2012 Reading Challenge - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter Villa: Sharing the Fun Together > The Library: Books, TV, Movies, and Music
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 6
2012 Reading Challenge

I thought I'd start a new thread for this year's reading. Please join me in posting your goal for the year and post as you finish your books.

My goal this year is 55 books.

#1. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum
HiddenMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

I'm glad you started a new reading challenge for this year!
My goal is going to be 55 too!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Hi! I'm new to the Reading Challenge on PP, but I look forward to it.

My goal will also be 55 books.

So far I've completed 1 - Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.

DH and me with our favorites
My Countdown Counting down to: Going to Tampa for a USF game. Go BULLS!
4 days, 18 hours, 27 minutes
My Previous TripsVarious day trips WDW 1990-99; DL 1995; GF WDW Jan. 1997; POFQ WDW May 1999; AKL WDW Jan. 2002 (during which I became engaged at Disney Boardwalk); WDW most Fridays 2002; MNSSHalloween WDW 2002; ASMovies & all parks WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2006; CB WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2007; POFQ WDW May 2008; POR WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2008; WL WDW May/June 2009; POP WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2009; ASMu WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2010; CSR WDW January 2011; DLR (Park Vue Inn) June 2011; ASMo WDW & MNSSHP Oct 2011; CBR WDW January 2012; DL Paris - Davy Crockett Ranch May 2012; Art of Animation & AS Sports, MNSSHP Sept 2012; CSR & MVMCP Nov/Dec 2012; Pop MK May 2013; ASMO MNSSHP Oct 2013; SSR MNSSHP & all WDW parks Sept 2014 Other countries I've visited: Brazil, South Africa, Kazakhstan, Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Czech Republic, Poland, and Canada.
Ashli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Faith, Trust, Pixie Dust

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 7
I'll jump in!

I am going to be a bit more conservative and say 30 books. I just finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and just started The Hunger Games
DebiDebiDebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Last year I read 56 books so I am going to shoot for 58 this year!

I am starting January with Dean Koontz books. First up is The Husband.

DH, DW, DS18, DD12
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Cruise July 2013
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsPoly 3/1990, Poly 5/1992, CBR 4/1997, ASMU 5/1998, Cont 6/2000, Cont 2003, Cont 4/2005, Poly 7/2007, DCL Magic/SSR - Eastern Caribbean 3/2008, DCL Magic - Western Caribbean 7/2009, BLT 6/2010, Pop 11/2010, SSR Treehouse 4/2011, SSR 5/2011 (adult only), DCL Dream/AKL – Bahamas 7/2011, SSR 4/2012, DCL Dream/AKL – Bahamas 12/2012 (Girls Only), DCL Magic – Mediterranean 7/2013, Pop 10/2013, BLT 4/2014
pago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
RED SOX NATION!!

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

I think last year I read 46 books last year (too lazy to go back to the other thread )!

I'm going to go with a goal of 45 books this year.

#1 - The Wild Rose by Jennifer Donnelly

Marnie - PassPorter Co-Guide THE FAMILY ROOM , DISNEY WORLD TRIP REPORTS and GLOBETROTTING TRIP REPORTS

The Disneyland, San Diego, and Vegas oh my! Trip Report

The Trip of a Lifetime - Alaska Land and Sea - Trip Report

Non-Creative Title Spring Break Adventures Trip Report

A Whirlwind Trip to Arizona/Utah and the National Parks - UPDATED 9/27!

My Countdown Counting down to: Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands
Hiking around the National Parks
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsAPR '12 - POFQ, JUL '10 - DL, AUG '09 - DCL Western, AUG '08 - POFQ/BC, AUG '06 - AKL/BC/DisneyWonder/Poly, DEC '05 - AKL, APR '05 - AKL/BC, DEC '04 - AKL, MAY '04 - AKL/BC, MAY '03 - WL/BC, MAY '98 -offsite, MAY '94 - BC, AUG '85 - Poly, AUG '83 - Poly, AUG '81 - Poly, JUL '79 - World Inn, JUL '76 - World Inn
Colexis Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Missing the mouse... :o(

Ah, you beat me to it starting the thread!

My main target is to get to 100 again this year, but along the way I want to include all the Charles Dickens novels that I haven't read yet (that'll be 14 of his 16 then...how shameful for an English Lit graduate!). 2012 is 200 years since his birth and there have been quite a few interesting TV documentaries about him already - as a result I think that perhaps I haven't given him a chance, having (for no specific reason) always assumed his stuff is too heavy and difficult to get into. But having taken on Dostoyevsky's mighty Crime and Punishment last year - and won - hopefully this will be The Year That I Do Dickens.

I'm reading them in the order he wrote them, so first up is The Pickwick Papers...a mere trifle of 800 pages. Nothing like going in at the deep end..!
Out walking with The Boy...

My Countdown Counting down to: Celebrating our 10th Anniversary in the Happiest Place on Earth!
554 days, 8 hours, 27 minutes
My Previous Trips1998 - offsite villa for 3 weeks on a big family holiday; 2006 - honeymoon, just me and my new hubby at POFQ; 2007 - first wedding anniversary holiday with hubby - back at POFQ again; 2008 Valentine's Day vacation with hubby - guess where? yes, POFQ!
Tinkerboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

I've never done the reading challenge before, but I'd like to join in.

My goal is 35 books. Currently reading Book #1 of the year
36 days, 15 hours, 27 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW June 1979, WDW 1985, WDW 1987, WDW Oct 2003, WDW March 2004, WDW Oct 2004, WDW Sept 2005--Pop Century , WDW Nov 2006--Pop Century, WDW Jan 2007--Pop Century, WDW Nov/Dec 2009--Pop Century, DLR Oct 2011
KMB733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

My goal is 40 books. I read mostly non-fiction.
JenniferIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerboo View Post
along the way I want to include all the Charles Dickens novels that I haven't read yet (that'll be 14 of his 16 then...how shameful for an English Lit graduate!). 2012 is 200 years since his birth and there have been quite a few interesting TV documentaries about him already - as a result I think that perhaps I haven't given him a chance, having (for no specific reason) always assumed his stuff is too heavy and difficult to get into. But having taken on Dostoyevsky's mighty Crime and Punishment last year - and won - hopefully this will be The Year That I Do Dickens.

I'm reading them in the order he wrote them, so first up is The Pickwick Papers...a mere trifle of 800 pages. Nothing like going in at the deep end..!
I admire you for your Dickens' goal!!! I'm an English Lit grad too, and I can only hold claim to 2 1/2 of his works - A Tale of Two Cities, A Christmas Carol, and a few pieces in an anthology of Great Expectations.

As a fellow lit lover, I was wondering if you've ever read Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series? I love it, but I always am hesitant to recommend it to people unless I know they really know their lit (because I feel like it would be really confusing otherwise).

My Previous TripsVarious day trips WDW 1990-99; DL 1995; GF WDW Jan. 1997; POFQ WDW May 1999; AKL WDW Jan. 2002 (during which I became engaged at Disney Boardwalk); WDW most Fridays 2002; MNSSHalloween WDW 2002; ASMovies & all parks WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2006; CB WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2007; POFQ WDW May 2008; POR WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2008; WL WDW May/June 2009; POP WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2009; ASMu WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2010; CSR WDW January 2011; DLR (Park Vue Inn) June 2011; ASMo WDW & MNSSHP Oct 2011; CBR WDW January 2012; DL Paris - Davy Crockett Ranch May 2012; Art of Animation & AS Sports, MNSSHP Sept 2012; CSR & MVMCP Nov/Dec 2012; Pop MK May 2013; ASMO MNSSHP Oct 2013; SSR MNSSHP & all WDW parks Sept 2014 Other countries I've visited: Brazil, South Africa, Kazakhstan, Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Czech Republic, Poland, and Canada.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trailblazer

I had a hard time keeping up with my posting last year, but I resolve to be better this year . My goal is going to be 50 books. I've read 2 so far (free Nook books on my new Nook) Faith by Lori Copeland and Perfect Crime by Jack Erickson. Faith is not the kind of book I am usually drawn to, but I did enjoy it. Perfect Crime was okay, but it wasn't much more than a short story. I am currently almost done with my free trial of 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I think I'll be purchasing that one before the weekend is done.

