Will New Fastpass System Even Things Out? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Going Behind the Scenes: Trivia, News, and Rumors at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsored by Chip & Co.
Forum Sponsor: Chip & Co.
Recommends PassPorter!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Will New Fastpass System Even Things Out?

The new fastpass system will allow you to get fastpasses way in advance, online, correct?

I've been thinking about it. I believe it will even things out between the hardcore teens/adults and families. I've been on both sides. I've gone to Disney World with just my brother and we had alot of fun and got to do alot of rides. I've also done Disney with my little kids and wife.

For the most part, single teens/adults can take advantage of fastpasses way more often than families. There is noone slowing you down, you have a much better chance of executing your plans, you usually take advantage of fastpasses.

Families, however, have a totally different experience. Kids happen, and 9/10 you don't get fastpasses. Or, sometimes, when you do get them, something happens and you cannot use them.

I think getting fastpasses online will even things out. Families will be better able to plan out the trip and take advantage of fastpasses they normally wouldn't have time to get.

What do you think?

Last edited by disneyfan2000; 02-13-2013 at 12:29 PM..
disneyfan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

As a mom who often travels with two kids under 6, I hope so. We often only do half days, rushing out at the crack of dawn, so bring able to reserve our favs on fast pass+ and not have to rush each morning is something I am looking forward to.
My Previous TripsWDW 1992, WDW 1999, WDW & All Star Sports May 2009, Kidani Village and WLV 2010, POFQ 2011, Disney Dream 2012, All Star Music Jan 2013, WLV and AKV Oct 2013, AsSports and VGF 2014
kellensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I know when I first heard of the idea of being able to reserve a few FPs, I thought "what a great idea!" Yes, we fall into that "Have small children" category and it actually winds up being DH that crisscrosses back and forth all over the park grabbing our FPs for different attractions and, while he has never complained, it takes away from his touring time while I take the girls and we usually hop on something while he is gone. We also take a mid-afternoon break for naps and usually by the time we've returned the park, FPs are gone for the more popular attractions. Not terribly long ago, a friend of mine posted that he had gotten some FPs for Toy Story after riding it for the sole purpose of giving them away to a complete stranger on the way out, as a means of spreading his own Disney magic. On one hand, I thought it was a nice gesture, but on the other hand, I thought that it wasn't fair in a way. If lots of people start grabbing up FPs to be handing out to other people, seems like you'll have more folks disappointed because FPs were already gone for the day by the time they get to the park. I was wondering what other people's thoughts may be on this.

Celebrating Tokyo Disneyland's 30th Anniversary and DH's Birthday!
My Previous TripsWDW Summer 83, College Program 95, Off-site 96, Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea Aug 2007, May 2009, and June 2010, DL & CA May 2011, POFQ September 2011, Disneyland Hotel Dec 2011, Off-site DLR March 2012, Grand Californian May 2012, MiraCosta & Tokyo Disneyland Hotel December 2012, Tokyo Disneyland & DisneySea at Tokyo Bay Hilton May 2013
LizCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

will the new fastpass be a barcode or an rfid signal?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

PassPorter's Club Passholder
What's this?

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
RFID.

Co-Author, PassPorter's Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line, and PassPorter's Disneyland and Southern California Attractions

http://www.passporter.com/
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Magic Post-Drydock
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsToo many to recall!
Dave Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

What's this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCatMom View Post
...Not terribly long ago, a friend of mine posted that he had gotten some FPs for Toy Story after riding it for the sole purpose of giving them away to a complete stranger on the way out, as a means of spreading his own Disney magic. On one hand, I thought it was a nice gesture, but on the other hand, I thought that it wasn't fair in a way. If lots of people start grabbing up FPs to be handing out to other people, seems like you'll have more folks disappointed because FPs were already gone for the day by the time they get to the park. I was wondering what other people's thoughts may be on this.
In some regards, this is a chicken-and-egg situation. If FPs were easy to get regardless of the time of day, then folks wouldn't think to do this. At the same time, if fewer people took FPs "on spec" (whether for their own possible use, or as an act of random kindness), the supply of FPs wouldn't run out quite so soon.

I feel this kind of behavior simply shifts a benefit from one person to another. It gives the individual a chance to spread a bit of semi-random magic, but that feel-good moment comes at the expense of someone who is disappointed to arrive at the FP machines and find they're all gone.

I don't think this happens often enough to have a meaningful impact on the operation of the FP system as a whole, but it certainly has a negative impact on someone.

