East vs. West Caribbean? - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line > Planning Your Disney Cruise Voyage
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: MouseEarVacations.com
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

East vs. West Caribbean?

For my October or November 2013 cruise I want to cruise on the Fantasy. Which side of the Caribbean would you recommend and why? My only cruise experience is twice on the Dream to the Bahamas and I want some place different.

Last edited by Belle*; 12-11-2012 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: newsletter12132012
Stitch316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

PassPorter's Club Passholder
What's this?

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
There are two fundamental differences between Eastern and Western. First, the Eastern visits 3 ports of call, while the Western visits 4. That means the Eastern has an additional day at sea. If relaxing on board the ship seems more appealing than touring the various ports of call, then you'll probably prefer the Eastern.

Second is the style of the ports of call. The Eastern islands have a northern European colonial heritage (Dutch, French, Danish, English), while the Western offers a touch of Spanish Colonial plus Mexican/Mayan. (Grand Cayman has a British heritage, but it's not strongly in evidence.) If you want lush vegetation, you'll get a bit more of that on the Eastern. The Eastern islands are mountainous, the Western are essentially flat. Grand Cayman and Cozumel are particularly well known for their snorkeling and scuba.

I suggest you read a bit more about each of the ports, and see whether you gravitate towards one or two in particular. Hopefully, the ones that appeal most will be on the same itinerary.

Co-Author, PassPorter's Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line, and PassPorter's Disneyland and Southern California Attractions

http://www.passporter.com/
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Magic Post-Drydock
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsToo many to recall!

Last edited by Belle*; 12-11-2012 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: newsletter12132012
Dave Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Globetrotter

We were recently on the Fantasy Eastern Caribbean itinerary. We did enjoy having the extra day at sea, however, we didn't necessarily feel like we saw much of the ports. No matter - we usually enjoy our time on the ship better than the ports. The key is not only which ports / itinerary, but which excursions you are looking to book. The Western itinerary had greater appeal for me, but due to scheduling issues with kids' school, we were limited to the particular cruise we took (11/3-11/10).

Have fun planning - Fantasy is an incredibly beautiful ship You will have an amazing time no matter which itinerary you choose
My Previous TripsAug. 2014 - YC & BLT; June 2014 - Disney's HHI Resort; Aug. 2013 - YC and BLT; Nov. 2012 - Art of Animation and 7 night DCL Fantasy; Aug. 2012 - Hard Rock and AKL Kidani; Nov. 2011 - AKL - Kidani and BLT; Apr. 2011 - OKW and AKL - Kidani; Aug. 2010 -BWV; May 2010- BLT and DCL (Wonder); Aug./Sept. 2009 - SSR and BLT; Oct. / Nov. 2008 - WL and Poly; Mar. '07 - CR; Jan. '06 - WL; Nov. '03 - CR; WDW / DCL 1998 - Poly, WDW 1975-1996: 5 trips, all off-site.
HakunaMatata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Sightseer

Dave's summary above is excellent. Personally, I enjoy sea days, so the Eastern appeals to me. While I'm doing the Western next month, I don't feel that he ports are all that different. In addition, the short port times can make one feel rushed especially with earlier seating dinner.
jkrislc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Visitor

Concierge Level: 1
Exclamation East or West

Having only travelled the western cruise I can only comment on that area of the Caribbean. I felt that the ports were much of a muchness, nothing to choose between them, it was the actual cruise with Disney that was the highlight especially the on board activities and dining experiences.
As a Scot I have to disagree with Dave on his comments re Grand Cayman I felt right at home, especially with the traffic driving on the CORRECT side of the Road.

