Brazilian Tour Groups - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

FREE Shipping & 50% Off E-Books!
FREE MediaMail Shipping on domestic orders in the PassPorter Store until midnight, April 21, 2014. This is a great time to order a new 2014 edition of PassPorter's Walt Disney World guidebook!

You can also save 50% off any of our 15 e-books with code easter!

Details at http://www.passporterstore.com/store/images/freeshipping.jpg

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans for Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Mouse Fan Travel™
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2001, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Brazilian Tour Groups

I have heard comments here & there about the Brazilian Tour Groups. I even had a CM tell me that they all try & put in for Vacation time during those times. Has anyone experienced these groups? Also when do they Happen? I heard July. Does anyone know what weeks these groups Tour & how bad does it Get?
coffeechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Re: Brazilian Tour Groups

Well I think this is one reason why my mom doesn't want to go back. They were there when we were one day in 1981 and it was not pleasant.

On the other hand, they were staying at All Star Sports with us this past December. I had no problem with them in the parks, but they were basically running amok in the hotel at night (running up and down the hall way and pounding on doors). I don't necessarily blame them, I blame whoever should have been supervising them.
bfth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Tourist

Ditto.. We had the same problem July of '98. The kids in the groups looked like they were having a great time. However, they did not make the other guests any too happy. We were in line for Body Wars and a group of about 50 kids jumped the rail and rushed in ahead of us. I realize they are kids but after a long wait, its really hard to keep that in mind. In all the other places we encountered them they were rude and oblivious to anyone else around them but when your in the happiest place on earth its hard to stay aggravated [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Buzzlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi coffeechef! Sorry to report it's not just July. In Feb. of '99 we encountered several groups. A CM told us that in their country the rich do whatever they want and are never challenged by the other elite members of society, however, if someone in the same class challenged them they would back down. Well, I'm not rich, but I was fed up! The next time a small group tried to cut in front of us in line I firmly but politely said "Wait your turn" and stuck out my arm so that couldn't pass. I did this about three times. Other strangers in line did the same thing. The Brazilians stormed off and went to another attraction muttering something that I'm probably glad I didn't understand. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
patty c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6

Brazilian Tour Groups......... We have had several unpleasant encounters with these tour groups in the past, and I must say the last several times I have gone down, the kids have been more behaved.

The reason for the change in behavior lately.... Walt Disney World now requires them to sit through a class on appropriate behavior during their stay at WDW.

Apparently in their country agressive behavior is more acceptable. Every culture is different [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]... They don't always understand our ways nor do we always understand theirs. Probably if we were to visit their country, they would find things that we do unacceptable to them [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

So when you are down at WDW, try to remember these people are from another country with different cultural backgrounds. They are not intentionally trying to be disruptive they are just trying to have fun in the only way they have known (just like you and I) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
debe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

The BTG's, from my experience, peak in number in early July. Debe is very right in the advice to be aware of the difference in cultural behavior, but it has a lot to do with a large group of poorly controlled teens doing their best to survive in a strange and foreign place. When seventy-five teenagers get together with only a few chaperones, despite what nation they come from, feelings of power and disregard for others do come through. The best remedy for thes huge groups is good touring habits. You'll usually encounter them midday, so see all the major attractions early or later in the day. If you feel you might be bothered at your hotel (usually All-Stars), request an upper level room for less noise, the pool is usually the craziest area.
Oh, and if you get a chance to see a group singing and chanting, step to the side and have a listen. It's loud and offkey, but very interesting [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
-Brant
Brant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Recovering VMK Addict!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Explorer

We had fun 2 summers ago with the teens. While in lines they taught my nieces some patty-cake games and songs. Yes they were loud but they were fun. Never once were we cute in front of by this group.

