Finally back & need some help! - PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel
PassPorter.com
Message Board Community
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Community PassPorter's Club Help!
   Welcome!  |   Answers  |  Guidelines  |  Shorthands  |  Newsletters  |  Our Guides  |   Photos  | Login Problems  |  Help  |  Bookmark Us |  Follow Us on |
Search

Go Back   PassPorter Community - Boards & Forums on Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, and General Travel > PassPorter's Walt Disney World Resort (Florida) > Making More Magic: Everything Else at Walt Disney World! > Running at Walt Disney World
Register

Welcome! We're happy you've found the PassPorter Community -- the friendliest place to plan your vacation to Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland, and the world in general! You are now viewing the PassPorter Message Board Community as a guest, which gives you limited access. As our guest, feel free to browse our messages by selecting the forum you want to visit from the list below.

To post messages and ask questions, join our FREE community today and you'll get access to tools and resources not available to guests, such as our vacation countown timers, "living" avatars, private messaging system, database searches, downloads, and a special PassPorter discount code. Registration is fast, simple, and completely free. Just click the Join Our Community link.

If you think you've already joined, log in below now. If you don't remember your member name or password, please visit our Member Name and Password Recovery page. You are also welcome to contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Community Rank: Adventurer

Finally back & need some help!

Yay-I am back. I have been able to access the threads with my mobile app but I have not been able to post a reply or anything for that matter. I can't access from work computer and I have been on my personal computer so little. But I have a snow day today so here I am! And here I go with asking for help.

Two weeks to go until Marathon weekend. My last long run was 18 and had to stop at 13. My GPS had quit working, running a new route so I was trying to plan it without one, I had a strange pain in side of foot that I tried to compensate for which gae me knee pain. I was then running so slow I was freezing (it was so cold that day.) I did a lot of walking in that 13. My maintenance runs have not been much longer than 3 or 4 and on a treadmill which I hate and do poorly on. And they have not been consistent. I didn't run at all that weekend before Xmas as it was just crazy nuts, with all the running around and family I had to see. Now I am supposed to do 20 this weekend as I didn't do it last weekend and I have no idea where I will pull it from. I am worried that my running has not been consistent enough and my body will just want to stop. I must admit, I did better training for my first Half then with this, my first FULL. How crazy is that? My head has not been in the game at all. And yet I know I will be so mad at myself, thinking after the race, "I should have done better" but it is my own fault. I know I just wanted to finish and that I wasn't concerned about time but now that Christmas is over and it is coming fast, I am so wanting to do WELL. I guess the help I am asking for is...is there anyone with some advice. I feel like I only loosely followed a plan and should have pushed myself harder. I am wondering if my using a plan that started back in June was just way too long. Just lost focus along the way. any encouragement would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

"Having WDW withdrawals BIG time"
My Countdown Counting down to: Fun With Friends in February!
See ya real soon! TTFN!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1989 offsite 1991 offsite 1993 Dixie Landings-honeymoon! 1996 SOG 2005 SOG Oct 2007-Shades of Green Oct 2008-SOG Oct 2009 Poly/Shades of Green Jan 2012 Shades of Green
My2suns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
Back in 2008 I sat next to a grandmother on my flight to Orlando. We chatted almost all the way there. It was my first Half at age 33 and her second Goofy at age 55. As if that wasn't inspiring enough, we started talking about our training. She had trained a good amount up to Thanksgiving weekend and then had serious problems with her sciatic nerves up and along her back (or wherever they are). Doc told her to stop running. She didn't, of course, but took a good 3 weeks off. Started up again slowly before Xmas and then did 14 miles after Xmas. That was her longest training run. She finished the Half in 3:15 and the full in 5:50 ish, to the best of my memory. I always think of her when I feel like I'm slacking and realize that come race day, I WILL be able to do it. Even if I walk more than planned, I WILL finish. That is my ultimate goal anyway!

And that's the nice thing about disney races is that you are never alone when walking. Their 7 hour finish time allows for walking without feeling guilty! And I'm a firm believer in its better to come to race day undertrained and injury free than overtrained with potential issues. I'd venture to say if you could get 10 (or anything more) in this weekend, you'll still be able to finish.
168 days, 21 hours, 18 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsVisited WDW 4 times while little from 1979 to 1990 ~ Jan. 1998, Doubletree ~ Nov. 1998, Disney Institute ~ Sept. 2000, E. Caribbean Disney Magic ~ July 2001, Courtyard Downtown Disney ~ March 2003, Comfort Inn ~ June 2004, POR ~ Jan. 2006, POFQ ~ May 2007, All Star Vacation home ~ Jan. 2008, POFQ Half Marathon ~ Sept. 2008, SSR ~ Nov. 2009, CBR ~ March 2010, AsMu Princess Half Marathon ~ Sept. 2010, Disneyland Half Marathon ~ Nov. 2010, CSR ~ Jan. 2011 WDW Marathon ~ Oct. 2011 Wine&Dine Half Marathon, POR ~ Jan. 2012 Relay Marathon, POP ~ May 2012 Expedition Everest Challenge, CBR Pirate room ~ Sept. 2012 Sheraton LBV ~ Nov. 2012 Wyndham Bonnet Creek ~ Jan. 2013 Goofy Challenge, POR Royal Room ~ Apr. 2013 POP ~
disney_duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

mom to 3 princesses and 1 prince's Avatar

Don't push for the 20 this close to race day. Instead, do a couple of miles more than your last long run, and be confident that what you've done so far will be enough to get you past that finish line. I did not train very well for my first marathon, and still finished in 7:00:07 with lots of walking! It can be done.

FWIW, I chose to do the Goofy the following year, followed Jeff Galloway's training plan, trained much better and knocked 24 minutes off of the previous year's marathon time!

The view from our patio at Old Key West

My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsContemporary Nov 1980, Village June 1986, DLR July 1999, off-site May 2001, Beach Club Villas Jan 2007, ASMu Sept 2007, Poly May 2008, ASMu Sept 2008, Pop July 2009, BLT Oct 2009, Pop Dec 2009, AS Sports Jan 2010, Pop Aug 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, Pop Apr 2011, DLR Sep 2011, SoG Jan 2012, Kidani Feb 2012, BWV Jan 2013 (first DVC trip!), BCV/OKW June 2013, VWL/BLT Feb 2014
mom to 3 princesses and 1 prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Community Rank: Trekker

I am there with you except I am training only for the half I have slacked some due to cold But I am going to Gatlinburg tomorrow to hike so I think that will pull me back in Hang in there!

My Countdown Counting down to: Glass Slipper
My Previous TripsWDW 95 All Star Sports,97 Port Orleans RS,99 Port Orleans RS,00 Port Orleans RS,01 FW Cabins,04 Port Orleans RS,05 POP & 07 ASM, 08 FW cabins, 09 POFQ, 10 POP, 11 POP, 12 CB, 13 POP Princess half
misty hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Community Rank: Navigator

You are so close! Dont give up!!

Funny I remember after finishing Wine and Dine I was mad at myself. I should have trained harder, I should have pushed a bit more, I should have had more milage on my legs before trying a half....I should have, I should have, I should have....what a nasty self talk cycle I was in. I also dont think it helped that when I submitted my Boston 10K time, that Disney predicted me to finish in 2:35:00. Running Boston and running Disney were two different beasts! A 7am start time and a 10PM start time! 6.2 miles to 13.1!! I know that didnt help my after race depression...felt like I didnt live up to what Disney thought I could do.....ugh.

Hubby and I have signed up for a half in April...and between you and me....Im just not into it. Its cold out. Driving to work today my car said it was 24....24 bone chilling, hypothermia inducing, numbing, snot freezing degrees. I cant run outside when its this cold. How the heck am I going to do it when I too have to do my 20 for Goofy in 2015? I know blah blah layer up blah blah warm clothing blah blah.... but I know that I will do it...and I know that you will do it too!

You will just take it one step at a time and if you only do 15...thats 15 more than someone sitting on the couch! Honestly I wish that I could do this race....when we did the Wine and Dine, I had in my hands the same medal that you will proudly be wearing when you cross the line in a few weeks! And I am so jealous of all of you that will be doing it! 20 miles is scary! But I know you can do it! Thsi is a crazy time of the year to begin with...and to add in training for a marathon takes guts....so kudos to you! You are going to do this!!! Dont give up!!!

