School moved our graduation into the middle of our trip! - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Planning Your Adventure: Your Plans for Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: Mouse Fan Travel™
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 04:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

Concierge Level: 6
School moved our graduation into the middle of our trip!

The plan was to walk for graduation then later that week head to Disney. Then school moved graduation onto the second day of our trip. Plane tickets are bought and not refundable.

I'm a little torn up. I don't want to lose $200, but my parents want me to walk for graduation. I personally didn't want to walk.
My roommate is going on the trip and we should be graduating together. I talked to her about it and she said given the option of Disney or walking she chooses Disney. Again though, her parents aren't pleased.

I honestly don't think there's a good answer here. I'm just really frustrated with how this turned out.

Last edited by Nalla; 01-28-2013 at 04:40 AM..
Nalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

That's a really nasty situation, Nalla. I'm guessing this is a high school graduation?

If it's college, not such a big deal, I don't think. I didn't do my undergrad graduation. The school mailed diplomas to anyone not attending the ceremony.

Unfortunately, that's the drawback of non-refundable plane tickets. If you have something happen like a family emergency just as you're about to go, you pretty much have to bite the bullet and lose a wad of money.

While I have a feeling you won't welcome this idea, I think it advisable to please your parents. They've put a LOT of money and support into getting you to this point in your life. A graduation is a once-in-a-lifetime deal, and when it's high school, that's a big milestone as far as parents are concerned. Disney can be re-scheduled, and you'll likely have lots of chances in the future to do Disney. Your parents are the only parents you've got.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.

Last edited by Her Dotness; 01-28-2013 at 05:04 AM..
Her Dotness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

It's actually college. Our parents are still really into it though. To me it's not a big deal, like you said I'm perfectly happy getting a diploma in the mail.
My mom is probably insistent because I didn't do HS graduation either. Also we're both the first to go to college in our families.
Hopefully our parents will end up ok with our decision. It's just a crappy situation :/

I think either way we'll need to talk it over more with them. After all, they kind of do have a stake in the graduation thing seeing as how much help I needed to get through college.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalla View Post
It's actually college. Our parents are still really into it though. To me it's not a big deal, like you said I'm perfectly happy getting a diploma in the mail.
My mom is probably insistent because I didn't do HS graduation either. Also we're both the first to go to college in our families.
I meant to ask if you might be the first in your family to graduate college. In that case, I think you definitely ought to reschedule the trip and do graduation, particularly when you didn't do HS.

Quote:
I think either way we'll need to talk it over more with them. After all, they kind of do have a stake in the graduation thing seeing as how much help I needed to get through college.
Yep, and likely much more so emotionally because you're the first in the family to achieve college graduation.

No question, I'd say, do the graduation. A person doesn't get that many obvious chances to give your parents some payback for all their dedication to giving you opportunities enabling you to have a better life than they may have had, support-wise as well as financially.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW 11/2013--GF; WDW 1/2010--GF; WDW 7/2004--CR Tower// DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984; Me DL 1969.
Her Dotness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Tourist

Do graduation. It sucks to lose money but the folks will be happy to see you there.

Is it possible that they might help out with the lost cash if you walk?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

It is a real bummer for sure, how do your parents feel about the cost of loosing the airfare? If it is not a problem to loose the money and you can change the date for the trip your walking is a one time thing you can only do now, Disney is something that will be there. We only had 1 that went to collage, she walked in both HS and collage, our Son walked for HS he was the first in the family to graduate our other Son and Daughter did not want to walk and we didnt make them. Guess you and your parents will have to decide . Hope it all turns out well for you.
My Previous TripsHRP 90, 93,95,97,98,2001 ALL AT CB, 2002-WL. In 2003 WL,CB, CS 2004 CB,WL 2005 CB,BC/WL ,2006 PC,WL,PC, 2007 FW, PC, 2008-PC , SS, PC. 2009 Poly. PC ,WLV. 2010 PC,AKL. 2011 & 2013 WLV-.2014 WLV
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

We're looking into moving the plane tickets. We just booked them, looks like we can waive most of the fee through United if we do it today.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Good luck. I hope you can change your tickets. Graduation is an important moment for parents. Can you still go to Disney if you change your tickets by a couple of days?
Disney Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Personally, I think you should walk. College graduation is an accomplishment. If you're the first in your family to graduate, you really need to be there. Do it for your parents if not for yourself.

