Have you gotten an upgrade? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Owning the Magic: Disney Vacation Club
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: DVC By Resale
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Have you gotten an upgrade?

Reading someone else's post about getting an upgrade made me wonder...

In your experience as a DVC member, have you ever gotten an upgrade? If so, what was the upgrade and where were you? And, were there any special circumstance around why you might have gotten the upgrade other than just Disney magic? Such as, was it your anniversary? They were booked up in your category and had to move you to another room?...that sort of thing?

I'm just curious as to how frequently it happens.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's responses!

Celebrating Tokyo Disneyland's 30th Anniversary and DH's Birthday!
My Previous TripsWDW Summer 83, College Program 95, Off-site 96, Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea Aug 2007, May 2009, and June 2010, DL & CA May 2011, POFQ September 2011, Disneyland Hotel Dec 2011, Off-site DLR March 2012, Grand Californian May 2012, MiraCosta & Tokyo Disneyland Hotel December 2012, Tokyo Disneyland & DisneySea at Tokyo Bay Hilton May 2013
LizCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

At a DVC resort, no. Using points on a DCL. Yes, we went from cat 11 to cat 9. Connecting rooms, it was very nice.
My Previous TripsWDW 1985, WDW 1989, WDW 1995, WDW 2007, Disney Wonder 2008, SSR 2009, AKL 2010, DCL 5 night cruise May 30th 2010. WDW Jan 2011. 6 days at Treehouses and 7 day on the Fantasy. Old Key West Nov 2012. Treehouses Oct 2013. Beach Club villas and Bay Lake Towers May/June 2014. Maybe DVC member cruise??
nurse_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Concierge Level: 7
not really an upgrade..but.....we were at BWVs during Hurricane Charlie staying in a studio. On Saturday morning (day after hurricane) I called the airport and was told that it was open. We checked out and we out to see the damages. We were on a friendship boat crossing over to Y & B when I got a called from the airport informing me that they were closed...no flights at all. I was given a number to call. We went back to BWVs. The airport wasn't opening up again until Monday and we got a flight out then...as I was on the phone with the airport my DD was in line to see if we could get a room for the night....I let her know we needed 2 nights. We were given a 1 bedroom. I don't know if it was because she was crying so much (18 year old drama queen) or it was just what they quickly found. There were crowds in the lobby and those that were DVC members were given rooms first....
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1996 Polynesian ( our 1st trip..25th anniversary..ours and WDW)_1997 Polynesian_1998 Grand Floridian_1999 Grand Floridian (became DVC members BWV)_2000 BoardWalk_ 2002 Polynesian_2004 BoardWalk (August & November)__2005 BoardWalk_2006 BoardWalk__2007 Old Key West (July) BoardWalk (November)_2008 Old Key West (Jaclyn and Brett..Engagement)_2009 Old Key West_2010 Animal Kingdom (Jaclyn & Brett...Honeymoon)_2011 BoardWalk_2012 Bay Lake Towers (Luke's 1st trip)_2013 Bay Lake Towers
rella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
Nope. Never got an upgrade. I think it's because I'm usually traveling solo and they probably wouldn't "waste" a larger unit on just one person. It's ok! If I really wanted an upgrade (like a better view) I'd probably have given in and just booked it. I do love reading about people getting upgrades, though.

My Previous TripsMost recent WDW trip 2/14; Most recent DLR trip 7/12; Most recent DCL trip 7/12 Alaska Wonder
lauriep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

Concierge Level: 6
I heard about two couples getting upgraded to a 3-bedroom Grand villa at BWV for one night before. I believe the report I read said they'd used their points for a 2-bedroom for that one night. One couple left the next day and the owners stayed in the 1 bedroom they'd reserved after that for the rest of their trip.

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum
HiddenMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

When we stayed at Bay Lake Dec 2011, we had 1 night booked in a 1 bedroom lake view since the rest of our party would be arriving the next day and 7 nights booked in a 2 bedroom mk view. Not long before the trip I went on our reservations and found that they had put us in the 2 bedroom mk view for the entire 8 nights without using any additional points. So that to me was an upgrade. I don't think dvc upgrades happen often. It may be when you have maybe 1 night booked in a room that they know someone else is after to complete their stay, so they switch you around.

Sammy 5 years and Peyton 15 months - September 2013

poohbr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Never have I gotten a DVC upgrade, and I've been staying at DVC since early 2001 three or four times a year.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Never. We have been a members since 1993 and we go at the very least once year, but usually make it 2-3 times. A DVC upgrade is extremely rare. If there is an upgrade it's usually because of some type of maintenance issue, and your room category is not available, not pixie dust.

Grandkids- Ian and Stella
My Countdown Counting down to:
My Previous TripsMore trips to the World than I can count
DVC393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
Never in all the times we've used points. As I understand it, upgrades for stays on points are exceptionally rare.

Enjoying formal night on the Magic on our magical Mediterranean vacation - the trip report for our Mediterranean cruise is now underway. The trip report for our weekends in Scotland for the Commonwealth Games continues.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.

My Countdown Counting down to: A day out in London
3 hours, 6 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Timeshares are designed to be at full occupancy pretty much year-round. That's a big part of the reason that upgrades do not happen.

Disney's cash resorts average 80-85% occupancy, which means even lower rates during slow periods. That leaves dozens of vacant rooms at each resort on any given day which could potentially be used for upgrades. Additionally, it's a common practice on cruise ships and hotels to overbook cheaper categories and give free upgrades.

Where DVC is concerned, it's not just an availability issue but also a philosophical one. Every guest who spends 15 points for one Studio night should get a Studio.

Exceptions typically occur only when maintenance issues arise. A small number of rooms are held back for maintenance purposes. But those rooms do not normally encompass all villa sizes and views. If a resort has 100 guests booked into a One Bedroom villa and only 99 are suitable for occupancy, someone will probably be upgraded to an available Two or Three Bedroom villa.

Normally those with the shortest trips receive the upgrades. If a One Bedroom villa is pulled out of service to clean the carpet, there's no reason to upgrade a guest who is about to begin a week-long stay. They are only short a room for one night. The timing of guest arrivals can play a role in decisions but most upgrades are given to those with just one or two night stays.

There is no "pixie dust" involved. Those celebrating birthdays or anniversaries are not more likely to get an upgrade. Upgrades are given ONLY when absolutely necessary.

tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Concierge Level: 1
We rec'd an upgrade one time at WLV. We had been booked in a studio and ended up with a accesible room. Not a big deal except our kids were small and we needed a bathtub - and there was only a shower. Also, my son was too short so he had to stand on something to reach the potty - not fun for a long stay. We had to check out of one room, store our things with bell services and wait for a room to be ready at 3-4pm. Not the best situation, but doable. When we got back from the park to check into our new studio we were given a 1 bedroom. I suspect it was because they didn't have any more studios. But, whatever there reason, we were .

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsNov 1998 (ASMu), Nov 2000 (POFQ), June 2002 (ASMo, WL), Dec 2002 (WL), March 2003 (POR), August 2003 (ASMo), March 2004 (POFQ, WLV), June 2004 (POFQ, BCV), Sept 2004 (Swan), Dec 2004 (ASMu), March 2005 (PC, BCV), March 2006 (CBR, BCV), July 2006 (AKL), Dec 2006 (POR, CBR, OKW), March 2007 (HH), March 2008 (CS, BCV), Dec 2008 (POR, BWV), March 2009 (HH) March 2010 (AKV, BCV), Dec 2011 (BCV), July 12 (HH), June 13 (BCV) Upcoming: Dec 13 (BCV)
Luv2golf is offline   Reply With Quote