Did I find a loophole for getting from one resort to another easily? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans for Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Mouse Fan Travel™
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Did I find a loophole for getting from one resort to another easily?

We're staying at the Boardwalk for our upcoming trip. I made a reservation for dinner at Boma for our first evening there.

The plan is to walk to DHS (still called MGM in my head) and catch a bus to AKL. Am I missing something or will this work?
thenewsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

PassPorter's Club Passholder
What's this?

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
Welcome to PassPorter!

Yes, that works, though I'd hardly call it a loophole. It's the way the system works.

Like air travel, when traffic between two points is not enough to justify a dedicated route (how many people need to travel between BoardWalk and AKL at any given time?), you're routed through a hub. For Disney's purposes, the parks (including water parks) and Downtown Disney are hubs. In this particular case, walking may seem less like hub-and-spoke travel than taking two buses, but the underlying strategy is still the same (get to a park to get to a different resort). The resorts on Bay Lake, Lake Buena Vista, and Crescent Lake do offer some direct resort-to-resort travel, but only to nearby resorts.

Co-Author, PassPorter's Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line, and PassPorter's Disneyland and Southern California Attractions

http://www.passporter.com/
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Magic Post-Drydock
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsToo many to recall!
Dave Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

I suppose I should have specified as a "single bus loophole." Waiting for multiple buses with a toddler isn't an ideal situation. She's much more pleasant on a 15 minute walk than waiting on another bus.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

PassPorter's Club Passholder
What's this?

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
Yep, that's definitely a circumstance that makes "hubbing" much less painful. Of course, the boat from BoardWalk to Studios is also an option, and definitely less troublesome than getting a stroller and child on and off a bus.

Co-Author, PassPorter's Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line, and PassPorter's Disneyland and Southern California Attractions

http://www.passporter.com/
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Magic Post-Drydock
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsToo many to recall!
Dave Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

That's exactly what we did last month. Except DH & I took the boat from the BW to HS, then the bus to Boma. We did take a cab back after dinner, though. Enjoy!
First trip DW--Nov. 1975; Senior Class Trip DW--Oct. 1979; First trip w/kids--Oct. 1995; Halloween at DW--Oct. 2002; Spring Break at DW--April 2004; Christmas/Pop Warner Nationals-POR--Dec. 2005;Cruisin'--April 2008; Mom/Son trip-POP--March 2010;Taggin' along w/DD on DH's conference-BWI--Oct. 2011; 50th birthday with the Gartner Geeks--Adults only!--BWI--Oct. 2012; The Trip That Almost Wasn't--BWI--Oct. 2013
My PassPorter Bookshelf
wishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

Concierge Level: 7
One thing to note is that this works for lunch and dinner but might not work for breakfast. Buses that go to the parks first thing in the morning are "dead heads" (Drop off only) and usually won't pick up passengers to take back to a different resort.

My PassPorter Bookshelf
Professor_Whistleteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

When we eat at Boma or any other resort, we'll take a cab. The cost is usually around $20 with tip. After dinner we'll catch the bus to Downtown, shop, enjoy the entertainment and then catch the bus back to our resort. We've done this for breakfast also.

Grandkids- Ian and Stella
My Countdown Counting down to:
My Previous TripsMore trips to the World than I can count
DVC393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Another issue to keep in mind when using parks to transfer between resorts is that you need to make sure the park you want to take a bus to will still be open after dinner. Busses from parks to resorts run for at least an hour after park closing, but busses from resorts to parks may stop running when the park closes.

In offseasons, Hollywood Studios may close at 7. Epcot stays open until at least 9, but walking through to International Gateway, especially right before or during Illuminations, would be time-consuming.

When we dine at Boma or Jiko without a car, we usually take a taxi back to the resort, as mentioned above, unless one of the parks had evening Extra Magic Hours or is open late for everyone.

Happy planning!
Melissa
My Previous TripsWDW offsite December 1976, 1979, 1981, 1984, 1986, 1988; DL 1995, 1996; WDW Boardwalk Inn May 1997, January 2000; WDW Boardwalk Villas September 2001; DL Hyatt May 2002; WDW Beach Club/DCL Wonder October 2002; WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge October 2004; DL Hyatt August 2005; WDW Wilderness Lodge/DCL Wonder February 2006; DCL Magic Western Carib. January 2007; WDW Boardwalk Villas October 2007; Animal Kingdom Lodge/DCL Magic Eastern Carib. January 2008; WDW Beach Club Villas/Vero Beach June 2008; DL Grand Californian June 2009; DCL Wonder January 2010; WDW Boardwalk Villas June 2010; WDW Saratoga Springs October 2011; DCL Dream January 2012; DL Grand Californian Villas June 2012; WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo November 2012; DCL Magic Mediterranean June 2013; WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo/DCL Magic February 2014

Last edited by MelissaL; 12-02-2012 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: Added additional detail
MelissaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

I made our reservation for the toddler-friendly time of 5, so I think we should be ok for timing.

Rachel

Blogging about whatever comes to mind at The New Smiths.
My Previous TripsWDW - Contemporary 1987, Off-Property 1989, Off-Property 1994, Dixie Landings 1996, Swan Dec 1998, Off-Property 2001, Dolphin Mar 2012, Boardwalk Villas Feb 2013