Why is Disneyland so expensive??? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans for Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Mouse Fan Travel™
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Why is Disneyland so expensive???

We were thinking of taking the kids to Disneyland next summer. My mom has a house in Palm Springs....so we would stay there and for a few days visit Disneyland. I couldn't believe the prices of the hotels and for parks that are smaller than WDW I was floored. Can anyone explain to me why the heck they are soooooooooo expensive?? I was looking at just a couple of days and prices were in the thousands for just a couple of days!!!!! We go to Disney World for that for a WEEK or more!!!!!

Please help me understand!!!!!!!!!!!
My Previous TripsDisney has always been a part of vacations!!!
cdnmickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

One reason is that the cost of living is a lot higher in California than it is in Florida, as a result the hourly CMs are paid more in California (I know this by experience)
There are only 3 Disney-owned resort hotels, ranking Grand Californian as the top of lthe line, than the Disneyland Hotel and third, Paradise Pier and therefore less rooms available, so the supply and demand factors in. There are several hotels outside of Disneyland that are within walking distance and are considered "Good Neighbor" hotels. I have no experience with these as we always only stay on Disney property. If you look in this forum in the Disneyland message boards, there is some information about them.

You'll also find the prices of the food items are higher in the Disneyland parks than in WDW, about a dollar more per counter service entree like cheeseburger and fries. Last year, my DH and I bought the throws at the Emporium in WDW, and when we went to Disneyland, they were also a couple of dollars more.

I usually book our rooms for Disneyland only when they are running specials, as they are running from now to September, for 40% off when you stay at least 2 nights, for example we are staying at the Grand Californian next month in a standard room for about $270 per night (plus tax) plus a daily resort fee, which includes self-parking and free internet; valet parking is an additional $17 per night. Most couthern California hotels do charge for parking, although you will occassionally find one that doesn't.

We have Annual Passes and that is one thing that is cheaper than WDW, but then again WDW has 4 parks, Disneyland Resort, just 2. When we didn't have the APs we bought our 3 day passes from AAA, and the cost was a little less than if we bought them at Disneyland.

PM me if you have any specific questions, I might be able to help you with.
AGentlRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you stay off property, it's a lot cheaper. I've stayed off property, literally right across the street from DLR--not even a mile to walk, and paid around $50 per night. It's best if you stay during off season--like after Labor Day. The crowds are much lower, and pricing is more reasonable.
My Previous TripsWDW: November 9-15th 2003 *HoneyMoon* ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~ DLR/DCA: Sept 5th-9th '05 (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.) WDW: Dec 8th-18th '07 Pop Century DLR/DCA: Nov 20th-22nd '09 (Magical Gathering/Party of 12)
LoriMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

We've stayed off property. Several hotels are across the street from DL. Infact, we got there faster when we stayed at the non-disney hotel vs. when we drove and parked in the disney parking lot and had to wait for the tram. I love disneyland. I agree with the cost of living. It's very high in california. I love how close DL & DCA are together. It takes us less than 5 minutes to walk between the two.
Addison, born 10-1-10
My Previous TripsWDW 1994, July 2010 Disney Land 1992, June 2003, May 2009 Silverwood Theme Park August 2006, July 2007 Yellowstone August 2006
trr3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
I don't know why it is - but I can tell you that it's exactly the same issue with Disneyland Paris. We met people there a couple of weeks ago and what they were paying for a family of four for four nights, they could fly to Orlando and stay in an offsite villa for two weeks for that money, so it's not only Disneyland.

In front of the Eiffel Tower during our weekend away in Paris.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.

My Countdown Counting down to: Boating around the Norfolk Boards
Out on the water!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 5 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy. Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

Concierge Level: 7
In addition to the reasons given, I would also guess that it costs more because you won't spend as much time in the parks and resorts, therefore you won't spend as much money in the restaurants, on snacks, souvies, etc.

Think about how inexpensive it is to add day 6, 7 , 8 to your admission. Think about why Disney offers DME for free. The more time you spend at the parks and resorts, the more money you'll spend.

Edited to add that I meant at WDW in that last paragraph.

My Countdown Counting down to: A Very Merry Christmas Trip
Ho ho ho -here we go!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW May 1995 ASSports, WDW Oct. 2005 ASMovies, WDW Aug. 2007 Pop, WDW April 2009 WL, WDW Aug. 2010 WL, DCL August 2011 Alaska, WDW April 2012 AKL-Jambo, WDW August 2012 Beach Club, WDW April 2013 AKL- Kidani, August 2013 AKL-Kidani, August 2013 DCL Western Caribbean on the Fantasy, December 2013 WL

Last edited by HollyH; 06-22-2010 at 10:40 AM..
HollyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
RED SOX NATION!!
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 7
We're going in a few weeks and staying offsite for 4 days. Hotel will be $500, park tickets about $700, and then food and souvenirs. Staying onsite was just too much money that I wasn't willing to spend!

Marnie - PassPorter Co-Guide THE FAMILY ROOM , DISNEY WORLD TRIP REPORTS and GLOBETROTTING TRIP REPORTS

The Disneyland, San Diego, and Vegas oh my! Trip Report

The Trip of a Lifetime - Alaska Land and Sea - Trip Report

Non-Creative Title Spring Break Adventures Trip Report

A Whirlwind Trip to Arizona/Utah and the National Parks - UPDATED 9/27!

My Countdown Counting down to: Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands
Hiking around the National Parks
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsAPR '12 - POFQ, JUL '10 - DL, AUG '09 - DCL Western, AUG '08 - POFQ/BC, AUG '06 - AKL/BC/DisneyWonder/Poly, DEC '05 - AKL, APR '05 - AKL/BC, DEC '04 - AKL, MAY '04 - AKL/BC, MAY '03 - WL/BC, MAY '98 -offsite, MAY '94 - BC, AUG '85 - Poly, AUG '83 - Poly, AUG '81 - Poly, JUL '79 - World Inn, JUL '76 - World Inn
Colexis Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
Community Rank: Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGentlRose View Post
One reason is that the cost of living is a lot higher in California than it is in Florida, as a result the hourly CMs are paid more in California (I know this by experience)
There are only 3 Disney-owned resort hotels, ranking Grand Californian as the top of lthe line, than the Disneyland Hotel and third, Paradise Pier and therefore less rooms available, so the supply and demand factors in. There are several hotels outside of Disneyland that are within walking distance and are considered "Good Neighbor" hotels. I have no experience with these as we always only stay on Disney property. If you look in this forum in the Disneyland message boards, there is some information about them.

You'll also find the prices of the food items are higher in the Disneyland parks than in WDW, about a dollar more per counter service entree like cheeseburger and fries. Last year, my DH and I bought the throws at the Emporium in WDW, and when we went to Disneyland, they were also a couple of dollars more.

I usually book our rooms for Disneyland only when they are running specials, as they are running from now to September, for 40% off when you stay at least 2 nights, for example we are staying at the Grand Californian next month in a standard room for about $270 per night (plus tax) plus a daily resort fee, which includes self-parking and free internet; valet parking is an additional $17 per night. Most couthern California hotels do charge for parking, although you will occassionally find one that doesn't.

We have Annual Passes and that is one thing that is cheaper than WDW, but then again WDW has 4 parks, Disneyland Resort, just 2. When we didn't have the APs we bought our 3 day passes from AAA, and the cost was a little less than if we bought them at Disneyland.

PM me if you have any specific questions, I might be able to help you with.

Cost of living, supply and demand (fewer resorts) are the main reasons.
lukeandbrookesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Take Cali's taxes into consideration as well.

Previous Trips:
POR, June 07
CBR, June 05
My Previous TripsWDW June 2005
Bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Everything seems more expensive in CA. When we go to DLR we consider it a luxury vacation where we can walk to the parks.