Highlander
highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Trekker

I like the Eastern Caribbean because I love St. Thomas and the snorkeling is great. We had a horrible experience snorkeling in Cozumel and my husband swears he almost died (he does have a flair for the dramatic)
I enjoy the scenery in the Caribbean more so than the Mexican flair but I agree with Dave to check the Port Excursions and see what "floats your boat" and how you feel about the extra sea day.
Twitter: pixiemichele
Blog:http://thatdisneychick.com
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW TRIPS: First trip in 1987 (I was 4 years old!) Sept. 2007-POR, Jan 2008-Poly, Engaged at the Castle (Nov 2009), Honeymooned on the Disney Magic (Sept. 2009), July 2009-CSR, September 2009-Poly, July 2010-CSR, Nov 2010-Poly, DL-Feb 2010 (DL Hotel) & April 2010. DCL Sept 2009 (Magic-Western Caribbean) Nov 2010 (Disney Wonder-Bahamian) February 2011 (Wonder-Mexican Riviera)
PixieMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

I chose Western based on information in the Passporter. Didn't seem like there were many beach / water options with the Eastern. Also seemed Eastern has more "touristy" shopping and more pickpockets. My conclusions might be wrong - I was kind of reading between the lines. Although there is a good bit of information there, I wish the Passporter had more of the kind of information about each location that would help newbies distinguish the differences.
jeneane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Community Rank: Navigator

Concierge Level: 7
Thank you for this thread. We were debating the same thing!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

The main reason why we are taking a Western cruise this Fall is because we have already taken an Eastern cruise. I heard Grand Cayman is an amazing port of call. So we are pretty excited about our choice.

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW 1974-Present including Honeymoon Nov. 1999, Disney Dream to Bahamas Sept. 2011, One day at Disneyland/DCA 9/21/12, Disney Wonder Pixar/Pacific Cruise Sept. 2012, Pop Century Sept. 2013, Disney Magic Nov. 2013, Art of Animation Jan. 2014, Ft. Wilderness Cabins May 2014.
JJs_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

We have done the Western once and the Eastern three times. We are going on the Fantasy Western in April and looking forward to getting back to the Gulf of Mexico. Our experience, which could be different from others, is that the days at sea on the way to and from St. Thomas/St. Maarten are windy and the seas can be a bit rough at times. We have gone at various times of the year and had the same experience all three times. Unfortunately we enjoy the Eastern Ports much more than the Western Ports they offer now on the Fantasy.

SO now that I have probably confused you my best advice is to take Dave's advice and research and asks lots of questions here on Passporter.

The Faletras
My Countdown Counting down to: DCL Wonder for our 15th Anniversary !!!
We are out of here
My Previous TripsWDW April 1981, WDW April 1982, WDW July 1990, WDW July 1991, DL July 1995, WDW July 1996, WDW July 1998, WDW April 2001, WDW October 2004, WDW November 2005, DL September 2006 WDW November 2007, DCL(Magic) April 2008, WDW May 2008, WDW November 2008, DCL(Wonder) April 2009, DCL (Magic) November 2009, WDW April 2010, WDW June 2011, DCL (Dream) June 2011, DCL (Dream) December 2011, DCL (Magic) April 2012, WDW January 2013, DCL (Fantasy) April 2013, DCL (Dream) June 2013, DCL (Magic B2B) April 2014, WDW Grand Floridian July 2014
cfaletra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Community Rank: Visitor

I didnt think they offered St Maarten in April We have booked and are going on the Fantasy in april but it doesnt go to St Maarten, It goes to St Thomas and San Juan
Limie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

PassPorter's Club Passholder
What's this?

Community Rank: Explorer

The Sint Maarten/St. Thomas itinerary is the "classic." They are substituting San Juan for Sint Maarten Jan - Apr 2013, but that's the exception, rather than the rule. They're back to Sint Maarten from May 2013 through Aug 2014 (there's nothing currently on the schedule from Sep 2014 onward).

Co-Author, PassPorter's Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line, and PassPorter's Disneyland and Southern California Attractions

http://www.passporter.com/
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Magic Post-Drydock
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsToo many to recall!
Dave Marx is offline   Reply With Quote