Tinkerboo, I was NOT an English Lit major, but I did take a course in Dickens as an undergrad. This is what you need to know about Dickens; he got paid by the page. Most of his books were first published as serials. Due to this, his novels are A LOT longer than they need to be, IMO. It's not that they are "heavy", but they are wordy and he tends to repeat himself every few chapters (a recap of the last edition of the serial). I found that to be the most difficult thing reading his novels (the fact that I had to finish one every 3 days didn't help).

My Countdown Counting down to: A Very Merry Christmas Trip
Ho ho ho -here we go!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW May 1995 ASSports, WDW Oct. 2005 ASMovies, WDW Aug. 2007 Pop, WDW April 2009 WL, WDW Aug. 2010 WL, DCL August 2011 Alaska, WDW April 2012 AKL-Jambo, WDW August 2012 Beach Club, WDW April 2013 AKL- Kidani, August 2013 AKL-Kidani, August 2013 DCL Western Caribbean on the Fantasy, December 2013 WL
HollyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashli View Post
I admire you for your Dickens' goal!!! I'm an English Lit grad too, and I can only hold claim to 2 1/2 of his works - A Tale of Two Cities, A Christmas Carol, and a few pieces in an anthology of Great Expectations.

As a fellow lit lover, I was wondering if you've ever read Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series? I love it, but I always am hesitant to recommend it to people unless I know they really know their lit (because I feel like it would be really confusing otherwise).
I haven't, no - but I'll certainly look it up in the library. I have a Book-Lover's Pageaday calendar which is throwing up some varied recommendations so far this year as well..!

My Countdown Counting down to: Celebrating our 10th Anniversary in the Happiest Place on Earth!
My Previous Trips1998 - offsite villa for 3 weeks on a big family holiday; 2006 - honeymoon, just me and my new hubby at POFQ; 2007 - first wedding anniversary holiday with hubby - back at POFQ again; 2008 Valentine's Day vacation with hubby - guess where? yes, POFQ!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyH View Post
Tinkerboo, I was NOT an English Lit major, but I did take a course in Dickens as an undergrad. This is what you need to know about Dickens; he got paid by the page. Most of his books were first published as serials. Due to this, his novels are A LOT longer than they need to be, IMO. It's not that they are "heavy", but they are wordy and he tends to repeat himself every few chapters (a recap of the last edition of the serial). I found that to be the most difficult thing reading his novels (the fact that I had to finish one every 3 days didn't help).
Ah, now I knew they were serials but had assumed that he would have been restricted to a certain word count...so that explains a lot! You're right about them being wordy (that's what I was thinking of, more than 'heavy') - it's real flowery descriptive language, which I do love but have to be in the mood for. I can't imagine having to finish one every three days - I'm 100 pages into The Pickwick Papers but am having to read it in short bursts or it overwhelms me a bit. I'm enjoying it though, which is the main thing!

Old 01-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerboo View Post
I haven't, no - but I'll certainly look it up in the library. I have a Book-Lover's Pageaday calendar which is throwing up some varied recommendations so far this year as well..!

I had one of those calendars a few yrs ago. I was introduced to some great new books through it.

As for Fforde - the first book in the series is The Eyre Affair. Hope you like it!

Old 01-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenMickey View Post
I thought I'd start a new thread for this year's reading. Please join me in posting your goal for the year and post as you finish your books.

My goal this year is 55 books.

#1. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
I loved that book!!! Hope you like(d) it too!!

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW March 2001 (off-site), August 2011 - ASMu
Sweets5 is offline   Reply With Quote