Co-Author, PassPorter's Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line, and PassPorter's Disneyland and Southern California Attractions

http://www.passporter.com/
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Magic Post-Drydock
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsToo many to recall!
Dave Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think by being able to get fastpasses way in advance and seeing the availablility, we will quickly start to see what the most popular times are to ride certain rides. And, as with all scarce resources, everyone will have to adjust to this and make sacrifices and ride some rides at non-popular times. But I think this is going to be great for people like me, with kids, who normally doesn't get to get in that mix of fastpass users.

Although, what if it rains or some other unforseen event happens that throws off your whole schedule for the day? Does the new system allow for any adaption?

Last edited by disneyfan2000; 02-14-2013 at 01:14 PM..
Old 02-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

I agree with the notion that it might allow for more flexibility for more people, especially for the big headline attractions. I feel like if we are ever going to get a shot at riding Toy Story Mania in DHS, then we would have to get there right at rope drop, which is great and I'm all in to do so, but it does make me feel more pressured into having my trip plannd out each day Exactly "so". "If we are going to do x then we have to do y on this day, which means z has to go somewhere else." Throw in trying to score ADRs, and it feels like a gamble...which I admit makes it all the more thrilling to plan successfully, but I feel it takes some of the ease out of it being vacation. I like the idea that I can plan accordingly for when I KNOW I will be on the ride.

I also made the mistake of splitting up our group on the last day to hit everyone's faves,and in doing so we missed the chance to get FPs for Soarin. Live and learn I guess, but being able to preorder FP times seems like it could help with the curve.
mouseketeer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

I think it will make them easier to get for families, but I'd be willing that there will be a larger percentage of fastpasses that don't get used because of family issues. (Napping child, meltdown, long meal, etc..)
DisneyBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBri View Post
I think it will make them easier to get for families, but I'd be willing that there will be a larger percentage of fastpasses that don't get used because of family issues. (Napping child, meltdown, long meal, etc..)
agreed, I think that's going to happen a lot more often than not. And what about people who plan a last minute trip? No joy for them? Right now, APs are not included in the RFID system, though 'once everything is running' the plan is to have them included. That means no FP for them either? We semi-plan, but often we don't finalize until the day before or even that morning. We don't do ADRs every day either. It's just the two of us and we are more go-with-the-flow types. We just did a 'free' trip to shake the doldrums....using miles to fly, Disney Visa dollars for room and food...booked on Monday, flew down on Friday and back on Sunday....no way 'prebooking' rides would have worked for us!!

My Countdown Counting down to: Escaping Election Chaos at WDW and on the Fantasy
Ahhhhhhhh......
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsNov 77-one day WDW; Oct 01--POR; Oct 04--Grand Floridian; Dec 05--Grand Californian Concierge/Beach Club Concierge/Disney Wonder; May 06--Grand Floridian Concierge; Sept 06- Disney Magic, West. Carib; May 07--Saratoga Springs; Sept/Oct 07--Disney Magic, East. Carib; Jan 08--Saratoga Springs; Apr 08 Contemporary Concierge; Aug 08--Grand Californian Concierge; Aug-Sep 08--Disney Magic, Eastbound Panama Canal; Dec 08--Grand Floridian Palm Club; Apr 09--Animal Kingdom Lodge; Oct 09--Saratoga Springs; Dec 09--Polynesian-Disney Magic Eastern Carib; May 10--Villas at Wilderness Lodge; Jun 10--POFQ; Nov-Dec 10--Disney Magic Western Carib-Saratoga Springs; Feb 11--Grand Californian; Jun 11--DIsney Dream B2B; Jan 12--WDW VWL; May 12--HHI; Jul 12--Disney Magic 2-day; Nov '12--BLT; Nov '12--Eastern Carib, Fantasy; Feb '13--POR;
NanaTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

What do people think about the suggestion that FP's should be more available to people staying onsite? Personally I agree that they should be. I know a lot of people argue that they can't afford to stay onsite so why should they loose out. My answer to that is that I save for longer and do not go as often as others do because we want to stay onsite. I never thought I would feel this way but I am starting to favour the universal approach with their 'front of line' pass that you get if you either stay onsite or you buy it. I have lost count of the amount of times I have heard stories with tour groups (particularly South American tour groups) where their group leader stands at the machine and gets 50-60 FPs while the rest of the group are on so ething else which means others can't get them.
Tishypops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

