Come Cruisin' Along With Me! - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Universe: General Trip Planning and Discussion > Globetrotting: General Trip Reports
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Navigator

Come Cruisin' Along With Me!

Hi everyone!

With three measly weeks to go, I am starting a PTR for my upcoming cruise! I am SUPER excited about this, and as you read, you'll see why!

First let me start with the "cast"...

Melanie (me) - 36 (for another seven weeks) - Single mom of a crazy little girl named Meri, Disney addict, travel addict, works a second job to fund said addictions, volunteers at church and school, positively exhausted! LOL!

Toni - 42 - Very good friend of mine who lives in Northern VA. Works for a house painting company. Loves to dance, socialize, and is VERY extroverted.

Some Background

About three years ago, Toni worked for this same house painting company. They send their employees on yearly cruises each December, if the company-wide goal is met... and the sales reps that qualify can bring a friend / spouse. Toni is the company administrative assistant, so she gets her ticket paid for, but anyone else that goes with her has to pay for themselves. She is single, so she asked me if I'd like to go, and I said absolutely! It's quite a good rate and, of course, I never turn down a vacation opportunity! We were in planning mode, when unfortunately, early that fall, times got a little tight for the company and they had to let Toni go. So, of course, our cruise was canceled!

Flash forward to this spring. With business booming, they rehired Toni, and by summer, they had extended the offer for her to again go on the cruise! Yet again, she graciously extended the invitation to me, and I leaped at the chance to have a few kid-free days in the sun!

What the company does is, they offer an inside cabin (the least expensive level) to all employees for free... and if the employee wants to upgrade to an outside or balcony, they pay the difference themselves. After much discussion, Toni and I agreed to just stick with our inside cabin and save our money. I still had to pay for my airfare, after all, and turn in my cruise payment for the inside cabin.

Up next... Wait, they're doing WHAT?!
Come read my recent trip reports: TransAtlantic on the Disney Magic: http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...t-live-tr.html and Meri's Dream Cruise: http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...ml#post4268752
http://www.passporterboards.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic13079_16.gif
My Countdown Counting down to: Having a Wonder-Full Cruise Vacation!
296 days, 4 hours, 37 minutes
My Previous Trips* Feb 2015 - Disney Wonder Caribbean Cruise * Feb 2014 - CBR / Disney Dream Bahamas Cruise * June 2013 - Disneyland Paris * May 2013 - Disney Magic Transatlantic Cruise * Oct 2012 - Disneyland * Sept 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room) * Feb 2012 - Boardwalk Villas / Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) * Oct 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside / Bonnet Creek * Feb 2011 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Pirate Room) / Animal Kingdom Lodge * Nov 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter * Feb 2009 - Coronado Springs * Feb 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside * Sept 2006 - Boardwalk Inn * Prior to 2006 - Too many visits to count...

Last edited by Principessa_di_Fata; 11-08-2012 at 03:10 PM..
Principessa_di_Fata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Sounds like so much fun! Can not wait to read more!

LLGMOMMY2 (jess)
llgmommy2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Concierge Level: 7
Oh goodie! Another TR!

Check out the latest ~ Getting Wild Disney Style PTR updated 4/15

Rain, Sunshine & Cupcakes ~ June 24 - July 3, Magical Memories & Total Insanity TR
My Countdown Counting down to: Returning to our happy place!
46 days, 14 hours, 47 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsMay 2006 - WDW / offsite; May 2008 - WDW, SW, US, IOA / offsite; May 2011 - WDW / off-site; June 2012 - WDW / POR
MayraLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
How great to see you starting another trip report!

In front of the Eiffel Tower during our weekend away in Paris.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.

My Countdown Counting down to: Boating around the Norfolk Boards
1 days, 19 hours, 7 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 5 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy. Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Can't wait to find out more details.

Reunion with Snowbirds 2012
http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...snowbirds.html
My Countdown Counting down to: September 2009 Western Caribbean Cruise
We're off to our Magical 1st cruise
My Previous Tripswdw April 2005 POFQ, April 2007 Pop Century, September 2008 CBR, Feb 2010 AKL, CSR Dec 2012
rlb38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 6
Great Start!!!
31 days, 11 hours, 37 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW June 1979, WDW 1985, WDW 1987, WDW Oct 2003, WDW March 2004, WDW Oct 2004, WDW Sept 2005--Pop Century , WDW Nov 2006--Pop Century, WDW Jan 2007--Pop Century, WDW Nov/Dec 2009--Pop Century, DLR Oct 2011
KMB733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Concierge Level: 1
Hey, Mel! Signing in - and a little bit jealous! Would love to cruise! Great start!

My Countdown Counting down to: Oct 25, 2014 - Land and Sea!!!
191 days, 17 hours, 37 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW April 2010 CSR (1st trip ever), WDW Nov 2010 AKL (honeymoon after 14 years of marriage), WDW Nov 2011 (1st DVC trip) BLT, WDW Sept 2012 OKW, 2013 Christmas time split stay - SS/OKW
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
You hadn't posted in a while and I was getting worried that maybe you had to cancel this trip. Glad to see that's not the case and excited to read along and get all excited for you!