Also, the Brazilian economy has slowed, therefore there will probably be less tour groups again this year.
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 10:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for ALL the responses. I live & work in a large College town, so I am familiar with large unsupervised Groups of Teens.Half the reason Town & Gown committes exist. I am Happy to hear that Disney has done something to help with the Orientation to make their stay, as well as everyone elses more enjoyable.( including CM's) Having fun is one thing, being considerate of others is another.
coffeechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 11:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

One other thing that I found helpful was learning a few key words in Portuguese. Obrigado - "thank you" is the only one that I remember, but you might want to pick up "Excuse me" and "I was here first" or something similar. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That way, you might not feel so powerless in the situation-you can sort of communicate. And who knows, you might have a flair for Portuguese!

Also, many of the Brazilians will understand Spanish and possibly English, although I ran into a few people who only understood English when it was convient for them. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] For the most part, our difficulties with Brazilians came with cultural differences. i.e. Personal space differences, queueing differences, etc.

Good luck, and usually by August, it's all over.
Hayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 06:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Had to stick my nose in on this one. When my boyfriend and I were there in Dec. There were a couple of BTG around the parks. We didn't have a problem with the kids, but with their advisors. During the shows, the kids would be watching and enjoying, and it seemed as if it were the advisors that would get somewhat loud and rowdy. I totally understand cultural diffrences, but I think an adult in charge of younger kids should act like an adult. No matter what their background is. Just my 2 cents. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
peterfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 07:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

I'm with Debe.

Usually, the kids in the BTG's wind up cooing over our daughter and talking to her animatedly in Portuguese.

Vive le differance!
shooter364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 08:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Faith, Trust, Pixie Dust
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 7

We were there in DEC 2000 also and experienced very aggressive line cutting, loud & unruly bus rides, pushing, shoving, and a lot more that I would not catagorize as "typical teenage behavior". Thank goodness the BTG were not staying in ASMOVIES, I think that would have been awful...as it was, we had girls drill teams staying there, and although they did not cause a problem at night with noise, for some reason, it seemed to be "OK" to come out at 5:30 am and practice their drills, complete with shouting their routines, and screaming when they were finished...the adult leaders were there and seemed oblivious to the disturbance it caused guests. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
DebiDebiDebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 09:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

Deb! We were there then with the Brazilian teens and the cheering groups! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] This is what turned us off the All Stars. Not the resorts, but the people that stay in them.

As I said before, I have no problem with the teens (whether they be Brazilian, Mexican, Ethiopian, Martian -- whatever!), I have a problem with chaperones who do not do their job. I can understand their enthusiasm and the overwhelmingness (is that truly a word?) of being in WDW, but even with cultural differences, adults in the group should make sure that some semblance of courtesy is adhered to.
bfth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 01:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Since 1993, we have been going to WDW in July, so we have had many experiences we the BTG. At first, we found it annoying the way they cut in line at restaurants and in line for rides, but the last couple of years we have found it adds more than detracts from our WDW experience. Their excitement for WDW can be contagiuous. For example, the BTG were at e-night when we were there last year, and did the usual loud chanting thing. Rather than pout and complain, a bunch of Americans started signing and chanting in English. I joined in with this, and soon everybody was having fun.
Also, the line cutrting can be a source of entertainment as well. When the BTG are at WDW the same time we are, we try to look for the most creative line cutting of the day. Let me tell you, the BTG are pretty good at it! We saw them sneak into Space Mountain once through the sevice door. I've been going to WDW for years and never noticed this way into Space Mountain, but the BTG found it in seconds! One of them poked their head in to see if the coast was clear, then they all came pouring in. Annoying, yes, but also pretty funny! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, the important thing to remember about WDW is that everybody is trying to have a good time in their own way. You have two choices: you can complain about the way everyone else is chosing to enjoy their vacation, or you can loosen up, smell the roses, and try to have a good time yourself!

Sorry for the long-winded reply. Just one tigger's opinion! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jacquelyn
tigger536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 03:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have been to WDW in July many times and encountered the BTG. I didn't notice the cutting in lines, but it's probably because we somehow avoided them. Their chants are cute even if they are loud, but the loud part is what comes in handy. You can usually hear them coming from a mile away and it made it easy for us to go in a different direction.
klee is offline   Reply With Quote