Fun at Jambo House
My Countdown Counting down to: Christmas in a Treehouse
247 days, 20 hours, 17 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDLR '82, WDW '89, '91, '95. POR'97,DLH'03, DLH'06, OKW Jan. & SSR June '08 VWL March 09, BWV Jan 10, VWL March '11, Branson MO June 2011, DLR Sept 2011, Tree House Adventure & Harry Potter Birthday Bash June 2012! Haunted Mansion holiday DLR Oct 2012, ASM & AKL June 2013, BWV Spring Break 2014
Kynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
When you wish upon a star

What's this?

Community Rank: Globetrotter

Concierge Level: 6
Price out a package in a Good Neighbor. We go for 4 nights, 5 days, 4 day hopper annually and we pay nowhere near what we pay for WDW. Aside from the cost of living, etc. that have been cited, you're basically pricing at a deluxe level if you're only looking at DLR properties. So, you have to compare apples to apples - how much would a week at AKL cost you, not POP.

DLR is very different from WDW and should not be compared except in the most basic ways. It is smaller, there is no emphasis on getting people to stay on property, there is not the draw of restaurants, etc. DLR is in the middle of an Anaheim neighborhood and most people who visit will also visit other LA attractions like Hollywood, Universal, Knotts, the beach, etc.

To say that because DLR is smaller it should cost less is not taking into account other factors. They are not the same entity and each prices according to its market. And, again, make sure you're pricing apples to apples....

Disneyland - Dec 2011

Heather
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDLR 1976, DLR 1981, DLR 1985, WDW 1988, DLR 1992, DLR 1993, WDW 1995 All-Star Music, WDW 1998 (Honeymoon) All-Star Sports, DLR 2000-2010 annually, WDW 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge, DCL Wonder 2007, WDW 2009 Pop Century, DCL Magic 2009, WDW 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter
HeatherD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman View Post
Take Cali's taxes into consideration as well.
While CA has the highest sales tax rate in the country (8.25%), Florida also permits counties to raise a "tourist development tax" of up to an additional 6% on hotel rooms. For WDW that is 12.5%
lukeandbrookesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Eileeeeeeen!™

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Also, the resorts on DLR property are equivalent to WDW's deluxes. If you want to pay more like the "moderate" or "value" prices, you'll definitely need to stay off site. (But that can mean right across the street at DLR!)

Eileen
PassPorter guide for Feasting and Snacking: The Eateries and Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans
My Previous TripsSometime in the 70's with mom; 1990 honeymoon; 1994 trip with brother; 2002 Dec - POFQ; 2003 May - ASMovies; 2003 Oct - ASMovies; 2004 May - Pop; 2004 Sept - AKL; 2004 Nov - PORiverside; 2005 May - Grand Gathering #1; 2005 Dec - Mousefest w/Karen; 2006 March - DLR w/Karen; 2006 June - Beach Club w/Karen; 2006 Dec - Grand Gathering #2; 2007 Feb DLR Girls Trip; 2007 Dec - Appetizer trip/Mousfest w/CLT; 2008 Jun - CLT+2 meet the Koenigs; 2008 Dec - CLQ Broken Ankle Tribute; 2009 Mar - Unclenching at POFQ!; 2009 June - Sweating with Friends; 2009 Dec - Sousefest09; 2011 Dec - 3 to a bed; 2012 Jul - Even Eileen! (DLR)
Caldercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

I had wondered this too but it makes a lot of sense when you compare it to the deluxe resorts. Thanks everyone! Now I know to just stay off site.
nconover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

being a dvc member it is about the same price at dl or wdw
BWV- 2005 Steven's 6th Birthday\DVC Member since 2003-BCV 2005 SSR\POLY,BWV,SSR,VWL,DCL,AND BCV-2007\ BWV & Cabins-2008\ Disneyland 2009\ Disneyland & Disneyworld- 2010 wdw. universal.vero beachand disney dream aug 2011. wdw 15yr anny june/july 2012
My Countdown Counting down to: 4 nite Vero Beach Resort, 5 nite BLT, 4 nite BWV. Our 15th Wedding Anniversary!!!
By work!!! We are out of here!!!
My Previous Tripsjune 27 2012 disneyland 6 days wdw 7 days
tigersprinkles is online now   Reply With Quote