PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums

PassPorter - A Community of Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel Forums (http://www.passporterboards.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Kitchen: Food, Recipes, and Good Health (http://www.passporterboards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How do you buy your spices??? (http://www.passporterboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301664)

jenifermg0 06-11-2018 12:10 PM

How do you buy your spices???

So DH and I went to the store last night since we needed just a few things including thyme.

We have been getting most of our spices from the bulk/natural food section for the last several years. Just seem to be fresher and better. I also knew they were cheaper, but I had never done the math. Anyway, last night I did the math and I nearly hit the floor!!!!

Thyme from the bulk section:
$15.79 a POUND.
We bought enough to fill our spice jar (holds about same as prepackaged jars)
Cost us 79 cents!

Prepackaged jar (on sale) $3.99
Cost per OUNCE $4.99
Works out to $79.84 per pound!!!!!!!!!!

Prepackaged jar (not on sale) $6.85
Cost per OUNCE $9.13
Works out to $146.08 per pound!!!!!!!!!!

So obviously the lesson here is...always look at the actual cost per unit (pound, ounce, etc) and don't be afraid to shop in parts of the store you may have avoided for some silly reason. We paid 80-90% less in the bulk aisle than out of the spice aisle!!!!!!!!!

DH also used the bulk section to make up his own trail mix combo...tailored to exactly what he wanted. He probably ended up with at least 10 cups...cost him around $5 (and he likes some of the pricey stuff). I don't have exactly numbers on that, mainly because he was adding more stuff to his trail mix tub to fill it back up. Gonna have to try to get him to start from scratch and see what it actually costs.

gremlinkid73 06-11-2018 12:45 PM

We have a Mennonite store near us. They have a wonderful selection of spices in containers.
I bought Italian seasoning last week. I got .06 pound at 7.92 a pound for 48 cents.

revral 06-11-2018 10:41 PM

I buy my spices from https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/ . The spices and blends (they have a ton of blends) are fresh and cheaper than in the store and you they have ones that are harder to find and that I've never heard of. They're a small chain that has stores scattered around the country but you can order online.

NanaTink 06-14-2018 06:10 AM

I would have to find a store near me that has bulk spices...one I don't have to get on the highway to get to. I'd much prefer it!

Teresa 06-20-2018 07:10 AM

For packaged spices and herbs - I try to go to Aldi's. It's cheaper. For fresh - if we don't grow it, I get it from the store and know I'm paying a ton for it.

jenifermg0 06-20-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teresa (Post 4671888)
For packaged spices and herbs - I try to go to Aldi's. It's cheaper. For fresh - if we don't grow it, I get it from the store and know I'm paying a ton for it.

Buying fresh...it's always expensive...no way around that except growing it yourself that I can think of.
We are currently growing oregano, lemon thyme, basil and (of all things) pineapple sage. I know what to do with the first three...the last one - not so much!:crazy: I am hoping to move them indoors when fall rolls around.

NanaTink 06-20-2018 04:26 PM

We grow basil, thyme, sage, oregano, rosemary, parsley, and chives in large pots around our patio in the spring/summer. I love the fresh herbs. In the winter, I usually have some basil in my window,

gibbmetime 06-21-2018 12:48 AM

I tried growing an herb in small pots arranged in a rack. All withered.

MickeyWatch 06-24-2018 07:45 AM

I've got several herbs in small pots in a sunny corner of my kitchen- Basil, chives, and parsley. I also have a pot of Thai Basil that looked really cute at Home Depot but I haven't used it yet.

Lumieregirl 06-24-2018 12:48 PM

I have never seen spices / herb sold in bulk. At what stores are folks seeing these?

Her Dotness 06-24-2018 01:18 PM

In St. Louis, I see them at Whole Foods, Fresh Thyme and Lucky’s—all natural foods stores. Perhaps at Trader Joe’s, but the small TJ’s near us doesn’t carry them. Haven’t shopped at any other TJ’s.

I tried a few but don’t buy them at any of those as I think Spice Islands bottled spices/herbs taste fresher, expensive though they are.

The regular grocers near us carry quite a range of bulk foods but not spices/herbs.

jenifermg0 06-25-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumieregirl (Post 4672461)
I have never seen spices / herb sold in bulk. At what stores are folks seeing these?

We get them at Fred Meyer (which is a Kroger company). We also get them at a Safeway affiliate called Carrs (used to be locally owned). And there are also a couple of completely local stores that specialize in spices and tea where we get some of the more exotic one (when we need them - which isn't often). We go to the natural food section and there is usually a very good selection of basic herbs and spices ranging from cinnamon to basil to thyme to lavender to cat nip.

I've found that I can even make my own blends, such as Herbs de Provence...we use this a lot since we end up cooking a lot of chicken.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her Dotness (Post 4672466)
In St. Louis, I see them at Whole Foods, Fresh Thyme and Lucky’s—all natural foods stores. Perhaps at Trader Joe’s, but the small TJ’s near us doesn’t carry them. Haven’t shopped at any other TJ’s.

I tried a few but don’t buy them at any of those as I think Spice Islands bottled spices/herbs taste fresher, expensive though they are.

The regular grocers near us carry quite a range of bulk foods but not spices/herbs.

We must have a pretty good turn over at our stores. The ones we have purchased have always seemed fresh and nicely potent, but we are usually getting the more common ones. I will admit that the stuff in the jar is fresh, but so far we have been very lucky with the bulk section. If we want the less commonly used spices, we go to the specialty store...still cheaper and I don't have to buy a whole jar just for one recipe that I'm going to use a teaspoon out of.