Headed back to OKW - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Owning the Magic: Disney Vacation Club
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: DVC By Resale
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
Headed back to OKW

Well, we took a vote and the family voted on heading back to Old Key West for the 2013 vacation.

I really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere of the resort. There were plenty of places to just sit back and relax.

Most people are looking for a building close to the HH. (We stayed in Bldg 18 and had great access to HH, main pool, quiet pool, laundry/ice.)

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering what the Turtle Pond Road or South Point Road areas are like. We need to be near a laundry facility since we'll be in a studio this time.

Can you tell me anything about your experiences in either of these areas? We'll have a rental car, so getting around won't be a problem. TIA!

Scarfing down Chocolate Extinction at T-Rex
My Countdown Counting down to: Beach time and Mouse Time
Enjoying another Florida vacation
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsJune 2012 Disney Dream and BWV;June 2011 WL and Vero Beach; August 2010 AKLV;April 2010 Disneyland; August 2009 AKLV; April 2009 Disneyland; June 2008 AKLV; December 2007 SSR; June 2007 BCV; June 2006 OKW; June 2005 WL
WDWJAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

OKW looks lovely and Olivia's is fab. Hope you have a lovely trip.

My Countdown Counting down to: Sneaky extra trip home to Scotland
7 days, 17 hours, 24 minutes
Thomhazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Both are very nice areas. Some of the villas on South Point have water views and some are on the golf course. Turtle Pond has a variety of nice views too, but seem to be primarily golf course views.

Turtle Pond has a somewhat larger pool area with a snack bar that is open seasonally.

We like both areas equally. We just stayed in a South Point one-bedroom unit right on the golf course and it was peaceful and quiet. With a car you will have no problems "commuting" to the Hospitality area when you need to.

My Previous TripsFirst WDW vacation in 1981 @Contemporary Resort followed by numerous trips through the years to Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Beach Club, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside & French Quarter,All Star Sports, Fort Wilderness Cabins, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk, Disney Cruise in 1988, Bay Lake Tower and our beloved Home Resort Old Key West!
TinkWink57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Magic Happens!

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Legend

Honestly, I don't remember the section, but buildings 44 and 45 are our favorites. We had a 1BR on the second floor and it overlooked the canal. It was beautiful!

And all your wishes will come true....

"Never have an ordinary day."

2014 scrapbook pages completed: 13/150!
My Countdown Counting down to: Walking in Philly in 2014...doing it again!
60 miles? I can do that!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsVillas at Wilderness Lodge, October 2012
rescuesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Absolutely LOVE OKW. We were in a studio in Sept. near the Hosp. House. I did laundry one morning near the main pool,no troubles at all. (Love the tide packs)
We felt so at home,now we know why so many people love to return to OKW.
Say hello to the guys at Hanks rental,and don't leave without trying the shrimp and grits at Olivia's. you will not be disappointed.

"Life can be as easy as a fall,it's all so easy once you just let go."
My Countdown Counting down to: 2013 Vacation
My Previous TripsHoneymoon(after 14years!)2010 at AKL,Nov'11(First as DVC members),November'11 BLT,September '12 Old Key West,April 2013,a last min. Trip at the "Swolfin"
ChukkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

We also took a vote for our 2013 trip and OKW won. It was between there and Vero Beach. OKW is our home resort and we like it there. We always stay in the HH area. Olivia's is very good resturant and the pool area is nice. This will be our first trip to WDW without going into the parks and I am looking forward to it.
MichaelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelF View Post
We also took a vote for our 2013 trip and OKW won. It was between there and Vero Beach. OKW is our home resort and we like it there. We always stay in the HH area. Olivia's is very good resturant and the pool area is nice. This will be our first trip to WDW without going into the parks and I am looking forward to it.
You sound like you're on our resort rotation as Vero was our second place as well.

We will be headed into MK for the Fantasyland update and into Epcot "just because" on this trip, but we have a few off site adventures planned such as a manatee kayak trip on Merritt Island.

I'm looking forward to a quiet area. We certainly achieved that on Miller's Rd, so it's possible we'll just request the same area.

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsJune 2012 Disney Dream and BWV;June 2011 WL and Vero Beach; August 2010 AKLV;April 2010 Disneyland; August 2009 AKLV; April 2009 Disneyland; June 2008 AKLV; December 2007 SSR; June 2007 BCV; June 2006 OKW; June 2005 WL
Old 01-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wishing I was at WDW!

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 7
Claudine, we love staying in the Turtle Pond area! Both times we have stayed there we were in the buildings on either side of the quiet pool and snack bar. It is a very quiet area! The pool was never busy when we went. We went in June and November.
I don't know about the laundry situation. I have never used the laundry services at OKW.
If you wanted to, you can walk from the Turtle Pond area to the Hospitality House. It is a nice walk - especially in the evening!

Ann ~ Passporter Co- Guide for The Sunroom , Going Behind the Scenes, Making More Magic and WDW Feasting

My Countdown Counting down to: Zachary comes to Florida for Christmas!!
51 days, 10 hours, 54 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsChristmas 1971 first visit for our family, 1978 River Country and MK (honeymoon), March 1989 first WDW visit for my three sons, Jan. 1996 Poly, Jan. 2000 AS Sport and Disney Institute Bungalows ( now SSR), April 03 AKL, Aug. 04 Pop, April 05 AKL, Aug. 05 Pop and BC, April 06 WL, Sep. 06 POFQ, April 07 Poly, August 07 BWI, October 07 POR, Dec. 07 OKW. Feb. 08 CS, April 08 WLV, June 08 OKW and AKLV, Nov. 08 AKLV (solo trip!), Feb. 09 SSR, May 09 SSR (DoD tour - solo!), Oct. 09 BCV, Jan. 10 OKW for my birthday!, April 10 AKLV, Aug. 10 WLV, Dec, 10 WLV and ALKV., April 2011 POFQ, June 2011 AKLV Club level and Kidani Village, Nov 2011 OKW, June 2012 AKLV, Oct. 2012, CBR, April 2013, BWV, Oct. 2013 VWL, AKL Kidani Village May 2014, WL Aug. 2014, Art of Animation Oct. 2014
Luvsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

We have stayed next to the pool at turtle pond it was nice and quiet. don't remember if they have laundry there or not. I know there is laundry next to the main pool cause we have used it when staying in building 11 near HH

"Raindrops taste like tears without the pain"
1186 miles from Home
My Countdown Counting down to: OKW
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1976 WDW,2002WDL,2006WDW,2008WDW,2010WDW,2010Disney Wonder,2011 OKW,BLT 2012OKW 2013
kurtholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I'm thinking that we might just stay in the same vicinity since close laundry facilities is a top priority. Our boys would probably spend most of their time at the sandcastle pool anyway, so being close to that is a plus as well.

I'm looking forward to Olivia's crabcakes, quiet mornings at the resort, and lush tropical landscaping! (It was a balmy 19 degrees here today...)

My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

MMMMMM Olivias crabcakes, We also love the Olivias potatoes

Here is a map of the buildings we have stayed in 14,13,12,and 41

"Raindrops taste like tears without the pain"
1186 miles from Home
My Countdown Counting down to: OKW
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1976 WDW,2002WDL,2006WDW,2008WDW,2010WDW,2010Disney Wonder,2011 OKW,BLT 2012OKW 2013
kurtholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Congrats!!!

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

Follow me on pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/calmomslp247/ Follow me on twitter: pin collector@Mikethepinnut & follow store : Lamb's Collectibles@ColshopS http://stores.ebay.com/Collect-Stuff-Collectibles
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW POR July 2008; WDW BWV, AKV-J, SSR July 2009; WDW SSR,AKV-K,POP,ASM,BCV May 2010 WDW SSR, AKV-K, POP May 2012 WDW POP, AKV-K December 2012 WDW SSR, OKW May 2013 WDW POP, DCL MAGIC, OKW May 2014 WooHOO!
trixiedixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

I put dibs in for Bldgs 45 or 46 right on the canal. So beautiful and peaceful. We also had a car so being away from HH not an issue. Not sure about laundry.

My Countdown Counting down to: next WDW trip
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW numerous times in the 70's & 80's, WDW Jul 2003, WDW Jul 2005, WDW Nov 2006, WDW Sep/Oct 2007, WDW Apr 2008, WDW Dec 2008, WDW Apr 2009, WDW Oct 2009, WDW May 2010-SSR, WDW Dec 2010-WLV, WDW May 2011-SSR/WLV, DCL/WDW Nov 2011-Dream & OKW, Apr/May 2012 OKW, DCL/WDW Sep 2012-Dream & WLV, May 2013 AOA/OKW/Pop, Nov 2013 Fantasy & Pop, Apr/May 2014 DCL, POP, BWV, WLV, PORS, Sep 2014 DCL to Alaska & DL
stillgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote