What is the difference between the Magic/Wonder vs Dream? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line > Planning Your Disney Cruise Voyage
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: MouseEarVacations.com
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Question What is the difference between the Magic/Wonder vs Dream?

We have been discussing another cruise. We really found the Dream to be too big and our Server said that many people who have been on the Magic/Wonder have said the same thing, and want to go back to the smaller ships. So....what is the differences between the "smaller" ships (if you can call them that) and that Dream? What would we notice different? Dh is wondering if they are very different and if we would find it "new" again to us? Are the rooms just as clean as the Dream? What did you like about them? Is there theaters on them? What is the pool area like (bigger than the Dream, smaller, congested), what are the kids programs like? what about the meals..are they just as yummy???? What is it that you like about the two smaller ships?
Please tell me so we can make some decisions for next yr. I am really curious about it?

Many thanks
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

The key difference in the ships besides the obvious size is their destinations, that's the key for me. Other, then that, I think everything else is pretty comparable, similar shows, facilities, amenities, etc, just sized differently for the different number of passengers.
My Previous TripsWDW - Fall 83, 84, Feb 90, Nov 92, Jun 94, Jun 98, May 99, Dec 2000, Apr 01, Apr 02, Dec 03, Aug 04, Jan/May/Dec 05, Apr 06, Mar/Jul/Nov 07, Apr/Dec 08, Mar, Dec 09, Jun 10, Oct 10, Jan 11, Mar/Nov 12 - DCL - Apr 08 (W), Dec 08 (W), Jun 10 (W), Jan 11 (D) - Apr 12 (F) - Dec 12 (W) - DL - Nov 80, Jun 81, Sep 90, May 98, Apr 11, Dec 12,
bobyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
There's a huge difference between them. I don't know where to start, but here are some that I can think of:

- two different restaurants (Enchanted Garden and Royal Palace)
- the one restaurant that has the same name (Animator's Palette) offers a totally different (and vastly upgraded) show, compared to the Magic/Wonder
- the spa area is much bigger
- the Rainforest area is much bigger and offers views out to sea/destinations the ship is calling at and includes new facilities, such as hot tubs
- the addition of Remy as an adults' only restaurant
- a complete re-design of Palo
- extra lounges, including Pink and the Skyline Lounge (there are others too)
- a swim-up bar at the adults' only pool
- the Aquaduck (perhaps the biggest addition actually! )
- virtual portholes in the inside staterooms

As I say, that's just off the top of my head. There are a lot of differences and, while you can tell that the ship comes from the same stable, with similar designs, so much has changed, you know immediately it's new.

Meeting Captain Mickey on our magical Mediterranean vacation - the trip report is now underway. The trip report for our vacation around southern England also continues.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.

My Countdown Counting down to: Watching the cycling at the Commonwealth Games
1 days, 22 hours, 24 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 6
I haven't made it on the Dream yet, but i've been on the Magic and the Wonder several times and we love it. The Dream holds double the guests so I can completely understand the overwhelming "large" feeling.
What I like about the Magic and the Wonder is that it doesn't feel too big and it doesn't feel too small...it fits just right! You don't feel like you are packed into a sardine can with other guests but you don't feel like you are completely lost in the shuffle either.
They have the Walt Disney Theatre and the Buena Vista Theatre (where the nightly shows and movies are, respectively). The adult pool has a lot more main level seating, there are a lot of chairs around the pool and bar area; which is different than the Dream which i've heard many complaints about. Both ships have the adult pool and two hot tubs (one on each side) with the bar right there and servers who will bring your drinks to your seat. The dining rooms are large enough to accommodate everyone but they don't make you feel like you have disappeared into the crowd.
I like getting to know the cast members and when you go on a return trip you know who they are and vice versa, it gives it a really intimate feeling and takes that "Disney difference" to the next level. The dining rooms are great, and Palo is my favorite restaurant (it's adults only). The kids programs are wonderful, the amenities are essentially the same but the Dream is newer and larger so everything is a bit "upgraded" (in size and in amenity). We have never found the Magic or Wonder to be dirty or lack-luster. When you get onboard you feel like you're at home!
Twitter: pixiemichele
Blog:http://thatdisneychick.com
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW TRIPS: First trip in 1987 (I was 4 years old!) Sept. 2007-POR, Jan 2008-Poly, Engaged at the Castle (Nov 2009), Honeymooned on the Disney Magic (Sept. 2009), July 2009-CSR, September 2009-Poly, July 2010-CSR, Nov 2010-Poly, DL-Feb 2010 (DL Hotel) & April 2010. DCL Sept 2009 (Magic-Western Caribbean) Nov 2010 (Disney Wonder-Bahamian) February 2011 (Wonder-Mexican Riviera)
PixieMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 5
Thanks for all the information. I am excited about cruising on the Dream in the Fall but I wouldn't hesitate to book another cruise on the Magic or Wonder in the future. It will be great to have some variety on the DCL ships regarding size, layout, and features.

