Somewhat disappointed with Keys to the Kingdom tour - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Making More Magic: Everything Else at Walt Disney World!
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Thumbs down Somewhat disappointed with Keys to the Kingdom tour

I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour last week. I will not share the tour guide's name because I don't think she did a very good job. She did not have a lot of Disney "pep", just many facts that were delivered in a not so Disney way.
When we got to the Haunted Mansion, we stood and heard about everything we should look for on the ride (many, many things that no one could possibly remember) and then took the ride. We must have listened to her for about 10 minutes. I think I was able to pick out one or two of the facts she threw at us.
The part I was most disappointed in was the utilidor part of the tour. All we did was walk down 2 hallways and look/stop at each picture on the wall while she went on and on about the picture. We walked by the cafeteria, and hearing about that would have been better than what she offered!
A few days later we took the back lot tour at HS. I felt that parts of that were better than the KTTK tour.
The beginning of the tour was nice. She gave us the history of MK and I learned a lot about how detailed the planning was in building this park. It is amazing to me that some people are so creative!
For those of you who have taken this tour, please tell me that your experience was different. I would love to hear about other tour guides who were better at giving the tour goers the "magic" this tour deserves.
I am thinking about sending a letter to WDW to let them know about my experience.
Thanks
September 2009- Animal Kingdom Lodge- 20th Wedding Anniversary
August 2010- Graduation Celebration
January 2013- Birthday and Graduation Celebration
WDW1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
So sorry that you had that experience. I would seriously write to Disney and share your thoughts with them, as I'm sure they'd want to know. I know most people who go on it really enjoy it and it's such a shame you didn't.

In front of the Eiffel Tower during our weekend away in Paris.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.

My Countdown Counting down to: Boating around the Norfolk Boards
22 hours, 40 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 5 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy. Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Sorry to hear it wasn't a magical experience. I would definitely let them know!!!
My Previous TripsDisney has always been a part of vacations!!!
cdnmickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
This may have been a tour guide who finds details fascinating and hadn't the experience to realize that too much detail can be overwhelming for an audience hearing it for the first time.

I would write to Disney, too, and suggest that she be advised to balance out her presentation more, perhaps with some humor, so as to keep people's interest and attention better.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Nov. 2013--GF; WDW January 2010--GF; WDW July 2004--CR Tower/ DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984, Me DL 1969.
Her Dotness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

I would definitely send a letter with feedback. The only way the powers that be will know the castmemeber needs to be retrained in Disney magic is if they hear it from the people paying to take the tour!
Old 01-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

That's to bad. My parents loved their tour last year!
My Previous TripsWDW 1985, WDW 1989, WDW 1995, WDW 2007, Disney Wonder 2008, SSR 2009, AKL 2010, DCL 5 night cruise May 30th 2010. WDW Jan 2011. 6 days at Treehouses and 7 day on the Fantasy. Old Key West Nov 2012. Future trip 2013 Oct Treehouse Again
nurse_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Eileeeeeeen!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Legend

The guide can definitely make all the difference.

On my tour, I had a very tall CM named Jonathan. I will never forget how "the Disney Magic" practically bubbled up out of him. He was full of interesting facts, was personable, "read" the group for our energy level and interest, and constantly adjusted his approach to make the experience excellent for all of us.

Did you not have earpieces? On our tour, we had ear pieces to hear Jonathan without him having to yell to us. In the rides, he was able to whisper interesting bits of information into our ears. It did break up a little, but we could still hear him inside the ride. (It's possible the cell phone jammers they installed in many rides have now made the earpieces inactive.)

As for the utilidors, we only did the two corridors. It was the least interesting part of the tour, though it was the part I thought I'd look most forward to when I signed up. Afterwards, I realized it was sort of like having the curtain drawn to reveal the Wizard of Oz. It took all the magic out of the park for me, and I ended up being glad that part was quite short.

