Colonial Williamsburg in April - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Universe: General Trip Planning and Discussion > Globetrotting: General Travel Planning
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: CruisingCo.com
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Colonial Williamsburg in April

We have decided to drive to cw for the kids April break. Any suggestions? We are dvc so we will be exchanging any suggestions on rci resorts?
1989+1993 Carribbean Beach,1996 ASS+Dixie Landings,1998 DL,2000 CB Hurricaine Floyd!!,2001 DL,2003 CS,2004 WL,2005 POR,2006 seven night eastern carb. disney cruise!!!,2006 Halloween Liki Tiki,May 2007 off site Orange Lake,May 2007 AKL,Sept 2007 CS,Oct 2008 Halloween ASM,May 2009 PC+ a seven night eastern carb. cruise,Feb 2010 GCV,BCV + BLT Sept 2011; OKW 8/12;Kindani 9/13: POR 3/13; Jambo Club Level & SS 6/14
disneydeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

We spent Easter break a few years ago in Williamsburg. We really enjoyed it. We also did Jamestown and Busch Gardens for a day. I think we sent 1 and 1/2 day doing Williamsburg, a 1/2 day at Jamestown and 1 day doing Busch Gardens. Definitly sign up for one of the tours. I would suggest an evening tour, they have several different ones. The food in the taverns in Colonial Williamsburg as not that great. I think you and your family will enjoy your trip.
My Previous TripsPOFQ-2004, POR/Poly-Nov 2007, POR 2008 POR 2012 Radisson Celebration 2012 AK-Kidani and Jambo 2013
patclairesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

While everyone heads to Jamestown, don't overlook the Yorktown Victory Center. This was actually more fun for us. Kids enjoy helping fire the cannon.

The Wmsburg taverns are way overpriced. In the colonial area, the restaurants in Merchants Square are preferable.

My Countdown Counting down to: Carving Jack-O-Lanterns
Making a Malificent Jack-O-Lantern
My Previous Trips9 trips to WDW, 2 trips to DLR, 4 Disney Cruises, and 1 trip to Aulani
Lumieregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Great tips thanks so much. I was also told that it was a 2 hours trip to DC. Anyone have experience with this????
1989+1993 Carribbean Beach,1996 ASS+Dixie Landings,1998 DL,2000 CB Hurricaine Floyd!!,2001 DL,2003 CS,2004 WL,2005 POR,2006 seven night eastern carb. disney cruise!!!,2006 Halloween Liki Tiki,May 2007 off site Orange Lake,May 2007 AKL,Sept 2007 CS,Oct 2008 Halloween ASM,May 2009 PC+ a seven night eastern carb. cruise,Feb 2010 GCV,BCV + BLT Sept 2011; OKW 8/12;Kindani 9/13: POR 3/13; Jambo Club Level & SS 6/14
Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

I live in VA, and my husband and I visit Williamsburg at least two or three times a year. You can park at Colonial Williamsburg Visitor's Center, buy tickets (kind of pricey option) for what you want to do, and then take free shuttle to those locations: Yorktown, Jamestown Settlement (in addition to a few shows, there are recreated fort, indian village, and ships--one of which you can climb aboard and tour), and Historic Jamestowne (which has a museum filled with the artifacts that have been found). My fav is Historic Jamestowne because it's just so cool to walk around where the actual fort was--depending on time of year, they often have archaeologists and students excavating on- site. Of the two Jamestown(e)s, Jamestown Settlement is a bit more kid-friendly. However, it depends on your children's ages, interests, and temperaments. I also believe the fort at Jamestown Settlement has armour you can put on for photo ops.

Here is a link to various price options. The first time we went, we had an annual national park pass (think it costs $80 now--it was cheaper then) that let us into national parks which included Yorktown and Historic Jamestowne. It included entire family with the one pass--Williamsburg and probably Settlement are not included. There are tons of options.

There are ghost tours that meet in Historic Williamsburg near the Barnes and Noble. (It's a good practice to check for Groupons for dates you plan to go.)

You can walk around Historic Williamsburg for free and go inside shops and eateries for free--any touring of other buildings, you'll need pass. My husband and I have done it both ways. Be aware not every building is available every day. I was disappointed that the Capitol building wasn't open when we went. Several years later, we paid for passes and it was open. I got yelled at for chewing gum while outside, waiting for our tour! I had to walk up front and throw it away like I was a child. Being a teacher, I did what any of my students would have done. I walked back to my seat and popped in another one. People around me were grinning.

Anyway, they often have people recreating things out in open. We've seen red coats marching down the streets, cannon fire near the battery, and there are carriage rides, I believe. Great photo ops everywhere. Farm animals (sheep and such things) are out and about (fenced in, of course).

Busch Gardens is great option for kids, too.

If you like shopping, the Williamsburg Pottery has renovated its shops. I miss the ratty old ones, but the renovation is very nice now--just less available. It's not just pottery, btw. It's on Richmond Road going toward Lightfoot. If you love Christmas, Christmas Mouse is two stories of Christmas 12 mos a year. There is a small Ripley's on Richmond Rd also. If you like Chinese, there is a huge buffet near the K-mart on Bypass Rd.

As for RCI, there is a Great Wolf Lodge (has indoor water park), but I don't know if it is part of your RCI.

Last edited by sheldoal; 01-07-2013 at 08:25 AM..
sheldoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

I live in Virginia Beach so Williamsburg is about a 45 min-1 hour drive from me. I would definitely suggest going to Busch Gardens and Water Country USA if you can squeeze them in. Also there is a great bbq place called pierce's that i always try to hit when i'm up there. They also have the outlets up there for great shopping. I would say D.C. is more of a 3-3/12 hour drive from Williamsburg due to traffic. D.C. traffic can be a nightmare sometimes.

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW 14 times, Last trip June 2012, Many stays at OKW, 1 time at CBR, 2 DLR trips last being June 29th-July 5th 2014!
sunshinetaradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Love all the tips!! Thankyou! What do you all think about driving to say fredericks and taking the train into dc as an option?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

you could do that or you could catch amtrack from williamsburg....there is a station in Williamsburg

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW 14 times, Last trip June 2012, Many stays at OKW, 1 time at CBR, 2 DLR trips last being June 29th-July 5th 2014!
sunshinetaradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

I endorse The Great Wolf Lodge -- if it is a good value for you - we have stayed there several times while visiting Williamsburg. It seems like we always run into someone we know there!
-- This is well observed, here at PassPorter!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW June 1979 (offsite), WDW July, 2005 (POR), July 2008 -- Poly and the Wonder
emtpej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

our home resort is in Williamsburg, Kings Creek Plantation, we really enjoy staying there, there is also Historic Powhatan Resort, which I have never been to, but my aunt has a timeshare there and loves it. Been to Williamsburg many many times and love Historic Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown. There is so much to do. I would check out history.org for all the historic information. We love Busch Gardens a very clean and nice park. One place my family loves to eat is Pierce's BBQ. If you have any questions or anything feel free to pm me! Hope you have a fantastic trip!

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW July 1998, WDW Feb 2009, WDW Aug 2009, WDW Feb 2010, WDW Jan 2012
jiwdurando is offline   Reply With Quote