Premier Annual Pass - Cost/Benefit Analysis - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Going Behind the Scenes: Trivia, News, and Rumors at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsored by Chip & Co.
Forum Sponsor: Chip & Co.
Recommends PassPorter!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

PassPorter's Club Passholder
What's this?

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
Premier Annual Pass - Cost/Benefit Analysis

After yesterday's announcement of Disney's new Premier Annual Pass, which is good at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland, it was time to do some number crunching and analysis. Basically, who will benefit, and under what circumstances?

First off, there's no significant benefit to having an annual pass that's good in both Florida and California unless you expect to visit parks on both coasts during the life of that pass. The only goody Disney has added over and above normal Premium Annual Pass benefits is a subscription to Disney Family Fun Magazine (one per household). Well, that, and whatever joy you may derive from flashing and/or talking about your ultra-cool pass.

Disney is automatically issuing this new pass to anyone who already owns both a Walt Disney World and Disneyland annual pass (nearly any variety). While this is cool for now, it makes us wonder what will happen at renewal time. Will a Premier Annual Passport holder be able to downgrade their renewal to a WDW- or Disneyland-only AP (such as the Florida or Southern California resident seasonal passes) and still get the renewal discount? Let's hope so!

There's also the normal risk of having an AP to a distant resort - it may start burning a hole in your pocket. You'll start looking for bargain airfares and lodging for either Anaheim, Orlando, or both, to squeeze one more visit's worth of value out of the pass. You'll keep your eyes peeled for new AP discounts for both WDW and Disneyland hotel stays. In short, you'll spend twice as much time scanning for Disney travel opportunities than you did before. For some, that's a hobby. For others, a curse.

Clearly, a pass like this can be a boon to a certain class of individuals - Disney-focused guidebook authors, bloggers, webmasters, podcasters, and travel agents; DVC and D23 members, Disneyana collectors (including hard-core pin traders)... If they already purchase Premium APs for both resorts, they're saving about $400 adults/$335 children under 10. But just how many of them are there? Of course, they'll now be conflicted over that many more possibilities; more passholder-only special events, more special deals, more, "I've really wanted to be there for Haunted Mansion Holiday (or Star Wars Weekends, Epcot Food and Wine Festival, the opening of World of Color, etc.)." Yes, temptation dances before their eyes, and since some of them will be saving significant amounts of money on admission, the temptation to reallocate the savings to more travel and in all likelihood, to go beyond that budget and spend more than we ever had before, just grows and grows. We can't, after all, credit Disney Parks and Resorts with charitable intent.

But what about the somewhat less frequent traveler, including the locals who live near either WDW or DLR? Will they be able to use this pass every year? Probably not. Before this pass became available, it made more sense to buy an AP at their "home" resort, and buy retail admission for their occasional WDW or DLR visit. Even at this relatively low price, for how many will this make sense? And if it does make sense every couple of years, how many will renew this most expensive pass?

Both Walt Disney World and Disneyland offer a variety of different Annual Pass options. Not surprisingly, only those who already own a Premium pass to one of the two resorts are likely to have an easy upgrade decision.
If someone has a less expensive AP today (especially the Florida resident and Southern California resident passes), there seems little reason to spend so much for relatively short-term access to the "other" park.

Here are the bullet points about the new pass as we know them today:
  • Price: $700 plus applicable CA or FL tax (depends on where you purchase).
  • No children's price, no DVC discount, no D23 discount.
  • Only available for sale at WDW Guest Relations (parks and DTD) and at the DLR Box Office (no online sales).
  • No monthly payment option (for now).
  • Benefits: All benefits offered by WDW and DLR Premium APs.
  • Cards will have "biometrics" for both WDW and DLR (magnetic stripes, bar codes, and photos).
  • Anyone currently holding both a WDW and DLR AP (except for Epcot after 4 and Florida Resident Dream Pass) will be receiving a Premier Passport at no extra charge, dated to expire when the latter of the two passes would have expired (eg. if you have a WDW pass expiring in August and a DLR pass expiring in December, the new pass will expire in December).
So, how do the numbers break down?

