Costa Rica - suggestions? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

FREE Shipping & 50% Off E-Books!
FREE MediaMail Shipping on domestic orders in the PassPorter Store until midnight, April 21, 2014. This is a great time to order a new 2014 edition of PassPorter's Walt Disney World guidebook!

You can also save 50% off any of our 15 e-books with code easter!

Details at http://www.passporterstore.com/store/images/freeshipping.jpg

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Universe: General Trip Planning and Discussion > Globetrotting: General Travel Planning
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: CruisingCo.com
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Costa Rica - suggestions?

DH and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica in early Sept next year. We'll be there for a week. Any suggestions for things to see/places not to miss would be great!! I want to spend at least half the time at a beach resort type place. Any ideas? Which has nicer beaches/scenery - the Pacific side or the Caribbean side? Thanks for any and all suggestions!

My new USMNT jersey! I am ready for Brazil!!!

My Countdown Counting down to: WE ARE GOING TO BRAZIL!!!! (to root on the USMNT in the World Cup!!!)
51 days, 21 hours, 52 minutes
My Previous TripsVarious day trips WDW 1990-99; DL 1995; GF WDW Jan. 1997; POFQ WDW May 1999; AKL WDW Jan. 2002 (during which I became engaged at Disney Boardwalk); WDW most Fridays 2002; MNSSHalloween WDW 2002; ASMovies & all parks WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2006; CB WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2007; POFQ WDW May 2008; POR WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2008; WL WDW May/June 2009; POP WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2009; ASMu WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2010; CSR WDW January 2011; DLR (Park Vue Inn) June 2011; ASMo WDW & MNSSHP Oct 2011; CBR WDW January 2012; DL Paris - Davy Crockett Ranch May 2012; Art of Animation & AS Sports, MNSSHP Sept 2012; CSR & MVMCP Nov/Dec 2012; Pop MK May 2013; ASMO MNSSHP Oct 2013
Ashli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Concierge Level: 5
My family and I went for 2 weeks in the summers of 2009 and 2010. We love Costa Rica! The first time we went with my DH's cousin and his wife who is originally from there and we did a lot of touring around the Country. Since she is from there, and fluent in Spanish, we had no problems. I don't recommend doing this unless you are fluent in Spanish. Once you get out of the more tourist areas there is not a lot of English spoken. The second summer just my family went and we chose instead to rent a house on Guanacaste in Playa Hermosa and loved it! We were right on the beach! We went scuba diving, zip lining, and visited 2 active volcanos. Our daughter took a surfing lesson in Tamarindo and loved it. There is so much to see and do there. You will love it!! My only suggestion is that if you think you will be spending a lot of time on Guanacaste (my favorite) be sure to fly into Liberia rather than San Jose as it can be quite challenging to drive there and expensive. Just let me know if you would like any other information.
Amy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Thanks for all of the info, Amy! I looked on a map and saw that Guanacaste is on the Pacific side. Have you ever been to the Caribbean side? Are the beaches different? I just ask because I much MUCH prefer the Gulf beaches in the US to the Pacific beaches. I wonder if it is a similar difference in Costa Rica. Thanks for the tip about Spanish. DH does not speak it fluently, but he knows quite a bit having spent some time in Venezuela and also taking Spanish all through school. I may grab the Spanish Rosetta Stone so he can brush up before our trip. I appreciate all of your tips!

My new USMNT jersey! I am ready for Brazil!!!

My Countdown Counting down to: WE ARE GOING TO BRAZIL!!!! (to root on the USMNT in the World Cup!!!)
51 days, 21 hours, 52 minutes
My Previous TripsVarious day trips WDW 1990-99; DL 1995; GF WDW Jan. 1997; POFQ WDW May 1999; AKL WDW Jan. 2002 (during which I became engaged at Disney Boardwalk); WDW most Fridays 2002; MNSSHalloween WDW 2002; ASMovies & all parks WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2006; CB WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2007; POFQ WDW May 2008; POR WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2008; WL WDW May/June 2009; POP WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2009; ASMu WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2010; CSR WDW January 2011; DLR (Park Vue Inn) June 2011; ASMo WDW & MNSSHP Oct 2011; CBR WDW January 2012; DL Paris - Davy Crockett Ranch May 2012; Art of Animation & AS Sports, MNSSHP Sept 2012; CSR & MVMCP Nov/Dec 2012; Pop MK May 2013; ASMO MNSSHP Oct 2013
Ashli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Concierge Level: 5
You are welcome! I love to talk about Costa Rica! We have not been to the Caribbean side. DH's cousin's wife who is from there said the Pacific side was definitely where we wanted to be. I think there are sections on the Caribbean side that aren't as safe or easy to get around as the Pacific side. I recommend doing some research on that. There are a lot of roads in that beautiful country that are downright frightening!!! Trust me, if you rent a car make it a 4 wheel drive one. From what I experienced, the Pacific side was: safe, roads were good, BEAUTIFUL beaches, tons to do and experience, nice places to stay, and great places to eat. The hardest part for me was realizing that their hotels are not like ours. My children are still on the young side, so nice, modern hotels are what we prefer. So that is why the following summer we rented a house, which was beautiful, and toured from there.
Amy L is offline   Reply With Quote