I guess this could be helpful, we have done the split up we will go take the kids on a ride while another adult goes and gets fast pass for a ride, but planning that before being in a park may not work out to well for us. To decide before hand what park we will go to each day ahead of time is not something we do. Granted we generally will do Mk as soon as we get there, but then where we go from there is not really planned unless we are doing a char. meal. So not to sure how we would do with this new system. Sounds interesting though.
My Previous TripsHRP 90, 93,95,97,98,2001 ALL AT CB, 2002-WL. In 2003 WL,CB, CS 2004 CB,WL 2005 CB,BC/WL ,2006 PC,WL,PC, 2007 FW, PC, 2008-PC , SS, PC. 2009 Poly. PC ,WLV. 2010 PC,AKL. 2011 & 2013 WL.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaTink View Post
agreed, I think that's going to happen a lot more often than not. And what about people who plan a last minute trip? No joy for them? Right now, APs are not included in the RFID system, though 'once everything is running' the plan is to have them included. That means no FP for them either? We semi-plan, but often we don't finalize until the day before or even that morning. We don't do ADRs every day either. It's just the two of us and we are more go-with-the-flow types. We just did a 'free' trip to shake the doldrums....using miles to fly, Disney Visa dollars for room and food...booked on Monday, flew down on Friday and back on Sunday....no way 'prebooking' rides would have worked for us!!
This is exactly how I feel. We are also very go-with-the-flow and the idea of having to pre-book FPs for certain times would annoy me to no end. We usually don't even decide what park we want to go to on which day until we are there, and we always park hop.

Me and two of my loves

My Countdown Counting down to: WE ARE GOING TO BRAZIL!!!! (to root on the USMNT in the World Cup!!!)
56 days, 6 hours, 25 minutes
My Previous TripsVarious day trips WDW 1990-99; DL 1995; GF WDW Jan. 1997; POFQ WDW May 1999; AKL WDW Jan. 2002 (during which I became engaged at Disney Boardwalk); WDW most Fridays 2002; MNSSHalloween WDW 2002; ASMovies & all parks WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2006; CB WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2007; POFQ WDW May 2008; POR WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2008; WL WDW May/June 2009; POP WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2009; ASMu WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2010; CSR WDW January 2011; DLR (Park Vue Inn) June 2011; ASMo WDW & MNSSHP Oct 2011; CBR WDW January 2012; DL Paris - Davy Crockett Ranch May 2012; Art of Animation & AS Sports, MNSSHP Sept 2012; CSR & MVMCP Nov/Dec 2012; Pop MK May 2013; ASMO MNSSHP Oct 2013
Ashli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

What I'm wondering is, how are you supposed to check your FP time if you forget it while you're in the parks if the wristbands don't have a screen to read? Will there be monitors in the parks to checks these things or will you have to have a smart phone for that?

10/00- CBR * 9/01 - CSR * 7/03 - CSR * 4-5/04 - POFQ *
5/06 - DTD * 6/07 - POFQ * 5/08 - DTD & Sarasota * 5/09 - CSR * 5/10 - Pop & DTD Hilton * 5/11 - DTD Hilton * 5/12 DTD Hilton & N. Redington Beach (Tampa Bay) * 5/13 Pop & DTD Doubletree Suites * 5/14 - POFQ

My Countdown Counting down to: Next trip to WDW!!
27 days, 14 hours, 25 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1 trip to DL - 1968 & 12 trips to WDW since 2000
Disney Franatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

As an Annual Pass holder who lives 15 minutes from WDW--I'm not sure I love the new FP bookings for resort guests. I do stay on property once in awhile, but I spend on average one day/evening in the parks per week. I feel like I'm going to be at a decided disadvantage not being able to book FP in advance when I decide on the spur of the moment to head to a park. I'm going to guess that I spend a lot more money over the course of a year than the average family that comes in for a week, but I'm not getting the same benefits.

ilovedisney247 - Heather PassPorter Guide for The Backyard
Guide for Making More Magic
Guide for Sharing the Magic
My Countdown Counting down to: Leap 2012
24 Hours!
My Previous TripsWDW 1985 off property, WDW 1987 Contemporary, WDW 1989 Poly, WDW Sept. 2006 Pop, WDW Sept. 2007 CBR WDW Aug 2008 ASMu Dec 2008 SSR, May 2009 SSR, June 2009 SSR/VWL, Oct 2009 AKVC, Dec 2009 AKV, June 2010 SSR, Oct 2010 BWV, Nov 2010 CR, Dec 2010 ASp, April 2011 AKVC, June 2011 SSR/ASM, July 2011, ASp, Oct 2011 AKVC, Dec 2011 VGC
ilovedisney247 is offline   Reply With Quote