WDW Premium AP w/FL tax $659.24
DLR Premium AP w/CA tax $477.41
Premier Passport w/FL tax $722.75 (tax reduced as it includes out-of-state admission)
Premier Passport w/CA tax $730.63
(tax reduced as it includes out-of-state admission)

For WDW Premium AP holders planning to visit DLR, this is a no-brainer. A one day, one-park DLR ticket is $77.94 (tax incl.), while the cost to upgrade to the Premier Passport is $63.51. For children under 10 with a WDW Premium AP, the price difference is $141.26, $10 more than the price of a 2-Day DLR child's Park Hopper. So... maybe just Mom and Dad get the Premier Passport, maybe not, depending on length of stay.

WDW "regular" AP holders have more to think about. At $520.79, adding DLR (and the Premium features for WDW) leaves a $201.96 gap to fill. A regularly-priced DLR 3-Day Park Hopper Bonus Ticket would be needed to break even. For children, the gap is $255. Unless the family is seriously bi-coastal it's probably better if just Mom and/or Dad get the Premier and they paid retail admission at DLR for the kids. If the family pays retail admission for one or two WDW waterpark visits annually ($47.93 adult/$41.54 child, daily), the step-up becomes easier to justify for more family members.

For DLR Premium AP holders, the extra cost is $253.22, less than the price of a 3 day WDW Magic Your Way ticket with park hopping (no plus options, expires 14 days). Still a no-brainer, since who spends just 3 days at WDW?

For DLR Deluxe APs (50 black-out days), the extra cost is $405.48. That's more than a 10-Day WDW Magic Your Way Park Hopper (PH) with the Water Park Fun & More (WPF&M) option (expires 14 days). It seems most likely that just one member of a DLR AP-holding family would upgrade to the Premier Pass (to obtain WDW AP discounts).

When we move into the realm of the "bargain" APs (WDW Florida Resident APs and Southern California resident passports), the cost of an upgrade doesn't seem to justify itself at all. While it's possible that a deep lodging discount coupled with the other savings may justify a step-up, again, it's probably only justified for the one member of the family who will be whipping out the Premier AP to claim the discounts.

Finally, the good news. Since you can only purchase this pass in person at either WDW or DLR, there's less temptation to buy the pass before you know whether it'll work out for you - if you don't know your expected costs (and savings) by the time you arrive at the gate, when will you know? We suspect most WDW passholders will wait until they arrive at DLR to upgrade to the Premier Passport, and vice versa. While it might be nice to upgrade sooner than that for access to both resorts' passholder web sites and newsletter, the only other factor that might be important is advanced access to lodging discounts. So long as Disney continues to be willing to wait until check-in to confirm that the guest has a valid AP, even that is not a consideration.

Now, we haven't tried to estimate the value of the AP discounts available on food, recreation, tours, and (sometimes) lodging. Those can be considerable, but in most cases, as we've already noted, usually only one individual in a family needs to have access to those discounts. Paying anything extra so other family members can have the discount is redundant at best.

So there you are! Maybe it all made sense, maybe not. And of course, your circumstances will be different than others', so it's hard to generalize. In the end, there will be no substitute for crunching the numbers yourself. Good luck!

Co-Author, PassPorter's Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line, and PassPorter's Disneyland and Southern California Attractions

http://www.passporter.com/
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Magic Post-Drydock
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsToo many to recall!
Dave Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Batman's Gal/Mickey's Pal

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

, Dave, for breaking this all down for us!

My family has decided that I look a lot like Tinker Bell in this Christmas photo.

Scrapbook pages completed in 2014 = 90/250 pages

Our most recent WDW Adventures are here A Spring Adventure: Wilderness, Flowers, and the Force PTR (with Cam and Luke)

Cam22 PassPorter Co-Guide: The Darkroom , Sharing the Adventure: Disney World Trip Reports ,
The Porch , The Library , WDW Touring Plans and Globetrotting: General Trip Reports
My Countdown Counting down to: First Flower and Garden Festival
17 days, 22 hours, 59 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsSSR October 2013--AKL/Kidani June 2013--CBR October 2012--BWI June 2012--AKV Jambo House/Kidani Village June 2011 -- November 2010 Beach Club -- June 2010 Beach Club -- October 2009 CBR and Gaylord Palms -- June 2009 AKV/Kidani Village -- June 2008 VWL --June 2007 OKW--June 2006 Disney Wonder/SSR -- June 2005 SSR -- June 2004 VWL -- June 2003 AKL -- August 1997 Off Property -- March 1980 Cocoa Beach
Cam22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Well put Dave! thanks!

counting down to Spring Break 2014 at BWV!
My Countdown Counting down to: AKL March 3, 2015
313 days, 6 hours, 59 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW First Time 1972, Offsite 1973, 1989, WDW Swan 1996, WDW Swan 1997, Disney Magic New Years 2000, & Port Orleans - IT WAS FREEZING! Offsite 2001,Caribbean Beach 2007, BCV 2008,BWV 2009,BCV 2010,BWV 2011 - our Disney Wedding Trip,AKV 2012,BCV 2013.
norm & linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
RED SOX NATION!!

