL/ASMu, 2012 - 2 day trips
LegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

We love road trips. It's our preferred method of travel. And it's much cheaper (even with gas being expensive).

We have driven to WDW 3 times now, and it's about a 19 hour drive. We've gone to CT, MN, MO, WI, SD .... all by car.

Our kids are actually really good about trips. They bring along some sort of electronic (DS game system or ipod) and we'll have a cooler of drinks and plenty of snacks.

We enjoy actually seeing things along the way. Even if we don't stop to see things - the scenery is still different when you are on the road.

Our Disney Vacation Trip Report - September 2012
My Previous TripsWDW (Offsite) Nov 1991, WDW (All Star Movies) Sept 2006, WDW (Pop Century) Sept 2008, WDW (Pop Century) Sept 2010, WDW (Caribbean Beach) Sept 2012, WDW (Pop Century) Dec 2013
DisneyMamaSarah is offline   Reply With Quote