Fun ways to tell the kids????? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Making More Magic: Everything Else at Walt Disney World!
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2001, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Fun ways to tell the kids?????

We are planning a trip in Feb. 02 with another family. None of the 6 kids knows that we're going, although a few of mine are suspicious. The other family have never been and the kids don't suspect a thing. We are trying to think of a real fun way to tell the kids. Any ideas?
patty c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
Re: Fun ways to tell the kids?????

How about a big PIZZA PARTY! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

You could make pizza's in the shape of Mickey's Head, Have balloons with Disney characters on them, make your own Dole Whips,...

Try to find the newest release Disney Movie to watch! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Maybe you can make each kid a travel bag filling it with items they may need or enjoy during their WDW stay and travel.

Bag ideas: sun glasses, chapstick, snacks, autograph book, large pen, pad & pencil, deck of cards, maybe a waist pack of their own, disney dollars, gum if they chew it as you can't purchase it down at the parks, actually anything else you can think of!
debe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you haven't already got one, order a planning video from Disney and show it to the kids. when they start telling you how much they want to go, surprise them with your announcement! Combine it with debe's pizza party idea and you will have one big group of happy kids!
Cruella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

I'm not sure how clever the kids are, but I would have absolutely loved it to wake up one morning and see all the bags packed and waiting by the front door. If your kids are a little suspicious already, you have to be very careful with packing their stuff, maybe right before they go to bed the night before. But hey, if you're going this far not telling them, why not take it all the way til the day ya leave, now THAT'S a surprise [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
-Brant
Brant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 12:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

As much fun as it would be to have the bags packed and everything...but for me half the fun of going to Disney World is to plan and think about it before hand!

I have always told my husband that he could surprize me someday and take me there again (we just went for my birthday last year) but he would have to get the same plan we had before, and he said it just wouldn't be as fun if I didn't get to plan every minute.

Give them some brochures on rides/restaurants, etc. Maybe then they could help you map out the exciting trip. Let each child pick a special thing they would like to do on the vacation. That would be fun for everyone and make each child feel like they had a significant part in the planning.

Have fun!
Karrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

I helped a coworker plan a trip to WDW, but she came up with this idea to tell her kids all by herself. She rounded the kids up together and told them that they were wanting to go on a vacation, but couldn't decide where. She told them she wrote the options on slips of paper and put them in a jar for them to draw a destination...the trick was that the destinations had to match in order for them to go. The jar really only had all Walt Disney World slips in it so a match was guaranteed, but the kids didn't know that. Also, she told them the destination options and included some real dives and not-so-fun places, even some places really nearby that they can to to anytime. The kids groaned as she told some of the ideas, and even said they'd rather stay home!!! As the kids drew, they couldn't show their slip of paper to anyone until all had drawn, then they were allowed to tell what each had on their slip...can you imagine the excitement each kid felt as they read WDW on their paper and had to wait until everybody drew to see if they matched? This idea could be combined with the pizza party and a planning party, too!! I think it was a great idea, don't you??? Carole
imported_Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

wadec-- I LOVE your idea!!! (or should I say, your coworker's idea?) In anycase, I haven't told the kids yet...I think I'll do just what you said...thanks for sharing!!!
kecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 09:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Wadec - that was a great idea your co-worker had for telling her kids about the trip. We're leaving for WDW on 6/17 and our sons (12 & 14) think we're going to Virginia. We live in PA and we'll be driving, so I'm trying to figure out a way to surprise them while we're on the way (I'm open to suggestions!). My DH says they'll figure it out once they realize we didn't stop in VA -- but my luck they'll both be sleeping or so engrossed with their Gameboys that they won't even realize that we've left the state -- plus, I'm not sure they'll figure it out since we've told them that WDW is just not in our budget right now. I think I might use your co-worker's idea...telling the kids it's filled with different things to do while we're in VA and have them draw slips in the car when we're near the border of VA. I really want to tell the kids now, because I'm having a hard time not talking about it front of them (not to mention, not talking about it in front of our 2.5 yo DS who won't be going with us -- he repeats EVERYTHING these days!), but due to a whole host of reasons, I realize it's best not to say where we're going until we're on the way.