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 7
Thanks for the info Dave!

Marnie - PassPorter Co-Guide THE FAMILY ROOM , DISNEY WORLD TRIP REPORTS and GLOBETROTTING TRIP REPORTS

The Disneyland, San Diego, and Vegas oh my! Trip Report

The Trip of a Lifetime - Alaska Land and Sea - Trip Report

Non-Creative Title Spring Break Adventures Trip Report

A Whirlwind Trip to Arizona/Utah and the National Parks - UPDATED 9/27!

My Countdown Counting down to: Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands
Hiking around the National Parks
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsAPR '12 - POFQ, JUL '10 - DL, AUG '09 - DCL Western, AUG '08 - POFQ/BC, AUG '06 - AKL/BC/DisneyWonder/Poly, DEC '05 - AKL, APR '05 - AKL/BC, DEC '04 - AKL, MAY '04 - AKL/BC, MAY '03 - WL/BC, MAY '98 -offsite, MAY '94 - BC, AUG '85 - Poly, AUG '83 - Poly, AUG '81 - Poly, JUL '79 - World Inn, JUL '76 - World Inn
Colexis Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned
Community Rank: Legend

That's an information packed post Dave! Thanks for breaking it down
lukeandbrookesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Thanks for the rundown. The new pass doesn't make $ sense to us
My Previous Trips2013 BC, 2013 GF, 2012 BC, 2012 OKW, 2012 BWI, 2011 BWI, 2011 BC, 2010 BC, 2010 CSR, 2010 Kidani, 2009 GCV, 2009 BC, 2008 BWV, 2008 Grand Californian, 2008 BC, 2007 BWI, 2007 POFQ, 2007 Grand Californian, 2006 BC, 2006 POR, 2006 WL, 2005 BC, 2005 BWI, 2005 CBR, 2004 CR, 2005 Poly, 2004 GF, 2004 POFQ 2004 Poly, 2003 Poly, 2003 CSR, 2003 POR, 2002 AKL, 2002 GF, 2001 AKL, 2001 Poly, 2000 CBR, 1999 CBR, 1998 ASMo, 1997 ASMu, 1996 ASMu, 1995 ASSp, 1991 Wyndham, 1989 off site, 1985 Off Site
jimmymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Okay, I have a question...if I currently hold a WDW AP (std) and want to upgrade to the Premier, how much of a credit would be applied? Is it prorated depending on how much into the use year I am into on my current AP? Does that make sense?

Danielle

disneydani - Co-Guide for the Touring the 'World' Forum, Passporter Challenge Forum
disneydani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Day-Tripper

Wow - it's a lot to think about! For several years I have had WDW Annual passes ( but have not done Premium in a couple of years ), last April money was tight and I knew that I wanted to go to DL/DCL in October so I bypassed the renewal savings and decided to wait to purchase until I was closer to travel back to WDW. I ended up buying the DL annual pass ( with the blockout days) and had a fabulous trip!! I was frustrated that there were no dual park passports ( WDW & DL ) because it seemed economically foolish to spend out $$ for both. I really wanted to spend certain times of the year at each park ( WDW Christmas, halloween DL or WDW etc ). I was excited when DL started to offer a plan to spread out pass payments over 12 months and hoped that WDW would follow suit- that way it wouldn't hurt so much and I could do both. So this IS great news - I think....!!! People will really have to crunch out the numbers and think not only about days spent in parks but also resort savings etc. I really hope that they make a monthly payment plan. I'm surprised that Disney is not offering to sell the pass online - I figure they would want to get more money in their pocket!

Does anyone know if they will offer any credit towards an upgrade for those of us who are already holding non-premium Annual Passes to either park??
mackeymouse4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydani View Post
Okay, I have a question...if I currently hold a WDW AP (std) and want to upgrade to the Premier, how much of a credit would be applied? Is it prorated depending on how much into the use year I am into on my current AP? Does that make sense?

