Thoughts on the "Saints" in the Southern Caribbean? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Universe: General Trip Planning and Discussion > Globetrotting: General Travel Planning
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: CruisingCo.com
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 1
Thoughts on the "Saints" in the Southern Caribbean?

Hi there. We will very soon be cruising through the southern Caribbean and I'd be happy to hear any thoughts/advice you have about the Sts..St Thomas, St Kitts, St Maarten, St Lucia, and we are also going to Barbados.
We are on the Carnival Valor and we've picked a Segway tour of old San Juan before we embark and have narrowed down to a likely catamaran with sea turtles in Barbados and a speed boat/snorkle trip in St Marten but we will have free time at every island and are planning to just "wing it" and explore. We have 10 in our group with ages ranging from 11 to 72.
Please share your favourite spots, tours, beaches and also any that you might suggest we skip and WHY if you can. I have found over the years that I get much better advice from the people who have been somewhere than I do from a guidebook. (exception being the passporter, but there isn't one for everywhere else in the world!)
Thanks for your thoughts; wish I could send you a penny, but thanks will have to do!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsPop and CBR Nov, 2014, FW camping and Pop, then Royal Pacific at Universal, March 2012, POR Surprise trip Jan 2011, Pop (adults only) May 2010, POFQ Oct 09, Pop Sept 08, Pop Jan 08, FW Cabins Feb 07. 3 one-day trips from Daytona as a child
Suzie-Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
I just wanted to say that we did the Segway tour of old San Juan as part of our Disney cruise and if it's the same one we did, we absolutely loved it. I can't help on any of your stops though, as we haven't been to any of them.

Enjoying time with my donkey boy on our holiday visit to Disneyland Paris. The trip report for our Italy road trip also continues.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.
My Countdown Counting down to: Our weekend away in Longleat
4 days, 10 hours, 3 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 8 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Make sure you visit Maho Beach in St Martin to see the planes landing right over your head. FYI - Orient Beach in St Martin is a nude beach. I'm cruising this September and was hoping to go in that area (southern Car., not the nude beach LOL!), but no go. Hopefully next time!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
with Bailey & Jacky
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
YES, the beach by the airport on St. Martin is on our MUST DO list for our cruise in May So cool!

Author of the e-book PassPorter's Disneyland Paris

My Countdown Counting down to: 7-night Med cruise on the Disney Magic!!!
270 days, 13 hours, 33 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW: 04/2007 (ASMo), 04/2008 (AS, POR, WL), 05/2009 (BCV, AKV - Opening Day!!!, SSR), 03/2010 (BWV, GF Concierge!!!, BLT), 05/2013 (POFQ, POP); DCL: 04/2008 (Wonder, Bahamas), 04/2009 (Magic, Western Caribbean), 08/2010 (Magic in Europe!), 05/2013 (Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean); DVC Vero Beach: 04/2008, 04/2009; DVC Hilton Head Island: 05/2013; DL California: 09/2005; DLP: 03/1996 (Sequoia Lodge), 09/1996, 03/1997, 06/2002 (Hotel Santa Fe), 09/2007 (Hotel Santa Fe), 12/2008 (Sequoia Lodge), 03/2013 (Hotel New York); Tokyo DL: 04/1998 /// Non-Disney trips: Austria, Bahamas, Belgium, Denmark (Copenhagen), Finland (Helsinki), France (Paris, Côte d'Azur), Germany (Berlin, Munich), Grand Cayman, Great Britain (London, Gibraltar), Italy (Venice, Florence, Pisa), Japan (Tokyo), Lichtenstein, Luxemburg, Mexico, Monaco (Monte Carlo), Morocco (Marrakesh), Netherlands (Amsterdam), Norway (Oslo, Bergen, North Cape), Portugal (Lisbon), Spain (Barcelona, Mallorca), Sweden (Stockholm), Switzerland (CERN, Zurich), Tunisia, Turkey, USA
Disneybine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't know how much time you have in St. Kitts, but the island of Nevis is a short ferry ride away and I can't say enough good things about Nevis. I won a trip there from work 10 years ago and I've been dying to get back there. It's so peaceful and beautiful.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

My Countdown Counting down to: We're going to Disney!!!
We're off....see ya real soon
My Previous TripsCarribean Beach 1996, AllStar Sports 1998, AllStar Movies 2000, AllStar Sports 2002, Pop Century 2006, AllStar Movies 2011
Shawnam1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for the tips!; I forgot I posted the question and I was so happy to find it and to find such good answers!
I am going to check our excursion details and see if we go to Maho beach in St Martin - I know we stop at a couple. I'll tell the gang about Nevis too - that might be doable.
Getting close now, I can't wait! I will try to do a TR about it in the globetrotting forum when we get back and share what I have learned
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsPop and CBR Nov, 2014, FW camping and Pop, then Royal Pacific at Universal, March 2012, POR Surprise trip Jan 2011, Pop (adults only) May 2010, POFQ Oct 09, Pop Sept 08, Pop Jan 08, FW Cabins Feb 07. 3 one-day trips from Daytona as a child
Old 02-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm looking at booking a cruise in either Eastern or Southern Caribbean so I would look forward to reading your TR !
I notice you are also from Ontario can you tell me about flying into San Juan. Airline, direct or not etc .

Reunion with Snowbirds 2012
http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...snowbirds.html
My Countdown Counting down to: September 2009 Western Caribbean Cruise
We're off to our Magical 1st cruise
My Previous Tripswdw April 2005 POFQ, April 2007 Pop Century, September 2008 CBR, Feb 2010 AKL, CSR Dec 2012
rlb38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes, part of our group is coming from Ottawa, actually...we are flying out of Montreal after watching flights from Syracuse, Ottawa, Toronto too. Had a bit of sticker shock when I saw how expensive it was to fly there versus to Florida so we watched for months and were able to grab the flights when they came up. We are on American Airlines with one stop at JFK in New York both there and back.
Usually to Florida, we have found the best prices are from Syracuse on JetBlue but not this time. We have booked a night at the Embassey Suites with a complementary park and fly which costs about the same as airport parking would but has the bonus of free breakfast and extends our holidays by one more night
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

We've flown JetBlue to WDW a few times as well. I often see cruises where I like the ports but they often start from San Juan. A quick look and I didn't find much from Ottawa or Toronto at the times I was looking at.
Enjoy your cruise

Reunion with Snowbirds 2012
http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...snowbirds.html
My Countdown Counting down to: September 2009 Western Caribbean Cruise
We're off to our Magical 1st cruise
My Previous Tripswdw April 2005 POFQ, April 2007 Pop Century, September 2008 CBR, Feb 2010 AKL, CSR Dec 2012
rlb38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 7
We loved spending the day at Magen's Bay when we were in St. Thomas. It was a great relaxing place. Free, too!!
On the way to the beach, there is a great little shack that sells alcoholic shakes! They can make them without the booze, too. It's called Udder Delight. We stopped on our way back to our resort, and the kids slept like angels all night! (we didn't realize there was booze in the shakes until after we'd gotten them)
Old 02-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
We loved spending the day at Magen's Bay when we were in St. Thomas. It was a great relaxing place. Free, too!!
On the way to the beach, there is a great little shack that sells alcoholic shakes! They can make them without the booze, too. It's called Udder Delight. We stopped on our way back to our resort, and the kids slept like angels all night! (we didn't realize there was booze in the shakes until after we'd gotten them)
I love that! Ya sure, you "didn't know"! I am a mom too....I get it
Thanks for the tip - most of us are old enough to endulge, so that sounds like a fun little pit stop!
My PassPorter Bookshelf