YODA, IS THAT YOU? Read my Solo-on-a-Scooter WDW TR to find out.
My Previous TripsMost recent WDW trip 2/14; Most recent DLR trip 7/12; Most recent DCL trip 7/12 Alaska Wonder
lauriep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llgmommy2 View Post
Sounds like so much fun! Can not wait to read more!
I'm very excited about this trip! It's going to be so relaxing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayraLR View Post
Oh goodie! Another TR!
Welcome aboard, thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezp View Post
How great to see you starting another trip report!
Thanks! I'm excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb38 View Post
Can't wait to find out more details.
There are some pretty awesome details coming up in the next installment, I have to say! I was absolutely shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMB733 View Post
Great Start!!!
Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Hey, Mel! Signing in - and a little bit jealous! Would love to cruise! Great start!
Hey Coop! Cruising is awesome - I highly recommend it. I'm so very much looking forward to this one! And to sharing it with you all!
Come read my recent trip reports: TransAtlantic on the Disney Magic: http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...t-live-tr.html and Meri's Dream Cruise: http://www.passporterboards.com/foru...ml#post4268752
My Previous Trips* Feb 2015 - Disney Wonder Caribbean Cruise * Feb 2014 - CBR / Disney Dream Bahamas Cruise * June 2013 - Disneyland Paris * May 2013 - Disney Magic Transatlantic Cruise * Oct 2012 - Disneyland * Sept 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room) * Feb 2012 - Boardwalk Villas / Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) * Oct 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside / Bonnet Creek * Feb 2011 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Pirate Room) / Animal Kingdom Lodge * Nov 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter * Feb 2009 - Coronado Springs * Feb 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside * Sept 2006 - Boardwalk Inn * Prior to 2006 - Too many visits to count...
Old 11-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
RED SOX NATION!!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 7
Great start!

Marnie - PassPorter Co-Guide THE FAMILY ROOM , DISNEY WORLD TRIP REPORTS and GLOBETROTTING TRIP REPORTS

The Disneyland, San Diego, and Vegas oh my! Trip Report

The Trip of a Lifetime - Alaska Land and Sea - Trip Report

Non-Creative Title Spring Break Adventures Trip Report

A Whirlwind Trip to Arizona/Utah and the National Parks - UPDATED 9/27!

My Countdown Counting down to: Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands
Hiking around the National Parks
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsAPR '12 - POFQ, JUL '10 - DL, AUG '09 - DCL Western, AUG '08 - POFQ/BC, AUG '06 - AKL/BC/DisneyWonder/Poly, DEC '05 - AKL, APR '05 - AKL/BC, DEC '04 - AKL, MAY '04 - AKL/BC, MAY '03 - WL/BC, MAY '98 -offsite, MAY '94 - BC, AUG '85 - Poly, AUG '83 - Poly, AUG '81 - Poly, JUL '79 - World Inn, JUL '76 - World Inn
Colexis Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colexis Mom View Post
Great start!
Thank you!!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Hmm, maybe I should've checked on PP first before I asked you an hour ago if you had already gone on your cruise!

Follow along on my trip to Hawaii here!
My Countdown Counting down to: Hopefully My 2nd Ever WDW Trip!
My Previous TripsWDW Jan 2009 Offsite at HGVC then Beach Club; not listing DLR...I don't think I can count that high!
Dlandmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlandmom2 View Post
Hmm, maybe I should've checked on PP first before I asked you an hour ago if you had already gone on your cruise!
LOL Jeannie, I'm impressed that you remembered anything at all of what I told you! You've been so busy!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Wait, they're doing WHAT?!

So, after everything was settled, I was ready to write the check to Toni's company for my portion. We were just waiting to find out if they wanted the entire payment or just the deposit... and what amount exactly I should write for. Then Toni called me with some amazing news. She was beside herself as we spoke, and just kept saying, "I have the best news!" FINALLY I dragged it out of her... her company had offered to pay for MY cruise, too!!!

I could NOT believe it!!! Not just a nice, inexpensive cruise, but a FREE one! How incredibly generous!!

So, our adventure will begin on Wednesday, November 28! We will overnight at a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale, and we will board the ship on Thursday, November 29. We plan to arrive at the port as early as they will allow us to board, so we can drop our carry-on luggage in the room and go spend a few hours exploring the ship! This is always my favorite thing to do! Then, that afternoon is a sail-away party with her company. Friday is a day at sea (oh bliss), Saturday we are in Cozumel from 8am to 5pm, and Sunday is another day at sea. Then we dock on Monday morning, and fly home that day. It will be a really lovely, relaxing long weekend!

Up next: Another surprise!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Concierge Level: 1
WOW! That is awesome!!!!

My Countdown Counting down to: Oct 25, 2014 - Land and Sea!!!
191 days, 17 hours, 37 minutes
My Previous TripsWDW April 2010 CSR (1st trip ever), WDW Nov 2010 AKL (honeymoon after 14 years of marriage), WDW Nov 2011 (1st DVC trip) BLT, WDW Sept 2012 OKW, 2013 Christmas time split stay - SS/OKW
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote