What would you do?
About This Page: This is a discussion on What would you do? within the Owning the Magic: Disney Vacation Club, part of the PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel; My husband and I are thinking of becoming DVC members. We are 98% sure we are going to do it ...
Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.
To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.
My husband and I are thinking of becoming DVC members. We are 98% sure we are going to do it but I heard a rumor that SSR is almost sold out and the next DVC location that will be available is AKL. We are planning on purchasing through Disney and seeing if we could get BWV or BCV but if not were going to settle for SSR but if AKL is next that would be great. What would you do? Would you buy at SSR to start and then purchase points in BCV and BWV as they become available or would you hold off your purchase for AKL? Do you think there is a chance Disney could get us BWV or BCV to start? Sorry it seems like a lot of questions but this is a big decision for us and were looking for words or advice from people with experience. Seems like your home resort is a pretty big deal if you like to plan in advance.
I'd also look at resale sites for BCV and BWI if it were my choice, and you don't sound really interested in SSR. I wouldn't count on the AKL DVC coming any time soon. As far as we know this is still a RUMOR, right? Besides, if you wait, prices are just going to get higher.
I'd buy into SSR, since home resort isn't too much of an issue unless you always visit during Easter and Christmas (i.e. Peak season). SSR is good through 2054, the others are good through 2042.. 12 more years of trips is more persuasive to me.... AKL is still just a rumor. We haven't had any trouble booking at non-home resorts at the 7-month window (Hilton Head in JULY - Peak season and BCV in late August). Good luck!
I agree with Rob. I bought in at Vero Beach when I joined because the annual dues were lower, and I was advised that the 7-month window was not a problem. Unfortunately, I got bit in the you-know-where because the hurricanes of 2004 and 2005 took their toll on Vero Beach and the dues went WAY up! But, I've almost never had a problem booking 7-months out, especially for a studio or one bedroom. And, those 2054 expiration dates are mighty tempting. Good luck deciding!
I'm with everyone else. I wouldn't wait to see if the Animal Kingdom Lodge rumour is true or not - it could take a long time before we know. There is also a rumour about one of the garden buildings at the Contemporary being converted into a DVC resort, but that rumour's been around for probably four or five years now.
I haven't heard anything yet about Saratoga Springs nearly being sold off and it's my guess that if it was, Disney would be shouting it from the roofs, warning everyone that they need to purchase soon or possibly miss out, as that's what they did when the Beach Club Villas got close to selling out.
If your heart is really set on either the Beach Club Villas or the Boardwalk, then I'd look at re-sale, but the extra 12 years on the Saratoga Springs contracts is mighty tempting and Disney usually have some pretty good offers if you purchase through them. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I also wouldn't wait - you can always add on points if AKL or Contemp DVC comes true.
The guide I met earlier this month, Susie - definitely said SSR is close to sold out... I took it to mean that which is built is almost sold out, my hubby took it to mean everything including construction in progress- pity we didn't get it clarified at the time.
Over on the DIS boards there was a thread and it looks like phase III of SSR will add 4 million points into the current system. Of course the same thread says SSR is nowhere near sold out and we were told differently about a week later... [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
But if the numbers are correct - I really believe buying where you want to stay in going to become alot more important than it currently is. Thats a lot more people who are also going to want to stay elsewhere potentially and compete with you for whats left at the 7 month mark....
And definitely consider resale - with disney getting ready to start charging closing cost it makes even more sense!
edit - found the thread in question, the math looks about right to me [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]:
Thanks for the link to that discussion - very interesting and the maths does seem to be about right in terms of how long it would take to sell out Saratoga Springs. I remember that the Beach Club Villas sold out in record time. I think that was in something like 18 months or two years, although I'm not sure, so the three years they were talking about is probably about right.
[ QUOTE ]
...I really believe buying where you want to stay in going to become alot more important than it currently is. Thats a lot more people who are also going to want to stay elsewhere potentially and compete with you for whats left at the 7 month mark....
[/ QUOTE ]
Today the smaller resorts like VWL and BCV are certainly much harder to book than they were 3 years ago. That fact is undeniable. But what will happen if DVC announces it's building 600 rooms at the Contemporary or Animal Kingdom Lodge? Such a development would change demand patterns all throughout the program.
For members (and potential members) who favor one resort above and beyond the rest, owning points at that resort is certainly important. Exactly how important it might be in the future is always subject to change.
Speaking as someone who really enjoys the variety the program has to offer and doesn't strongly favor one resort over the rest, I don't have a single regret over buying into Saratoga Springs. We agreed to buy in the Fall of 2003 when points were $79 each and we got the full 50 years of ownership. Contrast that with BCV owners who were paying $84 per point at the time and received only 39 years worth of ownership.
Those who are buying into DVC with the expectation of being able to book a single resort the vast majority of the time--and are consistently able to plan their trips more than 8 months in advance--should definitely make that resort their Home. Those who plan to take full advantage of the variety of the program would do better to look at the financial aspects--either SSR for the extra years of ownership or a resale at a resort like OKW for the lowest buy-in cost.
As for the number of points at SSR, there really shouldn't be any surprises given the total number of rooms being constructed:
While the point charts aren't identical, just looking at the number of rooms gives us all an idea of how SSR could potentially impact DVC. When complete, DVC will have grown by over 50% with the addition of SSR alone. That's tens of thousands of new members with access to the same 208 rooms at BCV per night.
It's too bad DVC didn't have the foresight to build larger resorts at BCV and VWL.
Getting back to the original question, I would definitely recommend buying something now rather than waiting. If DVC announced villas at the Contemporary (or AKL) tomorrow, it would still be at least 2009 before the resort was open to guests and you can bet it will cost at least $10-12 more per point (given recent price increases of $3-4 annually).
By waiting, you also may well end up with fewer total years of ownership. It wasn't until SSR opened that DVC moved to a later contract ending date than 2042. Those who bought into Old Key West shortly after its opening received a full 50 years of ownership--from 1992 to 2042. However, original owners in the Beach Club only received 40 years of ownership--2002 to 2042.
Given that precedent, it's likely that the next resort will retain the 2054 ending date currently offered at Saratoga. If our hypothetical resort opens in 2009, you'll not only pay $10-12 more per point but will likely get only 45 years' of ownership (2009 to 2054). Why not buy in at today's prices and get 48 years of vacations?!?!
I knew there was something I was missing in my logic. Thank you all very much. The additional years of ownership are certainly going to seal the deal for us. Although we would love BCV or BWV it's not that important and we are willing to take our chances at getting in 7 mons. out, and I'm sure if AKL does come to pass it will be at a significant increase in price per point. Better to buy in now then miss out on additional vacation opportunities. Thank you all again for your help.
We were able to buy BWV points directly from Disney a couple years ago. We worked with a DVC rep who watched for the points we wanted to become available, she notified us when they were, & we signed the papers. We love the location of BWV so it worked out well for us. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
We bought at SSR in January of 2004 and had I to do it over again, I would definitely have bought points elsewhere. SSR was still under construction so we unfortunately bought into it without ever getting to see it up close and personal. When we did get a chance to visit it after it opened, we didn't care for it at all. So far, that hasn't proved to be a major problem as we've simply booked to stay at other DVC resorts. However, the writing is definitely on the wall and it is going to become more and more difficult to book rooms at the other resorts at the seven month window (on our last trip the only resort available to us other than SSR was OKW and even then, we had to be wait listed for 4 of the days), particularly if there are a lot of DVC members like me who aren't too fond of SSR. We want to buy more points but those new points will be at one of the other DVC resorts.
My advice would be to check out SSR thoroughly first and make sure that you're comfortable with staying there before buying into that particular property.