As a parent, I don't know why we make such a big deal of high school graduations -- invite half the world, huge parties, etc. Yet college graduations, which are more rare and represent more personal accomplishment, get shoved to the side and treated as no big deal.
I expect my daughter to graduate from HS and I expect her to do well. I don't expect to brag to the world about it.
Off my soapbox now...

My Previous Trips1974 w/mom and best friend -- 1976 w/parents -- 5/2002 ASMo DD's 1st visit -- 11/2002 ASMo w/hubby and the Princess (2 trips that year - what luck!) -- 2005 POP holiday trip -- 2006 ASMo w/ DH, DD, B and SIL for niece's graduation -- 2/2009 DLR -- 11/2009 ASMu -- 11/2010 POFQ & 12/2010 POP -- Non-Disney trips: too many to mention

Last edited by Carousel96; 01-28-2013 at 08:09 AM..
Carousel96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pax
Community Rank: Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her Dotness View Post
I meant to ask if you might be the first in your family to graduate college. In that case, I think you definitely ought to reschedule the trip and do graduation, particularly when you didn't do HS.
This. Seriously, it will mean SO MUCH to the OP's parents to see their son/daughter walk up and accept their diploma. So very, very, very much.

Disney world isn't going anywhere - but this Graduation is a once in a lifetime thing. I'm sorry the plane tickets will be a loss, but, the graduation is just that much more important.
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Concierge Level: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalla View Post
We're looking into moving the plane tickets. We just booked them, looks like we can waive most of the fee through United if we do it today.
I hope the plane change worked out for you. I walked across stage with my undergrad, but skipped it when I got my MBA. My mom was really disappointed she couldn't see me walk a second time, but is still walking about her proud moment seeing me cross the stage with my Bachelor's degree. It's a big deal to parents, even if it's not a big deal to us.

Baby's First Trip to the World TR
My Countdown Counting down to: Baby on Board!
Baby has arrived!
My Previous TripsWDW FW July 1987, All Star Resort Nov 2000, BWV Oct 2001, BWV Oct 2002, OKW Feb 2003, OKW Oct 2003, BWV Apr 2004, BWV Nov 2004, OKW Oct 2005, CSR May 2006, OKW June 2007, SSR June 2008, BWV Jan 2011, BWV Dec 2011 DCL April 2012 DVC HHR May 2010 DVC Conciere Collection - Kapalua Bay Hotel Maui March 2002, March 2004 DVC RCI exchange Maui - Nov 2008
num1DVCfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

First of all, Congratulations on your accomplishment! I know you put a lot of hard work into your achievement.
I think you should walk the line...you both have made your parents so very proud. Hopefully you can get those plane tickets moved around, still take your trip and your parents will have the pleasure of seeing you walk the line! Let us know how it went with United!

Alison

My Countdown Counting down to: Going to see the Christmas Decorations!!!
21 days, 7 hours, 0 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1991 Off Property, May/June 2005 PC, March 2006 CS, July 2006 POFQ, November 2006 WL, May 2007 Polynesian, January 2008 PC, Sept 2008 AKL, June 2009 PORS, February 2010 AKL, May 2011 WL, May 2012 POR, May 2013 POR, Sept 2013 AKL.
njsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

PassPorter Guide

Community Rank:
Legend Extraordinaire

I hope you guys moved your tickets and rescheduled your stay.
To be the first to graduate from college is a big deal and your family deserves to see you walk the stage. Congratulations!

PassPorter Guide for the Staying in Style forum
HiddenMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

We had to pay change fees which were pricey, but we got it moved.
Still have to move Disney and ADRs etc but first step we got done.

Last edited by Nalla; 01-28-2013 at 09:06 AM..
Old 01-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

Looks like we'll be going to disney the morning after graduation. Everybody wins (except our wallets lol).

Also my roomie and I are bringing our caps and gowns to get graduation pictures taken in front of the castle