Cruising Alaska June 3 help!!! - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line > Planning Your Disney Cruise Voyage
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: MouseEarVacations.com
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Traveler

Cruising Alaska June 3 help!!!

Hey friends!

We just booked our honeymoon cruise to Alaska on the Wonder!
We have so many questions. Here are few! Please help if you can!

Which airline is the best for flying into Vancouver?

We are flying in a day early, what hotels are close by?

What port adventures are good for the price that does not involve flying in a small plane?

These are the big ones.

Thanks for any and all help! It is our first Disney cruise!! We are so excited!!
Old 02-17-2013, 02:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
PassPorter Message Board Manager

Community Rank:
Legend VIP

Concierge Level: 3
We flew into Vancouver with Air Canada and were very impressed with them. We stayed at the Pan Pacific Vancouver, which is literally just above the cruise terminal. It couldn't have been more convenient.

We did the adults only Yukon Suspension Bridge, City and White Pass Railway tour in Skagway and that was superb. I can thoroughly recommend taking the railway in Skagway and you can easily wander around the town from the ship on your own.

In Juneau, we did the whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier, and again both were well worth doing.

In Ketchikan, we did flight seeing, which I'm guessing from your question won't be of interest to you but again, you can easily wander around the town on your own from where the ship docks.

Have a wonderful honeymoon cruise!

Enjoying beautiful Mykonos on our magical Mediterranean vacation.

I'm Cheryl and I'm the author of PassPorter's Walt Disney World for British Holidaymakers and the co-author of PassPorter's Disney Vacation Club Guide I'm also one of the PassPorter guides for the Disney Vacation Club, Eateries, Globetrotting, Globetrotting Trip Reports, Disneyland Resort Paris and Disneyland Trip Reports forums.

My Countdown Counting down to: A day out in Paris!
6 days, 9 hours, 20 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsDisney: 17 trips to WDW, 5 to Disneyland in California, 7 to Disneyland Paris, 1 to Hong Kong Disneyland, 1 to Tokyo Disney, 1 to Aulani, 1 to Hilton Head, 2 to Vero Beach and 6 Disney cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy to the Caribbean (three times), Alaska (once) and the Mediterranean (twice). Non-Disney (because otherwise I can't keep track...): American cities (Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC), American National Parks (Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Everglades, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons, Virgin Islands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Zion), Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Big Island) and Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Spain (including Tenerife, Lanzarote and Mallorca), Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco, Finland, Norway and Sweden)
chezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 6
I also did the White Pass Railway excursion in Skagway, and loved it. The round-trip ride still leaves time to explore the town a bit before or after. In Juneau I was booked for the Mt Roberts Tram and Mendenhall Glacier, but the day was incredibly foggy and rainy, so I opted to just stay on-board. I did the Misty Fjords boat ride in Ketchikan and loved it, but it took up all the time we were in port and I would have loved a bit more time to explore the town a bit. Your itinerary is a bit different (I sailed from Seattle), so maybe you'll have a longer port-day in Ketchikan and can do both.

Have a great cruise! I'd love to do this one again some day.

My Previous TripsMost recent WDW trip 2/14; Most recent DLR trip 7/12; Most recent DCL trip 7/12 Alaska Wonder
lauriep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

PassPorter's Club Passholder
What's this?

Community Rank: Explorer

Congrats on your cruise!

"Best airline" will depend on your airport. There may be direct flights, or you may have to take one or more connecting flights. When you have a lot of choices, then there's also best for price or best for service. With fewer airlines to choose from...

For me, flying from Detroit Metro, both Delta and Air Canada provide convenient flights, with Delta usually lower-priced (and I'm happy with their service). Your situation may be different.

As to hotels that are "close by" - the terminal is in downtown Vancouver, so you have dozens of hotels to choose from, from mid-priced to super-deluxe, many within walking distance (though dragging your luggage more than a few blocks may not be worth your bother). There's even a top-flight hotel right in the cruise terminal - you just take an elevator down to the cruise terminal. Even if you stayed at an airport-area hotel, you'll be a 25-minute drive from the port. We cover some of the choices in our DCL guidebook, but we could only scratch the surface.

As to shore excursions that are reasonably-priced and don't entail flying... the vast majority of excursions fit into that category. There are some high-priced excursions that include helicopter flights to glaciers, or float plane flights through Misty Fjords, but again, there aren't many of those.

Co-Author, PassPorter's Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line, and PassPorter's Disneyland and Southern California Attractions

http://www.passporter.com/
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Magic Post-Drydock
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsToo many to recall!
Dave Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Legend

Concierge Level: 7
We're going as a family in July (hopefully, still waiting for word that I will be granted the time off).
My oldest and youngest DDs went last July with oldest DD's husband and mother-in-law. They sailed from Seattle, so can't help you there.
Something that they said they really enjoyed and are hoping to do again is the sled dog place tour. They got to see sled dogs at work, ride a sled, and hold puppies (I think this may have been the best thing for them, as they were both missing their dogs). I have no clue what port this was in.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
PassPorter Guide

Community Rank: Trekker

We sailed from Seattle as well and did a float plane over Misty Fjords which sounds precisely like what you want to avoid!

I know the dog sledding excursions are really popular and vary based on the season as far as what's offered. We really enjoyed the Mendenhall Glacier, it really was a sight to behold.

There are a lot of Port Adventures to choose from you just have to narrow it down to what appeals to you. Have a great cruise and don't forget to pack your layers!
Twitter: pixiemichele
Blog:http://thatdisneychick.com
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW TRIPS: First trip in 1987 (I was 4 years old!) Sept. 2007-POR, Jan 2008-Poly, Engaged at the Castle (Nov 2009), Honeymooned on the Disney Magic (Sept. 2009), July 2009-CSR, September 2009-Poly, July 2010-CSR, Nov 2010-Poly, DL-Feb 2010 (DL Hotel) & April 2010. DCL Sept 2009 (Magic-Western Caribbean) Nov 2010 (Disney Wonder-Bahamian) February 2011 (Wonder-Mexican Riviera)
PixieMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow thanks!! I went through an favorited a bunch of port adventures. Now I just have to budget and see what Dave wants to do. Any other suggestions welcome!!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Concierge Level: 4
We sailed out of Seattle as well, so not sure about flights to Vancouver, although from NY we would have flown either Delta or Air canada.

I have a fear of small planes/helicopters so all of the excursions we did were either by boat or foot. I am blogging my reviews here:

http://www.disneytravelrecord.com/p/trip-reports.html

I will be getting to the excursions in the next day or so. We did the whae watching, glacier and lodge lunch in Juneau, the rainforest expedition in Ketchikan and the railroad in Skagaway with time on our own for exploring.

All were great.

Mary

My Previous TripsToo many family trips too count before 2000! POR Aug 2004,AKL Aug 2005, Married in Disney June 22, 2007 @ Disney's Wedding Pavilion & Reception at the Boardwalk! CSR Dec 2007 , Disney Magic - 7 Day Western Jan 2008, 1st Anniversary BWV June 2008,F&W AKL 2008, AKL Jan 2009, AKL June 2009, Poly CL Aug 2009, Saratoga Springs NYE 2010,BWV May 2010, DCL 10 Night Med Cruise Aug 18 2010,Food & Wine Oct 2010, DCL 5 Night Dream & AKL June 2011, Wonder to Alaska June 2012, Disney's Boardwalk Aug 2012, AKL F&G & SWW May 2013

Last edited by pixie08; 04-30-2013 at 11:17 PM..
pixie08 is offline   Reply With Quote