Eileen
PassPorter guide for Feasting and Snacking: The Eateries and Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans
My Previous TripsSometime in the 70's with mom; 1990 honeymoon; 1994 trip with brother; 2002 Dec - POFQ; 2003 May - ASMovies; 2003 Oct - ASMovies; 2004 May - Pop; 2004 Sept - AKL; 2004 Nov - PORiverside; 2005 May - Grand Gathering #1; 2005 Dec - Mousefest w/Karen; 2006 March - DLR w/Karen; 2006 June - Beach Club w/Karen; 2006 Dec - Grand Gathering #2; 2007 Feb DLR Girls Trip; 2007 Dec - Appetizer trip/Mousfest w/CLT; 2008 Jun - CLT+2 meet the Koenigs; 2008 Dec - CLQ Broken Ankle Tribute; 2009 Mar - Unclenching at POFQ!; 2009 June - Sweating with Friends; 2009 Dec - Sousefest09; 2011 Dec - 3 to a bed; 2012 Jul - Even Eileen! (DLR)
Caldercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

We did the tour in 2003, it was a lot of information I think I remembered the part about looking for Donald Duck and hidden mickey in parts of haunted mansion. The utilator part was dissapointing I thought it would be much more than it was. It did introduce us to harbor house where up until then we had never gone in. It was longer than my Dad was able to handle but he so wanted to see the utilator part he hung in there, it was his last trip so we wanted to do it special for him. We did have a great CM though. I dont know that we would do it again, I would love the one at Animal Kingdom though.
My Previous TripsHRP 90, 93,95,97,98,2001 ALL AT CB, 2002-WL. In 2003 WL,CB, CS 2004 CB,WL 2005 CB,BC/WL ,2006 PC,WL,PC, 2007 FW, PC, 2008-PC , SS, PC. 2009 Poly. PC ,WLV. 2010 PC,AKL. 2011 & 2013 WL.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldercup View Post
The guide can definitely make all the difference.

On my tour, I had a very tall CM named Jonathan. I will never forget how "the Disney Magic" practically bubbled up out of him. He was full of interesting facts, was personable, "read" the group for our energy level and interest, and constantly adjusted his approach to make the experience excellent for all of us.
This sounds like a born-communicator who just plain has a knack for gearing his presentation to the audience's response or perhaps a drama, broadcast or public speaking major.

Some people simply haven't the ability to "read" the audience's facial expressions and body language to gauge how interesting what's being said is and when enough is enough.

Also, to some extent, being able to do that can come from training and more experience.

(Sorry about the mini-lecture, but I used to be a speech teacher. We always spent some time in my classes talking about how much a speaker needs to think about your audience and to be watchful for signs that you've droned on too long, the audience isn't very interested or doesn't grasp what you're saying.)
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Nov. 2013--GF; WDW January 2010--GF; WDW July 2004--CR Tower/ DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984, Me DL 1969.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

I'm sorry you had this experience. We haven't done KttK, but we did the Family Magic Tour and I will tell you, I loved our tour guide so much that she could have been talking about the bathrooms in MK the whole time for all I cared and I still would have been completely hanging on her every word. She just really had that "Disney spirit"!

I think writing a letter would be a good idea. I did when we went on our tour, to praise our tour guide. Maybe your letter will either help them to teach your guide some better ways to interact with her tours, or find a position that she would be better suited for. Good luck!

Me and two of my loves

My Countdown Counting down to: WE ARE GOING TO BRAZIL!!!! (to root on the USMNT in the World Cup!!!)
55 days, 1 hours, 10 minutes
My Previous TripsVarious day trips WDW 1990-99; DL 1995; GF WDW Jan. 1997; POFQ WDW May 1999; AKL WDW Jan. 2002 (during which I became engaged at Disney Boardwalk); WDW most Fridays 2002; MNSSHalloween WDW 2002; ASMovies & all parks WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2006; CB WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2007; POFQ WDW May 2008; POR WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2008; WL WDW May/June 2009; POP WDW MNSSHP Oct. 2009; ASMu WDW & MNSSHP Oct. 2010; CSR WDW January 2011; DLR (Park Vue Inn) June 2011; ASMo WDW & MNSSHP Oct 2011; CBR WDW January 2012; DL Paris - Davy Crockett Ranch May 2012; Art of Animation & AS Sports, MNSSHP Sept 2012; CSR & MVMCP Nov/Dec 2012; Pop MK May 2013; ASMO MNSSHP Oct 2013
Ashli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Passenger

Some CMs are more experienced than others and some focus more on different things than another might. I love lots of details as well as question-and-answer sessions and that sort of thing. We were at WDW during Hurricane Jeanne some years ago. I had purchased a Silver plan which included a certain number of credits which could be used not only for meals but for tours. Because we lost a day and a half to the hurricane, unable to make all of our ADRs, we had extra credits so we signed up for three tours that trip. The Keys to the Kingdom tour was great, and the Steam Train Tour was even better. Both included lots of details. We also went on a tour in Epcot. The tour guide knew many details but he seemed nervous and had to ask questions of other CMs often. The tour was okay. Nothing to complain about but nothing to write home about, either. Later that day we saw our tour guide working in Future World, and he told us that morning had been his first tour ever.