Danielle
Ive been trying to ask a similar question and WDW has been giving me the run around. I want to know if I can upgrade my basic pass to a premium pass for the rest of its life and pay a prorated amount or do I have to pay the full difference between a basic AP and a premium AP? My pass only has a month left on it so it would seem silly for me to pay for 12 months of premium service and get only 1 month of benefit.
Inkmahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

Thanks for the info Dave you just made me question a decision I made about buying a premier let me break it down and ask everyones opinion. We have a WDW trip planned for 5/16 to 5/26 this year. The original plan was to purchase a regular AP for myself and the DH and then purchase one Water Park day for the day we will be surfing at Typhoon Lagoon. We have another WDW trip planned for 1/2 to 1/6 the Panama Canal Cruise and 1/21 to 1/24 in DL. When the new pass came out I did then math and it came out about even to upgrade to the premier pass to add the DL days. The plan was to purchase the new pass when we arrived in WDW in May but from reading your breakdown would it be better to just purchase the Premium AP for just WDW and wait until we get to DL to upgrade to the new pass. We will be attending the D23 Expo in 2011. If I understand right it would give me a pass good to WDW and DL that would expire in January 2012 giving me an extra 7 to 8 months at WDW. Is my thinking correct or did I miss something

TIA sorry if I made any brains hurt or if this makes more sense to me than anyone else.
aubs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

What's this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydani View Post

Danielle
The upgrade policy is to credit the full purchase price of the original pass, and the new pass will expire on the same date as the original pass. (So, no, they're not pro-rating.)

This would apply to aubs42's question, too. You can't extend the life of an existing pass by upgrading at a later date. If you buy an AP for this year's trip in May, that pass will expire in May 2011, no matter what you do to upgrade it at a later date. Since D23 Expo will be in September 2011, you'd need a new pass by then, no less January 2012. In your case, I think we'd have to also find out the renewal price on the Premier Passport, which hasn't been announced yet.

To clarify, the reasons I suggested folks would wait to arrive at DL (or WDW) before upgrading to the Premier were simply to delay the expenditure until you were absolutely sure you'd need it (plans do change, after all), and so you weren't laying out the extra money until you actually needed to spend it.

Hope that helps!

Co-Author, PassPorter's Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line, and PassPorter's Disneyland and Southern California Attractions

My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 03-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

So just to be clear the only people who are currently holding an AP for both DL and WDW will get the new pass with the later expiration date between the two AP's. Purchasing a WDW AP and then at a later date purchasing a DL AP you will not get the automatic combine with the later expiration date?
aubs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Thanks for the info!! That's a lot to think about.

Riding the Magic Carpets with Jasmine and Aladdin
My Countdown Counting down to: Chloe's 4th Birthday at BLT
My Previous TripsEvery other summer as a kid, Just about every weekend while at Flagler College, PORS Jan 03, Honeymoon CR(Garden Wing) Mar 04 (Joined DVC too), SS Dec 05, OKW Feb 06, SS Aug 06, SS June 07(Chloe's 1st trip), SS Feb 08, WLV Sept 08, AKL Dec 08, SS April 09, OKW Oct 09, FtWCampground Jan 10
piglet925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

What's this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeymouse4eva View Post
Does anyone know if they will offer any credit towards an upgrade for those of us who are already holding non-premium Annual Passes to either park??
Yes, you'll get credit for the original purchase price of the current pass. Similarly, if you're at WDW and hold a valid WDW Magic Your Way ticket, you can apply its value to the price of an upgrade while you're at WDW. DLR does not honor WDW tickets for upgrade/exchange, and vice versa (they never have) - they'll only accept APs from the other resort for an upgrade.

If you happened to hold non-premium APs to both WDW and DLR prior to the announcement of the new pass on March 10th (except for certain Florida resident passes) you'll be getting a free upgrade to the Premium, too.

My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 03-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

What's this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubs42 View Post
So just to be clear the only people who are currently holding an AP for both DL and WDW will get the new pass with the later expiration date between the two AP's. Purchasing a WDW AP and then at a later date purchasing a DL AP you will not get the automatic combine with the later expiration date?
Correct.

Now, I'm not sure how they're going to handle things if, from now on, someone buys a WDW AP and a DLR AP and then wants to convert them to a Premier Passport. So far, the only information I have is on what happens if you have a WDW or DLR AP and want to take that one pass and upgrade to a Premier Passport.

My PassPorter Bookshelf