Should we wait another year?!
About This Page: This is a discussion on Should we wait another year?! within the Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans for Walt Disney World, part of the PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel; Here's the situation. We went to Disney World in 2010. The spring before we went we started looking at houses ...
Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.
To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.
Here's the situation. We went to Disney World in 2010. The spring before we went we started looking at houses in a town about an hour south of where we live now. We need a larger home and we want to get closer to our families which are currently 2 hours away. We've looked.... and looked... And two years later still haven't found one that really is what we want..... So... we found a great deal on a 3.31 acre lot and bought the land. Our current house is in negotiation to be sold and we should find out by Wed. So we will be moving to a rental house for a year. Because the builder we want can't build us a house until next year..
(Gasping for Air)
Our deal was that we would take "mini" vacations with the kids then take them back to Disney in 2013 once the fantasyland expansion is done. My girls keep saying "We're going to Adventureland and the Zoo this year.. And Disney next year!" We have a savings account for the trip.. And we will have a loan for the house construction. But I'm afraid that we will go over budget and have to use the vacation money as a buffer..
Should we put off Disney for a year? Or should I just book it as soon as the packages come out in Aug in hopes of not backing out?
You definitely shouldn't go if it will put you in financial hardship. :
Having said that, though, look really hard at ways to make the trip as affordable as possible and to save up money for it. A big thing that comes to mind right away is to perhaps have a huge yard sale, since you're moving anyway. It's a fair amount of work, but anything you sell you won't have to move and perhaps store for a year while you're in a rental house. Earmark any profit from that for your trip; your kids will likely get in the spirit, too, and come up with outgrown clothing and toys they'd be willing to let go in order to get to Disney next year. Make a change jar where you drop loose coins and dollar bills to help you save, and look at all the threads here and on other sites for saving money, now and while you're there. Then, when August comes, you may be in better shape financially and have a good idea how much you can realistically spend.
You sure don't want to disappoint your kids, and maybe you can still swing a low-budget trip. Good on you for not wanting to go into debt to swing the trip, and good luck!
Ginger, Mickey, Walt..............................In memory of the world's sweetest kitty
Do you have the Visa credit card? We charge EVERYTHING, but pay it off every month and we have managed to save quite a bit towards our upcoming trip. That could be part of your savings. But, I am such a worry wart and so is my husband, that financially we risk nothing, buy nothing unless we can afford it. If you feel nervous about the money part, just put off the trip for awhile. A trip is great, but its for a week, the house could be for a lifetime and is a better investment. Take "mini" vacations and then keep saving and looking forward to a great Disney trip in the future. Good luck. I know that its a hard choice!
I totally agree with both previous responses...we are homebuilders here, and I see so many young couples with kids going over the budgets!! they are strapped and are disappointed when they cant upgrade the things they want, or they wipe out all savings to get a few things they could always upgrade later....then they can't do anything else because of 'the house'... make sure you know your budget limits waaaay before you start building..stay realistic....and if that means using your vacation money to keep your home within a limit that is not totally draining you every month,,you can go on vacation later!! And just think...you won't feel guilty about spending your house money on 1 week of your life...even if it IS WDW!!!! And if you put off your trip for a few months, more of the Fantasyland expansion will be finished!!!
So,all that to say...try to get an idea of what you will spend on your home-if you've been looking for that long, you have an idea of what you can get for the $$. Then see where you are--if you can swing Disney without compromise, go for it,..if not..wait a bit!! You will be thankful you did!!!
Married to my best friend for 18 years---mommy to 2 wonderful little men and one precious little lady!
I think you've had some great ideas about how to save/make a bit more money already. I like the way you're already thinking about eventualities and going over budget, as too many people do it, without thinking about that first. making your decision.
If you stay at a Value resort, and can get free dinning or a discount on room.It cost more for our hotel room to go to Hubby's Car Club Meet than it does to stay at Pop Century at Disney. So maybe using what you have saved, and getting a deal you would be able to do it. I understand what you are saying about the house and stuff but I am on the other side of the track. Life is to short, enjoying the family fun and seeing your children enjoy Disney is worth the money. It takes me awhile to pay off my credit card but I wouldnt trade that for the enjoyment we had obtained from our trips. When I think of what we would have missed by not taking our Son and family on thoes Disney trips using our credit card we would not have thoes wonderful pictures of him with his family at Disney or thoes memories and neither would his children.
Love the Magic of Disney Thanks Dad for our first 5 trips.
We have seperate money for vacation. And we are trying to keep things under what we are being loaned, because we have been told multiple times that "you will go over budget" In a perfect world, if everything goes right.. We could do both.
My main concern is that something will go wrong. And Disney will be cut. And myself and my children will be disappointed.
Maybe I should try to do the secret trip.. Which might already be blown at this point since they keep saying they get to go next year..
Only you know what you can afford. If you can do both, then do both. But make sure you can make the trip before you book. There is nothing more disappointing than cancelling a trip to the Mouse. I know from experience, as we've had to cancel our last two trips due to circumstances beyond my control.
Good luck, and pixie dust!
Anastasia made this our most memorable dinner! She even told DS to write her...
Location: Where the Military sends us: Germany,GA,NC,VA,NC,MD...Currently 90mins. from DL :-) San Diego CA
If you book it 12 months out with Disney you can put down 200.00 and pay the rest off over a period of months, basically 10 months to pay for it or cancel and get your $$$ refunded. DISNEY LAYAWAY!!! You should know in plenty of time wether or not you will be able to afford the trip or not and cancel without penalty. I would book it ,not tell them, and go from there. I was crunching numbers and looking at the WDW site ...our fam of 4 (kids 17 and 11) with the kids ages it is more like 4 adults, came to around 2900 for a week at a value in value season (Aug) with QSDP and hoppers. With 200 down that was 2700 over 10 months 270.00 per month and then I had to factor in driving down and back. It could not hurt to book it on the down low and see how things play out.