Fun with Stitch while sailing in the Med on the Magic!
My Countdown Counting down to: Pre-swim camp trip to Disney!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsFirst trip: Disneyland Ju.y 1965 with my grandparents, 16th Birthday party at the Contemporary in 1973, many trips to WDW since then, most recent, Grand Floridian, November 2006, DCL Mediterranean Cruise July 2007, Margaret's 8th birthday trip to the Polynesian, June 2008, Grand Floridian Concierge November 2008, March and November2009, DCL Inaugural Baltic Cruise June 2010. Polynesian Resort November 2010, All Star Sports March 2011, Polynesian March 2011, Disney Dream Concierge, November 2011, Contemporary CL November 2011, Disney Fantasy Concierge, October 2012, Adventures By Disney Backstage Magic June 2012, Disney Magic Mediterranean Cruise June 2013, Polynesian October 2013, Tanzania Safari December2013 celebrating my Mom's 80th birthday.
MickeyWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone!!!
My problem now is that since I have chosen a "smaller" boat, I can't find one that fits in with our schedule. I think I want the Western Carribean and I would like it towards the later part of Aug next yr or April Easter break. We could go out of any port, so that is not the problem. Just the dates.
Hubby was not impressed with how big the last ship was. It was beautiful. It was clean. We loved the crew but you really do get lost in it for being a first timer. So many things we didn't see on it.
Also, I tried to book while we were on the last ship, and there was such a line up that I didn't even get in since it got so late. I did give them my number but they never followed through. I imagine the Fantasy is going to be huge tooo.

Any suggestions????

Thanks again.
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
PassPorter's Club Passholder

What's this?

Community Rank: Trailblazer

Concierge Level: 6
Neither the Magic nor the Wonder will be sailing the Western Caribbean during the two times of the year you have listed. The Magic will be sailing to the Eastern Caribbean twice in April (with one of those dates falling during Easter), but other than that she will not be sailing a route you have mentioned. The Wonder is strictly west coast ports for now. Would you be interested in the Eastern itinerary? Or sailing at any other time?

Another thing to keep in mind regarding the ships and their differences...the Dream's pools are not much larger (if even larger at all) than the Magic or Wonder, and in fact the Quiet Cove pool seems smaller due to its shape on the new ship. Something to keep in mind when you are looking at the number of guests the pools are serving.

My Countdown Counting down to: Sailing on the Disney Dream!
130 days, 3 hours, 24 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsOKW Jan 2013; DCL Dream Oct 2012; POR July 2012; DCL Magic May 2012; POFQ Mar 2012; POFQ Jan 2012; WL Dec 2011; WL Sep/Oct 2011; BC Sept 2011; WL Dec 2010; DCL Magic Nov/Dec 2010; WL Jun 2010; WL Dec 2009; DCL Wonder Oct 2009; WL June 2009; VB June 2009; POR Feb 2009; YC Dec 2008; FWCabin Oct 2008; WL June 2008; DCL Wonder May 2008; AKL May 2008; Poly Feb 2008; Poly Dec 2007; WL Nov 2007; CSR Oct 2007; Poly Sept 2007; WL Sept 2007; YC July 2007; BWI July 2007 (twice!); YC June 2007; WL Mar 2007; YC Dec 2006; WL Sept 2006; YC July 2006; WL Feb 2006; Pop Aug 2005; WL June 2005; WL Oct 2004; WL Dec 2003; YC Nov 2003; WL Aug 2003; BC Aug 2003; WL July 2003; POR Apr 2003; BC Feb 2003; BC May 2002; CBR Feb 2002; ASSp Sept 2001; FW Cabin July 2001; CBR May 2001; OKW Apr 2001; CBR Nov 2000; CSR Oct 2000; OKW Aug 2000; DCL Magic Feb 2000; BC July 1999; CBR Aug 1998; ASM June 1998; CR Jan 1996; DL Feb 1990
iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote