San Francisco question - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line > Planning Your Disney Cruise Voyage
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: MouseEarVacations.com
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

San Francisco question

I have never been to San Francisco, so I am wanting to do and see everything! I saw DCL has a Chinatown Walking Tour & San Francisco by Night tour and I am wondering how overnight port stops work. Is there a "curfew" or can you stay out however long you want? I was interested in the night tour option, but don't want to be locked into an evening excursion without knowing what the evening entertainment is on board, so I was thinking of doing some exploring on our own that evening. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

pudinhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

PassPorter's Club Passholder
What's this?

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
On the recent West Coast itinerary, the All Aboard time for the night in San Francisco was "Overnight" (no curfew). Believe me, if you think passengers want to stay out late on a night in port, consider the ship's young and energetic crew members!

On the entertainment front, the Walt Disney Theatre's show for the evening was a ventriloquist (Michael Harrison, a regular variety act on DCL).

Dinner was the regular rotational menu.

Co-Author, PassPorter's Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line, and PassPorter's Disneyland and Southern California Attractions

http://www.passporter.com/
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Magic Post-Drydock
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsToo many to recall!
Dave Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Wayfarer

Thank you for the quick reply!! That is very helpful!!!

pudinhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Alcatraz is really neat
Wantland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

We went there several years ago and had a blast! Alcatraz is awesome, but there is one thing that every Disney fan must do in San Fran! The Walt Disney Museum is there! We actually found out about it by accident as when we were there it wasn't super advertised. We hunted, literally, for it. It is hidden away on the old military base The Presidio. Let me tell you it was worth every penny and was hands down one of the coolest Disney experiences we have ever had. It is beautiful and by looking at the outside you would never know the treasure that is inside. It focuses on the life of Walt Disney. Although I thought I knew a lo about him this museum blew my mind! I suggest checking it out online. You have to get tickets and those tickets give you an entry time. Not sure if you can buy them ahead of time or if you have to buy them at the door. It took us about 4 hours to go through the whole thing. They have a cafe and a gift shop there as well.
Amazing not to be missed experience!
Disney918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

San Francisco is a lovely place. We loved Fishermans Wharf and the cable cars.

My Countdown Counting down to: Sneaky extra trip home to Scotland
18 days, 1 hours, 56 minutes
Thomhazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lunch obviously won't be a concern, but if you do the Chinatown tour and happen by a restaurant called Yank Sing, make note of the location for a return visit to the city for a dim sum lunch there. Yank Sing does a fantastic dim sum. In fact, I'm drooling just thinking about how delicious everything was. Both DH and I have only to say "curried chicken" to start laughing because we know the person saying that is thinking of their curried chicken in an avocado half. Ohhhhhhhh...my!

You can easily linger for a couple hours or more over lunch as carts containing all sorts of tempting foods come by your table for you to point to and be served any number of delicacies. Be forewarned that the bill will likely be much greater than you expected as a result! But well worth it.
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW Nov. 2013--GF; WDW January 2010--GF; WDW July 2004--CR Tower/ DH to WDW several times in the 1970's & 1984, Me DL 1969.
Her Dotness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Trekker

There is so much to do and see in San Fran and it was nice not having to rush back for the all aboard. You kind of felt like you were breaking the rules not having to be back on board at any specific time!
The Walt Disney Family Museum is great. Alcatraz was sold out so if you want to do that then purchase your excursion or your tickets early! I will tell you that walking in SF is exhausting. The hills are outrageous and just when you reach the top of one and think "it'll be easier going down" you're wrong, because it's just as steep and hard to walk on the way down! It's a good way to burn some of those cruise calories though!
Twitter: pixiemichele
Blog:http://thatdisneychick.com
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW TRIPS: First trip in 1987 (I was 4 years old!) Sept. 2007-POR, Jan 2008-Poly, Engaged at the Castle (Nov 2009), Honeymooned on the Disney Magic (Sept. 2009), July 2009-CSR, September 2009-Poly, July 2010-CSR, Nov 2010-Poly, DL-Feb 2010 (DL Hotel) & April 2010. DCL Sept 2009 (Magic-Western Caribbean) Nov 2010 (Disney Wonder-Bahamian) February 2011 (Wonder-Mexican Riviera)
PixieMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Trekker

ooh and be sure to ask when you're going under the Golden Gate bridge, we ran up to the deck at dawn to watch it was really cool!
Twitter: pixiemichele
Blog:http://thatdisneychick.com
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW TRIPS: First trip in 1987 (I was 4 years old!) Sept. 2007-POR, Jan 2008-Poly, Engaged at the Castle (Nov 2009), Honeymooned on the Disney Magic (Sept. 2009), July 2009-CSR, September 2009-Poly, July 2010-CSR, Nov 2010-Poly, DL-Feb 2010 (DL Hotel) & April 2010. DCL Sept 2009 (Magic-Western Caribbean) Nov 2010 (Disney Wonder-Bahamian) February 2011 (Wonder-Mexican Riviera)
PixieMichele is offline   Reply With Quote