No more Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)? - Page 3 - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans for Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Mouse Fan Travel™
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #31 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 3
Quote:
And I would have no problem showing some kind of proof. This also gives the cast members a clear way of knowing who really needs it and who is just trying to cheat the system.
Those of us who legitimately need and get one ARE willing to show something but Disney CM's won't look at them.

Celebrating Lenny's birthday at Epcot August 2014

Looking for all of my previous reports? Click my TR link.

Our FROZEN filled TR BIG UPDATE 11/11 POSTS 268 TO 274 (7 POSTS)

My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music
CinderAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #32 (permalink)
Community Rank: Day-Tripper

My dad had to get one a few weeks ago and he did not have any problem getting one
ray72484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #33 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

UPDATE

I got a bit more info from my friend. Thanks everyone for weighing in. From what my friend explained to me it sounds like she was being a bit difficult and got a less than friendly cm. Her husband has cancer and diabetes and they were from the sounds of it looking for something to shorten their wait- which we all know a GAC is not meant to do. She told them her husband can't do long lines and standing. He refused to disclose his condition and felt that the cm was not being helpful because of this. While I understand him not wanting to disclose his illness it is impossible to know if someone qualifies for a GAC without knowing why. The cm did offer to get my friend's husband a wheelchair which he refused because he doesn't want his children to see him in a wheelchair. My friend felt like the cm was accusing her husband of lying about his needs. She also feels like the cm lied to them because she told them that Disney no longer offers GACs. Sorry to get everyone worked up over the possibility of no more GACs. False alarm. She said she did see someone who had a GAC for autism. I feel much better now.
fluffybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #34 (permalink)
Eileeeeeeen!™
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 6
Well - I'm glad you may travel without worry of GACs being "done away with." It seems like the CM did exactly what I'd expect her to do: ask the guest for what accomodations could be made and make a determination whether one of the standard accomodations could help them enjoy the park.

Since your friends DH chose not to disclose his conditions -- did he not even want to tell the CM his needs? -- I'm not surprised she was unable to give him more than a suggestion to get a wheelchair. My guess is that she did not say GACs were not being given out anymore, but rather that they had to conform to certain guidelines before they were given out.

I'm confident that you will be able to get your usual GAC (and you know what to ask for to make the experience comfortable for your child.) Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Eileen
PassPorter guide for Feasting and Snacking: The Eateries and Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans
My Previous TripsSometime in the 70's with mom; 1990 honeymoon; 1994 trip with brother; 2002 Dec - POFQ; 2003 May - ASMovies; 2003 Oct - ASMovies; 2004 May - Pop; 2004 Sept - AKL; 2004 Nov - PORiverside; 2005 May - Grand Gathering #1; 2005 Dec - Mousefest w/Karen; 2006 March - DLR w/Karen; 2006 June - Beach Club w/Karen; 2006 Dec - Grand Gathering #2; 2007 Feb DLR Girls Trip; 2007 Dec - Appetizer trip/Mousfest w/CLT; 2008 Jun - CLT+2 meet the Koenigs; 2008 Dec - CLQ Broken Ankle Tribute; 2009 Mar - Unclenching at POFQ!; 2009 June - Sweating with Friends; 2009 Dec - Sousefest09; 2011 Dec - 3 to a bed; 2012 Jul - Even Eileen! (DLR)
Caldercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #35 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic mickey View Post
On a side note, being physically disabled does not mean that you necessarily need a GAC either. My DH is in a wheelchair and is unable to walk, we have never asked for a GAC because we have always been given access to the alternate entrance if needed. I believe the GAC, is great for autism and unseen circumstances were it would not be noticeable to the CM.
We didn't know about the GAC the first several times we visited WDW. Until the day we were denied entrance to Peter Pan for DD Samantha. We'd always, for over 10 trips, been told to just go to the FP entrance (or the exit, before FP showed up), and they'd put us on. DD has her own electric chair - it's not a scooter, it's not a Jazzy thing, it's a $35,000 vehicle that keeps her safe and comfy. Her own chair!! And some older CM refused us entry to Peter Pan, telling us we'd "Probably just got that chair so you could skip the line". Oh - and DD is paralyzed from the shoulders down. She can move her arms, but not her hands or fingers. We carry her onto rides.
Anyway - we've always gotten a GAC since then, even when we have a tour guide.
You are correct, we're rarely asked to show the GAC, but having it is always a good idea.
When we go to get the GAC, they've started telling me they have to put eyes on the child! Once, DD went to get her own pass (she is 28), and they told her they needed to see the child. She laughed and said "I'm the child!"
Old 05-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #36 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

I am glad to hear that anyone who needs a GAC will still be able to get one. One thought on the dr's note, if Disney would ever require one, I am sure people would forge them. Could just be the pharmacist in me coming out.