Maybe your tour guide was relatively new at the role, also.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie22 View Post
We also went on a tour in Epcot. The tour guide knew many details but he seemed nervous and had to ask questions of other CMs often. The tour was okay. Nothing to complain about but nothing to write home about, either. Later that day we saw our tour guide working in Future World, and he told us that morning had been his first tour ever.

Maybe your tour guide was relatively new at the role, also.
Oh, wait a minute...I just re-read the OP and noticed that the disappointing tour was just this past week.

January is when many CM's are new to the job because it's one of the least-crowded times. We were at WDW in early January three years ago and were told when we rode the launch from Epcot to HS that a trainee pilot would be piloting with the aid of his trainer-pilot so please to be gracious if the ride was a bit unusual. There are many CM trainees on the job for the first time in January, the trainer announced.

I would guess that this tour guide might well have been giving her very first tour without a trainer accompanying her. Nervousness could well explain her packing in far more information than necessary as well as spending too long talking about various things.

If you write at all, I'd offer suggestions about how she might improve, keeping in mind that this likely was a first tour or among the very first she did.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Thanks for all the feedback. The CM let us know that she had been doing the KTTK tour for over a year. She also said that she had been working at WDW for a few years and told us where she had worked previously to being a tour guide.
We did have earpieces, and i wished she would have whispered to us on the Haunted Mansion, but she said she did not want to ruin the ride experience.
Although I did not enjoy this tour as much as I thought I would when I booked it, I have to say that the best part of the tour and of the trip was that I was with my daughter. It was a mother daughter trip of a lifetime and the disappointment of the tour will not take away from the fact that I had an awesome time and will always have this trip as a memory that can never be matched.
I was able to take this trip after saving up enough Disney Reward Dollars to pay for the entire trip and airfare. My wonderful husband supported us and although he would have loved to be a part of this he knew how special this trip would be for myself and my daughter.
:-)
September 2009- Animal Kingdom Lodge- 20th Wedding Anniversary
August 2010- Graduation Celebration
January 2013- Birthday and Graduation Celebration
WDW1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

I'm sorry you had a disappointing tour. I also think it's a good idea to write Disney a letter about your experience.
30 days, 15 hours, 10 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW June 1979, WDW 1985, WDW 1987, WDW Oct 2003, WDW March 2004, WDW Oct 2004, WDW Sept 2005--Pop Century , WDW Nov 2006--Pop Century, WDW Jan 2007--Pop Century, WDW Nov/Dec 2009--Pop Century, DLR Oct 2011
KMB733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
Your tour sounds a lot like the one I took in August 2010. I think a lot of it comes down to expectations. We didn't spend a lot of time in the utilidors although we did focus on art and pictures, plus some laundry issues. We also did not have any commentary during the Haunted Mansion tour, although we did get a bit more on the Jungle Cruise. (They turned on the lights in dark areas to show us more and I think they also gave us some insider tips on the attraction).

We had a good tour guide, but I know some of it I liked and some of it I didn't particulary care for. No one part of it stood out (other than getting a nice look at the park while it wasn't crowded), but afterwards I thought the sum was more than the parts.

Oh, detail. I think every person has a different desire for detail levels. Some remember more, some remember less. If not enough details are given some will get very bored, etc. I also support writing Disney, but as a customer service vet from the old days, please give details on what you thought was lacking and why. Management can then decide if they agree or not and it doesn't seem like an attack. Sorry, I'm a teacher - lecture over.
My Previous TripsWDW, POFQ last visit in 2011 - Candy Cane Inn at DLR in 2012. PopCentury and WL in 2013.

Last edited by Arnir; 01-30-2013 at 08:07 PM..
Arnir is offline   Reply With Quote