I'd also like to add one more fun way to tell kids about the trip. A friend of mine took her family to Disneyland in Feb. The way she told her kids was that she made up a little "flyer" on her computer stating that they were taking a family trip to DL in February. She added a bunch of Disney clipart to make it really fun. Then she took that printout to a Kinko's and had it blown up to poster size. She mounted that to posterboard and then cut it up into several pieces to create a puzzle. She boxed and wrapped up a few pieces of the puzzle for each person (including herself and DH) and put them under the tree for Christmas. She made sure they all opened their pieces at the same time and then they as a family sat down and put the puzzle together. Due to her cleverly saving the "key" pieces for her and DH to put in last, the kids couldn't figure out the message until the puzzle was complete! Needless to say, the kids were thrilled and she was glad she only had to listen to "how much longer til we go?" for about 5 weeks.

One more comment (sorry, this is the only place I can "talk" freely about Disney) -- I have a friend who went to WDW with her DH & DS (age 10 at the time)a few years ago. They decided not to tell DS about the trip until they got up to leave for the airport the day of the trip. They got up the morning of their trip and excitedly told DS to get up and pack his bags because they were going to WDW. Imagine their surprise DS told them he didn't want to go to WDW because it meant he would miss school for 3 days. They had quite a miserable child on their hands until they actually got to WDW. Once they were there, he was quite happy to miss school for the trip! Ya just never know with kids.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

24 days and counting......

allgiggles
allgiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 09:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Wow, that idea with the giant puzzle is fantastic! Talk about suspense!
I did talk to a friend today and she told me what she did, at the end of one of her WDW vacation tapes a few years ago, at the very end a few seconds after the last shot, she made a generic "speech" while standing in front of Cinderella's castle that the family is going to Disney World. Whenever her kids watched the vacation videos, she made sure not to let them see the last scene, until a few months ago when she sat them down for a viewing of the old vacation tape and the "new" announcement. I can only imagine the shock her kids felt when Mom came on at the end AT Disney World with the surprise.
-Brant
Brant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 01:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all the GREAT ideas everyone! I think we'll be using several components of your ideas to make up a very special evening when we tell them.
Old 05-30-2001, 01:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Patsy-c, PLEASE tell us all about it when you finally tell them. It sounds like so much fun!
Janet 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 10:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 6

The last time we took our son (he was 8 at the time) we kept it a surprise from him until we left. We drove and didn't tell him until we were on the road. He didn't believe us until he started seeing road signs for other states! I still got to have the fun of planning everything, the hardest part was making sure all of the other people who knew (including his teacher) didn't say anything.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 04:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Community Rank: Visitor

We're surprising our 11 yr. old at his 6th grade "moving-up" ceremony in two weeks. I'm going to make a card aka superbowl style that says he's just graduated from sixth grade, what's the first thing your going to do? He open's the card and it says "your going to Disney World!" We leave June 30 th.
Can't wait. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]null[/img]
alihall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 07:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

I did this for Easter. Instead of a normal egg hunt for my 4 nieces & nephew I planned an Easter Survivor Island. They had to complete 10 "challenges"...like coconut bowling, tiki relay race, water torture test,etc. Notice the theme... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] it ties in with the ressies at the Poly. As they completed each challenge they got a clue for what their grand prize was going to be. The clues started very vague..a car because we're driving,a map, a pair of sunglasses, an orange, etc, etc until we got to the last challenge and the clue was a map of the MK. We leave in 70 days! Can't wait!! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
auntfrannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 12:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

Well, we told them! Beginning last Monday each family had a message delivered to their door late at night (helpful neighbors). The message said that an adventure was coming up and that the kids should patiently wait for clues. Every day for the next several days, a clue would arrive. One came in the mail, one mysteriously showed up in their shoes when they were bowling with a church-group. And at the swimming pool, the lifeguard blew the whistle at all 6 kids, had them come to the chair, and then handed them a clue. When we got together Fri. night with the other family they put their clues together to figure out that we were going to see the opening show of Atlantis! They thought THAT was the adventure! Then, during the movie they got a message in their popcorn, written in Atlantean, that told them to go to a certain restaurant. At the restaurant they received another clue which directed them to 6 locations around the city where 6 final clues remained. We spent the rest of the night getting the last 6 clues. Towards the end, we included Disney themes in the clues and at one sight they were given Tigger notepads and Micky pens. They asked "why is everything Disney?" but they had no idea what was about to come! Then, the last clue told the kids that they would find the adventure by looking at the Initials on the front of each clue. The initials on the front spelled WALT DISNEY WORLD. They went nuts! We got the attention of lots of shoppers - and the security guards too. We gave each child a book (WDW By Kids For Kids, and WDW 4 Teens) and now we're planning monthly theme nights to plan the rest of the trip. (We don't go till Jan. '02). First night will be MGM night - we're all dressing up as movie stars and letting everyone share what they want to do at MGM Studios. So now, you can put on your thinking caps and give your ideas for that evening!