Which DVC Resort to choose??? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Owning the Magic: Disney Vacation Club
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: DVC By Resale
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite DVC Resort
Beach Club Villas 11 23.40%
Bay Lake Towers 7 14.89%
Boardwalk Villas 15 31.91%
Animal Kingdon Lodge 14 29.79%
Saratoga Springs Resort 2 4.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Visitor

Concierge Level: 6
Which DVC Resort to choose???

I am planning a trip in September with my boyfriend, brother and sister-in-law. Brother & sister-in-law have never been. I have stayed at BCV a couple of times, Coronado Springs and Saratoga Springs. My home resort if AKL. I'm asking which people think is better DVC property. They all seem nice and the ones I'm looking between are AKL, BLT, BWV, BCV. I don't want where we stay to be a distance from the main lobby. Can you tell me which you prefer and your reasons why.
Tifrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Of the places you have listed I like AKL the best. Have you considered Old Key West?

"Life can be as easy as a fall,it's all so easy once you just let go."
My Countdown Counting down to: 2013 Vacation
My Previous TripsHoneymoon(after 14years!)2010 at AKL,Nov'11(First as DVC members),November'11 BLT,September '12 Old Key West,April 2013,a last min. Trip at the "Swolfin"
ChukkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would pick AKL

My Countdown Counting down to: Weekend in Perth with Graeme and Rory
Exploring Oz
Thomhazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
Of the four you've picked, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, as I think they're our top four favourites. If I had to pick, Beach Club or Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Enjoying time with my donkey boy on our holiday visit to Disneyland Paris. The trip report for our Italy road trip also continues.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.
My Countdown Counting down to: Our weekend away in Longleat
1 days, 5 hours, 39 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 8 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

I vote treehouses. But that would not be ideal for you if want near lobby. We love the resort for being close to DTD. And we love the treehouses for our "True"home away from home. No neighbors, no slamming doors, just complete quiet....
My Previous TripsWDW 1985, WDW 1989, WDW 1995, WDW 2007, Disney Wonder 2008, SSR 2009, AKL 2010, DCL 5 night cruise May 30th 2010. WDW Jan 2011. 6 days at Treehouses and 7 day on the Fantasy. Old Key West Nov 2012. Treehouses Oct 2013. Beach Club villas and Bay Lake Towers May/June 2014. Sept 2014 Offsite 4 days and OKW for 5. Upcoming Disney Wonder Feb 2015
nurse_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

We loved the Treehouses, but they are NOWHERE near the lobby.

We have stayed at AKL twice and I love Kidani. It has a great pool area and the bonfire cannot be beat!

DH, DW, DS18, DD12
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Cruise July 2013
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsPoly 3/1990, Poly 5/1992, CBR 4/1997, ASMU 5/1998, Cont 6/2000, Cont 2003, Cont 4/2005, Poly 7/2007, DCL Magic/SSR - Eastern Caribbean 3/2008, DCL Magic - Western Caribbean 7/2009, BLT 6/2010, Pop 11/2010, SSR Treehouse 4/2011, SSR 5/2011 (adult only), DCL Dream/AKL Bahamas 7/2011, SSR 4/2012, DCL Dream/AKL Bahamas 12/2012 (Girls Only), DCL Magic Mediterranean 7/2013, Pop 10/2013, BLT 4/2014, SSR 10/2014
pago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

My favorite is the Boardwalk - I love the location and the theming. My second choice would be Bay Lake Tower, as the location is absolutely amazing! Love them both. At the Boardwalk you should request a room near the elevator, and then you won't be far from the lobby.

Never stayed at Beach Club (will be there a couple nights in April). Same great location as the Boardwalk, but Boardwalk always felt more laid back to me than the Beach Club. We don't care much for AKL, and Saratoga is not really high on my list of places to stay. (We stayed there when it was the old Disney Village and were not thrilled with the location.) We also liked Old Key West quite a bit, and would love to return here.

Have a great trip!
Beth
My Previous TripsBWV/Disney Fantasy/BCV April 2013, Disney Magic NYC-Canada (20th Anniversary!) Sept 2012, BLT/BVW/Royal Pacific June 2012, BWV/Disney Dream Jul 2011, Universal/AKL/Disney Wonder Aug/Sept 2010, BWV/BLT Oct 2009, POR May 2009 (DOD), BWV Oct/Nov 2008, AKL Feb 2008, BWV/Caribe Royale Oct 2007, POR Feb 2007, BWV Nov/Dec 2006, Disneyland Paradise Pier Sept/Oct 2005, BWV Oct 2004, BWV Nov 2003, CSR Jan/Feb 2003, BWV Oct 2002, CBR May 2002, CR Oct 2001, Dix Lndgs May 2001, OKW Nov 2000, Dix Lndgs Oct 1999, Poly May 1998, WL Oct 1997, Dixie Landings Oct 1994, Disneyland (offsite) Jan 1994, POFQ/WL/Dis Institute Oct 1992 (honeymoon!), Poly 1991, Poly 1989, CR 1988, offsite 1987, offsite 1986, Poly 1984, Poly 1980 or 81, CR 1976, CR 1973
MBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

If you own at AKV you need to stay there at least once! we own at BCV and BWV.

that being said, one stay at AKV is good for us. If your guests are animal lovers and would love to look off their balcony and see zebras, giraffes, antoli cattle and many other animals, stay at AKV.

If not, my favourite resort is Boardwalk. love it much more than Beach Club, our other resort.

counting down to cruising' on the Dream & Beach Club Villas in 2015!
My Countdown Counting down to: BWV Feb 26, 2015
95 days, 15 hours, 9 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW First Time 1972, Offsite 1973, 1989, WDW Swan 1996, WDW Swan 1997, Disney Magic New Years 2000, & Port Orleans - IT WAS FREEZING! Offsite 2001,Caribbean Beach 2007, BCV 2008,BWV 2009,BCV 2010,BWV 2011 - our Disney Wedding Trip,AKV 2012,BCV 2013.
norm & linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

I vote for whichever one YOU like.

Look a photos. Read descriptions. Consider the theme and nearby amenities.

Don't rely on strangers to plan your vacation. We're probably crazy anyway.

tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'll go ahead and vote,but my recommendation would really depend on a lot of things.

The one I put at the bottom is Saratoga Springs. It's a long way from anything except Downtown Disney, and the rooms are often a VERY long way from the "lobby". Unless you have a car, I don't recommend it.

AKL is a wonderful resort for the resort aspect. In Kidani Village, you'd be more likely to be close to the main lobby, but you'll have to go to Jambo House for counter service. Plan on a LOT of travel time if you're visiting the parks though. It's one of the places I like to stay on non-park trips, because there's lots to do at the resort. But you really will spend probably 1 hour to 90 minutes a day minimum on transportation, even if you don't take breaks back at the resort.

Boardwalk has some rooms close to the lobby, but I personally like the end of hallway rooms there because there's less noise from passers-by. And you're close to Hollywood studios via the pathway. If points are more important than view, standard view rooms are a great deal at this resort. Given the make-up of your group, I'd expect EPCOT and the Studios to be the main parks. Both Boardwalk and BCVs are very convenient to each.

BCVs is a bit of distance from the main part of the resort. And as one of the smallest, it can be hard to get in there. You can't beat that pool though, and I really like all the nooks and crannies of space there. There's several small rooms with tables, where you can get a little alone time if the others in your party are driving you nuts, or just have different schedules than you. I often take my morning coffee down there and let the kids sleep in a bit.

Bay Lake Tower is the most convenient to MK (big surprise, huh). I really liked the atmosphere there, but you're a walkway away from the main resort, which didn't meet your note above. You do get excellent firework viewing though, which can be a plus. In my experience, the studio there felt smaller than the other set ups. If you're going with that type of room, I wouldn't recommend it for 4 adults. You will literally be tripping over each other.

Good luck!

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/92376707@N02/with/8396787250/#photo8396787250[img]
tkd lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have two personal favorites.

For the MK, I love BLT. I can walk to the MK and avoid the long wait for a bus or boat. I also love the great views at BLT and the fact that I can jump on the monorail and dine at the Grand Floridian or the Poly.

For Epcot/DHS, I love BWV. I can walk to both parks. I also love the rooms with a great view of the boardwalk and Crescent lake. For dining, there is tons right in Epcot or around Crescent lake.

Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

DVC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
I vote for whichever one YOU like.

Look a photos. Read descriptions. Consider the theme and nearby amenities.

Don't rely on strangers to plan your vacation. We're probably crazy anyway.
NO! NO! Pay no attention to that stranger. I'm your friend and the only place to stay is the Old Key West resort.

PS: of your list I'd take the BCV.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

My favorite is not on your list and that is OKW. As for the ones you list i would choose BCV. Its a nice upscales resort in a great location. My least favorite is AKL. I don't like the theme. I like more of a tropical or Floridan theme. I figure if I want to see animals I would go to the zoo.
MichaelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

If Epcot or Hollywood studios is your favorite, I would pick Boardwalk. I just got home from ALK last night. I wanted to love it, But did not and the housekeeping was awful.
My Previous TripsDixie Landings 1999, BWV 2001, OKW &BCV 2003, SSR&BWV 2005 OKW &WLV 2006 and BWV 2008, WLV2011, AKL 2013.BWV 2013
buzzspal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Love the Boardwalk.

Walk to two parks.

Walk to entertainment -- ESPN and Jellyrolls! plus the buskers!
JoeEpcotRocks is offline   Reply With Quote