2007 Holiday Recipe Swap - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Villa: Sharing the Fun Together > The Kitchen: Food, Recipes, and Good Health
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2007, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

2007 Holiday Recipe Swap

Welcome to the 2007 Holiday Recipe Swap!!

Since we all can't cook for each other and share our favorite holiday dishes, I thought we could all share our favorite holiday recipes!!

So grab those family cookbooks or the food stained index card way back in the recipe box and lets share some great recipes for the holidays!!

Happy Holidays Everyone!! And thanxs for sharing!!

Sci-Fi Eating - August 2011
My Countdown Counting down to: Trying something new - Legoland, SeaWorld, and WDW
My Previous TripsWDW - Off-Site (1974, 1976, and 2000) Caribbean Beach Resort and Off-Site 2009
TheThomasFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Pineapple Casserole

This recipe is actually from a cook who I've seen before. Your name is Paula Deen. I think she is really gonna go places!! I have tailored this recipe alittle. It is a wonderful dish and I serve it quite a bit for work food feasts!!

Pineapple Casserole

1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 20-ounce cans pineapple tibbits drained (reserve juice)
2 cups ritz cracker crumbs
1 stick butter, melted

Preheat oven for 350 degrees. Mix together sugar and flour, then gradually stir in cheese. Add pineapple and stir well. Pour mixture into greased casserole dish. Combine cracker crumbs, butter, and pineapple juice (I usually don't need all of the juice-just enough to moisten the topping making it easy to spread) and spread on top of pineapple mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Enjoy!!

Sci-Fi Eating - August 2011
My Countdown Counting down to: Trying something new - Legoland, SeaWorld, and WDW
My Previous TripsWDW - Off-Site (1974, 1976, and 2000) Caribbean Beach Resort and Off-Site 2009
TheThomasFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 3
What a great idea!!
This is a recipe that my mom fixes for Thanksgiving along with the turkey, gravy, potatoes, my mouth is already watering.

Squash Cornbread

Mix together:
3 eggs
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 stick of butter (melted)
1 1/4 cup of self rising corn meal
1/4 cup self rising flour
1 1/4 cup grated squash
1 med onion (chopped)
3/4 cup cottage cheese
1/4 tsp. salt

Bake at 325 for 30 min. in a cake pan or even better in a cast iron skillet.

This is so good, and a good way to sneak veggies in on your kids.
sparks74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 7
Stuffed French Toast

crusty italian bread, sliced
whipped cream cheese
bananas, sliced
raspberry preserves
eggs
cream
fresh cream butter

Assemble bottom to top: 1. slice of bread, 2. smear of cream cheese, 3. banana slices, 4. slice of pre-smeared bread with raspberry preserves.

Soak in egg/cream mixture before pan-frying in a little fresh cream butter.

Sorry there are no measurements. I just buy a jar of this and that and throw it together. I'm not the most spectacular of cooks. Serve with thick-sliced applewood-smoked bacon and orange wedges..

Merry Mimosas

Combine in a large pitcher with a small pour spout:
orange juice (or one of those pretty pink mixed versions with strawberry juice)
grenadine
Verdi Spumante

Serve in:
champagne glasses rimmed with honey and dipped in crystalized sugar

Or - make Mint Cocoa for the kids.

hot cocoa mix made according to package directions
whipped cream
1 large candy cane per mug for stirring

My Previous Trips::Wildwood, NJ: June 2007:: ::Knoebels: July 2003, June 2004, August 2005, August 2006, August 2007, August 2008, August 2009, August 2010:: ::WDW: 1999 (Honeymoon):: ::DL: 1983 (age 4!)::

Last edited by Chrissi; 10-06-2007 at 05:23 PM..
Chrissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

EASY MAKE-AHEAD MASHED POTATOES

Prepare the potatoes for your Thanksgiving feast one day ahead of time to ease meal preparation.

Preparation time: 30 min Cooking time: 15 min Chilling time: 4 hrs Baking time: 50 min
Yield: 10 servings

Potatoes Ingredients:
8 cups (about 4 pounds) peeled potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces2 teaspoons salt3/4 cup milk1/2 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened, cut into chunks

Garnish Ingredients:
Paprika, if desired Chopped fresh parsley, if desired
Place potatoes in 4-quart saucepan. Cover with water; add 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Cook potatoes until fork tender (15 to 18 minutes). Drain.