Kate
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney, Vegas, and the beach!
Vacation ON
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW- March '90- BC, May '02- WL, July '04- POP, Jan '08- WL, May '09- POP, Jan '11- Poly, May '12- POR DLR - '86, May '05
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybunny View Post
My friend felt like the cm was accusing her husband of lying about his needs. She also feels like the cm lied to them because she told them that Disney no longer offers GACs.
Uh - he WAS lying! Even if he said he had diabetes, that still really isn't a reason to have the GAC.
The CM kind of lied - she really meant they no longer offers GACs to anybody who says they need it. Most people who really need it are more than happy to tell them why, as evidenced by the number of people on this site who KNOW the CMs won't ask for a Dr's note and yet still have one!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #38 (permalink)

What's this?

Community Rank: Globetrotter

I say "I cannot do stairs" which says what my limitations but not what my me.dical reasons. In my case it is cumulutive damage ending with a major fall at DLR. I can do stairs but not always. CMs can read people so that they get suspicious of people who are evading questions.

On both coasts Disney clearly states that there are lines so guests who cannot stand for a long time should use a wheelchair. There are wheelchairs on some rides. If he is so vain as to not want to be seen in a wheelchair then he can pay the consequences.

Thank you for the update.

She is gone but keeping signature. Laundry is getting done. My purpose in life is to help poor people in FL. Farewell, will miss you.
My Countdown Counting down to: Laurie's Birthday
Happy Birthday and may you have a grand day.
My Previous TripsWDW, DLR for 50 years, NYC, San Antonio, Midwest, Catalina Island, San Diego, Vegas, lots of places I have been. I have seen the Atlantic Ocean over 20 times and never been in it.
mechurchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #39 (permalink)
Community Rank: Navigator

Concierge Level: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
We didn't know about the GAC the first several times we visited WDW. Until the day we were denied entrance to Peter Pan for DD Samantha. We'd always, for over 10 trips, been told to just go to the FP entrance (or the exit, before FP showed up), and they'd put us on. DD has her own electric chair - it's not a scooter, it's not a Jazzy thing, it's a $35,000 vehicle that keeps her safe and comfy. Her own chair!! And some older CM refused us entry to Peter Pan, telling us we'd "Probably just got that chair so you could skip the line". Oh - and DD is paralyzed from the shoulders down. She can move her arms, but not her hands or fingers. We carry her onto rides.
Anyway - we've always gotten a GAC since then, even when we have a tour guide.
You are correct, we're rarely asked to show the GAC, but having it is always a good idea.
When we go to get the GAC, they've started telling me they have to put eyes on the child! Once, DD went to get her own pass (she is 28), and they told her they needed to see the child. She laughed and said "I'm the child!"

That really stinks that they refused you entry and to say what he said is terrible. I hope you reported him!
offsite-July 1975, offsite-May 1983, offsite-June 1985, offsite-May 1988, CBR-May 1992, ASMU-May 1995, ASMO-Nov 1999, offsite-June 2002, ASSP-Oct. 2003, POP-July 2006, ASMu-August 2008, Pop-Dec. 2009, POFQ-Aug 2011
My Countdown Counting down to: Mom and the Kids take on the Mouse
My PassPorter Bookshelf
magic mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #40 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

What's this?

As to why Disney refuses to look at or require notes from doctors? It opens far more cans of worms than simply taking guests at their word.

Is a CM supposed to decide whether a doctor's note is legitimate? That's inevitably going to create bad situations.

Would CMs be required to accept every "note from a doctor" without question (in order to be sure nobody is accidentally denied the accommodation)? That leaves the whole system open for abuse.

What of the guest who doesn't know a Dr's note is required before arriving at the park?

What of the guest with a doctor's note whose condition does not require a GAC? Does the CM give a GAC anyway, because the person has a note, or will there be a scene because, "I went to the trouble of getting a note from my doctor, but you're not honoring it anyway!"

Not every doctor is going to know what information Disney is looking for, so the doctor could end up revealing more confidential medical information than necessary, or simply not provide the kind of info Disney does need.

Altogether, considering the nature of GACs, the procedure necessary to get one, and the extent to which the parks have been "mainstreamed," the possibility of abuse is pretty low. Compare that with the possible problems that could come from requiring/inspecting doctor's notes, and the honor system seems to be a whole lot better for guests, CMs, and the Disney legal department.

Co-Author, PassPorter's Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line, and PassPorter's Disneyland and Southern California Attractions

http://www.passporter.com/
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Magic Post-Drydock
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsToo many to recall!
Dave Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #41 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

I had to weigh in on this after reading through everyone's comments. For the first time in my life, I used a GAC this past December. See I have cancer and while being wheeled into surgery, through my treatment and beyond I dreamed of going back to WDW. I planned my GAC free trip but then I got hit with chemotherapy related peripheal neuropathy in my feet causing me quite a bit of on and off severe pain. I have other issues too related to the effects of treatment and some that seemed to just want to crop up to give me further problems. My point is, cancer is a big deal in and of itself let alone the treatment for same. I had no problem or care that I used the GAC card to enjoy the season at the world. And while I understand the useage of same for kids that cannot manage to not have constant meltdowns I feel a few people above said it best that they were able to manage their children and they were actually better off in the long run. I guess what I'm saying is that 99.9% of kids have ADHD but most of them are perfectly able to be okay waiting in line. I would think just having "Cancer" would qualify as well if you think about it not saying that original OOP friends husband had the correct attitude about same but . . . .
My Previous TripsApr 1999 WDW - 1st trip June 2002 WDW May 2005 -WDW & DCL Aug 2007 - WDW Jul 2009 - WDW DD's Sweet 16 trip Dec 2011 - WDW Christmas in Disney
dizprincess27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
I would think just having "Cancer" would qualify as well if you think about it
I hate to sound mean and disagree, but I disagree. I know someone who had skin cancer but she felt fine the whole time, even through treatments. Should she have been able to say "I have cancer, I need a GAC" and just get one because of the word cancer? I don't think so but I do argree there are some people who need help because of cancer and the treatments but like those of us with Autistic kids, GAC's should be based on what kind of accomodations you need.

Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is that 99.9% of kids have ADHD but most of them are perfectly able to be okay waiting in line.
ADHD and Autism are not the same thing - not even close - and for a lot of the kids with Autism, they are NOT perfectly able to wait in line.

Celebrating Lenny's birthday at Epcot August 2014

Looking for all of my previous reports? Click my TR link.

Our FROZEN filled TR BIG UPDATE 11/11 POSTS 268 TO 274 (7 POSTS)

My Previous TripsAll WDW - July 1980 off property - July 1981 FW - July 1983 FW - July 1985 FW - August 1987 FW - July 1988 Treehouse Villas - July 1990 Treehouse Villas - July 1997 FW - August 2006 AS Sports, 1st time with DH and DD - August 2008 AS Sports - August 2009 AS Sports - August 2010 AS Sports - July 2011 AS Sports - August 2013 AS Music - August 2014 AS Music
CinderAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

Duly noted CinderAbbey however most people who have intense chemotherapy will be weak and have some physical side effects. I myself already had back surgery, fibromyalgia and cervical radiculopahty in my neck prior to a cancer diag but never asked for or need a GAC but now well yes unfortunately. Autism as you say is different but how many on here said ADHD or something akin to that. In the end, it is not up to us to decide who needs a GAC but rather up to the severity of each individual case and all we can do is hope people are being honest. It's kind of like getting your 3 year old in as a free 2 year old what can we say? I just wanted to point out that the OOP said "just cancer" and sorry but there is no way cancer is just anything it can end your life! Skin cancer can be no more than having some moles removed but hmmm not lung, ovarian, breast, pancreatic, melanoma noooo not the same thing at all!
My Previous TripsApr 1999 WDW - 1st trip June 2002 WDW May 2005 -WDW & DCL Aug 2007 - WDW Jul 2009 - WDW DD's Sweet 16 trip Dec 2011 - WDW Christmas in Disney

Last edited by dizprincess27; 05-22-2012 at 02:31 PM..
dizprincess27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #44 (permalink)
I ♥ Wall-E

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Scout

Well being that the OP has updated the status of what really occurred with her friend and their misunderstanding of what the actual purpose of the GAC card is; i.e. it's not a "front of the line pass," etc., we need to refrain from giving our opinions and thoughts on what we think about valid or assumed less then valid, etc. medical conditions, illnesses, diagnoses, etc.

We have great diversity in our membership here at PassPorter and with that comes differences of opinion; however, being that we are all here for one common goal -- Disney vacation planning -- we need to keep to that topic (as OPs should generally be about this anyway) in an effort to avoid any misunderstandings, hurt feelings, etc.

Thanks!
My Previous TripsWDW Trips: May 2002 (4 Parks, 4 Days (w/the Macs) @ Days Inn Old Town) ♥ November 2003 (Camping w/the Macs @ FW) ♥ February 2004 (Girls Trip @ Days Inn Old Town) ♥ November 2005 (Honeymoon @ Sandals Jamaica & Hilton DTD) ♥ October 2006 (1st Annv. @ Hilton DTD & WL) ♥ November/December 2007 (2nd Annv. @ Hilton DTD) ♥ November 2008 (3rd Annv. @ Hilton DTD) ♥ September/October 2009 (4th Annv. @ SSR) ♥ February 2010 (Mom n' Me @ Buena Vista Palace DTD) ♥ October/November 2010 (5th Annv. @ AKL-Jambo, AKL-Kidani & BLT) ♥ November 2011 (6th Annv. @ AKL-Jambo & BWV) ♥ October/November 2012 (7th Annv. @ AKL-Jambo & BCV) ♥ October/November 2013 (8th Annv. @ OKW, AKL-Jambo & BWV) ♥ October 2014 (9th Annv. @ AKL-Jambo & BWV)
aliceinwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #45 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Everyone has to make their own decision about whether they (or their children) need a GAC, and then Disney will decide if it's really necessary. My son has autism...he doesn't need one, but my godson has aspergers and he does. Of course people will buck the system, but the important thing is that it's there for those who need it.

Move over Picasso!
My Countdown Counting down to: no kids allowed
Insert Grand Marnier slushie here
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDD's 1st trip & our 5th anniversary at POFQ September 2007, Beach Club Villas February 2005, Wilderness Lodge March 2004, OKW/ Yacht Club September 2003, Port Orleans French Quarter March 2003, Honeymoon Animal Kingdom Lodge June 2002
Suzie&Jay is offline   Reply With Quote