If I move to FL, where's the best place to live near Disney? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Making More Magic: Everything Else at Walt Disney World!
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Visitor

If I move to FL, where\'s the best place to live near Disney?

Hello; my husband & I are looking to move to Florida in 2009 and I am a rabid fan of Disney, especially Haunted Mansion & World Showcase. I'm sure many of you on these boards are residents of Florida and I'd like to know where you would recommend we move so we're close enough for convenient trips to Disney on a regular basis, but not so close we'll get caught in outrageous Orlando tourist traffic daily. My husband is a computer engineer, I'm an Admin and we have always rented. We'll be looking either to rent a home or buy if we can. My daughter will be starting her first year of college in 2009, hopefully at Savannah College of Art & Design.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
-Shelley B. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
midnightrose227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Re: If I move to FL, where\'s the best place to live near Disney?

I grew up in Miami and for a while I lived and worked in Orlando. I used to work in Windermere, which was real quiet and I liked it a lot, but that was YEARS ago, and I would bet money that it looks nothing like I remember (it's super-duper close to WDW).

You will literally have to get out a map and pick places to see, based on distance, etc, from Orlando/WDW. Figure that within a certain radius of Orlando/WDW, there will be traffic.

Do you like suburban or rural areas? It just depends on what your interests are. My roommate-from-college's parents lived in Eustis - very small rural area, lovely, not much there. They lived in the orange grove that they owned. I have no idea how that area down there is now; it could be totally grown with sprawl. If you have the chance, I would highly recommend one or more trips down to the central Florida area and just scout out the locations for yourself.

Do you want to live 20 minutes from Disney? 45? or up to 2 hours away?

You will have to decide what you can afford for a house/condo/apt., what type of community you are most comfortable with. And I think the only way to do this, is to just go!

Oh, and by the way, WELCOME! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
LisaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 1

Friends of mine moved down to Florida in 2004 and live in a fairly new town called Harmony which is about 25-30 minutes away from disney and about 45 minutes away from Melbourne Beach. It's very close to St Cloud. They love it down there and dd & I visited in 2005 and I loved it and would move down there in a heartbeat if I could.
krisk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Near Tampa is very nice
jimmymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
AKA Belle's Mom

Concierge Level: 6

My sister lives in Kissimmee off from Buenaventura Blvd and Boggy Creek. I have driven in that area a number of times and found NO problems with tourist traffic. There is the occasional senior on the road (but that is the case throughout Florida). As long as you stay away from 192 and I-4 near Disney/Universal/I-Drive you should be okay. There are some very nice apartment complexes around Orlando area. If you want to stay outside the Orlando area Lake Mary, Ocala (horse country) and Deltona are all very nice. I have friends or relatives that live in all three of those cities. My parents just built a house in Poinciana which is very nice. The house is in a retirement community called Solivita but it is only for those 50 and over. If you are over 50 it is a great place to live. If you have kids (or want to) you might want to stay out of Orange country. The schools are okay...but Osceola schools are MUCH better.
RobinKay6573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

I have a good friend who lives in Ocala FL and she loves it. I know the trip to Disney is short enough for them to have met us there just for the MNSSHP.
CarolinesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 7

My ex and his wife and kids are living in Hudson. It's really close to Tampa, but not a far drive to WDW. Depends on how far you are willing to drive to get there. They drive over about once a month or so, and it only takes an hour or so.
DH's uncle lives in Inverness, a straight shot over on the interstate - very laid back little town, but takes us less than an hour to get there from WDW.
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trailblazer

I would say that I would look into living a little further from Orlando if you don't like the traffic. I live 20 minutes from Disney and the traffic is a little much sometimes.

If it were me, I'd look into maybe Lakeland (between Tampa and Orlando) or even the Tampa area (bad traffic there too though). Ocala is nice, as well as Vero Beach.

Kelly
goofy4goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

My parents just bought a place in Celebration, they love it, love it and love it more! It is so beautiful there and only 5 miles to Disney (there is a direct road that goes there). They are sooo happy.

There is a website for Celebration

http://www.celebrationfl.com/
Aminspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

One of my friends lived in Celebration for a couple of years, and she loved it, too. I was so sad when she moved! From the parking lot of her apartment complex to the parking lot at MK was 8 minutes! The town is so quaint and cozy, however, that you'd never guess you were that close to all the action!
redsback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 2

This is a fun post to read, even if some of us only dream of living near WDW! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
ilovedisney0_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

[ QUOTE ]
This is a fun post to read, even if some of us only dream of living near WDW! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/yeahthat.gif[/img]

-Clay

PS: I am SO envious of you! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
cs
ClaySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trailblazer

Concierge Level: 2

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/yeahthat.gif[/img]

-Clay

PS: I am SO envious of you! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
cs

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/yeahthat.gif[/img] [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/love.gif[/img]
JaimeandChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

What about Sebring, Port St. Lucie, Palm Beach? They're a few hours away and nice.

I grew up on Sanibel Island and loved it. We were 3 hours from WDW and we visited the parks often.
LorinMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

I currently live in Boca Raton, it's about 3 hours and 15 minutes from Disney--but it's a little upscale if you know what I mean. I would recommend West Palm though, you could probably get to Disney in less than 3 hours!
Laughaholic is offline   Reply With Quote