Place potatoes in large mixer bowl. Mash potatoes on low speed. Increase speed to medium. Beat, gradually adding 1/4 cup milk, butter and cream cheese until smooth (1 to 2 minutes). Place potatoes in 3-quart casserole. Cover; refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

Heat oven to 325°F. Pour remaining 1/2 cup milk over potatoes. Cover; bake for 30 minutes. Stir; continue baking for 20 to 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with paprika and chopped parsley, if desired.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips3 trips to Disneyland, 2 DCL cruises, 7 other cruises, Many trip to Walt Disney World and summers at the Jersey shore
crystalloubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Legend

Well, this is something that DH's sister used to bring to every get together, and now I do since she stopped. It's really easy, but good:

Cream Cheese Ball

2 8-oz. Pkgs. Cream Cheese, room temp.
4 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 medium onion, finely chopped
5-8 "dashes" Worchtershire sauce
1 cup chopped pecans

Mix everything but the pecans together until they are really mixed up. Roll into a ball and roll in the nuts. wrap in waxed paper, then in foil. Refrigerate for a day or so. It tastes a lot better if you let it "ripen" for a day or two. Serve with crackers.
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
yes, i'm a natural blue.

Concierge Level: 6
Gram's Pink Stuff

1 can of condensed milk
1 can of crushed pinapple, drained
1 container of Cool Whip
1 can of strawberry pie filling

Mix. Chill. Enjoy.

I'm pretty sure this is how it's made. My grandmother makes it for basically all of our family gatherings. It's really easy to make and its a nice whippy dessert. It can also be made with cherry or blueberry pie filling, but i like strawberry best.

Last edited by jpod523; 10-12-2007 at 10:47 AM..
jpod523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Concierge Level: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpod523 View Post
Gram's Pink Stuff
I can't believe someone else has this too except we just call it Pink Stuff. We've always had it with cherry filling but I bet strawberry is yummy too.

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Feb 1994 Dance Competition (offsite), CBR July 1999, ASMU Aug 2007, CBR Dec 2008, Honeymoon at POFQ Aug 2009, DLR March 2011, POFQ Aug 2013
Mares75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Cranberry Sauce With Dried Cherries and Cloves

You're either a fan of canned cranberry sauce or not - since I'm not, this is my favorite cranberry sauce recipe! It's perfect with the holiday turkey or great over a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.

Cranberry Sauce With Dried Cherries and Cloves

2 1/2 c. cherry cider or black cherry cider or cherry/cranberry juice cocktail
1 8oz. pkg. dried tart cherries
1 c. sugar
1 12oz. pkg. cranberries
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

Bring cider to simmer in a heavy saucepan. Remove from heat. Add cherries and let stand 8 minutes. Mix in sugar, then cranberries and cloves. Cook over medium-high heat until cranberries burst, stirring occasionally, about 9 minutes. Refridgerate until cold, about 4 hours (suace will thicken as it cools.) Can be prepared 4 days ahead. Cover and keep refridgerated.

Hurts So Good TR 9/2009
"This Is Not the Trip You're Looking For" TR May/Jun 2011
My Countdown Counting down to: Star Wars Weekend Solo Trip!
My Previous TripsWDW May/June 2011 POR, WDW Sep 2009 POR, WDW Sep 2007 POR
Nimros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Gingerbread Pancakes

Ooh - one more! I always try to make this at least once during the holidays. It makes breakfast really special. These pancakes have a distinctive, cake-like texture.

(NOTE : I'm copying the recipe down as written. I always make some adjustments to it, so I get the batter to a consistency I like. I always add more water and usually use only 1/2 stick butter.)

Gingerbread Pancakes

3 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. packed dark brown sugar
1 T. baking powder
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/8 t. cloves
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. brewed coffee, cold or at room temp.
4 lg. eggs
1 stick (1/2 c.) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/4 c. lemon juice

Whisk together first 9 ingredients. Whisk together water, coffee, eggs, butter and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add flour mixture and whisk until just combined. Let stand 15 minutes (batter will thicken.)

Brush griddle or skillet with oil and heat over moderate heat until water drops on surface 'dance' when they hit.

Pour 1/4 c. batter on hot griddle and cook until bubbles appear on surface and underside is lightly browned, 1-2 minutes. Flip pancakes with spatula and cook until cooked through and edges are lightly browned. Transfer to plate; cover loosley with foil to keep warm. Brush griddle with oil between batches.

Makes about 18 pancakes.

Hurts So Good TR 9/2009

Last edited by Nimros; 10-13-2007 at 11:24 AM..
Old 10-13-2007, 02:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
My family are big sweet potato fans....however to change off from the usual sweet potato paie I make mashed sweet potatos with a spicy twist...

About 5 or 6 large sweet potatos, peel and boil till soft.

Drain the water and let cool....

I add two tablespoons of mango chuntney and mash

They are really a nice alternative to mashed potatos and they have a nice spicy twist to them....

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsBWI 11/14, AKV & BCV 8/14, CSR 10/13, OKW & AKV 8/13, AKV & BLT 7/12, AKV & BWV 8/11, BCV 2/11, POR & BWV 8/10, POR 8/09, POR 12/08, ASMo 6/08, POR 5/06, WDW 10/83
mcc0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

I make this cake at Christmas...........if you like chocolate covered cherries, you'll love this cake and it's so easy
1 package of chocolate cake mix
1 can cherry pie filling
2 large eggs
1 tsp almond extract
Preheat oven at 350....lightly grease 13 x 9 pan.....set aside
Place cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs and flavoring in mixing bowl......blend on low for 1 minute....scrape down sides and increase speed to medium and beat for 2 more minutes....scrape down sides if needed....batter should look thick and well blended...pour into prepared pan......smooth top....
Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes (until cake springs back when pressed with finger and the sides pull away from pan).........Remove from oven... cool on rack while preparing glaze.
Glaze
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 tbs LIGHT corn syrup
Put all ingredients into bowl..........microwave on high for 30 seconds intervals stirring after each until all melted..........let cool for about 10 minutes.
Turn cake onto serving dish...........pour glaze over the cake spreading it so that it spills over sides to cover all cake (slowly so that it doesn't puddle to much.......let harden and set...........when it is set you can clean-up any hardened puddling.
To make it special for the holidays I take fruit roll-ups (usually a red color) and run a stripe down the center then across and cut up strips and make bows so that the cake is presented as a "gift".....it looks so cute. Make sure glaze is completely hardened before you add the stripes to it.
I also make a really good fruitcake if anyone wants that. rella
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1996 Polynesian ( our 1st trip..25th anniversary..ours and WDW)_1997 Polynesian_1998 Grand Floridian_1999 Grand Floridian (became DVC members BWV)_2000 BoardWalk_ 2002 Polynesian_2004 BoardWalk (August & November)__2005 BoardWalk_2006 BoardWalk__2007 Old Key West (July) BoardWalk (November)_2008 Old Key West (Jaclyn and Brett..Engagement)_2009 Old Key West_2010 Animal Kingdom (Jaclyn & Brett...Honeymoon)_2011 BoardWalk_2012 Bay Lake Towers (Luke's 1st trip)_2013 Bay Lake Towers...2014 BoardWalk
rella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rella View Post
I make this cake at Christmas...........if you like chocolate covered cherries, you'll love this cake and it's so easy
Rella - what do you call this cake?

Hurts So Good TR 9/2009
Old 10-13-2007, 09:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

sorry...........It's called Chocolate- covered cherry cake.............we call it the Christmas cake................rella
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1996 Polynesian ( our 1st trip..25th anniversary..ours and WDW)_1997 Polynesian_1998 Grand Floridian_1999 Grand Floridian (became DVC members BWV)_2000 BoardWalk_ 2002 Polynesian_2004 BoardWalk (August & November)__2005 BoardWalk_2006 BoardWalk__2007 Old Key West (July) BoardWalk (November)_2008 Old Key West (Jaclyn and Brett..Engagement)_2009 Old Key West_2010 Animal Kingdom (Jaclyn & Brett...Honeymoon)_2011 BoardWalk_2012 Bay Lake Towers (Luke's 1st trip)_2013 Bay Lake Towers...2014 BoardWalk
Old 10-13-2007, 09:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'll add our Thanksgiving cake...........it's called Festive Holiday cake...........I only make it for Thanksgiving (I do some of my cakes only once a year to keep it special)well............This one is not as easy but just as good
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
3 eggs
1 tsp almond extract
2 cups mashed bananas
2 cups sugar
1 tps salt
1 cup sliced almonds
1 1/2 cup oil
8 oz can crushed undrained pineapple
Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, salt & cinnamon together..........stir in almonds...set aside
In another bowl beat eggs slightly to break-up, add oil, almond extract, bananas & can of pineapple.....mix to blend.......add to flour mixture....mix together but DO NOT BEAT.
Pour into an oiled 10 inch tube pan.........Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 20-25 minutes..... cool in pan for 10 - 15 minutes..........Invert onto serving plate......Frost
Cream cheese frosting
1 stick unsalted butter softened at room temp
4 oz cream cheese softened at room temp
1 box confectioners sugar
1 tps vanilla or almond flavoring..........
Put butter and cream cheese into bowl.......beat together..........add sugar gradually ..........add flavoring.............beat until well blended and smooth..............frost cake rella
My PassPorter Bookshelf