Does Sno-cone syrup go bad? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Villa: Sharing the Fun Together > The Kitchen: Food, Recipes, and Good Health
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 3
Question Does Sno-cone syrup go bad?

I have 4 bottles of syrup in my fridge and 2 more in my pantry. I know the 2 in the pantry were in the fridge at one point in time but we never actually opened them - and I don't believe they came foil sealed either. Does this stuff go bad? We haven't used it since the summer and probably won't use it again until it heats up. And unlike all the other food stuff that seems to need dates on them, these bottles don't have dates anywhere that I can see.

Celebrating Lenny's birthday at Epcot August 2014

Looking for all of my previous reports? Click my TR link.

Our FROZEN filled TR UPDATED 10/13 POSTS 258 & 259

My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music
CinderAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
RED SOX NATION!!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 7
I don't think so (or I hope not). My kids have been using the ones we have off and on for a couple years! I think it's mainly sugar and water (and coloring).

Marnie - PassPorter Co-Guide THE FAMILY ROOM , DISNEY WORLD TRIP REPORTS and GLOBETROTTING TRIP REPORTS

The Disneyland, San Diego, and Vegas oh my! Trip Report

The Trip of a Lifetime - Alaska Land and Sea - Trip Report

Non-Creative Title Spring Break Adventures Trip Report

A Whirlwind Trip to Arizona/Utah and the National Parks - UPDATED 9/27!

My Countdown Counting down to: Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands
Hiking around the National Parks
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsAPR '12 - POFQ, JUL '10 - DL, AUG '09 - DCL Western, AUG '08 - POFQ/BC, AUG '06 - AKL/BC/DisneyWonder/Poly, DEC '05 - AKL, APR '05 - AKL/BC, DEC '04 - AKL, MAY '04 - AKL/BC, MAY '03 - WL/BC, MAY '98 -offsite, MAY '94 - BC, AUG '85 - Poly, AUG '83 - Poly, AUG '81 - Poly, JUL '79 - World Inn, JUL '76 - World Inn
Colexis Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

No. Foods with a high concentration of sugar and a low amount of protein don't grow bacteria very well at all, especially if sealed.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

I suppose it will eventually go bad. But it should have a pretty long life first. We have some in our fridge that was opened at the end of the summer in 09 and no one got sick from it this year.
I'm going on the theory that if it really mattered, it would have a date.

My Previous Trips1974 w/mom and best friend -- 1976 w/parents -- 5/2002 ASMo DD's 1st visit -- 11/2002 ASMo w/hubby and the Princess (2 trips that year - what luck!) -- 2005 POP holiday trip -- 2006 ASMo w/ DH, DD, B and SIL for niece's graduation -- 2/2009 DLR -- 11/2009 ASMu -- 11/2010 POFQ & 12/2010 POP -- Non-Disney trips: too many to mention
Carousel96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Wont go bad as in poisoning or anything.....but things with alot of sugar like that tend to "go to sugar" as my Dgma used to say......kind of dry up sort of with chuncks of sugarlike bits in it......but still good just strain it.....

My beauties that are going to Disney
My Countdown Counting down to: September 2012 with Dgds 4 and 6
Bye! We are going to the World.......
My Previous TripsWDW Sept 09, Sept. 08 and Dec 08, WDW Sept. 07, Sanibel Island June 07, WDW July 06, Reno April 07, WDW Feburary 71, 72, 74, 78, 82, 86, 98 and New year's eve 99.
Ceara's mawmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

What's this?

Concierge Level: 6
Boil it up, maybe add a touch more water, strain it, and a syrup can last a long time.

Co-Author, PassPorter's Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line, and PassPorter's Disneyland and Southern California Attractions

http://www.passporter.com/
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Magic Post-Drydock
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsToo many to recall!
Dave Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 3
Cool - thanks everyone. What we have is still liquid (no chunks of anything in it) and it smells okay but I wasn't entirely sure if it could go bad or not.

Celebrating Lenny's birthday at Epcot August 2014

Looking for all of my previous reports? Click my TR link.

Our FROZEN filled TR UPDATED 10/13 POSTS 258 & 259

My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music
CinderAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sugar is a preservative so syrup generally last forever. I have on rare occasions had maple syrup get mold in it but I suspect it's been contaminated when being used.

Charlie
Huntermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

What's this?

Community Rank: Globetrotter

Concierge Level: 6
The problem is cross contamination where something that can spoil gets into the syrup. Keep it sealed up and it should last for a long time.

She is gone but keeping signature. Laundry is getting done. My purpose in life is to help poor people in FL. Farewell, will miss you.
My Countdown Counting down to: Laurie's Birthday
Happy Birthday and may you have a grand day.
My Previous TripsWDW, DLR for 50 years, NYC, San Antonio, Midwest, Catalina Island, San Diego, Vegas, lots of places I have been. I have seen the Atlantic Ocean over 20 times and never been in it.
mechurchlady is offline   Reply With Quote