Japan- pick a pearl - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans for Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Mouse Fan Travel™
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Passenger

Japan- pick a pearl

Hi-
We have less than 3 weeks and we are off to Disney World, I can not believe it is finally here.

Has anyone bought a pick a pearl from the Japan locations? I was planning on letting my daughters each pick an oyster and me as well as a nice souvenir to remember Disney.

I was planning on letting the girls get it made into a charm and put it on a necklace. Has anyone done this before and if so do you know the approximate cost for a thin gold necklace?

Thanks so much
Alison
alisonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Eileeeeeeen!™
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 6
There are several locations around the whole Resort where you can pick-a-pearl, but my favorite one (and it's not any more expensive) is inside the Japan pavilion in Mitsukoshi.

They do a whole ceremony and make it a wonderful occasion.

Getting the pearl is about $20, and there are settings in both silver and gold. I think we saw prices ranging from another $20 up into the hundreds of dollars for the setting and necklace. (You can also just buy a cage for the pearl and then string it onto a piece of ribbon at home.)

Eileen
PassPorter guide for Feasting and Snacking: The Eateries and Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans
My Previous TripsSometime in the 70's with mom; 1990 honeymoon; 1994 trip with brother; 2002 Dec - POFQ; 2003 May - ASMovies; 2003 Oct - ASMovies; 2004 May - Pop; 2004 Sept - AKL; 2004 Nov - PORiverside; 2005 May - Grand Gathering #1; 2005 Dec - Mousefest w/Karen; 2006 March - DLR w/Karen; 2006 June - Beach Club w/Karen; 2006 Dec - Grand Gathering #2; 2007 Feb DLR Girls Trip; 2007 Dec - Appetizer trip/Mousfest w/CLT; 2008 Jun - CLT+2 meet the Koenigs; 2008 Dec - CLQ Broken Ankle Tribute; 2009 Mar - Unclenching at POFQ!; 2009 June - Sweating with Friends; 2009 Dec - Sousefest09; 2011 Dec - 3 to a bed; 2012 Jul - Even Eileen! (DLR)

Last edited by Caldercup; 12-31-2012 at 10:36 AM..
Caldercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
This past September we paid $17/pearl from Epcot Japan-we do this everytime we go to WDW-pearls avg 6-71/2mm size and sometimes different colors or even twin pearls! there are alot to choose from on necklace-rings-pendants-etc avg $20 on up and they do it all on site
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW SEPT 2012 BEACH CLUB VILLA WDW SEPT 2010 BEACH CLUB WDW DEC 2009-CORONADO RESORT WDW APRIL 2009-CORONADO RESORT WDW MAY 2007-CARIBBEAN RESORT WDW AUG 2004ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE WDW JUNE 1997 CARIBBEAN RESORT
mike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

Concierge Level: 7
I did pick-a-pearl on my last visit to WDW at the Janan location. I got 2 picks for my DGDs...one white and one black. I purchased "Cinderella pearl cages" on eBay prior to my trip and just inserted the pearls into the cages when I got home. It was fun with a little ceremony and we took pictures of the whole procedure.....I plan on doing it again on my next trip.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1996 Polynesian ( our 1st trip..25th anniversary..ours and WDW)_1997 Polynesian_1998 Grand Floridian_1999 Grand Floridian (became DVC members BWV)_2000 BoardWalk_ 2002 Polynesian_2004 BoardWalk (August & November)__2005 BoardWalk_2006 BoardWalk__2007 Old Key West (July) BoardWalk (November)_2008 Old Key West (Jaclyn and Brett..Engagement)_2009 Old Key West_2010 Animal Kingdom (Jaclyn & Brett...Honeymoon)_2011 BoardWalk_2012 Bay Lake Towers (Luke's 1st trip)_2013 Bay Lake Towers
rella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

I love it. DD picked one and got twins. She was 5 at the time. We have them put away for when she is older. I love the japan one and can't imagine doing it anywhere else.
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Passenger

Thank you for all of your replies, I appreciate it.
i can't wait to post when I get back and let you know how we did
alisonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

We did this last trip, and got a nice pearl. DD will wear it for her wedding. The cage and the chain ran avout $40 dollars in addition to the cost of the pearl. Took about 90 minutes. The girl at the counter was great, and put on a very enthusiastic show. Was great fun.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Tripsover 25 trips to WDW starting in 1972-some with my family, others just with my spouse have stayed at Old Key West x 3, Vacation Villas x2,POR (was still Dixie Landings then), All Star Sports x3, Vero Beach x2, POP x 5
sk8mom6 is offline   Reply With Quote