"I am a runner because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far. I am a runner because I say I am. And no one can tell me I'm not."-- John Bingham
My Countdown Counting down to: Boston's 5K Medley!
1 days, 19 hours, 18 minutes
My Previous Trips1989 Carribean Beach Resort, 1993 Grand Floridian, 1999 Fort Wilderness Lodge, 2000 Yacht Club, 2001 Yacht Club, 2002 Yacht Club, 2003 Yacht Club, 2004 Yacht Club (Sept) and Grand Floridian (Dec), 2005 Beach Club, 2006 Yacht Club, 2007 Disney Cruise and Yacht Club, 2008 Boardwalk Inn (May) and Yacht Club (Sept), 2010 Yacht Club (August), 2011 Yacht Club, 2012 Yacht Club (May Expedition Everest) and Boardwalk Inn ( Nov Wine and Dine), 2013 Disneyland Hotel (August Dumbo Double Dare) and Beach Club (Nov. Wine and Dine)
kadterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you so much! I am so glad I posted to you guys. I needed that. I did not get to 20. In fact, I am not sure how far I ran because my app quit on me again, this time at 10.46. I knew the route I needed to do for the 20 but when I turned up the road, figuring I had about 9 miles to go, I couldn't see...the wind was whipping, the snow was coming down and running in snow is like running in sand. And I didn't feel safe with the cars. So I went down instead of up, planned a diff route only to find the main road becoming as dangerous. I am guessing I was @ least at 16 when I was done. I was cold, snow covered and tired of all the darn hills I was up and down on. What a workout. But at least I felt better than the awful 18 I had. So I may not get to 20 before the race(you are probably right Beth) but I have to think that I will fair better at WDW than here at home as it will be flatter, no snow(i hope) and much more entertainment along the way. It feels good to hear I am not alone with just not being "into it". Kim, I bet as you get in to the Spring months, it will get better! And I love that you are planning on doing the Goofy in 2015. I don't ever see that on my bucket list. I still think I will be mad at myself later, I had hoped to finish w/ a decent time I don't think I can put a time to it. I need to just do it. Tanya, thanks for the story about the woman on the plane with you. I love hearing that kind of story. It is inspiring. You all actually help to inspire me so thank you. And I hope you are all doing well in your training. Happy New Year!

See ya real soon! TTFN!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous Trips1989 offsite 1991 offsite 1993 Dixie Landings-honeymoon! 1996 SOG 2005 SOG Oct 2007-Shades of Green Oct 2008-SOG Oct 2009 Poly/Shades of Green Jan 2012 Shades of Green
Old 12-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Community Rank: Explorer

Concierge Level: 6
Yay Kelli! FWIW, when I trained for my first full, 16 was my longest distance in training as well. And that was intentional! I figured why torture myself more than is necessary? After all, 26 is only 10 more and I know I can do 10. So you can totally do this!! Awesome job!
168 days, 21 hours, 18 minutes
My PassPorter Bookshelf
My Previous TripsVisited WDW 4 times while little from 1979 to 1990 ~ Jan. 1998, Doubletree ~ Nov. 1998, Disney Institute ~ Sept. 2000, E. Caribbean Disney Magic ~ July 2001, Courtyard Downtown Disney ~ March 2003, Comfort Inn ~ June 2004, POR ~ Jan. 2006, POFQ ~ May 2007, All Star Vacation home ~ Jan. 2008, POFQ Half Marathon ~ Sept. 2008, SSR ~ Nov. 2009, CBR ~ March 2010, AsMu Princess Half Marathon ~ Sept. 2010, Disneyland Half Marathon ~ Nov. 2010, CSR ~ Jan. 2011 WDW Marathon ~ Oct. 2011 Wine&Dine Half Marathon, POR ~ Jan. 2012 Relay Marathon, POP ~ May 2012 Expedition Everest Challenge, CBR Pirate room ~ Sept. 2012 Sheraton LBV ~ Nov. 2012 Wyndham Bonnet Creek ~ Jan. 2013 Goofy Challenge, POR Royal Room ~ Apr. 2013 POP ~
disney_duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you Tanya! My excitement is starting to build. Before it was just plain nausea. Which I am sure to have right up until I am running (then perhaps after too!) :-) Hoping all the aches and pains will be less during Disney run for I won't have the hills I have here! We are so close. Good luck on your Goofy!

See ya real soon! TTFN!
My PassPorter Bookshelf
Old 01-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Community Rank: Navigator

You did it girl, you went out there and ran! In the snow no less! So what if you didnt do the full twenty! When you are actually there doing it, just take it in chunks....5k, 10k and holy-cow-I-did-it-K!! Now is the best time of your training! Taper! Whoo hoo!!

"I am a runner because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far. I am a runner because I say I am. And no one can tell me I'm not."-- John Bingham
My Countdown Counting down to: Boston's 5K Medley!
1 days, 19 hours, 18 minutes
My Previous Trips1989 Carribean Beach Resort, 1993 Grand Floridian, 1999 Fort Wilderness Lodge, 2000 Yacht Club, 2001 Yacht Club, 2002 Yacht Club, 2003 Yacht Club, 2004 Yacht Club (Sept) and Grand Floridian (Dec), 2005 Beach Club, 2006 Yacht Club, 2007 Disney Cruise and Yacht Club, 2008 Boardwalk Inn (May) and Yacht Club (Sept), 2010 Yacht Club (August), 2011 Yacht Club, 2012 Yacht Club (May Expedition Everest) and Boardwalk Inn ( Nov Wine and Dine), 2013 Disneyland Hotel (August Dumbo Double Dare) and Beach Club (Nov. Wine and Dine)
kadterp is offline   Reply With Quote