Fish Extender exchange - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Thank you to our forum sponsor:
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line > Planning Your Disney Cruise Voyage
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

Forum Sponsor: MouseEarVacations.com
Learn Why PassPorter Recommends This Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

Concierge Level: 7
Fish Extender exchange

Hi all! We'll be cruising for the first time this year and I've heard about FE exchanges. Most of my search for this has taken me to the Disboards, but is there a thread like that here on PassPorter? I'd like to participate, but I'd like to exchange with members of this board preferably

PS - I tried to search for this on the PP boards, but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Click here for "Castaway Cay Sandwich - 13 Glorious Days of Disney!

My June 2014 trip: "Girl's Work and Play Getaway" (2 Moms Play in Disney World)
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW - CBR July 1997, AKL - Jambo House June 2009, AKL - Kidani Village August 2011, Kidani Village Thanksgiving 2012, BCV Sept 2013, The Dream Sept 2013, CSR June 2014
goofyboysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Scout

Concierge Level: 5
Me too!
I'm cruising on the Magic in July and the FE on the other board has 26 cabins involved. Way too many for a first timer like me. On that board they have 57 groups of guests doing the same cruise as my family and here on PP I haven't found anyone (yet)...
I'd love to be involved in a small FE group just to get my feet wet!

Our recent trip to DLP means we have now visited every park worldwide TWICE!
Now I'm working on sailing each of the cruise ships...
My Countdown Counting down to: Disneyland 2015
282 days, 1 hours, 21 minutes
My Previous TripsDLR 1995, DLP 1998, DLR 1998, DLR 2002, WDW 2005, WDW 2006, WDW 2008, TDR 2010, HKDL 2010,WDW 2011,TDR 2012,HKDL 2012, DLP and Magic cruise 2013
Tigger71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's one of the things that got me a little nervous too. The number of groups involved would be overwhelming for me! Maybe we can start our own thing here on PP
But maybe split off at groups of 10-20? Sure sounds fun though...
Your trip is coming up so soon!

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsWDW - CBR July 1997, AKL - Jambo House June 2009, AKL - Kidani Village August 2011, Kidani Village Thanksgiving 2012, BCV Sept 2013, The Dream Sept 2013, CSR June 2014
Old 05-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
PassPorter Author

PassPorter's Club Passholder
What's this?

Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
Folks have tried to organize Fish Extender Exchanges from time to time, but it can be challenging, as it's a rare cruise that has more than a handful of PassPorter staterooms (we have more guidebook readers than that aboard, but they may not be participating in the community). Rather than focus on a specific activity, we feel it's best to use the Who's Cruising threads to locate fellow cruisers, and then work out amongst yourselves just what your "meet" activities might be.

A community the size of DISboards will have a fair number of members on nearly every cruise (or so it seems), so a specific activity like Fish Extenders can become a self-sustaining tradition. On the other hand, the small-town feeling that makes PassPorter Boards so appealing means we're not likely to have the "critical mass" to do something like the FEs on an ongoing basis.

Co-Author, PassPorter's Walt Disney World, PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line, and PassPorter's Disneyland and Southern California Attractions

http://www.passporter.com/
My Countdown Counting down to: Disney Magic Post-Drydock
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsToo many to recall!
Dave Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Good explanation - thanks Dave! (I don't think I could pull off FE gifts for 20 people, much less 100!)

My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 05-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Community Rank: Jetsetter

Concierge Level: 5
Its been my experience that if the FE groups get too big for a particular cruise they will divide the participants into 2 or more groups of 20 or less. For example, on my June 1 Med Cruise on the Magic, there is one group of 19, a second group of 18 and a third group of 6. We had the option of participating in all the groups or just one. Since DD and I love to get gifts in our FE every day we joined all three groups. But, because a lot of people overlapped (participated in more than one group) we only need to get gifts for about 32 cabins, instead of 43. If this sounds confusing, don't worry, it will make sense once you sign up.

That said, I would really encourage you to participate, especially if its your first cruise. You don't need to give fancy homemade crafts (I am not crafty). Some people give candy, stickers, pens, notebooks, hand sanitizer lotion or other things you can find in a dollar store. No one will measure you by the size or quality of your gift. I had no idea what we were in for the first time I signed up but I gave it a try and loved it. We have received a lot of cool things, including frames, custom magnets and notebooks, book markers themed to our cruise and even Disney drink coasters.

Our standard "gift" is a Pirate themed rubber duckie from Oriental Trading, a few pirate stickers or tattoos, and a Disney themed pen or pencil. We put them in a pirate themed goody bag (Target) and distribute our gifts on Pirate night.

Fun with Stitch while sailing in the Med on the Magic!
My Countdown Counting down to: Pre-swim camp trip to Disney!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsFirst trip: Disneyland Ju.y 1965 with my grandparents, 16th Birthday party at the Contemporary in 1973, many trips to WDW since then, most recent, Grand Floridian, November 2006, DCL Mediterranean Cruise July 2007, Margaret's 8th birthday trip to the Polynesian, June 2008, Grand Floridian Concierge November 2008, March and November2009, DCL Inaugural Baltic Cruise June 2010. Polynesian Resort November 2010, All Star Sports March 2011, Polynesian March 2011, Disney Dream Concierge, November 2011, Contemporary CL November 2011, Disney Fantasy Concierge, October 2012, Adventures By Disney Backstage Magic June 2012, Disney Magic Mediterranean Cruise June 2013, Polynesian October 2013, Tanzania Safari December2013 celebrating my Mom's 80th birthday, Yacht Club Club Level, June 2014
MickeyWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm a PPer at heart, but I have done FE's and meets with DISers on cruises.....our first cruise was a 3 nighter and the group was just the right size (fairly small). We LOVED our group and doing the FE's.
That being said, the last time DH and I cruised on a 7 night, the group was just too big, idk, maybe I just missed our orig. group. LOL (who, by the way we're all still friends and talk quite regularly and have also cruised together since as well)...

I WISH there were enough PPers on each cruise! I always check, but there doesn't seem to be anyone posting as Dave says.
You both are right. It would be great to get your feet wet in a smaller group here on PP!
For a Pixie Dust Sprinkled Trip!
My Previous TripsAKL/BWV/AKL/DCL (Nov 2014), BLT (May 2014), BLT/AKL (Dec 2013), AKV/DCL (Sept/Oct 2012), AKL (Jan 2011), AKL/BLT/DCL/BWV (Sept/Oct 2010), BLT (Sept. 2009), Boardwalk / AKL (April 26-May 10, 2009) May 1-WEDDING @ SBP!!!!, POP/AKL (SEPT 26-OCT 5, 2008), AS Movies/AKL (NOV 2003), CBR (NOV 2001), Disney Village Resort (NOV 1997) off-property (1987) Contemporary (1977)
Lorelei528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

great stuff guys - thanks!

My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 05-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

I guess I'm just lazy, but to me the FE deal is just too much work while I'm on a cruise! I'd probably enjoy it if it were a small group of people I "knew", like the PPers, but spending money and thought and suitcase-room on little gifts for people I don't know and then receiving a bunch of little favors to re-fill my suitcase or discard...... nope.

My Previous TripsMost recent WDW trip 2/14; Most recent DLR trip 7/12; Most recent DCL trip 7/12 Alaska Wonder
lauriep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

@laurie - you've got a point. I guess it's easy to get caught up in the "magic", lol

My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
I guess I'm just lazy, but to me the FE deal is just too much work while I'm on a cruise! I'd probably enjoy it if it were a small group of people I "knew", like the PPers, but spending money and thought and suitcase-room on little gifts for people I don't know and then receiving a bunch of little favors to re-fill my suitcase or discard...... nope.
This is exactly why we didn't do it for our last cruise. We hadn't really connected with anyone in our group.
But when we did do it, it was loads of fun, it wasn't too many rooms, so it didn't take too much time and we loved coming back to the room and looking in to see if we got anything.

In fact on our last cruise, DH was like..."aww, I miss our FE" LOL.
For a Pixie Dust Sprinkled Trip!
My Previous TripsAKL/BWV/AKL/DCL (Nov 2014), BLT (May 2014), BLT/AKL (Dec 2013), AKV/DCL (Sept/Oct 2012), AKL (Jan 2011), AKL/BLT/DCL/BWV (Sept/Oct 2010), BLT (Sept. 2009), Boardwalk / AKL (April 26-May 10, 2009) May 1-WEDDING @ SBP!!!!, POP/AKL (SEPT 26-OCT 5, 2008), AS Movies/AKL (NOV 2003), CBR (NOV 2001), Disney Village Resort (NOV 1997) off-property (1987) Contemporary (1977)
Lorelei528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

My first FE was great 8 cabins. It was fun doing, coming back & finding a little tokens in your FE. My September cruise there are 30 cabins. I'm looking forward to it.
I'm not crafty it is called the dollar store

My Countdown Counting down to: Celebrating 46th Anniversary on the Disney Fantasy
My Previous TripsWL 2004, Wonder 2005, Magic 2006, WL villia's 2006 Magic 2007,combine trip Riverside 2007, AKL DVC 2008, Magic 2009, SSR 2009, AKL, 2011. Plus many tmes I didn't keep track of. Own DVC at Saratogo Springs Resort, & Animal Kingdom Villa.
queen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm just an old curmudgeon! If the FE appeals to you, that's great! Just call me Garbo...... "I vant to be alooone."

My Previous TripsMost recent WDW trip 2/14; Most recent DLR trip 7/12; Most recent DCL trip 7/12 Alaska Wonder
lauriep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei528 View Post
This is exactly why we didn't do it for our last cruise. We hadn't really connected with anyone in our group.
But when we did do it, it was loads of fun, it wasn't too many rooms, so it didn't take too much time and we loved coming back to the room and looking in to see if we got anything.

In fact on our last cruise, DH was like..."aww, I miss our FE" LOL.
I don't read the DISboards often, but I guess I didn't realize how many people they have over there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen2 View Post
My first FE was great 8 cabins. It was fun doing, coming back & finding a little tokens in your FE. My September cruise there are 30 cabins. I'm looking forward to it.
I'm not crafty it is called the dollar store
The dollar store is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
I'm just an old curmudgeon! If the FE appeals to you, that's great! Just call me Garbo...... "I vant to be alooone."
You crack me up Laurie! (You know I had to say that quote out loud over and over)

My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 05-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

we did this on our first cruise in "11" and our next cruise is 2013 and to be honest i did it after everyone went to bed it took about an hour but it was fun plus getting learn the ship was another thing i learned while doing this . and since i ran it i did it twice and the second time i got up early before breakfest to do this it was alot of fun my daughter helped it was fun .
as per what i made we bought a $1.00 photo albaum and covered it with my own DCL with mickey and the date of our cruise . Next year im making door hangers with my own disney touch to it ? they are alot of fun we only had about 15 people in our group

My Countdown Counting down to: Star Wars and a Dream
let the magic begin
My Previous Tripstooo many to write aug 2013 BlT May 2014 Dream cruise and SWW
disney is offline   Reply With Quote